PDA

View Full Version : Excessive drooling

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Zoee drools buckets when she is nervous. And that's usually only when she is in the car. Lately she has been drooling a lot just being here at home. The other day I noticed the step outside was very wet from her. Anywhere she lays in the house has a wet spot now. I don't understand why she is drooling so much. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Moesha
10-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Can you check her gums to look for any sore spots? Does the drool have a bad smell to it?

Ramble On Rose
10-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I think that when one of my boxers is drooling, that means he is in some pain. I assume it's his back legs that are stiff with artheritis. I then give him some dog aspirin with some treasts.

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the responses! :)

I don't think it's pain in her body or mouth since she runs around full speed without any problems and she eats without issues. I'm beginning to think it might be that she needs a dental. Her teeth are horrible. So as soon as I save up some money I will take her in for a dental. I've been putting it off because I didn't want her to be put under, but it's getting to the point that it is necessary.

Any other ideas are welcome though. And I will still keep in mind the mouth and body pain as well. And watch out for any signs. :D

chocolatepuppy
10-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Is there a new or stray dog around? Layla's a drooler and that would do it for her.

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Is there a new or stray dog around? Layla's a drooler and that would do it for her.

That's interesting. I don't believe there's a new dog around here. But there are THREE new dogs at my parents/brothers houses. The poodle my mom found and the two new puppies my brother got. Do you think it would affect her when she's not even there? I am noticing its not constant, its only occasional.

Riptide
10-18-2009, 05:27 PM
I have noticed that Pixie drools when she is stressed or freaked out. Since last weekend when puppy came home, I have noticed an increase in her drooling behavior. So yeah I definitely think it's linked to stress.

chocolatepuppy
10-18-2009, 06:03 PM
That's interesting. I don't believe there's a new dog around here. But there are THREE new dogs at my parents/brothers houses. The poodle my mom found and the two new puppies my brother got. Do you think it would affect her when she's not even there? I am noticing its not constant, its only occasional.

Not sure. Layla drooled so much in the vets office the other day, the vet assistant thought she peed! :D After she cleaned up, Layla flooded the floor again before we left.:rolleyes: When she went to school at Petsmart, they had to mop when we left.:o It got better the more she went.
One time a girl from PT came to my house with her dog and spent the day. Layla drooled while they were here and the next day she searched the yard, drooling all the way.
I'm wondering, maybe even another type of animal has been coming in your yard? I'd watch for clues, but not rule out a medical problem, just in case.

kokopup
10-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Most of the time when Koko drools it's because of stress or an upset stomach. When we are around certain other dogs she will drool but it is usually frothy then. When we ride in the car she drools sometimes I believe because riding makes her stomach upset. I have noticed that during these car drool times she will not eat or drink anything, therefore I believe it's her stomach.

Taz_Zoee
10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah, you guys are probably right that she's stressed. But I don't know why. :confused:
I could believe she is getting tired of Taggart constantly bugging her, but she still plays with him. Maybe I need to spend one on one time with her more often. I think she really enjoyed it a couple weeks ago when my brother and SIL took Taggart home with them and it was just her and I again....like old times.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I will keep you updated and let you know if anything new occurs. :D

K9karen
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Logan drools like she has rabies at the dog park. Geesh, thanks, all..I thought it was the different scents etc., but now I realize it must be nerves, 'cause she doesn't do it anywhere else. I hope Zoee is OK.