PDA

View Full Version : Hermes Wearing a Cone Again

Anikaca77
10-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Below are 2 links that I posted about Hermes when he had his scalp issues. The other day Hermes cut himself open again on his head. Last night when I got off work he made his mark bigger. We spent over $600 with surgerys this year on him repairing this work and now he scratched himself again.

I don't know what to do for him. I have a call into the vets but they are doing an emergency surgery right now so hopefully soon I'll hear something from them.

Below I typed the results from his biopsy that they took of his right face. All I can figure out is that he's allergic to something but we don't give him any people food and he's not allowed milk anymore so I'm not sure if it's something with the C/D food that he eats sometimes when he's in the bedroom or not.

Melissa

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=152329&page=2

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=153235

May 6, 2009:

Clincial History

5 by 10 cm hairless area on right face

Microscopic Description

Examination of he submitted tissue reveals a section of haired skin. The dermin is lightly inflitrated with imflammatory cells. Inflammatory cells aggregate about dermal blood vessals and the adnexal structures. The inflitrate consists of lymphocytes, plasma cells, and small numbers of eosinophils. The basal epidermis exhibits mild sponginosis.

Diagnosis

Mild Perivascular Periadnexal Dermatitis

Comments

The skin exhibits mild deratitis. A cause for this is not observed. The patter suggests allergic dermatitis. Mites, dermatophytes, and Malassezia are not observed. The history indicates that this area is hairless, but most of the hair follicles contain hair shaft. The cat may be traumatizing the area and breaking the hair off.

emily_the_spoiled
10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
I have had problems with cat food that contains corn. So it could very well be the food...

Good luck (and maybe Soft Paws might help)

catmandu
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
We Found Cats have relit Our Candle for Our Friend Hermes, especially My Precious La Purrfecta who ranted and snorted like a Bull when she had her collar on!!!
:eek::eek::eek:
Get well soon Please Dear Friend Hermes!!!
:love::love::love:

Anikaca77
10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I have had problems with cat food that contains corn. So it could very well be the food...

Good luck (and maybe Soft Paws might help)

I'll check into that. The only thing it's just weird because when he was a baby I fed him the Kitten Chow and then he went onto eat Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula and he was fine for years until just this year then he started this scratching of his head and we didn't move or anything so I'm not sure what it is.

We started feeding them California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice food, it's more expensive but it's supposed to be better for cats. Here is what is in the California Natural Food:

Ingredients
Click on an ingredient to learn more.

Chicken
Chicken is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Chicken is an excellent source of protein.

Chicken Meal
Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Natura uses high-quality chicken meal in many of our foods as an excellent source of protein.

Brown Rice
The whole rice kernel containing the nutrient-rich bran with only the rice hull removed.

Brown Rice is rich in numerous nutrients like B-vitamins, magnesium, and fatty acids.

Rice
Rice, unless listed as brown rice, is the de-hulled rice kernel, without the bran -- known as white rice.

Chicken Fat
Chicken fat is obtained from the tissues of chickens in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health. Because Natura uses such high-quality chicken, this is a high-quality source of fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E).

Natural Flavors
Natural flavors are flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.

In the Natura products that include "natural flavor" in the formula, the exact composition is proprietary. However, it is always made from high quality all natural ingredients, consistent with Natura's nutritional philosophy.

Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil is obtained by extracting oil from sunflower seeds.

Natura uses sunflower oil to provide the essential fatty acid, linoleic acid, which is important for good skin and coat health.

Flaxseed
Flaxseed is the whole seed of the flax plant.

Flaxseed is a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Together these fibers aid in digestion and help to maintain good stool consistency. Flaxseed is also an excellent source of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids (such as alpha-linolenic acid). These fatty acids help produce the soft, luxuriant coat on your pet for which Natura is known.

Vitamins
Vitamins are organic compounds that function as parts of enzyme systems essential for the transmission of energy and the regulation of metabolisms of the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of vitamins in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with vitamins. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive. Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Potassium Chloride
A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Potassium plays various roles in metabolism and body functions. It assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance and water balance in the blood and the body tissue. It assists in protein synthesis from amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism.

Minerals
Minerals are inorganic substances essential for a host of vital processes within the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of minerals in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with minerals. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive. The minerals Natura uses are chelated, providing three to ten times greater assimilation than common minerals. Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Taurine
DL Methionine
Methionine (dL-Methionine) is a sulfur-containing amino acid obtained by the hydrolysis of most common proteins. Methionine is a principle supplier of sulfur which is important in production of many other compounds in the body.

dl-methionine regulates the formation of ammonia and creates ammonia-free urine. dl-methionine is an essential amino acid. Natura adds this supplement to cat foods. In our dog foods, the meat supplies sufficient amounts.

Rosemary Extract
Rosemary is an evergreen shrub of Rosemarinus Officinalis.

Here is what is in the C/D food.

Ingredients

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, DL-Methionine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

I wonder if he is maybe allergic to the Corn Gluten Meal.....I should probably keep him away from that food for a while and see what happens.

Thanks!

Melissa

emily_the_spoiled
10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Given that Corn Meal Gluten is the second ingredient listed in the C/D food, it will have a relatively high content. Take a piece of both types of food and put them in water to see which on "puffs up" first. I will bet you that the C/D kibble is the first one :rolleyes:

It may take a little while to notice the different with removing the corn, but it has saved me A LOT of money in vet bills by removing it from his diet.

(BTW, Spunky turned out to be a boy not a girl :D)

Anikaca77
10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
That's what I thought he was :) I hope everything is going well there. I will have to see if this Corn thing is it.

I wished I would of thought of this before the surgerys and what not.

Thanks
Melissa :)

Given that Corn Meal Gluten is the second ingredient listed in the C/D food, it will have a relatively high content. Take a piece of both types of food and put them in water to see which on "puffs up" first. I will bet you that the C/D kibble is the first one :rolleyes:

It may take a little while to notice the different with removing the corn, but it has saved me A LOT of money in vet bills by removing it from his diet.

(BTW, Spunky turned out to be a boy not a girl :D)

emily_the_spoiled
10-23-2009, 02:04 PM
(Yes, but Shirley insisted he was a she, so that is what I told the vet when I took him in to be spayed. Boy did they get a laugh from that one :rolleyes:)

There is no way you could have known that allergies might be causing the problem until you received the biopsy results back. Now it is just a matter of finding out the allergen is and then hopefully things will be resolved.

krazyaboutkatz
10-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear that he's having more problems again.:( My Pearl is allergic to grains and if she eats them then her lips and chin will break out. She has Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex which can be caused by different things but in her case it was her diet. I've been feeding everyone Innova Evo for several years now and all of my cats are doing well on it. Hermes may even be allergic to the brown rice in his food. I hope you'll be able to find out what's causing this. Good luck.:)

cassiesmom
10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
A prayer for Hermes, for healing and relief from the itching ... would the vet allow you to put a little hydrocortisone cream on the area, so it won't itch?

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9436164

columbine
10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Smudge is another who can't have grain - that was ONE source of his itching - plus he gets an antihistamine in his food, and now a steroid dabbed in his ear! Some cats are just really allergic. (I joke with the vet that he's allergic to humans!) But for what it's worth, between the gourmet food, the chlorpheniramine, and the transdermal prednisolone, he's now so comfortable that - at age 13 3/4 - he can finally enjoy having his chin rubbed because it doesn't disturb a painful minefield of scabs.

Love, Columbine

Medusa
10-26-2009, 06:47 AM
When I switched from Purina Cat Chow to Purina Cat Chow INDOOR Formula, that's when my Creamsicle's allergies started. I seem to recall someone telling me that the Indoor formula has more coloring in it and that could be what she is allergic to. It may be the same w/Hermes. Problem is that I was also told that it could take up to 12 weeks before all the allergens are completely out of her system, so you may have to wait a while before you see any result. Good luck w/this. I know how frustrating it can be.

Anikaca77
10-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Thank you so much! :)

A prayer for Hermes, for healing and relief from the itching ... would the vet allow you to put a little hydrocortisone cream on the area, so it won't itch?

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9436164

Anikaca77
10-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Columbine-

That's interesting about the grains too. The vet said we can do an allegery test on him to find out exactly what he's allergic to. I'm going to call the vet this morning to get the prices, the vet told us there are 2 type of tests one tests only does certain things and the other one does certain things so we image will run both tests.

For now though we switched him on the California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice food and we'll see what happens.

Thanks,
Melissa

Mary-

I will keep that in mind about the problem taking 12 weeks to clear up. I noticed that coloring in the Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula, but now we are feeding our guys the California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice and everyone seems to agree with it and hopefully Hermes isn't allergic to anything inside of that food. Thanks :)

Melissa

We took off Hermes cone on Friday evening and he's left his head alone since so hopefully he won't scratch it open again.