PDA

View Full Version : Dear pet people, please help us!

Karen
10-06-2009, 03:57 PM
If you are a child, this message is not for you.

With the economic downturn and current circumstances, advertising revenue has been declining, and has recently plummeted. Now more than ever we need your help. There are two basic ways to combat this problem. We either need a different method to pay for our websites or we need a lot more visitors.

1) For the few people who are willing and able, we are accepting donations here (http://petoftheday.com/fundraiser.html).

2) We know there are millions of people on the Internet who love pets as much as you and I do. Perhaps, you could invite your friends or family who would enjoy Pet of the Day, Dog of the Day, Cat of the Day, and Pet Talk to visit.

There are so many ways you can share the fun! From things as simple as telling any pet people you know, to contacting friends with a link. Those of you who are more tech-saavy, we'd love links on any websites you have, any tweets about us, and for you to retweet our daily posts to your followers. If you have a blog, please mention our sites and link to us.

As several people have suggested in the past, we will be considering selling items like T-shirts and tote bags. We are not considering charging for membership. Please comments and suggestions to this thread on Pet Talk or info @ Petoftheday.com

Pet of the Day - http://PetoftheDay.com
Cat of the Day - http://CatoftheDay.com
Dog of the Day - http://DogoftheDay.com

Pet Talk - http://PetoftheDay.com/talk
Pet Talk - http://PetTalk.com

Twitter: @petoftheday (http://twitter.com/dogofthedaycom), @catoftheday (http://twitter.com/catoftheday) or @dogofthedaycom (http://twitter.com/petoftheday)

iGoogle gadgets (http://petoftheday.com/gadgets/)

lvpets2002
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
:) Hey its more like when do I Not Talk About Pet Talk.. I talk about PT to everyone.. Might I make just one suggestion Karen.. Have you thought of charging a small fee for getting your pet on POTD & DOTD & COTD.. Just a thought.. However I will be sending you a check like always.. I have your address already unless you have moved..

pomtzu
10-06-2009, 04:46 PM
A small token of thanks on the way......

Pinot's Mom
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Some help on the way from here...hope everything works out OK! Thanks for all you do! :)

Taz_Zoee
10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I am unable to donate right now. But as soon as I get some bills paid down I will definitely send you a check. Afterall, I don't know what I'd do without my Pet Talk family. :D

Prairie Purrs
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I'll send something along as soon as my mid-month paycheck arrives. Caly has volunteered to retweet the COTD posts on Twitter (he has his own account ;)). And I would happily purchase a nice big PT coffee mug should such a thing ever become available. :D

Hellow
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
*cranks his social networking machine*

You want more visitors? Hopefully this will make some for you.

Blog post: http://scalar.cluenet.org/hellow/2009/10/06/pet-of-the-day-where-the-pet-people-go/
Shortened Link: http://bit.ly/7yqB5

Husky_mom
10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
*cranks his social networking machine*

You want more visitors? Hopefully this will make some for you.

the person I was expecting to reply.. hehe.. is there a way that you can make a link button or something that we can add to our facebooks..I certainly have a few pet lover people there.. or just posting the link would do?

cassiesmom
10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Uh-oh! This announcement reminded me that I owe PT a 13th birthday donation! Whoops! Karen, I will have it in tomorrow's mail.

Thank you for the gift of PT,
elyse

Hellow
10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
the person I was expecting to reply.. hehe.. is there a way that you can make a link button or something that we can add to our facebooks..I certainly have a few pet lover people there.. or just posting the link would do?

I edited in a blog post; You can add it to your wall/etc. by clicking the relative button at the bottom of the post.

Karen
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM

You can post the link, or can use the graphic at the top of the page
http://67.19.42.180/talki/PetTalk.jpg or use one of the daily pet icons to post on Facebook ....

moosmom
10-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Karen,

Do you have a Paypal acct?? I'll be able to send you something on the 3rd of Nov. Hope that's okay.

I don't know what I'd do without Pet Talk!!!! Being without PT and all the wonderful people on it is like being without AIR!!!!!

Karen
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes, we do! On the donation page (http://petoftheday.com/fundraiser.html) is our Paypal info. Thanks!

And thanks everyone, every bit helps.

Hellow
10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Hmm, on the topic of links:
Karen, perhaps adding a AddThis button to the fundraiser page, or to PetOfTheDay itself, would help things?
http://addthis.com/

Karen
10-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I think we will soon do a survey, and we will add coffee mugs to the list of things people might want to buy sometime in the future.

Thanks for the links, Reggie/Hellow. Thanks for your regular link on your blog post, too. Just so everyone else knows, even if no one clicks on any of your links to us, Google and Bing will find it, and it counts as a point in our favor. Direct links work best, as bit.ly links might not count, just FYI.

We had not heard of Addthis.com - thanks for that link. Maybe we will try it, or maybe we will make our own ""addthis"-like button.

Pinot's Mom
10-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I was thinking...at dinner I was talking to my husband about what the SPCA in Baltimore does every October, it's called Shop A Paw Looza, and it's a month long auction of donated items. Could something like that work? We could all pitch in new or handmade items, art, as well as possible gift cards to stores and bid on them for a certain amount of time giving all the proceeds to Pet Talk? Just a thought...

Karen
10-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I was thinking...at dinner I was talking to my husband about what the SPCA in Baltimore does every October, it's called Shop A Paw Looza, and it's a month long auction of donated items. Could something like that work? We could all pitch in new or handmade items, art, as well as possible gift cards to stores and bid on them for a certain amount of time giving all the proceeds to Pet Talk? Just a thought...

That's a very good idea, it's like our local PBS tv stations auction, but online. Paul fondly remembers getting the Sesame Street record from the auction several years in a row. Now there are kids who don't even know what a record is!

Pinot's Mom
10-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I thought that sounded like a good fit...if you want to check it out go to mdspca.org and go to the Shop A Paw Looza link to see how it works.

mrspunkysmom
10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Kitty cat costs have been EXPENSIVE this month but I'll try to send something.

How does extra visitors help?

Karen
10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Extra visitors doesn't help, but one out of every hundred visitors or so happens to click on an ad. Please do not click on the ads unless you are genuinely interested. Almost all the ad programs prevent us from asking people to click on the ads, and not only that, if people click on the ads frivolously, we can get banned from entire programs, even important ones like Google.

Independent of the monetary aspect, the more people who see the websites the better. Bringing a little bit of joy into their lives every day makes me happy, and the more nominations we get, the better! We hope to do our part to make the world a happier place - for people and pets!

Cinder & Smoke
10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
For the people who are willing and able, we are accepting donations here (http://petoftheday.com/fundraiser.html).

OK, DONE! :)

PayPal sez "The Check's inna E-mail" ...
Hope they *licked* da stamp! :p

/w/ :love: ~ Phred & the FurKids

Karen
10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks so much, Phred and the furkids, and thanks to everyone who has donated, we really appreciate your support!

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Although money is tight for me right now, I'd love to donate something to PT. I don't know what I'd do without this wonderful website.:) I still love the idea of you selling t-shirts with the Pet Talk Logo on them. I know that I'd buy one.:)

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I like this idea. Maybe something on Ebay would work too?

I don't have the funds at the moment and I'm afraid I won't till Dec. most likely. But I will donate something then if that would be ok.

Melissa

Randi
10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
I would definately like to contribute, but I may not be able to right now. As soon as I can, I will send a contribution! Will also keep telling people about Pet Talk. :)

Selling t-shirt, mugs etc sounds like a great idea too. We must keep Pet Talk going!!

beeniesmom
10-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I posted the link to the site on my facebook.

Karen
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone, and whenever you can is fine, okay?

Thanks for the link, Carmen!

anna_66
10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
A little gift is in the mail:)

lizbud
10-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I will send something by Friday. :)

I too think the coffee mugs, t-shirts, mouse pads,etc,etc are all good
ideas. All with the POTD email addy on it.:)

Karen
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you both!

Barbara
10-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Paypal said it's on its way :)

wolf_Q
10-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I sent a paypal donation. Sorry its not that much but work is slow I'm rather poor right now.

anichka5
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
If you do start selling coffee mugs, please make them really big! So often they are too small for that first cup of the day. Big ones- sign me up for 4!

I try to catch the pets on your site every morning because no matter how tough a day it is or is going to be, all of those little sweethearts make me smile! Will post a link to Pet of the Day on my facebook page.

Thank you.

Karen
10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks, everyone!

dukedogsmom
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll make a payment with Paypal tomorrow. I hope lots of people are able to do so. Even if it's just $5. Every little bit helps.

cassiesmom
10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I think we will soon do a survey, and we will add coffee mugs to the list of things people might want to buy sometime in the future.

Have coffee, need mug! :D Karen, for donations via Paypal are you able to see who the sender is?

Karen
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Yes, we are, and so I send thank you notes to everyone as we receive the donations.

Karen
10-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Continued thanks, the mailman delivered some today, too.

lbaker
10-10-2009, 09:52 AM
The check is in the mail, and that is no hollow promise. I have your address from Christmas card list. You all have saved me many more times than you will ever know.
Laurie

Karen
10-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Laurie, and it is always good to hear from you!

MonicanHonda
10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I will definitely advertise this site. It's awesome!!! :) It's the only site that I see actively trying to get it's pt-ers together. :) I love it.

Do you think we could post a sign at dog parks??? I had put up a sign for the labor day party, could I make one for the website?

If you come out with t-shirts I'm definitely there! :)

Karen
10-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Sure, posting a sign about the site would be fine, and a fun way to get others to learn about the site, thanks!

momtomany
10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
A small donation from the Dunn gang to help.:love:

captain
10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Done :)

Sorry I only saw this TODAY - been CHAOS here at work ...

Karen
10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
That's okay, there's no deadline! :) Thanks everyone, we do appreciate it, and it all helps!

ratterrierruckus
10-13-2009, 03:41 AM
Sent it in -- under my significant other's name :)

Thank you for this wonderful site -- I look at it every day!

CRT

Karen
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks! And thanks to everyone whose contributions came in the mail today, including the person who didn't include a name or even a return address, so all I have is a postmark!

Barbiecat1
10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I would be more than happy to buy products from you if you sold them. I support the Animal Rescue Website this way and would also take care of you, too.

kb2yjx
10-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Karen!!! I will be sending you a cheque!!! I would LOVE to buy a mug or two, and always in need of a good canvas tote bag that I can take to the grocery store to put items in. Save the postage and send me a pm when you get the cheque!!! Sandra and all the Clan!!!

Karen
10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Will do! I always PM or email people that I can ... so make sure you include a clue. The one person I could not find a way to thank just put cash in an envelope with an unsigned note, and didn't write a return address on the envelope, either!

chocolatepuppy
10-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I will be sending something soon. I'm very interested in a PT mug. ;)

cassiesmom
10-17-2009, 05:56 PM
and always in need of a good canvas tote bag that I can take to the grocery store to put items in.

That's another great idea. A Pet Talk Chico Bag! I need one for the supermarket, because they're encouraging reusable bags now instead of plastic.

Edited to say: I need AT LEAST one for the supermarket. But wait - a canvas bag - I can always use another one of those, too. Especially at Christmas and Easter when I am toting a LOT of music back and forth to rehearsals, plus tuner, water bottle, and sometimes a metal music stand.

Karen, how is the fund raising going, are you getting what you need?

susanswatlin518
10-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I DO ENJOY PET TALK. I THINK THE IDEA OF OFFERING COFFEE CUPS AND OTHER ITEMS IS A GREAT IDEA. IF I CAN SEND A DONATION I WILL TRY TO. I AM NOTT SURE ALL PET OWNERS COULD PAY A FEE TO SEE THEIR PETS ON THE SITE BUT IT'S NOT A BAD IDEA. I WOULD HATE NOT HAVING OTHER PET PEOPLE IN MY CYBER/INTERNET FAMILY.:love::love::love:IALSO-KAREN IF YOU COULD SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSEGE CONCERNING WHETHER YOU RECEIVED PHOTOS OF MY CATS FOR CAT OF THE DAY? REMEMBER-I WAS UNABLE TO EMAIL THEM SO I MAILED THEM. I HOPE THEY REACHED YOU ALRIGHT. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE CATS OF THE DAY SO MUCH. I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SHARE MY CATS AS WELL. THANKS. SUSANSWATLIN518

finn's mom
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I will donate if I can, but being down to one income makes it a bit difficult. ;) I love the idea of reusable grocery bags with "Pet Talk" on them! Maybe even one that can be personalized with the buyer's pet's photo on it? That would be cool! The Pet Talk logo on one side and Finn's picture on the other. ;) I haven't used plastic bags in over a year, so I'm always using totes at the stores (even regular retail stores, not just grocery!).

krazyaboutkatz
10-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Karen, I'll most likely be sending you my donation when I send you and Paul a Christmas card. I hope that's okay with you.:)

Karen
10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh, yes, that would be fine! Thanks again, everyone!

Karen
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Thank you to the anonymous person who put cash, well wrapped, in an envelope for a donation, we do appreciate it, even if I cannot thank you personally because you didn't put your name!

Kirsten
10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Just donated a small amount via paypal. Can't give much atm, but will donate more next month! Hope it helps!

Kirsten

Karen
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Every bit does help, I promise! Thank you!

lvpets2002
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
:) Hey Karen I popped a Check in the Mail yesterday.. It will be in a Halloween Card.. Let me know of its arrival.. Many Thanks..

Karen
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Awww, I will! :) And thanks!

Nomilynn
11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I would love to have a PT mug and grocery tote bag. And I agree - the coffee mugs do need to be nice a big!! :)

I will try to send a donation via Christmas card as well :)

gini
11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Do we need to bump this up as a reminder to everyone?

Karen
11-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I want to thank everyone again. The messages we get with the donations are just as welcome to us as the donations themselves. We love hearing from people, and in the case of Pet Talkers, we get to learn some peoples' real names for the first time! :)

Lorrie 1952
11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Karen & Paul,

I am sending you a donation out today by 'snail mail'.
My family which includes the fantastic Finnegan, that you profiled 7/8/09 is forever grateful and would hate to think that this could stop because of economics.
Your site is the first thing I pull up every morning at the start of my business day. THANK YOU for bringing so much joy and love.

Karen
11-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Thank you very much, everyone! We do appreciate it!

Grace
12-24-2009, 11:42 AM
I sent a check in my Christmas card. Did you get it, or did I put it in the wrong envelope :eek:

Karen
12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh, sorry I didn't PM you to say thanks! I thought I had, way back on December 1. Thanks again!

Catty1
01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Just sent from my business PayPal cause the PW for the personal one didn't work! LOL Watch for cccomputercare!:)

Are you managing to get enough to help out some?

hugs!

Karen
01-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Yes, it is helping out, and the notes and cards that come with the donations are appreciated as well!

sasha the cat
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Dear Karen & Paul,

I just read your note re the cost of maintaining my favourite Website. I am happy to do that and on Monday (February 1st 2010) I'm sending you my personal cheque to help support this wonderful site.

When my eldest sister, Marita died so suddenly at a young age, the support from friends at your site brought me so much comfort.

When my darling Sasha (the Queen Calico Cat) was so ill many of the people who are akin to family within "Cat/Dog/Pet of the Day" gave me so much support. I will not forget that.

When DukeDog passed away it was so upsetting. His Momma, Val and I keep in touch via email every now and then.

Your site has introduced me to so many wondeful people who are pet lovers. How can I not thank you?

As I live in Canada I have no idea how long it will take my cheque to arrive, but I will be mailing it to Karen on February 1st.

With thanks to Karen & Paul for hosting this wonderful site, and to you who have supported and comforted us please join me in supporting Karen and Paul.

On behalf of Norman the King, Felix the Prince, Baby Rascal the Prince (all rescued kitties) and the outdoor strays whom we feed, Ebony, Rusty and FluffStuff, KatMa (Susan) and Paw-Paw (Murray) we are happy to support this website. Remember with all causes, every dollar counts...

Susan & Murray
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

sasha the cat
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I wanted to mention I blog now (I'm a rookie blogger). If you would like to check out my blog which features my kitties, click here:

http://sashacanadian.blogspot.com

:love:

Karen
01-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Thank you, we do appreciate it! I will let you know via PM when the check arrives, I promise. Kisses to the kitties and a hug for you!

rg_girlca
01-31-2010, 12:16 AM
I am sorry to say Karen, that I am way over due in sending out a check to you. Everytime I think of it, something happens that puts it on the back burner. Now that I've seen this thread again, I can promise you that a check will be in the mail come Monday.

Even though I haven't been on lately, I always check in now and then to read what is going on. It's a joy to know that there are so many pet lovers around who won't think that I am just some crazy cat lady and who truely understands how I feel about my furkids.

Thank you & Paul for all that you do.

Karen
01-31-2010, 01:05 AM
You're welcome, and thank you in advance. We love the site, and that people here understand what I have known my whole life - pets are "people" too - just different, and in some ways, better!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I wish I could contribute too but finances are so tight that every penny is already accounted for but when I win that lottery.............

Smarties
02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
hi there, i hope all goes well smarties

Taz_Zoee
02-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Just wanted to say, I have not forgotten about this. In fact, I am making a note of it to send in my donation out of my next check (hopefully) which I get March 5th. :)

cassiesmom
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I see the fund raiser banner ... payday is this week so I'll get to it in a few days.

For the record: I :love: PET TALK!

Thanks,
elyse

Karen
12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I started a new thread for this year, thanks, Elyse! I'll be closing this one now, and folks, the new one is here! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=164963)