PDA

View Full Version : Emla (for baby's shots)

finn's mom
10-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or used this stuff? I haven't done a lot of research, and I'll for sure check with my pediatrician before even bothering with it. But, I met a girl this weekend that said she used it for her babies when they were due to get shots and it worked great! Her little ones didn't cry much and didn't fear going to the doctor, either. Just curious about it since Clara is scheduled for her first set of shots on Friday!

Cataholic
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't know what emla is....but, for J, I gave him some tylenol 30 minutes before....

finn's mom
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know what emla is....but, for J, I gave him some tylenol 30 minutes before....

I'll keep that in mind! From what I understood, the Emla goes directly on the spot where they'll insert the needle and baby won't feel any pain! I'll let you guys know if the doctor OKs it and if we decide to use it! :)

pomtzu
10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
It's a topical anesthetic that numbs the skin and decreases the sensation of pain, but doesn't eliminate it. I'd definitely check with your doctor before using it. It would need to be applied before she receives the injection too. Of course, you would also have to know the exact injection site.

Cataholic
10-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll keep that in mind! From what I understood, the Emla goes directly on the spot where they'll insert the needle and baby won't feel any pain! I'll let you guys know if the doctor OKs it and if we decide to use it! :)

I think the injection itself is minor compared to the site pain a few hours later and the often accompanying feelings of malaise. That is why I went with the tylenol 30 minutes before.

I would bet a nickel most practioners don't advocate either the emla OR the tylenol. LOL. My advice is pure mommy advice, not a shred of medical mixed in.

Husky_mom
10-19-2009, 06:47 PM

same here... my kid never complained.. just this one time but he was bigger and it was a 2 second complain... Tylenol, a good bath and sleep works wonders.. we do suffer more than them ;)

finn's mom
10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
same here... my kid never complained.. just this one time but he was bigger and it was a 2 second complain... Tylenol, a good bath and sleep works wonders.. we do suffer more than them ;)

I just have a feeling Clara will complain. She's screamed both times we've gone to see the doctor so far...the first time there was nothing but an exam with her clothes off, checking her joints and weighing her. Second time was the same thing and a heel prick. But, yeah...I can't imagine her NOT complaining! ;)

sparks19
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
yeah Hannah cried bloody murder when she got her first shots.

but even the doctor recommended tylenol before the visits when she gets shots. said that even if it doesn't help with the discomfort of the actual shot it will help with the side effects they feel afterwards.

Never actually heard of emla

Pembroke_Corgi
10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
I haven't heard of Emla, but Lyra's doctor also says 0.8 ml of Tylenol is ok after her shots, up to 24 hours to help with pain and slight fever that may result from the shots.

At her 2 month shots, Lyra screamed, of course, then slept the whole day. Her 4 and 6 months shots were worse at first- she was just shocked and screamed and screamed, but then she was fine afterward. It's so hard to see them so upset. :(

prechrswife
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
The tylenol is definitely a good idea. Our doctor's office tells us to do that beforehand.

Nomilynn
10-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I've used Emla on myself.. I've put it on the back of my hand before a surgery when I knew that I would have an IV. I don't think it would make a difference for a shot though, especially one that is intra-muscular.. it's not really the shot that hurts really bad as much as it is the serum going into the muscle that hurts... I'm not sure that Emla would help??