PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Soupy!

RICHARD
10-23-2009, 01:19 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33442972/?gt1=43001

R.I.P buddy!

Soupy Sales was a great dude. Funny, because he was totally "oblivious" to many of his own jokes....

At the end of one show he was ad-libbing and was looking for a laugh and was killing time....

Sales, who was typically clad in a black sweater and oversized bow-tie, was once suspended for a week after telling his legion of tiny listeners to empty their mothers' purse and mail him all the pieces of green paper bearing pictures of the presidents.

This is funny because I was going to suggest that all the pets should pull out the green papers from their parents wallets- the one's with president's pitures on them - and send them to Karen and Paul for the PT fund raiser.:eek::confused:;)

I am sorry I didn't post that.......:(

Medusa
10-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow, I thought he died years ago. I loved his show! RIP, sir.

aTailOf2Kitties
10-23-2009, 07:11 AM
yeah I thought he had already passed as well. I remember watching him back in the 80's. I loved White Fang and Black Tooth!

Pinot's Mom
10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I LOVED Soupy Sales! RIP to a great comedian.

smokey the elder
10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Didn't he used to be on the originalWhat's My Line? He was funny.

Freedom
10-23-2009, 08:58 PM
I only know him from What's My Line! He was great, RIP.

K9karen
10-23-2009, 10:27 PM
:(:( Oh, Man! I am getting old. I never missed a Soupy Sales show on Saturday mornings! The pies, the talking at the open door. He's an icon. He broke the mold. Just be careful who gets one of your pies in the great beyond, Soups. I know you'll keep them all laughing. Thanks for the great memories, Mr. S.

phesina
10-24-2009, 08:11 AM
When I was a child growing up in Dearborn, Michigan, we rushed home from school each mid-day to have "Lunch with Soupy Sales." LOL-funny?.. He had us in hysterics.

He also had a night show after the 11pm news, which I hardly ever saw because it was on way past my bedtime. My father never missed it, so on the very rare occasions when I was awake at that time I got to see it too. Same sense of humor and general comedy line, just more ...adult (? but before the onset of off-color jokes on TV) story lines such as current events and famous personalities. And of course pies in faces. This was long before the advent of network late-night comedy shows, so it was one of a kind.

At some point he also had a Saturday morning kids' show. I remember one show which featured a Trip To The Zoo. There may have been an audience of children for the show, too. He walked around visiting the different animals and talking about them. At one point he was in front of the lions' habitat. As he talked about the lions, all of a sudden a lion mounted a lioness and started to do his thing.. and a child asked "What are the lions doing?" Soupy quick replied "They're ..playing!" as the camera swung away from the scene.

Rest in peace, Soupy. You have a lot to answer for in my developing from a very early age the particular sense of humor that I have.. and I thank you!