PDA

View Full Version : Torre argentina: Rome cat sanctuary

CultureJunky
10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Kevin and I recently returned from our belated honeymoon trip to Rome. Well, what a stunning place, and whilst there I discovered Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary. I had come across this when looking up Rome cats online. It was somewhere I really wanted to visit and we did so, I loved it so much I went twice. If I'm really honest, I would've gone every day! I hope in the future I can go back to Rome and spend everyday there, that is a dream I now have.

Torre Argentina, is home to around 250 cats who shelter in ancient ruins, the ones who live outside are usually feral, and the ones that spend time inside, are more friendly. This shelter does such fantastic work, helping to neuter and spay cats from other colonies, they do trap/neuter/release programs and other cats who are found with disabilities such as blind, deaf, limb amputees, FIV and elderly etc stay in the sanctuary.
They have many international supporters, more so than Roman. They survive by fundraising, donations from passing tourists, and a sponsorship scheme called Adoption from a distance, where you pay a monthly fee for the cat of your choice.
They have international adoptions too, all over Europe, and even America and Australia.
Kevin and I were interested in quite a few (particularly 3 blind girl kittens and an all black boy with 3 legs) and enquired about adopting and taking one home to Wales in the UK, but unfortunately because of the UK's strict quarantine laws it's too difficult and can cost a lot of money for the paperwork alone. So alas, I had to plump for an adoption at a distance.
There was a cat there named Scarface that we met in the nursery area, he's an adult cat, and has a facial deformity. He eats fine, and is normal in every way, but the fact that he has this makes him a bit more difficult to adopt. So I chose him to send 15 Euros a month via Paypal. He is lovely, and I so hope that somebody from Europe will adopt him one day.
I really cannot tell you how important or wonderful this place really is. The love and care the cats receive is amazing and they do the best they can with whatever they have. The number of old, disabled,one eyed, blind, deaf, formerly abused and disfigured cats they had was heartbreaking, but uplifting because they are so well loved and looked after. One in particular who is a firm favourite with them and all visitors was a cat named Ramingo that has neurological problems. There is an article about him on their website :) They have a home forever if there isn't anybody that is interested in adopting them.

You can visit their website at www.romancats.com. If you ever visit Rome PLEASE visit this sanctuary, as I know I don't even have to say if you're from Pet Talk, it will a heavenly place for you!

Here is Scarface. I filled in my details and received two photos of him which have taken pride of place on my fridge. If he does get adopted there are others that I had my eye on for adoption at a distance! Obama, a sweet black boy that had a lot of scars, and a cat named Bloody Mary!

Kevin took a lot of pictures I will post in a seperate thread later so for now...

My adoption from a distance :love:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/Scarface.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Razorbladebeat/ScarfaceTwo.jpg

kb2yjx
10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
I am so glad that you posted about Torre Argentina!!! I an very envious, for I have wanted to go to Rome and visit TA!!! There is a group Friends of Roman Cats and they have a nice website! I have been trying to get to the TA site, but it has been down for a long time. Glad you had a great time, and thanks for the photos. KUDOS for sponsoring the cats!
Mil grazi from all the cats!!!

lvpets2002
10-15-2009, 12:49 PM
:love: Oh my He is so Sweet & Adorable.. I would have scooped him up in a minute.. I hope you get to go back & get this baby & the others..

Pinot's Mom
10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh, I was in Rome not too long ago - I wish I had known!! I'm so glad you posted! I'm going to look into adoption from a distance. :love:

smokey the elder
10-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Scarface looks like he has a cleft lip. I'm glad he can eat OK. That other cat sounds like a CH kitty. I'm glad that there is a place like that for the cats in Rome.

Killearn Kitties
10-15-2009, 02:26 PM
It's a wonderful place, isn't it? Torre Argentina, I mean, although Rome is good too. ;) What a great choice for a honeymoon.

Scarface is a cutie. :love: It was so kind of you to adopt him.

catmandu
10-15-2009, 04:29 PM
:)I am sure that I have seen an article in Cat Fancy on the Feral Cats of Rome, and there are several organizations who TNR Cats in the coleiseums, and its so touching to see the kind people of Rome with pails of food for these Hungry Ones.
Its feeling to see them running where they know where they will food and love!!
:)

phesina
10-15-2009, 05:35 PM
What a wonderful place! And so many good people! It always lifts my spirits to learn about another such place and more such people. God bless them all and the kitties they care for.