PDA

View Full Version : Looked at myself in the mirror..

CountryWolf07
10-09-2009, 11:36 PM
And I definitely need to start working out! I seriously have seen a change in my weight & my body. I need to work on losing my belly fat, because that did not exist a year ago. I need to work on my legs, lose some fat and do mostly toning. I am disappointed in myself. I didn't think this would catch up to me, ha, I guess it's what happens when you get older, your metabolism gets slower. Boo to that. :rolleyes: One problem though, I can't seem to MOTIVATE myself to work out on a daily basis. Any tips? I am wanting to encourage myself to go on the treadmill, do situps and pushups.

K9karen
10-10-2009, 12:08 AM
I, unfortunately, had to put a stop on my yearly LA Fitness membership, due to recent back problems again, but I used to go 5 days a week. Twice a week, pool gymnastics, then a workout (2 hours), rest of week, a 2 hour workout. I LOVED it. I never overdid it or cared about any competition. I started out slowly and gradually increased the weight. I LOVE the crazy, wild music they play there, so it was fun. I met lots of great people. Nobody stared at anyone, regardless of size. The staff is helpful, and once a month you get a free assessment. Sometimes I meet my 2 girlfriends there, and John also joined, so sometimes we work out together. I have a problem with my bad wrist adjusting stuff so I wear 2 braces, but people help me without my asking. You have to make it fun. I thought I'd hate it, but I didn't. I can't wait to go back.

I also watch my food intake. I'm not skinny, but since I'm older, I decided to stop eating when I feel full. I drink lots of water. I eat only when I'm hungry and force myself to eat smaller amounts- instead of the entire candy bar and 1/2 gallon, which I can do (as well as eat a whole pizza by myself). It's hard. I try to ignore "white food", bread, pasta, rice and go for whole grain if I can. What a struggle..ick. I LOVE food and LOVE to cook.

Good luck. You can do it, if I can!

Medusa
10-10-2009, 05:37 AM
I'm good at motivating others but not so much at motivating myself. I need a group to work out with, so I did kickboxing for a few years. Best workout ever and lots of fun. Our instructor was in our faces all the time and that made it even better. I have my own bag now but, as I said, I need the group. Why not give it a whirl?

Medusa
10-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Just thought of something else. (It was still a little too early when I posted this morning. ;) ) Belly dance. I took a beginner's class a couple of years ago and it was so much fun and, more importantly, it was a killer workout on the core muscles and that's the area that you said you want to focus on. I highly recommend it. :)

Pinot's Mom
10-10-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm right there with you, if that helps! My husband and I just started (this past week) trying to curb some things and get more exercise. We have wonderful places to walk here, as well as a treadmill in the house (and a really good exercise bike) that were being ignored. We just said - enough -and have been eating better, drinking less, and getting more exercise. We can all do it together!!:)

Taz_Zoee
10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, it sucks getting older. I've always been on the thinner side and people always told me "when you hit 30 your metabolism slows down". Well, they weren't kidding. The exact year I turned 30 is when it changed. Although, my lifestyle also changed around that same time. I got a boyfriend, changed careers and moved.
You are still 5 years away from 30 so don't let it sneak up on you. I know I can lose the weight, it's just a matter of getting off my lazy a$$ and doing it. But recent events have changed the way I'm thinking so hopefully I'll be boarding the right train here soon. :)

Good luck to you, as I'm sure you can get back in shape without any problems. Find a physical activity you like and stick with it.

Marigold2
10-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I totally understand, I looked at myself naked sitting down once and then went on to lose 30 pounds. Nothing is more upsetting then seeing yourself naked and sitting down. Everything falls forward. When you are standing it's not so bad, but sitting and looking at your middle, the sides, it's enough to make a lot of women cry and THEN take action. Sometimes seeing yourself at your worst makes you strive to be your best.
Good luck.

Marigold2
10-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I will join your group, I will bring the cookies. LOL:eek:
I'm good at motivating others but not so much at motivating myself. I need a group to work out with, so I did kickboxing for a few years. Best workout ever and lots of fun. Our instructor was in our faces all the time and that made it even better. I have my own bag now but, as I said, I need the group. Why not give it a whirl?

slick
10-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I have struggled for months to try and get into shape and it is so very hard to get inspiration. I must say now that I am inspired because clothes that I purchased a year ago no long fit me.....they are too big, so off to the Salvation Army they go. That makes me feel good and inspires me to get my fat butt off the couch and on to the treadmill. I was down 25 lbs but now I've gained back 5 of it. :( What frustrates me the most is how I can weight 195 in the morning, eat healthy all day, and weight in at 199 at night. :mad: 4 friggin pounds in one day.... (yes, I'm not too embarrassed to post my weight here). Seeing it down in black and white is inspiration in itself considering the fact that my highest weight was 235.:o:o

Keep it up girl!!! When you get to be my age, you have to work 3 times as hard to get the same weight off.

kitten645
10-10-2009, 11:19 PM
The DAY I hit forty my body went to heck in a handbasket! I've been on the Flat Belly Diet and I really think it helps. I really HATE to sweat so I am going to try more toning routines. I'm lucky I took ballet for alot of my younger years so I'm pretty flexible. The old fogey gym near me has been sold to Crunch and they have alot more creative classes. I'd really like to try pole dancing/work. It looks like fun and I understand it's quite a workout with toning. Good luck!

K9karen
10-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Slick, it's natural to put on weight at the end of the day from water retention and fatigue for example. Yikes! If I weighed myself at night, I'd shoot myself. I heard..1st thing in the morn when you arise, in your birthday suit. That's what I do once a week and it's the poundage I go by.

Oh, BTW... try hoola hooping! I found one in my aunt's basement. Oh, the pain for a day but so fun!

CountryWolf07
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
So I only ran .50 miles on Wed. night, then a powerwalk for 15 minutes, then 5 minutes run last night on the treadmill which led up to a mile. Not bad, really. Just taking it slow! I am definitely out of shape, so just need to do a mile or two every night. I do find that if I run at night, I sleep SO much better rather than always getting up every couple hours.. :) I just need to motiviate myself, and I know yesterday sure did. I went to Target to buy some bras, and well, yep, I went up one cup bigger and I got sad and I did NOT like what I saw in the mirror. I have a lot to work out to get the chubbiness gone!

Cataholic
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
For me- it is easiest to break it down into its most simple form. 1 pound = 3500 calories. One must either exercise to burn, or reduce one's caloric intake to represent, a 3500 'loss' in calories.

For me- it is easiest to do this by both exercise AND diet.

Genny
10-15-2009, 05:25 PM
i've always been little and skinny I'm 105..but I wanted to tighten up my abs and so I joined the gym here and it's lots more fun than I thought it would be. You should join one and take some classes or something. It's good for you and plus others do it too so that makes it easier to work out when someone is doing it w/ you! Good Luck girl! ;)