PDA

View Full Version : A little venting

davidpizzica
10-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Concordia is a great facility to live in, but their policy concerning pets isn't too good. If someone wants to bring a pet to visit here, they have to call ahead of time and make sure the pets shots are up to date. The pet can't be agressive or be dirty. Also, after the visit if a resident (or an employee) happens to pet (the dog or cat) They have to wash their hands! I'm wondering, is this standard or is it a little over the top?

lvpets2002
10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
:) Well since this is considered a Health Caring Place then I would say this is normal.. They are just making sure that your safty is of their concerns.. Also they dont want that term brought up of Law Suite from anyone..

kokopup
10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I would say it is reasonable. I'm sure there is a reason behind their policy. Most
policy comes about because of a problem in the past.

pomtzu
10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. When I fractured my hip a couple of years ago, and was in the physical rehab section of the hospital, pets could be brought in to visit their patient parents. They weren't allowed in patient rooms unless it happened to be a therapy dog, and there was a special visitation room for them. It also had to be approved by the nursing staff before they were brought in.

moosmom
10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry honey, but I agree with everyone here. They're only looking out for the safety of the residents. Besides, with all the flu viruses and crap going around, you just can't be too careful.

davidpizzica
10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
After reading your posts, now I could see why it would be a matter of health instead of me thinking that they would be strict. Concordia is watching out for the residents.

Asiel
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
That's the way it works here also, after all the staff has to be careful with their patients. I've witnessed some poorly behaved therapy dogs that were asked to leave and I fully agreed with it. Any dog visiting a care facility, hospital or nursing home, etc should be well groomed and very tractable.

Medusa
10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
If someone wanted to bring a pet into my home, they'd have to call ahead and then I'd tell them 'no' anyhow because the Fur Posse would not like it one bit. And I wouldn't want an aggressive or dirty animal in my home either. As for washing hands afterwards, I wash mine so often it's a wonder I have any skin left on them. So I think Concordia's policy is normal and looking out for the residents. :)

Twisterdog
10-16-2009, 08:52 PM
If someone wanted to bring a pet into my home, they'd have to call ahead and then I'd tell them 'no' anyhow because the Fur Posse would not like it one bit. And I wouldn't want an aggressive or dirty animal in my home either. As for washing hands afterwards, I wash mine so often it's a wonder I have any skin left on them. So I think Concordia's policy is normal and looking out for the residents. :)

Ditto.

K9karen
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
I used to bring Logan with me to visit my mom, with no notice. Surprisingly, with no formal training, she was awesome and everyone loved her. I took her in the evening The therapy dogs came during the day This was quite a while ago, so I'm sure policies changed. Nobody said a word to me. But I can certainly see the reasoning.

Freedom
10-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Most of it I understand.

I am surprised people have to phone ahead to bring in a pet for a visit.

I routinely take my pets to hospitals, nursing homes, adult day programs == wherever my Dad happens to be. I don't call first, just walk in with which ever cat or dog I have.

The rest of it - pets up to date on shots, not aggressive or dirty, washing hands after petting, - all normal for a health care place.