PDA

View Full Version : Keva just got attacked (she's okay)

wolf_Q
10-21-2009, 10:22 PM
So the neighbors behind us have had this boxer for at least a year, nice dog though she drives me nuts because she won't stop trying to get through the fence to my dogs. Yes my dogs are part of the problem because they try to dig under too but when I tell my dogs to stop, they do, and that dog just keeps going crazy (seriously, it goes nuts) trying to get over here. We've had a couple of times where their dog has managed to get into our yard and once Keva and Skya ended up in their yard. Luckily both of us have fenced yards and the dogs get along fine, every time this has happened all of the dogs have been running around playing. We've had several different dogs live in that yard and there was never a problem with this until that dog.

We hadn't had a problem in a couple of months though, I figured the dogs had finally got used to each other or something. Well they just adopted a new dog, a german shorthair. Tonight I ran outside because I heard dogs fighting. I saw Nebo and Skya so I figured it was the neighbors dogs but I ran down there to get them in the house to not make it worse...then I noticed a board from the fence had been pushed out from the other side. I lifted up the board and there was Keva wanting back in on our side. Yeah, Keva was in their yard getting into it with their dog. Talked to the neighbor, I'm pretty sure that Keva didn't start it, they said the new dog is dog aggressive and has already attacked their boxer a few times. The fence was clearly pushed in from their side but I'm sure Keva played a part in it too.

I checked her over and thought she was fine at first but then I found some blood. I found one puncture and thought that was it but I keep finding more, I've found three so far, all on her front legs. Her neck was all slobbered up so I'm hoping there's no hidden punctures in there, its hard to tell with all that fur but I couldn't find any.

The neighbor said that the german shorthair had Keva pinned down and she had to kick the dog to get it off her. Awesome, now I have a dog aggressive dog trying to get into my yard to eat my dogs. I'm leaving early tomorrow to go to Las Vegas for a couple of concerts, ugh so now I have to worry my dogs are going to get attacked while I'm gone. My parents are watching them, I know they will do whatever they can to prevent it from happening again but I'm still worried.

Not too long ago I heard Skya scream and found a deep bite/scratch on her nose I blamed it on Nebo though I didn't see anything happen but now I'm wondering if she stuck her nose under the fence and that dog tried to attack her too. :rolleyes:

I cleaned the wounds with warm water and gave her an antibiotic I had on hand from another vet visit. My parents said they'd take her to the vet if it looked like it was getting infected. I've dealt with puncture wounds before and they have always healed up fine with just keeping them clean so I hope that is the case this time too.

cassiesmom
10-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh dear, Keva! That sounds scary - I am glad you're all right! Prayers for you, Nebo and Skya while your mom is away.

MonicanHonda
10-21-2009, 11:06 PM
OH man, that really sucks, especially because they're right behind you. I hope this doesn't start any neighborly disputes. :-/

Is there any way you can reinforce the fence, maybe chicken wire will help with the pushing in of boards? Keep the wounds clean! We don't want Keva infected!

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm sorry your having this problem Amy. I hope Keva's ok. Maybe there's some way you and the neighbors can fool proof the fence?

wolf_Q
10-22-2009, 05:52 AM
I found out the neighbors had put up a wire fence inside their yard so the dogs couldn't reach our fence....that is why we hadn't had problems in a long time (my dogs could still reach the fence...but they don't try to go under unless their dogs are trying to get through). But they recently decided to take it down thinking that the new dog would distract the boxer from trying to get over here. :rolleyes: Yeah clearly that worked, they said they are going to put it back up, I sure hope so. I would have put up chicken wire a long time ago but its my parents fence and they don't want that, ugh. Once I get my own house I will create a super fence haha that can't be broken or dug under. I need it for peace of mind.

Freedom
10-22-2009, 08:00 AM
I am glad that Keva seems basically alright.

That poor German short hair, being kick by its owners? I mean, I understand it was at the point that they HAD to do that, from the sounds of it. But this is not going to help in their relationship with their dog.

I hope they can find some trianing program for the dog, and are willing to put in the time to work with it.

Sad for the boxer as well, to live with a dog which attacks it.

I suppose you don't always know until you get the dog home. But once you DO know, you need to address the issue!

Daisy and Delilah
10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
That is a terrible situation, Amy. How can you ever feel comfortable anymore? I am so sorry.

I agree with Sandie, if they kicked their dog, the dog may become more and more aggressive. Best of luck with this whole thing.:( Please give Keva some kisses form me.

Taz_Zoee
10-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Wow, that is so scary! I hope the neighbors are responsible people and take the appropriate actions to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Please give Keva a kiss on her nose from me. :)

luvofallhorses
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry, Amy. :( How frustruating! I am glad Keva is okay though. :)

cyber-sibes
10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Poor Keva, Jack sends sibe vibes that those puncture wounds heal ok, & there isn't any other damage. Sounds like a tought situation. You don't want to get into a bad relationship with your neighbors, but you can't afford to have the dogs getting into it either. I feel bad for their boxer too. I hope they contact someone for help. I'm really surprised they adopted a dog-aggressive dog. Didn't they take the boxer to meet the other dog before adopting it? It would have been pretty obvious that there were issues.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
So sorry to hear that poor Keva girl got in a little squabble.....:(
How is she doing?