PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction/Fantasy thread.

RICHARD
10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
I love sci fi and I came across the latest Stargate series and I really like it.

I know there are Trekkies, Star Wars, BattleStar fans here and just wondered about what you watch, read, look forward to and what are your real faves!

I do like the post apocalypse books and movies too.

What do you like?

DJFyrewolf36
10-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes yes and YES!!! I am a sci fi geek to the core! I love everything from Star Trek to Battlestar Galactica to Stargate SG1 and everything in between...I read the books too :D

I liked the new Star Trek movie...I think if they went on with the universe they established a good new series could result.

I'd add more but Im in the middle of watching a Star Trek TNG episode...:D

finn's mom
10-25-2009, 04:00 AM
My favorite tv show ever was only on Fox for one season, and I believe reruns can be seen on the Scifi network. It's called "Firefly" and it is the only show I have ever seen that I could watch over and over. There are only fifteen episodes, and I've seen each one probably close to 40 times a piece. ;)

I love this set of fantasy books by David Eddings, too...it's been years since I have read them, they had names like "The Belgariad", "The Mallorean", etc.

Alysser
10-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Trekkie here, I really only like the original series. I think TNG could be okay, but the original series is my all time favorite and personally I think it's the best. The movies...well not so much. Except maybe the Wrath of Kahn. I haven't watched Star Wars since I was like..9 or 10 but I loved it then and I am sure I will feel the same way about it now. I have seen almost all TOS episodes, because unfourtunately there is only 3 seasons and I can't see myself wanting to watch many of them over and over again. They were all pretty good, except a select few, but it's just not something I think I could watch again lol. A few episodes, I will watch over and over again they were just that good. So, I am sure I will eventually get to TNG..is it worth watching?

Sci-fi is the best, honestly. I liked the SCI-FI channel before it changed to Sy-Fy and before they took all the good shows off. The ORIGINAL Sci-fi is epic :D I love the corny old shows so much :love: They are great.

The new Star Trek movie was awesome too, but nothing beats the original series. :cool:

As for books, I've only read one Sci-Fi (Star Trek) book, but I would love to see what book series people are interested in so I can read them. I am sure they're many great Sci-fi books out there.

I am into Fantasy heavily to, if you consider Narnia (books not movies, ew.) and harry potter (books and movies) fantasy!

DJFyrewolf36
10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
My favorite tv show ever was only on Fox for one season, and I believe reruns can be seen on the Scifi network. It's called "Firefly" and it is the only show I have ever seen that I could watch over and over. There are only fifteen episodes, and I've seen each one probably close to 40 times a piece. ;)

I love this set of fantasy books by David Eddings, too...it's been years since I have read them, they had names like "The Belgariad", "The Mallorean", etc.

HOORAY to another Firefly fan! I liked Serenity (the movie based on the series) but thought they could do a better job. A friend of mine had the series on DVD and I watched it over and over myself....Jaynestown is my favorite episode :D

Oh, google Jayne Hoodie, you'll love it!

Cinder & Smoke
10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I love sci fi and I came across the latest Stargate series and I really like it.

I know there are Trekkies, Star Wars, BattleStar fans here and just wondered about what you watch, read, look forward to and what are your real faves!

I do like the post apocalypse books and movies too.

What do you like?

Ramanth (Kimmy) and Fett (Andy) need to see this thread.

Example of their interests >>>
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=136098

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_7039.jpg

:cool:

ramanth
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Did someone say Firefly? :D

:love:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/costumes/kaylee.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/dragon%20con/normal__MG_3139.jpg

Huge fan of the show. I met Jewel Staite and even rode in the elevator with Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk. :cool: Of course I was so out of it from the drive and so excited to be at Dragon*Con that it didn't even click it was them until I was getting off the elevator. :eek: D'oh!!

I really loved the original Stargate movie, but for some reason never got into any of the series. Most likely because at the time, I didn't have cable tv and by the time I did, I just didn't bother to catch up.

It's no surprise that I love Star Wars. :p

I never really did get into Star Trek. The only one I did watch from start to finish is DS9, but I do enjoy catching an episode of TNG or Voyager now and then. I loved the new movie.

I really enjoyed the new Battlestar Galactica series. We were actually watching the original series just last night.

Andy had to get a Cylon costume.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/costumes/IMG_8930.jpg

Oh and Phred, Andy insisted I post a newer shot of our costumes since we've done a few upgrades since that other photo was taken. *lol*

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/costumes/Fett_Trooper.jpg

So yeah... we like Sci-Fi & Fantasy. :D

davidpizzica
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
RICHARD, I'm also a fan of the original Star trek series. I'm also a fan of reading books by Robert A. Heinlein. I brought a lot of his books with me to Concordia.

Catherinedana
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I just finished the 2001 trilogy this past weekend - read all three in a row in about 4 weeks. I had read them before but many years ago so it was like the first time all over again!

The 2001 book is actually based on the movie but there were some difference. 2010 and 2061 were soooo cooooool! I was absolutely absorbed in them the whole time i was reading. My hubby and I will be watching the movies this weekend. I own 2001 and we are renting 2010.

I found that I really liked the Riddick movies too, although I didn't want to :rolleyes: I loved the original Star Trek and the Next Generation, although I rarely watch them anymore.

My favorite all-time tv sci-fi show didn't last very long. . ."Max Headroom". I think I may have been the only person watching that. :p

Trinityagain
10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
oh my...Star Wars/Star Trek...here is one that I'm not sure if anyone else will admit to watching....Space Rangers, the female pilot on there was the best....

Does Xena count? Know most of those by heart, have them all on tape thanks to a friend who did the taping. Read the books for that too...and have an outfit based on Gabrielle's outfit in the second season, the short skirt, kind of crop top, etc....

Simon Green's Hawk and Fisher series, and anything by mercedes Lackey....

RICHARD
10-26-2009, 02:30 PM
My favorite all-time tv sci-fi show didn't last very long. . ."Max Headroom". I think I may have been the only person watching that. :p

LOL, Make that two people....

Now I watch Matt Frewer every time he does something and wish some one would resurrect that goodie!!!
Loved the original and didn't care for the 'talk show'.

2010 just played a week ago and I loved Helen Mirrren in it.

SERENITY-that movie rocked.

David,

The movie "Puppet Masters" was on and I could not stay awake for it.:mad:

DJFyrewolf36
10-27-2009, 03:11 AM
oh my...Star Wars/Star Trek...here is one that I'm not sure if anyone else will admit to watching....Space Rangers, the female pilot on there was the best....

Does Xena count? Know most of those by heart, have them all on tape thanks to a friend who did the taping. Read the books for that too...and have an outfit based on Gabrielle's outfit in the second season, the short skirt, kind of crop top, etc....

Simon Green's Hawk and Fisher series, and anything by mercedes Lackey....

Wow I thought I was the only one that remembered Space Rangers...I thought that show had potential...at least I did when I was 12 lol :o

Im a Mercades Lackey fan too :D

smokey the elder
10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh, man I'm such a fantasy geek.

TV/Movies: Star Trek, Babylon 5 (Roxx!), Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, Torchwood. Star Wars 4-6; I could not STAND how whiny the future Darth Vader was in the first 3! Any movie with Vin Diesel with his shirt off...:p;)

Books: Ginormous epic fantasies/science fiction: Dune, LOTR, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, anything by Mercedes Lackey.

I'm getting into the urban fantasies that come around; authors such as Carrie Vaughan, Kelley Armstrong and Victoria Petterson. The last has an interesting background: she was a Vegas showgirl before becoming an author.

RICHARD
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Victoria Petterson. The last has an interesting background: she was a Vegas showgirl before becoming an author.

Anything where she has her shirt off?:D:eek::confused:

What?
No Piers Anthony fans?:p

DJFyrewolf36
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
RICHARD, I'm reading Bio of a Space Tyrant right now...:D

RICHARD
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
RICHARD, I'm reading Bio of a Space Tyrant right now...:D

Hope Hubris!!!!

Great series!!!!

Did you ever read FIREFLY?

----------------

Is anyone watching SG:U?

I have a theory about Dr Rush!

---------------

Here's a little 'trivia' about the red "shoulder board" on the storm trooper uniform.

In Epi 3 Luke and Obi are at the Mos Eisley looking for a ride and the troopers are looking for them.

I was into dirt bikes at the time and noticed that one of the storm troopers was wearing half of a motocross shoulder protector! I guess they modified the set and used it as a sign of rank or squad on the costume??

Totally cool uni.

DJFyrewolf36
10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Who wrote it? I want to see if the library has it!

RICHARD
10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Who wrote it? I want to see if the library has it!

Ahem, I may have to card you before you read this.

This was a good Sci fi story that read like something else..

http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/Info_6412.asp

DJFyrewolf36
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Ahem, I may have to card you before you read this.

This was a good Sci fi story that read like something else..

http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/Info_6412.asp

Thanks for the info...I'm totally going to look for it! Im making a trip to the library tomorrow in fact. :D

RICHARD
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Firefly fans?

http://www.creationent.com/cal/serenity.htm?gclid=CI3A_J-Y4Z0CFSn6agoduWLWMg

oooh!!!!

blue
10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Im not a Trekie but I believe I have every episode of every series of Star Trek along with all the movies. I also have both Trekkies movies.

Serendipity was a KA flick and the Firefly series rocked as well, I need to add the series to my list of things to get.

I not only have all of the Star Wars films I even have the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorite sci fi series ever ever.

The Sword of Truth series of books is just plain good fantasy.

Catherinedana
10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorite sci fi series ever ever.

I can't believe that I forgot about HHGG! Fabulous!! I have the books, the british tv series, the BBC audio series, the american film version (which was cute but kinda changed the message a bit) and several other associated things. Douglas Adams was absolutely brilliant!! I recommend EVERYTHING written by him as well as any of the BBC radio shows you might be able to get a hold of. :love::):love:

smokey the elder
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I used to like Piers Anthony's Xanth series, but it got just too silly. The Cluster series was good. How could I forget HHGTTG? "Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters", anyone?

Catherinedana
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
"Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters", anyone?

I'll take mine in the bath!

Suki Wingy
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'm a huge fan! I seem to rotate my current faves. Right now it's Doctor Who and Torchwood. I'm in the process of trying to watch all the classic series episodes but that's gonna take FOREVER! I also love anything that Joss Whedon has done, plus on the fantasy scale, I have been a gigantic fan of the Harry Potter series since 1998 and I discovered LotR when the movies came out.