PDA

View Full Version : Baby survives when train hits stroller

Catty1
10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I looked closely at the pic and saw the mom - the total blur heading towards the stroller.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/weird/2009/10/16/11424606.html

Baby survives when train hits stroller

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: 16th October 2009, 9:49am

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.calgarysun.com/news/weird/2009/10/16/stroller640.jpg&size=248x186
Security video footage released Friday Oct. 16, 2009 shows a baby stroller suddenly rolling off the edge of a station platform and onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train in Ashburton, Australia. (AP Photo/Connex)

MELBOURNE, Australia — Police in Australia say a six-month-old baby has miraculously survived a train hitting his stroller that had rolled onto the tracks.

The train pushed the stroller about 130 feet (40 metres) along the tracks before it stopped.

Security video footage released Friday shows the mother looking away for a moment when the stroller suddenly rolls off the edge of a station platform and onto the tracks. The mother panics as she looks back and sees the oncoming train hit the stroller, but the baby boy survived with only minor injuries.

Victoria state Police Sergeant Michael Ferwerda called Thursday’s incident a “lucky escape” and said people should be cautious in train stations.

Cataholic
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I nearly lost my stomach when I saw that air on television recently. Thank GOD that outcome was as it were.

lvpets2002
10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
:eek: OMG I would be in such a Panic.. So glad the baby is ok..

finn's mom
10-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't even want to think about what that experience would be like. :( That poor mother!

Taz_Zoee
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I watched this on the news and cried!!!!
I was actually surprised at the reaction of the mother. I would have been freaking out!! Even if it wasn't my own child.
I couldn't believe the child sustained only minor injuries. As my boyfriend said - he definitely had an angel with him.

Catty1
10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the mom was just in a state of disbelief and shock...she had no time to get upset, just react!

Thank goodness that baby is ok. I bet the mom has been crying and loving on that baby ever since.:love:

ETA: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gQqWsC-monufjYxBsyzMdVU7RdXg

Mum stressed by video of baby surviving train crash

(AFP) – 1 day ago

MELBOURNE — The mother of an Australian baby which miraculously survived a collision with a train is still recovering from the experience and becomes upset by footage of the accident, a report said Sunday.

The six-month-old boy, who has not been named, was strapped into a pram which rolled away from his mother and into the path of an oncoming train at Melbourne's Ashburton station on Thursday.

The train driver slammed on the brakes but was unable to avoid hitting the stroller which was pushed about 35 metres (yards) along the tracks before coming to a stop. The baby escaped with only a bump to the head.

The incident was captured by a surveillance camera and the video has been shown around the world, sparking the interest of US talkshow queen Oprah Winfrey whose producers have contacted Victoria Police to interview the mum.

The baby's father said his wife had seen the footage, which shows her slipping as she attempts to grab the pram as it rolls away and then almost getting hit by the train herself in a bid to save the baby.

"My wife has seen the footage, but every time she sees it she gets very upset," the 20-something man, who asked not to be identified, told Melbourne's Sunday Herald Sun.

"My wife is very stressed. We are all OK -- my wife and my baby are OK -- but we really just need some time to get over this."

Parademics said the fact that the baby was properly strapped into the pram at the time of the accident probably saved his life.

Taz_Zoee
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't blame her for getting upset seeing this video. I get upset seeing it and I know the baby is okay.

Cataholic
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I would imagine she was in a state of disbelief at the time and is now comprehending the situation slowly. Horrid.

Taz_Zoee
10-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes, when I watched it again on here I did notice she was shocked and panicked. I think they cut it off when it was shown on the news I saw originally. It had looked like she just turned around and walked back toward the building. But I see that's not the case.

I can't even imagine!

Husky_mom
10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I almost died when I saw it in the news.. thankfully the baby is ok..

my heart literally stopped for a few secs until the whole story was told and they said baby was alive..

ramanth
10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Woah. :eek: So glad that baby is okay!

Daisy and Delilah
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Talk about scary!!! Holy Cow!!! That footage made me physically sick. The only thing I could think of was it happening to one of my kids. Very very very disturbing. :(

AdoreMyDogs
10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
That's one of the most disturbing videos I've ever seen. That child really does have a guardian angel.