PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I am having total hip replacement surgery

sasvermont
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
The surgery has been scheduled for some time now. I am a bit nervous, to say the least. There has been much preparation for this event and I cannot wait to get this over and done with.......

I will be in the hospital for three days, coming home on Friday. I suspect I will be on pain pills for a few weeks.....:eek:

So you will probably hear lots from me since I will be housebound for nearly six weeks while recovering.

The cats will be happy having me here 24/7!

pomtzu
10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Good luck. I had a fractured hip, but no replacement, and it was a long haul back to "normal" (whatever that is :eek:). Won't you be going to a rehab for a week or so before they let you go home? I had about a 10 day stay in the rehab section of the hospital after 4 days in the surgical orthopedic section, and with intensive physical therapy every day, and then in home therapy once I got home.
Keep us posted. Hoping for the best for you and that you'll soon be better than new!

sasvermont
10-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I am having M.I.S. (smaller incision and less cutting of muscles) so the recovery should be less than regular surgery. I will have the surgery at noon tomorrow and come home on Friday, same time. PT will come to my house.

Thanks for you good wishes. I am scared to death.

Bengalz
10-26-2009, 08:57 AM
A dear friend has had both hips replaced and it has made a huge difference for him. His mobility is so much improved :D

The recovery time takes some patience and I do hope you have someone who can help you out from time to time. You need to be careful and rest and let those furry nurses do their job:D

Good luck with the surgery,
Betty

Cookiebaker
10-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Best wishes, SAS! I hope everything goes so smoothly! {{HUGS}}

Randi
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
I hope all goes well! Just think how many times they have done this before.

It will be boring having to stay home and not moving around too much, but you have PT and your little furry nurses. :)

Sending best wishes for a succesful surgery! Fister sends headbumpies. :love:

Freedom
10-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Good luck to you! Prayers for an uneventful, and speedy recovery.

Killearn Kitties
10-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Very best wishes for a successful surgery. The girls will have their paws crossed!

Pinot's Mom
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Best wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery! :)

Felicia's Mom
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I hope everything goes well.

Vio&Juni
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
We'll be thinking of you!

Queen of Poop
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Wishing you all the best with the surgery, enjoy the recovery time with the fur nurses.

Karen
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Oh, congratulations and good luck! I hope you have good, goofy slippers to bring with you to wear while you are there, it's always a good conversation starter, or at least makes people smiles.

I am sure the cats will be THRILLED to have you home all the time, but things may get a bit loud at feeding time, as they'll have to wait until you get back up to normal speed of movement! :) We'll be thinking of you!

sirrahbed
10-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Wishing you the best Sallyanne! The people I have known who have already had this surgery are feeling so much better!! That will include YOU very soon. Yes and the campers will help nurse you back to full recovery:D

Anikaca77
10-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Good Luck, I'll be thinking about you.

Melissa

ChrisH
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Be thinking of you sas. Sending prayers, positive thoughts, good wishes, love ... and anything else I can think of, for all to go well and a swift and easy recovery. {{big hugs}}

lvpets2002
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
:love: Ouchy ouchy.. Best Wishss for sure of a Speedy Recovery.. Sending Prayers & Huggss..

lizbud
10-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Wishing you the best of luck with the surgery & a speedy recovery.:)

ramanth
10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Good luck SaS! :love: I hope you have a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Cinder & Smoke
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
GOOOD Luck, SaS!! ;)

Have you *marked* your hips with directional suggestions? >>>

1) NOT this one - the OTHER one!

2) THIS is the One - cut here >>> - - - - - - - - -

Maybe buy a round of coffee before they start?

{{{Hugs}}}

kokopup
10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly in surgery and you have a quick uneventful recovery.

Catty1
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Best of luck - do get the goofy slippers!

I know a few people who have had hip and knee replacements. Return to normal takes time and patience, but everyone I know is REALLY enjoying the benefits of it.

HUGS and looking forward to hearing from you.:love::love::love:

caseysmom
10-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Best of luck. My mother had the hips and knees done and she said the hips were much easier...and that was years ago. They know what they are doing with these procedures so I am sure you are in good hands.

Best of luck for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

sasvermont
10-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Thank you for your comments and good wishes. I have been in pain for about a year. I really do need relief and surgery is the only solution. The thought of someone cutting off bone and drilling down into my bones gives me the chills. I have faith in the surgeon. Many, many people have this procedure done so I feel comfort with that as well.

I will let you know how it went when I return on Friday.

Thanks again. :love::love::love:

The surgery is scheduled for 11:20 tomorrow. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Grace
10-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Good thoughts and many prayers headed your way.

Edwina's Secretary
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
My thoughts will be with you Sally Anne!

cassiesmom
10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Prayers and good thoughts for sasvermont!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Good luck- I hope your recovery is swift and you get extra love from your pets when you get home!

Asiel
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Good luck with the surgery and a speedy recovery. Hope all goes smoothly.

Alysser
10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope all goes well with your surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery too!

*LabLoverKEB*
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Best of luck to you! I pray that everything goes as planned during, and after surgery recovery. Let us know how everything goes, you know, when you are up and feeling better!;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I hope that everything goes well and that you have a speedy recovery. Please take care.:)

Donnaj4962
10-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Good luck with your surgery! Here's to happy kitty nurses and a quick recovery! Looking forward to seeing many posts while you recuperate.

Barbara
10-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Oh Sallyanne,
if I had seen that yesterday I would have called you- but as I am such a chicken when it comes to surgery it is better I didn't ;)

I keep all my fingers crossed for a good recovery and will be thinking of you.
I'll call you when you are home.
Lots of love and hugs

Barbara

Kirsten
10-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Best wishes to you! Hope everything goes well, and you'll have a speedy recovery! I can understand so well that you're nervous, so was I before my back surgery.

The cats will be happy having me here 24/7!

Now THAT is something to look forward to, isn't it? :D

Kirsten

Vermontcat
10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Sas, I hope that all goes well with your surgery and that you have a quick and easy recovery.
Sending hugs your way.:love:
I'm sure all your kitties will give you lots of snuggle time to help you recover quickly.
(Let me know if you want some new pj's, slippers or a robe, I get a great discount at work.)

Pam
10-27-2009, 08:05 AM
The surgery is scheduled for 11:20 tomorrow. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Since I am just seeing this today it is not too late to say a little prayer for a successful surgery and good recovery. We will be looking forward to a post saying that all went well. (((hugs)))

AdoreMyDogs
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Prayers have been said. Sas, I pray everything goes smooth and, after recovery, you find the comfort and relief you deserve. Hugs! :love:

Cookiebaker
10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Thinking about you right now {hugs}

jennielynn1970
10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Thinking of you, and hoping that your surgery is going well and that you'll be on the road to recovery and feeling much better really soon!!!

Hugs... Jennie

sirrahbed
10-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi SallyAnne - wondering about you right at this moment. It is over and now time to sleep off the anestheia and start healing up - hopefully close to pain free:)

Prairie Purrs
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I hope your surgery was a complete success and that healing and PT go smoothly. Relax when you get home and enjoy some kitty snuggles!

Medusa
10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I think we all know someone who has had this surgery and all came out fine. A friend of mine had both done and he did remarkably well. I hope that all is well w/you and that you're well on the road to recovery. Can you imagine the greeting you'll get from your kitties upon your arrival? Lots of snuggling and cuddling, I'm sure.

Daisy and Delilah
10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I am just seeing this. I am sending thoughts and prayers out. I sure hope all went well today and your recovery is very quick and you're back to normal right away.:)

K9karen
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I hope all went well. If my 96 y.o uncle outran the therapists in less than a week.. you can too! But I can totally understand your fear. I hope you're feeling OK. My replacement(s) will be soon.

carole
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I wish you all the best with your operation and a speedy recovery, i would be scared too, i have hip pain myself and am wondering if what you are having will be on the cards for me in the future,not something to look forward to.

My friends sister is 56 and has had both hips replaced, infact one just very recently, she is doing fantastic, and the recovery is amazing, so hang on in there and soon you will be pain free and a new woman. take much care, will be thinking of you.:love:

Queen of Poop
10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Thinking of you. Hoping it went well.

joycenalex
10-28-2009, 03:50 PM
having had a few surgeries, i can attest to the healing powers of lap cats....check in soon, BTW i found reading PT while on percocet the first day...well my ability to read and understand was kinda....off:eek::D

Cinder & Smoke
10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Hope All is Well!! ;)

Does anyone know where she is?
Sure would be nice if someone could call and check on her -
and pass along a personal greeting.

Anone know which Hospital she's in??

Vermontcat
10-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Phred, I sent you a PM, let me know if you need more info.

Cinder & Smoke
10-29-2009, 12:30 AM
:)
"Vermontcat" found her!

She's in "Fletcher Allen Healthcare"
www.fletcherallen.org (http://www.fletcherallen.org/)
111 Colchester Ave
Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 847-0000

Patient Name = Sallyanne Smith, Room 23-1

Use this link to SEND HER an E-mail >>>
http://www.fletcherallen.org/patients_visitors/visitors_guide/send_a_gift/send_patient/

I talked to her MidNight Nurse ... who was super friendly but wouldn't tell
me ANYthing! She did promise to tell SaS (in the morning) that I'd called
and left *Greetings* from Pet Talk.

Killearn Kitties
10-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Good work people! :D It will be nice for her to receive some messages of support. I will try it out right now.

Barbara
10-29-2009, 05:09 AM
It seemed to work! Thanks Zoe and Phred:)

Vermontcat
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
It was easy for me to find where she was since I live in the same local area.
I hope she doesn't mind getting a bunch of messages from Pet Talkers now.
I will send her a quick message now.

Catty1
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Someone in the office there is gonna be really busy! :D Just sent her a message too!

Husky_mom
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
the message thing is so cool..

left her one too ;).. healing purrs...

Daisy and Delilah
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the link!! I sent her an email. I hope she's recovering nicely and coming home soon.:)

Cinder & Smoke
10-29-2009, 03:17 PM

SaS sez "HI" to All - and THANKS You for the E-mails!! ;)

She's still alive, and recovering nicely from Today's Medical Adventure ...

Scheduled for a morning round of PT, she was given her mornng meds.
PT completed, she was offered MORE meds.
After TWO rounds of pain meds ... she steped out for a rock concert ...
missed lunch, missed afternoon PT ... and just recently got her eyes to
work together and became able to speak in short sentences.

Roomie never did get her morning meds.

She's now managed to READ the PT e-mails that were delivered
while she was "out" ... they're starting to make some sense, now.

Having been sent to "outer space" for most of the day, she's not so sure
she'll get the Boot out of the Hospital tomorrow --- she's a bit behind on the PT.

Stay Tuned for the Evening Adventure.

:D

lizbud
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM

SaS sez "HI" to All - and THANKS You for the E-mails!! ;)

She's still alive, and recovering nicely from Today's Medical Adventure ...

Scheduled for a morning round of PT, she was given her mornng meds.
PT completed, she was offered MORE meds.
After TWO rounds of pain meds ... she steped out for a rock concert ...
missed lunch, missed afternoon PT ... and just recently got her eyes to
work together and became able to speak in short sentences.

Roomie never did get her morning meds.

She's now managed to READ the PT e-mails that were delivered
while she was "out" ... they're starting to make some sense, now.

Having been sent to "outer space" for most of the day, she's not so sure
she'll get the Boot out of the Hospital tomorrow --- she's a bit behind on the PT.

Stay Tuned for the Evening Adventure.

Have you heard anything since this last update? I hope the recovery
goes well.:)

Cinder & Smoke
10-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Well,
She's STILL a Hospital Inmate! :(

She flunked her goin-home test this morning ... too *drunk* to walk.

Seems she got some "morning meds" that put her into Loopie-Land and she
didn't impress her PT Coach with her staggering skills.

She's been off the hard-core stuff today, and SHE sez she can walker
a straight line now.

Come morning, she gets another PT session and a walker/stagger test -
if she passes, she gets to go home.

She'll get a once-a-day visit from a Visiting Nurse, and has friends on
stand-by if she needs anything.

Hope she stays *sober* tonight.

slick
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh, I know only too well what those "meds" can do to you. I've had SAS on my mind for days but have not posted until now.

Get better SAS and get yourself home. {{{hugs}}}:love::love:

sasvermont
10-31-2009, 12:18 PM
It was so sweet to received th email messages while recovering.

It is SOOOOOO nice to be home again. Just the fresh air was wonderful. Hospitals are so stuffy, air wise.

The surgery was successful. I can put all my weight on the hip but I must use a walker for balance. Getting in and out of bed and chairs is a difficult thing, but other than that, I have little discomfort.

It is time for a nap, so I cannot stay on line tooooo long this afternoon.

Thank you again for the well wishes. It was really special to have so many pieces of emails, all decorated and easy to read!

I will tune in later.

Thanks, Phred, for the phone calls and caring so much! You are just the sweetest.

Off to nap.

Love to all!

Sas and her happy cats.:love::love::love:

*LabLoverKEB*
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
I am soo glad you are home and well on your way to recovery!!!:) I'm also thrilled that the surgery went as planned... that's always a good thing!;)

sirrahbed
10-31-2009, 12:43 PM
So glad to read that you are home and yes, bet the air smells fresh and clean. Your own sheets and bathroom make such a difference after a hospital stay!! Thank you for checking in SallyAnne! Rest up and enjoy walking without pain:)

Medusa
10-31-2009, 01:17 PM
So glad that all went well. There's no place like home, eh? Have a good snoozie. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're now home and that everything went well.:) Now hopefully you'll recover quickly without too much discomfort. Take care.

lizbud
10-31-2009, 05:12 PM
I am so glad to hear the good news.:) Just take it easy & rest all
you can & start healing.:)

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
So glad to hear that you're home, and everything went well. I can't believe that you can put weight on it already!!! It was about a month before they would let me do that. I had to use a walker for a good 3 months, and then a cane for a good while after that too. You'll be ready to go out dancing in that amount of time. :p Seriously tho - don't try to over-do it. Just take it slow and easy and enjoy the time that you can just relax and do as little as possible. :D

cassiesmom
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Yay, Sas, I was just checking in for an update ... I am so glad to know you are home! :)

Rachel
10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Over and done with has to be the best part. A slow and steady recovery should be the next goal. No need to rush anywhere with that walker. A hearty congratulations for seeing this thing through. Feel better - that can be done really fast.

Barbara
11-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Sallyanne, that is wonderful news. Hope you and the kitties are getting better every day (well- they are already ;))

Randi
11-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear it went well and you're back home. :) Now, get the rest you need and you will soon be walking around without pain.

Take care!

Kirsten
11-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear you're back home, and that the surgery went well!

Now pamper yourself and get as much rest as you need! And I'm sure the kitties will be wonderful nurses!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :)

Kirsten

Daisy and Delilah
11-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Great to hear you're home Sallyanne!!! I hope you and the Happy Cats are having a blast. There will be good times and bad times. Get better fast!!!:D

sasvermont
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Last nite did not run as smoothly as I had hoped it would. I had tried to decrease the pain med amount and wow, it came back to bite me in the butt! I woke up stiff, in pain and thinking...."what was I thinking, decreasing meds the first night". So after a little whining, I got out of bed and took more pain meds and a muscle relaxant. It did the trick.

Lucy has not left my side. She knows I am sore and every so softly walks next to me to the bathroom and sleeps as near to me as possible but not on me.

Gotta run, have company.

Catty1
11-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Welcome home! You'll be sleeping a lot, I think - and I hope your fur nurses are doing things right and 'sleeping on the job'! ;)

Wishing you speedy healing!

Pembroke_Corgi
11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I hope you recover quickly. I bet your cats are glad to have you back!

ChrisH
11-01-2009, 10:13 AM
It's great to read all went well and you are back home. Sounds as if Lucy has taken on the role of head nurse,http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/rub.gif little sweetheart.

Sending a prayer that your recovery is swift, also hope that it will be as pain free as possible ... just keep taking those pills to make sure. :)

Felicia's Mom
11-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm glad the surgery is over and you are home. Take care.

Cinder & Smoke
11-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I had tried to decrease the pain med amount and wow,
it came back to bite me in the butt!

Some patients are *slow learners*! :p

Early in my hospial stay, I was awakened by the MidNight Nurse ...

"Tyme for your meds."

WHAT is it?

"It's to help you sleep."

Don't want it - I WAS asleep till you woke me up! :mad:

She left ... and I lay AWAKE the rest of the night!
:rolleyes:

Memo: Take whatever you're offered or allowed to!
;)

Cinder & Smoke
11-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I had tried to decrease the pain med amount and wow,
it came back to bite me in the butt!

Some patients are *slow learners*! :p

Early in my hospial stay, I was awakened by the MidNight Nurse ...

"Tyme for your meds."

WHAT is it?

"It's to help you sleep."

Don't want it - I WAS asleep till you woke me up! :mad:

She left ... and I lay AWAKE the rest of the night!
:rolleyes:

Memo: Take whatever you're offered or allowed to!
;)

Pam
11-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Welcome home! I'm glad that all went well. It sounds like Lucy has gone from camper to head nurse. Continued wishes for a steady and complete recovery! Keep checking in so we can monitor your progress from afar. :p

lizbud
11-03-2009, 04:48 PM
SAS, how are you doing? I hope things are going ok for you. Do you
have someone to ckeck in with you,or help you with meals,etc.

sasvermont
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Each day is easier. I have had Visiting Nurses and PT people here and they will not need to come back for a week, since I am in such good repair right now. Neighbors are getting my mail and friends are stopping by, so much so, that I am dying for a day to myself.

I am putting my full weight on the hip while walking with the walker. I am still stiff and will be for some time but not in pain, as long as I take the pills. I am trying to stretch out the amount of time between medications ... rather than reduce the amount. Everyone has recommended I do it that way.....

Meals are easy and since I knew I was having the surgery, it has been easy for me to eat each day. I have a freezer filled with emergency dinners etc. so I will be set for sometime.

I called my employer to let them know that I survived and would be checking in each week.

So don't worry about me from this point forward. Time is what is going to allow me to heal.

I have no more pain in my hip when I walk. It's wonderful.

lizbud
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Each day is easier. I have had Visiting Nurses and PT people here and they will not need to come back for a week, since I am in such good repair right now. Neighbors are getting my mail and friends are stopping by, so much so, that I am dying for a day to myself.

I am putting my full weight on the hip while walking with the walker. I am still stiff and will be for some time but not in pain, as long as I take the pills. I am trying to stretch out the amount of time between medications ... rather than reduce the amount. Everyone has recommended I do it that way.....

Meals are easy and since I knew I was having the surgery, it has been easy for me to eat each day. I have a freezer filled with emergency dinners etc. so I will be set for sometime.

I called my employer to let them know that I survived and would be checking in each week.

So don't worry about me from this point forward. Time is what is going to allow me to heal.

I have no more pain in my hip when I walk. It's wonderful.

Great news.:D Thanks.

Karen
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
That sounds great, I am glad you are doing so well, and have plenty of people on hand if you need them! How are the cats taking all this? Does the walker just annoy them or are they curious about it at all?

Catty1
11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Fantastic! You had said they were using a less invasive surgery, and it has gone really well!

No chasing the cat toys for a while, though. Just THROW them! :p:D

K9karen
11-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the wonderful update! You'll be polishing your skateboard before you know it! :D Thanks also for giving me encouragement as I wait for my day to come! I'm glad your kitty nurses are taking good care of you!

sirrahbed
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Glad to read that things are going so well - it must be heaven to finally have the pain gone:D Successful surgery can be so amazing!!!

sasvermont
11-04-2009, 06:16 AM
There is a method where the incise the front of your leg and then a couple of small cuts nearby. There are too many con's on the results for me. I suspect by the time I need to have to second one done, maybe in five years, the industry will have the anterior approach down to a science. One of the things holding them back is that the operating room has to have a specific chair or bed and the surgeon(s) need to have lots of training before doing the real thing.

Last nigh was pretty quiet. I did get to sleep on my unoperated on side for a sort time. I ended up with a huge pain in that leg's groin muscle. So, I will wait for a while before I try that again.

Today is a quiet day for me, visiting wise. I have one neighbor coming over and no nurses, thank goodness.

The cats are being silly, but then, aren't they always?

It is getting cold here, with temperatures dropping in to the 20 degree range. The main source for the heater is in the living room, so, to keep their skinny little bodies warm, Chloe and Jun-get-down, spent lots of time in that room, waiting for the blower to stop, so they can jump on the top of the heater. Miley taught them that trick. Lucy could care less about the heater and spends all of her waking hours with her MOM! All three cats have been very friendly with the nurses and visitors. I sometimes wonder if someday, one of those furry creatures would have the silliness to hop into a tote bag or computer bag and be carried off by mistake.

Time is going to fly by if for no other reason than because I have been sleeping away, so much of my days, these days.

Karen
11-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Ah, so the cats are keeping you mused, at least! ;) Glad things are still going well, and that you have a quieter day ahead.

Queen of Poop
11-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Keep up the good work kitties!!

Cataholic
11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Glad to hear things are smoothing out! My niece's nurses come by with treats in the bag for the dogs, and my sister has commented on whether someone might jump in the bag undetected (I presume she means a cat, as her dogs are B.I.G.).

Best wishes for pain free days, full weight bearing status and normal activity levels. :)

Anikaca77
11-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you.

Take care & keep us updated when you can,
Melissa