PDA

View Full Version : Please flame me now :(

Alysser
10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Mikey almost killed himself about 15 minutes ago, and it all would've been my fault. I wasn't watching him like I should have been. He was under my bed, nothing unusual. Little did I know he was chewing my phone charger, I DON'T GIVE two poops about my phone charger I am just glad he is alive! It was plugged in, he chewed through the insulator and the wires were right there. If he had chewed one more bite before I caught him he would've been fried. I am such a stupid person. I feel beside myself right now thinking what could've happened if I hadn't looked at the time. I was to the point where I almost cried...I am so shaken right now.

The charger no longer works because he chewed the connector but honestly, I don't give a rats butt about that. Luck was on my side! I feel so dumb, please yell and flame me now. :mad:

Taz_Zoee
10-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Alyssa, I don't think anyone will "flame" you. Things like this happen. I don't know that it would have been enough power to be fatal. Sure it probably would have hurt like hell. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I'd like to think about it.
You are a good dog mommy (or sister). I've been in similar situations several times. Not all were life threatening, but they sure made me feel bad. We learn from these things. It was meant to be that you happened to see him when you did. Now you'll be more careful about things like that in the future.

happylabs
10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Boys will be boys...we can't watch them 24/7. Thank goodness you found him in time. Stinker.

caseysmom
10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
How old is he? If he is young he will outgrow it. I really wonder how bubba made it through puppyhood alive to be honest, he chewed everything he could:eek:

By the way I would never flame you...stuff happens, just learn from the experience and move ahead.

MonicanHonda
10-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Naahhh, you aren't a bad mummy. It happens to the best of us. At least you caught the pup. :)

Freedom
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
RB Dazzle chewed through more cords than I care to think about, and lived through it all. I eventually rubbed Vaseline on all the cords to stop him.

You can't move all of them out of reach, floor lamps, etc, not without making life awkward.

BTW, using Vaseline means all -- and I mean ALL -- the dust bunnies will gravitate to those cords. :rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
10-26-2009, 07:37 PM
No flaming here, been there. I'm glad Mikey is alright, that's all that matters now. Layla chewed my fish tank pump and light cords in half one time, don't know if she pulled them out of the wall before she chewed them or not. Hubby was supposed to be watching her while I showered, she was just a puppy.
My cat Sassy chewed my answering machine cord in half when she was PO'd because I brought Missy home and also used to pull lights out of the sockets on our Christmas tree while it was turned on!
We all try to be careful, but still things happen, like I said, at least Mikey is ok.

Riptide
10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Nah, don't worry too much. It happens. Like everyone said, the important thing is that you caught him in time!

Maybe you should have named him Suddenly. If you turn your back for a nanosecond, there is "suddenly" a puppy where he's not supposed to be! ;) Ah the joys of puppyhood :D

Casper
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
This brought back so many memories...

When Frisk was a puppy he chewed all the way through the cord of a plugged-in electric pencil sharpener. Then, when he was going through another stage of chewing he nearly chewed the cord to the N64 in half. He didn't stop there; he did the same thing to all the controllers. That is only the tip of the iceberg! Its a wonder he didn't kill himself, but he always walked away unscathed.

I guess what I am getting at is that I don't think there is a single person here that can justifiably flame you for a complete accident. If so, I deserve a good flaming, too! ;)

boomersooner
10-26-2009, 09:09 PM
God watches out over our little pups.....especially our little boy pups!! No one would have blamed you because we have all had instances with our pets and/or kids where trouble could have happened. Don't worry about it!!!! You're a great mom!!!

Alysser
10-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Honestly, when I thought of it later, I don't think he could have died from the shock, but who knows? Thank you guys, I still feel so dumb for not simply watching the stinker though :o He definitely scared me though, and I am glad he didn't get hurt. At the moment, I was just caught up and of course, thought of only the worst. :o

CountryWolf07
10-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Oh don't you worry! Boy puppies are such trouble. ;) Hank is just a year old and he gets into EVERYTHING, he will chew ANYTHING that he thinks is interesting to him - socks, t-shirts, hats, jewelry, bones, magazines.. they will outgrow it eventually, but sounds like Mikey is just like Hank - just very curious!!

Queen of Poop
10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
You can't be all eyes all the time. No one can. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Twisterdog
10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Rocky and/or Zeke ... the two most recent puppies ... chewed through the TV cable in two rooms, the electric blanket cord and the cord for the heat/massage in our very expensive Lazy Boy recliner. Everything was plugged in at the time, and they obviously didn't get shocked enough to discourage their bad behavior. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
10-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Let's see....things Lady got into as a pup.....

Glasses (2 pairs)
an entire pan of brownies
A videotape
Countless boxes of kleenex
Unknown amounts of paper towel
TP
Zip loc bags (a whole box)
plastic wrap
a book
Skunks
A loaf of bread......
A steak knife

Even if you watch them constantly, they get into things.

There's no such thing as puppy proof, you just do the best you can.

It happens.

boomersooner
10-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes, boy pups are messes....Boomer will be two in February, and he still chews things, running through the house with underwear or spoons in his mouth! Heck, he ate the eraser end of my daughter's pencil the other day....metal and all......

K9karen
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
How would our hearts survive without mischievous pups? :p
Take a deep breath, sweetie. Mikey (aka: Stinkeroo) is fine, thank god.

I always thank my stars that RB Cody ( a wee pup when I got him) took an instant liking to tennis balls which, I guess, kept him from chewing anything else.

You'll just have to grow eyes behind your head, huh? A pup is a pup is a pup! Please kiss that goofball for me.

Miranda_Rae
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
At least he wasn't hurt thats all that matters! My dog has gotten into SOOO many things. Shes always been kinda of a food theif, and while i was off at college my parents were watching her, and they left the house and my scrounge rat decided she wanted to eat 4 bags of semi sweet chocolate (which is like 48 ozs). We had just moved and my parents had all their cooking supplies still in boxes. She must have opened it some how. My parents came home and found my dog in shock and had to rush her to the doggy ER which was like an hour away in St. Cloud. They had to pump her tummy and put her on iv drips and a bunch of stuff. I was freaking out cuz i was over 800 miles away! Lucky she came thru that experience fine and still thinks that chocolates good for her.:rolleyes: So at least he wasnt hurt and you have him to cuddle and kiss! :)

moosmom
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
No flaming needed. I think the closeness of what could've happened is lesson learned enough.

It also gives us a heads up on what can happen when chords are laying around just looking for someone to chew on.

Don't beat yourself up. Oh, and thanks for the heads up. I've since lifted my chords off my floor and they are now behind my stereo on the shelf, unreachable.