PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Problem at Work

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Ok so it was just brought to my attention that we have a groundhog that is very large living outside my building at work. The owner would love to shot it or run him over and I told them that I would trap it and release it elsewhere.

Why do I get myself involved in these situations. I just contacted a wildlife place and hopefully they will be ableto come out and trap it.

We'll see.

Melissa

happylabs
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Hmmmmmm...what is the groundhog doing that bothers the owner? I know they dig holes and chew on wood because I have a family of them living under my old shed and they seem to love the type of wood it is made out of. I just let them alone and they don't bother me much.

Husky_mom
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
you certainly did the right thing.. the thing he shouldŽve thought of first.. hopefully they can go and trap to relocate...

and you ,as anyone here too, gets involved is because we love life and every creature deserves good treatment.. and if we can help.. you bet weŽll do it..

Freedom
10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Good for you!! And you found someone who will actually DO the trapping? WOW! So far, all you've done is some research and a phone call. So don't feel too badly. Keep us up on how it goes!

Catherinedana
10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
People are so ready to kill other creatures that actually BELONG there in the first place. There is something very wrong with the world, but I think we on PT all know that already!! :mad:

I have moles in my backyard and since I don't have a lawn (horrible things, lawns!) and my yard is basically xerophilic and, admittedly, quite overgrown, I don't care! We just have to be careful of soft spots when we walk. Several people have said, "You have to kill them because they will destroy your plants and eat everything". WRONG! They eat BUGS! Yay! We need more creatures in Florida that eat the palmettos and wood roaches and earwigs (does anything actually eat them?) etc that overrun the place. The moles also aerate the soil and so are good for gardens. . .unless you have the dreaded LAWN, which their burrows will destroy.

OK- sorry for the tirade. I get crazy. . .:rolleyes:

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Well I know work is not going to pay $350 to have someone come out here to get rid of a groundhog so it looks like maybe tomorrow night I'll set up the trap and see what happens and take him elsewhere and release him.

Melissa

Thank you for your inquiry. Set up of multiple traps and one return trip is 350 plus tax, any additional trips are billed separately at 115 plus tax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Groundhog at work
Importance: High

Hi-

I was wondering how could I go about trapping and releasing a groundhog?

We have a pretty large size groundhog that has dug a pretty big hole outside our building and the owners would like it removed and I'm trying to safe it's life by releasing it elsewhere.

Can you give me any tips about how to go about this or how much it would cost to have you come out and get him?

Thanks,
Melissa

Catherinedana
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Never actually saw a ground hog so I did some research and Googled them. Found these pictures. . .the second one is a bit worrisome. . .

lvpets2002
10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
:) Melissa be so carefull & dont get bit.. I think the live traping & releaseing is a great idea.. However I would report this to a Game Warden that knows how to handle wild live animals & he is paid by the state to do these jobs.. So he cannot charge you anything..

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I call the PA Game Comission and they won't come out. They only handle dead deers mostly. The said I could contact someone from the Pest Control and they could handle it but I don't want this animal to get killed.

I'll be extra careful :)

Thanks,
Melissa

lvpets2002
10-07-2009, 03:27 PM
:rolleyes: MMmm sounds like some Lazy Buttss.. Here in Tx they will come out.. Well get you some thick gloves for when you pickup the trap to load for just in case his claws or he starts snapping the trap.. Just be carefull..

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Will do :)

I've been bitten before by cats, wonder if it will feel the same.

But I'm going to try to avoid that as much as possible. I have to contact my friend who cat traps first and see when I can pick one up. I really need to get one of my own but I just don't have the room to store one.

Thanks,
melissa

Puckstop31
10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Unless the law has changed in PA... Hired animal control companies are required to destroy any woodchucks they capture alive. They are classified as a pest. So if you want to move the animal, but keep it alive you will have to aquire a live catch trap and do it yourself.

You can get live catch traps at Bass Pro Shops and other such places. If you choose to do this, please be very, very careful. They can carry rabies and the animal will NOT be happy while in the trap.

Good Luck

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I will be very careful. I can't see putting this animal down just because he chose to dig near our building and semi-under it.

I've never seen it, apparently they say it's huge. I don't want it euthanized and I'll take gloves so he doesn't bite me hopefully :)

Thanks,
Melissa

Puckstop31
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Something like this...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_88241____SearchResults

This will allow you to trap, move and then release the animal without touching it. Just be sure to move it at least a few miles away from where you catch it. It would be best to release it in a park or something similar and NOT near a farm.

Cinder & Smoke
10-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Interesting Groundhog article >>>
http://www.pvewildlife.com/groundhogs.htm

Here's the Trapper Guy's home page >>>
http://www.pvewildlife.com/index.htm

;)

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know if the groundhog is getting ready to disappear for the winter?? Should I trap it yet I'm wondering?

Melissa

K9karen
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
M.. we have a family of groundhogs who have had run ins with Mz Logan and haven't been back in our yard, but our neighbor's.
I don't see hide nor hair of them in winter.

If you call a local SPCA, they should be able to give you a name of a Game Warden. That's how our neighbor's got rid of about 8 of them a few years back. BUT... the trap also catches chipmunks and possums and other local critters. The warden would NOT release them because they were already caught (my tears didn't help) and unfortunately, he does not release them because they will inhabit some other place. I need not tell you what he does..:(:(:(:(:(

My hairdresser called the local county municipal office. For a few $$ he got a trap. He wore heavy duty gloves and drove them to a local park area..lots of trees and ponds and food etc.
Best way to go. Nature will take care of itself..IMO

blue
10-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I had to watch "Groundhog Day" because of this thread.

From C&S's link...

This means that all nuisance groundhogs MUST be euthanized by law.

I hope you arent breaking the law by relocating the little fella. Good luck on a succesful trap and release.

Anikaca77
10-08-2009, 07:34 AM
:)

Well u know me, I do what I have to try to save a poor animal. I guess I just worry about moving him this late in the season, because what if he already has his food supply ready and I'm going to be taking him away from that you know.

I talked with the game commission and they didn't say I was breaking the law by trapping him myself or anything.

I know they can carry rabies but this guy isn't out that much and he doesn't seem to be a threat other than the fact that he has dug a huge hole but it's hidden so I don't know yet.

I just hate to take him away this late in the season especially if he's stocked up for the winter but then if he gets trapped under the crawl space and dies then we will smell him in the winter and everyone will grump.

Melissa

I had to watch "Groundhog Day" because of this thread.

From C&S's link...

I hope you arent breaking the law by relocating the little fella. Good luck on a succesful trap and release.

Anikaca77
10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
When do groundhogs hibernate?

We usually leave our summer dens by late August or early September to find our winter dens. We begin hibernation in late September or October. During hibernation, we fall into a very deep sleep. When it gets really cold, our body temperature will drop to just below freezing, and our heart rate and breathing slows way down. Why Groundhog Day is celebrated on February 2 I don't know. We do not emerge from hibernation until March or sometimes even April (in colder areas). Remember, if the ground is white, we're outta sight!

So I think it might be best to let him alone for right now and if he's around in the spring and there are no babies I'll move him.

RICHARD
10-08-2009, 10:43 AM
SHove mothballs down his hole.

Not that hole......where he lives.

That sometimes works in getting rid of them. but you have to be careful because it forces them to make new escape routes..:eek: