PDA

View Full Version : My Helping Hand

Aspen and Misty
10-06-2002, 12:30 AM
(We have to wright a report for school on someone who has helped us. I thought ya'll might be interested to hear who I picked.)

My Helping Hand

I recently formed a Decease called Tendentious in my right shoulder. My arm is in a sling and I can't move it without alot of pain. I am right handed so it is hard for me to do alot of things. I can only hold one thing at a time, a glass will sometimes be to heavy for my right arm to hold. I constanly would drop things or need to carry more then one item at a time. It was hard for me to do alot of things and I began to get frustrated quickly. Like cleaning the family room. It took me a half hour to clean it when it should only take 5 minuits. But because I could only carry one thing out of the room and one thing to clean the room with, it took me forever. If something was in the way of the vacum I had to stop and go pick it up then put it where it belonged, where normally I would quickly snatch it up with my left hand and hold it till we were done vacuming. My arm became my worst enmy, I couldn't even stand to do my homework because it took me so long to write left handed. I knew I needed soemthing to help me do my chores. But what? As I thought back on the week a certain someone came to mind. My Australian Shepherd mix, Chewy. For the past week or two I had been teaching Chewy how to pick things up with his mouth, carry them and then set them in my hand. We started out with Toys. I would say Chewy get it, bring it, and then give. He would drop it alot at first but I just kept telling him to get it. He finally got the concept and would carry his toys from one room to another. We then moved on to his leash and I made him carry it from my bedroom, down the hallway, through the kitchen and then to the door hand it to me, all that just to go for a walk, but Chewy was really enjoying his new job. We soon moved on to odd things like silverware, paper, which he crinkles and drolls all over :D and other things around the house that you might drop or need carried. I thought that since I could no longer clean as fast because I only had one hand why not get another? Chewy became my helping hand. He began to help me do chores. I would ask him to pick things up and carry them to where they belonged and then hand them to me so I could put them on a shelf or in the laundry basket. He would hold on to the thing in his mouth till he heard me say give, he never once dropped the item. My family loves to watch me and Chewy do our chores because he is such a helping hand.

Ashley

Uabassoon
10-06-2002, 01:17 AM
That is such a great story. I wish I could teach my cats to help me with my housework. I'm glad you have such a wonderful dog to help you when you need him.

jenluckenbach
10-06-2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I wish I could teach my cats to help me .....

That is a terrific story. I bet Chewy is very proud of himself being able to learn to help. :)

TEACH CATS??????? What were you thinking??? :confused:

Cookiebaker
10-06-2002, 08:02 AM
That's a great story!! And what a smart cookie Chewy is!! :D

ChrisH
10-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Oh Ashley, that is so great! Chewy is just wonderful and so clever! :D
Love and hugs to you both. :)

FloppsyLadySally54
10-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Hey Chewy, thanks for helping out our friend here!! Hope your shoulder gets better soon, Ash. Give Chewy a great big hug from me :D .