PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't sure where to post?**Photos Attached**

heidiv
10-04-2009, 12:18 AM
We had recently lost our snowshoe Chloe from FIP so my husband and I decided to start looking and found a bluepoint snowshoe Siamese that I think?? We are going to name Nikki...

Only problem is she is TERRIFIED of humans...She has had very little exposure to humans so this whole riding in a car for 3 hours then getting put into a strange house with no one you know is terrifying this little girl...Almost to the point of holding her urine all day till I put her in the little box...:eek::eek:

I really need help from all you rescue guru's on how to get this little beauty out of her shell....She is darling and I really think she will make a wonderful kitty with a little time??? This is something we signed up for and are more than willing to work with her... I just need a little advice??? I started to hand feed her the really smelly fishy food from the can tonight and she would eat it gently right from my hand....So she isn't mean by any means....We are both already head over heels in love with her we just don't want her suffering cause she is terrified by us??? Any ideas on how to work her out of her beautiful shell???

Thanks again you guys are life savers....

Karen
10-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Time and patience, time and patience. Don't try to rush her. Just, as much as you can, sit in the room she's in, and let her approach you. As tempting as it is to want to fuss over her, you can't right now, let her feel comfortable, and get used to her new surroundings.

You will, after all, be the bringer of all good things, and let her see you bringing food, etc. Time and patience - it will all be rewarded in time.

Medusa
10-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Aw, she'll come around. Just let her have the run of the house for a while to get accustomed to her new surroundings. She'll sniff out everything and learn where things are and before you know it, she'll be right at home. I'm sure that the 3 hour car ride had a lot to do w/her nervousness. She'll learn your voices and their tones, too, and one day she'll come when you call her, just you wait and see. Congrats on your new furchild. Can't wait to see pix. :)

moosmom
10-04-2009, 07:34 AM
What Karen said is right. Time and patience are the key. This little girl sounds like she might be semi-feral, or even feral.

How old is she? Put her in a quiet room with a litterbox, food and water along with a night light and possibly a radio with classical music playing. Go in with treats (she'll most likely hide) and sit on the floor, gently tossing them to her from where you are. You need to get down to her level. Cats feel threatened (especially ferals or semi-feral) when they come upon a human standing up. When you are down on their level, it's less threatening. Slowing blink at the kitty, which will let her know that you aren't a threat. Keep tossing the treats, avoiding any sudden movements. If she comes out while you're there, just allow her to come out on her own terms, gently talking to her.

I'm so glad you're taking this precious baby in. I'm sure there are other guru's here that can add some wonderful, helpful advice.

Good luck!!

columbine
10-04-2009, 10:09 AM
When I first adopted Smudge (after he'd lived 9 years in another house), there were days I didn't see him at all. I don't think he was scared, just sad, or maybe shellshocked. But he ate his food and used his litterbox, and in his own time he came out from wherever he'd been hiding, and now I always have to watch where I walk because he's often sprawled in the middle of the floor or trotting up to get pets & skritchies.

Cats don't like upheaval. Once she gets used to her new home, she'll be fine!

Love, Columbine

Laura's Babies
10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Put her in a quiet room with a litterbox, food and water along with a night light and possibly a radio with classical music playing. .

That is exactly what I was going to suggest, just have it playing softly. That is what I did with the feral we had trapped. I sat in the room with them a lot, they were caged. I would sit in there for hours talking to them, softly, sometimes singing to them.

I had a neighbor that use to come over and help me and several times a day, we would take them out of the cage in a pillow case (this was early into it). This was just to get them use to being handled. In the beginning of this stage, we would leave them closed into the pillow case and worked into having their heads out but the PC tightly around everything else. These were feral without having any humans contact before this. We would just sit quietly and hold them, pet them and talk to them in the pillow case.

Once they got use to me, I would bring the cage in the living room for short times in the beginning and worked up to longer periods of time. I have other cats so I let them get use to each other and I would sit by their cage where they could see me and hold, pet, talk to my other ones and then I would play with mine. They eventually wanted to participate in playing too. Once use to seeing my interaction with my other cats and more and more use to all this newness.. I would put a lease on them and let them out to participate in playing (one at a time), never letting them wander far from the cage..

It is a slow process and you do have to go at their pace but in the end, the pay off is wonderful! Good luck with your new baby and I can't wait to see pictures!

catmandu
10-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Handsome John Hancock , Miquelito My Little Orange Lion, Pouncierge La Purrfecta , And My Precious the Purrfect were all absolutley terrified of me when they first moved in!!
:eek::eek::eek:
But when love , patience and peace and quiet Your Nikki will sense that you love her, and there will come a Wonderful Moment when Nikki will come forwrd to be Your Special Friend!!
:love::love::love:
Those are the moments You will treasure Furr-Ever!!
:love::love::love::love:

jenluckenbach
10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I would set her up in a room of her own. First, it is less overwhelming than an whole house. Also, you will KNOW where she is!! And you can monitor her eating.

Next, just spend quiet time with her. I find sitting on the floor, sometimes even laying on the floor, is the least threatening to the cat.

Feeding her by hand is a great way to gain her trust.

Simply doing something in her room, without trying to approach her, helps her by allowing her to watch and listen to you.

Don't be afraid of set backs, they will happen. I find that the "recovery"time after each "scary incident" will lessen, over time.

Just LOVE her, she will, in time, love you back.

moosmom
10-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Great ideas guys!!! I used a bath towel to "papoose" them with only their head exposed. I would gently pet their heads, talking to them and telling them how much I loved them. The most rewarding thing about socializing a feral is when you get a purr outta them. There's nothing else like it!!! But patience is very important.

Please keep us updated.

heidiv
10-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I sorta had a milestone today....I was hand feeding her because I think she has a much bigger appetite than she is eating because when I hand feed her she just scarfs that food down... After I was able to get all of her food down today I was starting to see signs of trust in her eyes and its the most wonderful feeling... Well after I fed her I was able to place her in my lap with a towel over her. So she felt secure... and I started...to rub her face like a momma cat would do (this technique was the ONLY way I could get my orange boy to calm down when he was little) and we thought she had a sweet little soft purr....She has a Hemi motor when I did that!!:eek::eek:
So I think she might be responding to the little things we are trying to do with her....We are also leaving the TV on for her when we are not in the room on a very low volume but some noise so she can get use to household noise. She is so sweet I can just tell that she is going to be a wonderful kitty!!

Just wondering she is so scared to use even the litter box until we put her into it?? Will her natural instinct kick in when she has to go or could she get sick from not going?? Right now that is probably my biggest fear?

Thanks for everything...I love being part of the forum because you guys are so much help!!!

rg_girlca
10-04-2009, 01:15 PM
First off, I just want to say how very sorry I am to hear on the loss of your beautiful girl Chloe. I didn't know. I hate to admit it, but out of your crew, she was my favorite.
Rest in Peace dear Chloe, you were so loved and will never be forgotten.

Secondly, you have gotten some wonderful advice from everyone and don't worry about her not using the litter box on her own right now. Practically every rescue I have brought into the house, took anywhere from 2-3 days before they used the litter box. It's good that she does use it when you put her in there and before you know it, she will use it on her own.

It took my foster feral kittens less than 2 weeks to come out of their shell, and from what you just wrote, it sounds like Nikki will take less time.

Good luck with her and pleeeeaaassseeee, can we see some pictures of her.:D

jenluckenbach
10-04-2009, 04:19 PM
As for the litter box.....maybe she needs it to be in a different location. Place it near to a favorite hiding spot. For example, if she likes the under of a bed, place it next to or UNDER the bed with her. Make it as convenient as possible for her.

Laura's Babies
10-04-2009, 06:06 PM
You sound to me like you know what you are doing and have the situation under hand if you got her to purr.. That is GREAT!

I found this.. This is one we had in the pillow case..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM1250.jpg

and let out to play
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/HPIM1297.jpg

cassiesmom
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Awww, welcome, new kitty girl! Paws and fingers crossed that it will all go fine!

heidiv
10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks everyone as you wished here are a couple of Fearful photos that we were able to take of her.....I hope you enjoy....She is WONDERFUL....She reminds me of my Paris except she has a mask like our little Chloe...We still miss her so very much and honestly Chloe was the sweetest most wonderful kitty that we have ever had she left a GIGANTIC hole when she left us for the bridge...We just hope Nikki comes out of her shell....Which at this point I am pretty confident she will....So here are some photos of her....We will get better ones once she is more comfortable...

jenluckenbach
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
She is beautiful! :love:

blue
10-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I dont have any advice but Im sure with time and patience, she will settle in and be a loving little kitteh. She is beautifull.

kitten645
10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh my she is a beauty! Kisses to her. Don't be afraid wee one. You lucked out BIG TIME! Your furfamily will love you furever:love: No need to fear anymore angel baby!
PTers are the greatest! :love: Everyone just jumping in with help and encouragement. How can she NOT be a fantastic baby with all these positive vibes?
Blessings to all.
Claudia

Catty1
10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Aw what a sweet face! :love: Please save up a bunch of head smoochies from me to her when she is ready for them!

Hemi-motor purr! Sounds GREAT!:D

katladyd
10-05-2009, 01:18 AM
She is a very beautiful cat and I'm sure she will do just fine with all the love you will give her.

aTailOf2Kitties
10-05-2009, 07:10 AM
such a pretty girl:love: Hope she comes out of her shell soon. Neither of my snowshoe boys are particularly lovey-dovey but they're not shy either.

GILL
10-05-2009, 07:36 AM
What a sweety, time and love will win.

Husky_mom
10-05-2009, 09:24 AM
gorgeous kitty.. and thing seem to be making progress.. keep up the good work.. sheŽll be out of her shell in no time

heidiv
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
First off, I just want to say how very sorry I am to hear on the loss of your beautiful girl Chloe. I didn't know. I hate to admit it, but out of your crew, she was my favorite.
Rest in Peace dear Chloe, you were so loved and will never be forgotten.

Chloe was very special to us...We miss her dearly...She reminded me of your Nugget...I have say he is my fave!!;) She was finally diagnosed with FIP after all of the time and money was spend trying to keep her alive... FIP was aweful and I only hope we never have to deal with that again with one of the others.. Especially Paris due to her being an asian breed they say they are a little more prone to that I guess?? She spent the most time with Chloe while she was sick...And me when we had to deal with the loss of dear Chloe...Paris was always there... My husband took it the hardest since siamese tend to stick to one human Chloe :love:LOVED :love: him with all she had and she fought a really tough battle she will truely be missed...We are hoping with Nikki that we are able to get her to be the :love: kitty of my hubby he misses Chloe so bad...He has already found that Nikki is already trusting him a little bit more each day. So he spends a tremendous amount of time alone with her....

Thanks for all the advice all of the ideas has help a ton!! Thank You!!

phesina
10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
How sweet! What a lovely girl, and what a wonderful story. Thank you for giving Nikki her new home and new life. Time and love are already bringing her out of her fear.

My deepest sympathy to you on the loss of your dear Chloe. Rest in peace, beautiful girl, you are loved so much.

cassiesmom
10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Awwww, hello there, Nikki! What a cute, sweet face you have! When you are all ready to come out of your hidey spot, your mom is going to give you one of these from me: *kiss* Thank you for peeking out and letting mom take your picture! I hope you have a very long, happy life together! And just one more: *kiss*

Vermontcat
10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Nikki is just adorable!:D
I look forward to seeing lots more photos of her as she gets more comfortable in your home.:)

Anikaca77
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Nikki is very beautiful.

We've had several scared cats in our place, the most recent one was Ozzy. We kept him in the bathroom for a little while to get him used to sounds and our Little Man Hermes loves to go into the bathroom with us so we would let him go in and we would show Ozzy how much Hermes loves to be petted.

Then after a while we would open up the bathroom door and let him come out on his own. That worked pretty well plus it gave our guys a chance to meet him and for him to come out at his own pace.

Now with doing that we had to work with him and I would tell him over and over that it's ok when I was coming near him and alot of times I would tell him to stay and that it was ok. He still gets scared from time to time with new people but he's doing so well now and he loves the attention.

Everyone else gave you great advice and just take time with her and she will come around. Each cat is different.

Take care and she is just gorgeous.

Melissa