PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for Barack Obama!

Kirsten
10-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Just heard the news: :)

from cnn.com:
Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html)

Kirsten

Marigold2
10-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Well done Mr. President. A surprise but well deserved.

pomtzu
10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Unbelievable!!! :(

I thought at least he should have been given some time to do something to earn it. :rolleyes::eek:

I see this topic headed for the Dog House! :p

sasvermont
10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
:D:cool:
:):cool:

What more can I say?

A wonderful acknowledgement!

Randi
10-09-2009, 06:42 AM
That's great! He has the right values and deserves the hounor! :)

Sirrahsim
10-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I have no problem with our President. I don't agree with some of his ideas but I don't dislike the man.
In my opinion, awarding an esteemed prize like the Nobel Peace Prize based on what someone MIGHT do is utterly ridiculous. It cheapens the award for the people who have actually already done something to deserve it.

pomtzu
10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I have no problem with our President. I don't agree with some of his ideas but I don't dislike the man.
In my opinion, awarding an esteemed prize like the Nobel Peace Prize based on what someone MIGHT do is utterly ridiculous. It cheapens the award for the people who have actually already done something to deserve it.

AMEN to that! I think someone jumped the gun on this one. And I have noticed something - it seems most all people who don't live in the U.S. think that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. All I can say is - "let him prove it". I'll give the man credit if and when credit is due. Nine months in office and he's hardly had time to get his feet wet, and his approval rating is dropping rather fast. The honeymoon is over - now it's time to live up to the expectations of those who put him in office. :p

Kirsten
10-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I see there's also a similar thread in the Dog House now...

Well, it also seems early to me, but I figure the prize was meant to be some kind of encouragement, and a political statement. Sounds like even the White House was surprised. Can't wait to hear Obama's speech, which will be aired on tv in less than 30 minutes.

Kirsten

Catty1
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't want his job, that's for sure!:eek:

Congrats, Sir.

CountryWolf07
10-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Agreed.

Puckstop31
10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Well, it also seems early to me, but I figure the prize was meant to be some kind of encouragement, and a political statement. Sounds like even the White House was surprised. Can't wait to hear Obama's speech, which will be aired on tv in less than 30 minutes.

Kirsten

It has to be this... And don't ya think that cheapens the value of the award? Especially when people like Mother Theresa, Desmond Tutu, etc have been given the award? You know, people who actually DID something?

Kirsten
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
It has to be this... And don't ya think that cheapens the value of the award? Especially when people like Mother Theresa, Desmond Tutu, etc have been given the award? You know, people who actually DID something?

Well, yes, I know what you mean, and I agree it could be seen this way. Looks like the Nobel commitee saw it in a different way. As chairman Thorbjoern Jagland has stated, things like that (giving the prize to someone who's still in the process of doing something) have been done in the past, like when German chancellor Willy Brand got the prize in 1971, or Mikhail Gorbachev. Like them, Pres. Obama is perceived as someone who gives people hope.

BTW, I saw Obama's statement, and maybe it's just me, but I got the impression he was not too happy about this himself, at least not at this point.

Kirsten