PDA

View Full Version : I was reduced to tears yesterday, here's why...

moosmom
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
As you know, my daughter Amy is a 18 year cancer survivor. She's getting married!!! Something I never thought would ever happen.

We went gown shopping yesterday with her maid of honor, cousin Jackie. I walked in the door a little late and this is what I saw. The attendant immediately handed me a box of Kleenex. How perceptive. I burst into tears.

The first words out of her mouth were "WOW!!! I feel like a princess!!!" Hence the WOW factor.

Here ya go!!

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab18/deploss/DCP_3940.jpg?t=1254777709
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab18/deploss/DCP_3938.jpg?t=1254778125

Her tattoo is a shooting star/rainbow with the words "Survivor" under it.

The dress is beaded with Swarovsky Crystals. The tiara ($189) matches the dress. The fingertip veil is also beaded in Swarovsky Crystals.

Scooter's Mom
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Donna, she looks like a princess. :)
If that's her choice, it's BEAUTIFUL!

moosmom
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Scooter's Mom,

It's bought and paid for (she got a David's Bridals credit card). Jackie and I told her to forgo the tiara and veil, that she and I would find it cheaper elsewhere.

She tried on at least 10 dresses and this was the one. She didn't have that reaction with any other dress. There was one other one that she tried on. It was a v-neck with a "vintage" lace over it. It was a champagne color. But the WOW dress was the one, by far.

She himmed and hawed. After telling her for 30 years that if she sees something she likes and wants, to buy it because she'll be pissed if she goes back and it's not there, she FINALLY listened to me. Just this once.

I get teared up just thinking about how far she's come. My baby is a grown woman, about to be married to a wonderful guy, and gets a 7 year old stepson who adores her.:D:D:D

lvpets2002
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
:) Yes I so Agree.. Many Congrats Donna..
Donna, she looks like a princess. :)
If that's her choice, it's BEAUTIFUL!

Killearn Kitties
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
The glitter from the crystals is just gorgeous! When is the wedding going to be Donna?

Karen
10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Lovely dress, and a lovely bride she will be! Congratulations to Amy, and to you!

lizbud
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
The gown is gorgeous & your daughter looks lovely in it.:) You must be
so happy for her.:) Proud Mom, you bet.:D

moosmom
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
The date is set for May 29, 2011.

Moesha
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
That dress does look beautiful on her. It's so nice when you get that feeling and know that you've found the perfect dress for yourself.

Medusa
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Wishing her a marriage as beautiful as her wedding.......:)

Genny
10-05-2009, 05:14 PM
She looks very beautiful in that dress :) Congratulations!! :cool: And I think her tattoo sounds real cool. It means somethin...

Laura's Babies
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
That is a "WOW" dress! That is what I said when I saw it!! It is beautiful on her and she is going to be a real Princess Bride on her wedding day..

moosmom
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm sure I'll cry buckets on her wedding day. But they will be tears of joy.

sasvermont
10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Donna, the dress is out of this world, pretty. It appears to be a perfect fit as well. She looks so lovely in the dress! I love the jewels on it! Wow.

I hope the special day is a great memory for all of you. Yep, you will cry. She will too!

Congrats!
:love:

Grace
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Definitely a WOW dress, and another WOW for the bride wearing it.

I totally understand the tears, Donna. Such a journey the two of you have had getting to this point :love:

moosmom
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Sasvermont,

Actually, she can't cry. When they removed the tumor from her brainstem, one of the things she lost was her emotions. But she will be beaming, I can tell you that. So will I and her father and her *ahem* stepmother (who hates my guts, by the way).

sparks19
10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
she is SO beautiful and congratulations to both of you on the wedding and the entire journey

for her tiara I don't know what they were charging but you may want to search on etsy for the tiara and veil. you can get some GORGEOUS items for a good price that are handmade and made with love :)

moosmom
10-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Sparks19,

That's what her maid of honor and I told her. We took pictures of the tiara and the beading detail on the veil and will either try to duplicate it at a MUCH LOWER COST, or find something online. Jackie (MOH) was all over it the minute she got home. Amy got an email with pictures of what we saw. $189 for a freaking tiara is insane!! Especially for one day. That is unless she plans on becoming a tooth fairy and wears the tiara and carries a magic wand with her!:p:p

She saw a pair of shoes she liked too. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter more than life itself. But, like her mother (*bows head in shame*) she is a klutz and trips easily. The shoes were beautiful but, as Jackie also pointed out, no one is going to be looking at her feet!!! The outrageous price for the shoes can be well spent elsewhere, say HONEYMOON!!!!

happylabs
10-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Congrats mom and the dress is beautiful.

Anikaca77
10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Congrats, she looks beautiful.

Melissa

davidpizzica
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Donna, Amy is the most awsome woman in the perfect wedding dress. You have the right to be a proud mama and cry at the same time!

Karen
10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
She saw a pair of shoes she liked too. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter more than life itself. But, like her mother (*bows head in shame*) she is a klutz and trips easily. The shoes were beautiful but, as Jackie also pointed out, no one is going to be looking at her feet!!! The outrageous price for the shoes can be well spent elsewhere, say HONEYMOON!!!!

For my wedding, I joked to the kids at camp (I was a camp counselor) that I didn't even need to wear shoes, as my gown was floor-length and no one was gonna see my feet anyway! One little girl was so worried, she mail me a card after camp was over in the shape of a shoe!

What I did was buy an inexpensive pair of off-white shoes with a low heel (count me among the klutzes!), and sew some of the lace left over from my gown onto the shoes. Amy's got a good lead time, she can look for white shoes now that they are out of season, an you and she can decorate them with crystals and make them not only sparkly and pretty, but unique! And the little girl was quite relieved I wore shoes at all!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Gorgeous!

As for shoes, my sister wore a nice pair of flip flops for her wedding shoes. She's very tiny and her husband is a big guy so she really could have used a heal, but she was too worried about falling so she went with what she was comfortable in, flip flops.

cassiesmom
10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
What a beautiful gown! Congratulations, Donna and your daughter!

When my dear friend Lisa got married, she bought a pair of white Keds instead of dress shoes because she had always had problems with her feet. We took out the Ked laces and put in blue ribbons for the ceremony and reception, and then she put the Ked laces back in and wore them on her honeymoon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
WOW, that is a FANTASTIC dress, Donna!!! Amy will be a beautiful bride!!

I have one question though: what if her weight changes? In nearly 1,5 year, lots can change.... (I did have to make my dress wider, and i bought it only 5 monhs in advance :rolleyes:)

Miranda_Rae
10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
WOW thats a gorgeous dress!!! Swarovsky Crystals are very expensive. My future mother in law works at one of their stores and she bought me my wedding jewelry!!! I think its a very pretty dress and she looks so beautiful in it. I felt the same way bout feeling like a princess when i tried my dress on!!

I'm sure I'll cry buckets on her wedding day. But they will be tears of joy.

That is going to be my mom too!!! Cept she cant cry too much cuz shes my maid of honor! :)

moosmom
10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Maya & Inka's Mom,

She's been going to the gym and working out. Since Paul has moved in and does most of the cooking, she knows she's gotta watch her weight.

Miranda Rae,

We have a Swarovsky Crystal store in the Buckland Hills Mall. I told her I would buy her wedding jewelry, all she has to do is pick it out. Hopefully we can find the same crystals that are on her gown. We took pictures of the detail on the veil to give us a better idea what we're looking for.

Miranda_Rae
10-28-2009, 10:40 PM
We have a Swarovsky Crystal store in the Buckland Hills Mall. I told her I would buy her wedding jewelry, all she has to do is pick it out. Hopefully we can find the same crystals that are on her gown. We took pictures of the detail on the veil to give us a better idea what we're looking for.

See my parents bought my wedding dress (against my protests) and my future mother in law bought the jewelry. I read earlier that the tiara was 170 something or something like that!! Thats OUTRAGEOUS!!!! When i looked at them they were like 70 and i thought that was too much just for something you are going to wear one day! So i am trying to find a cheaper one thats nice but thats not really happening. Veils are rediculous too! My mom is making mine!

Marigold2
10-29-2009, 10:04 AM
I had no idea your daughter had cancer. How wonderful to see a happy story however. She looks beautiful. The dress is lovely. Enjoy this time with your daughter, wishing you all the happiness life can bring.

CountryWolf07
10-29-2009, 01:43 PM
That is such a BEAUTIFUL dress!! :)

moosmom
10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Marigold2,

Yup! She's been in remission for 18 years!!! As she told me, "Mom, I never EVER thought I'd find someone who loves me for me, let alone want to MARRY me!!!"

I tear up just thinking about it.

We're going to find the tiara that matches her crystals on her gown through either e-bay or at a Bridal consignment shop in Glastonbury. Both her maid of honor and I are trying to tell her to save her money for her honeymoon, not something she's only gonna wear for one day. The tiara that matches her dress was $189!!!! Not sure how much the veil was. But between the three of us, Amy WILL get what she wants.

ramanth
10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
That dress is stunning!!! Congrats to her! :cool: :love: