PDA

View Full Version : Hip dysplasia in young cats

BaBaWaWa
10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Has anyone had any experience dealing with a cat with hip dysplasia? My mom's cat that is 2 yrs old has not one, but both hips affected. We have had 2 visits to 2 different vets & both concur that an operation is the only solution. My question is to you all.....have any of U had this procedure done on your cat & if so, what were the results? This will be a fairly expensive procedure(money is NOT the question) but we don't want to put this adorable cat thru this if there is a long & painful recovery waiting. At present, he is not in pain & he just lays around & avoids walking. We are aware that this situation will deteriorate so I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had first hand experience with the success(or lack of) with this operation

Medusa
10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I've not had experience w/it or even heard of it in cats but I just wanted to say that I'm sending up a prayer that all will be well for the little kitty. :)

aTailOf2Kitties
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
i've never heard of it in cats either. Would they do both hips at once?
found some info on the 'net: http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/Feline_Hip_Dysplasia_Web.pdf
Fortunately cats are relatively lightweight and seem to recover from hip surgery pretty well. My Havoc had a procedure in which the head of the femur was removed and he was walking on it fully within a week (with a decreasing limp after that. He's fine now). I just don't know how well a cat with 2 bad hips would tolerate the pain.

BaBaWaWa
10-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks for your prayer Medusa, & thanks to you too, A Tail of 2 Kitties for your info. The operation would involve both hips at the same time & our concern is the prognosis as well as the post op pain & healing time. Is it fair to put this adorable animal thru this stress? As he ages(as with humans) will this deteriorate & would we be looking at more surgery?

aTailOf2Kitties
10-10-2009, 09:22 AM
i think he would be more likely to get arthritis as he ages after surgery, but if his hips are already damaged he'd likely get it anyway.