PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting a 4 month old is EXHAUSTING!!!!

moosmom
10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
My best friend has a 4 month old son whom I adore!!! She is a reporter for Associated Press and had to cover the Petit home invasion murder trial down in New Haven, and wasn't sure when she'd get back. She didn't think she'd be back in time to pick Brady up from day care and asked me if I'd stay with him. I said OF COURSE!!! Me and Brady have this bond that is remarkable. Stephanie said she's never seen it with any of her other friends.

I gotta tell ya, by the time I got home last night (I gave him a bath and bottle when she came home) I was POOPED!!!! It took all of 10 seconds for me to fall sound asleep.

I'd do it again in a heart beat for her because she's one of my best friends. But would I have another baby???? I'd rather have a root canal through my rectum!!!

So girls, anyone on PT who has babies, my hat is off to you. If I were younger I'm sure I'd have no problem. But now? Oh hell no!!!

Sirrahsim
10-22-2009, 08:58 AM
:D:D Yep this is why we have kids when we are young.
ETA: I am only 25 and am still exhausted at the end of most days... Then again I am raising two by myself at the moment since my hubby is away.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I sometimes think it's harder when you're the babysitter. The parent gets into the routine and "grows" with the baby. The babysitter gets shoved into something they're not used to and that's HARD!

Before I had Nathan I babysat my friend's baby for a couple months because my friend had heart surgery. I had to follow their "rules" and their routine and it didn't always feel natural to me. I was completely worn out by the end of the day. When I had Nathan I was still worn out, but the days seemed more smooth and natural to me because I was following the schedule my baby and I set.

Anyway, even though it was tiring, I hope you had a great day hanging out and taking care of the baby. :)

finn's mom
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Well, she's lucky to have a friend who will watch her little one for her! Even if you were tired afterwards, I like that you'd do it again! :)

I haven't really been tired, yet, but I think Kari is right, it's different when it's your own baby and you have a routine that you're comfortable with. Well, I typically just go with her natural schedule, and it does vary sometimes. Because I am not working, though, I can sleep whenever she sleeps. Not that I do during the day, but I could if I needed to!

I don't think I could have had a baby any sooner than now, though! I'm not OLD, but I am older than many women when they have their first. But, at 33, I'm definitely more fit for it than I would have been even five years ago!

moosmom
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I had Amy when I was 23. I was far too young (at the time). I always said if I had to do it again, I'd have waited till I was 30 to get married and 35 to have my first child. Hind sight has 20/20 vision.

Brady and my soon to be step grandson Cody, will be the closest thing I'll have to having grandchildren. My daughter, because she went through chemotherapy and radiation at an early age (16), the chances of her being able to get pregnant aren't very good. But who knows??? Maybe she'll make a liar outta me. In the meantime, I'm happy spoiling other people's kids. I can always give them back!!! I learned THAT one from my own mother. Too bad she never got to meet her absolutely wonderful, beautiful granddaughter. She'd be so very proud.

Oh and, Brady and I are going to be in a Halloween parade at his day care center, after which we'll go back to his house and "hang" till his Mom get home.

happylabs
10-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh my, yes, I could not do it at my age now either. When my kids were little, they were 2-1/2 years apart in age, I would literally crash on the couch after I got them to bed at night. My husband, ex now, could not understand why I was always so tired. Looking back now I would have made him help me more.

It is great your friend has you to help out.