PDA

View Full Version : CBS employee charged with Letterman extortion plot

Catty1
10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
http://ca.tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv-news.en.ap.org/tv-news.en.ap.org-20091002-us_tv_letterman_extortion

CBS employee charged with Letterman extortion plot
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer 1 hour and 16 minutes ago

A CBS News employee has been indicted in an extortion plot against David Letterman, who acknowledged sexual relationships with female staffers on his show after the man tried to blackmail him for $2 million, the Manhattan district attorney said Friday.

Robert J. "Joe" Halderman, a producer for the true-crime show "48 Hours," was arrested Thursday and indicted on one count of attempted first-degree grand larceny, punishable by five to 15 years upon conviction, District Attorney Robert Morgenthau said.

"Our concern here is extortion, and that's what we're focusing on," Morgenthau said.

Documents filed in Stamford Superior Court in Connecticut show that Halderman, of Norwalk, was required to pay nearly $6,000 a month in child and spousal support to his ex-wife. Prosecutors declined to say whether Halderman had financial problems or other motives.

He was due to be arraigned later Friday. His lawyer, Gerald Shargel, didn't immediately return a telephone call Friday.

The district attorney's office said Halderman left a letter and other material for Letterman early Sept. 9. He wrote that he needed "to make a large chunk of money" by selling Letterman a screenplay treatment — an entertainment-business term for a synopsis used to pitch a screenplay.

The supposed treatment said Letterman's world would "collapse around him" when information about his private life was disclosed, leading to "a ruined reputation" and damaging his professional and family life, prosecutors said. The also mentioned Letterman's "beautiful and loving son," prosecutors said.

It wasn't clear whether the reference was meant as a threat to harm the boy. Letterman was the victim of a 2005 plot by a former painter at his Montana ranch to kidnap his nanny and son for a ransom.

After receiving the materials, Letterman immediately contacted his lawyer, who arranged a meeting with Halderman. At the meeting, Halderman demanded $2 million to keep the material secret, the district attorney's office said. After the meeting, Letterman and his lawyer contacted the DA's office and the investigation began.

In an extraordinary monologue before millions of viewers, the late-night host admitted that he had sexual relationships with female employees. Letterman said that "this whole thing has been quite scary," but he mixed in jokes while outlining what had happened to him.

It was a shock because the 62-year-old Letterman had married longtime girlfriend Regina Lasko in March. The couple began dating in 1986 and have a son, Harry, born in November 2003. It was not immediately clear when the relationships to which Letterman admitted took place, or how long they lasted.

Fatherhood and his heart surgery in 2000 had seemed to mellow Letterman, who took over as the most popular late-night comedy host this summer after NBC replaced Jay Leno with Conan O'Brien on the "Tonight" show.

Letterman sat behind his desk to outline the scheme after a monologue that targeted some frequent foils like Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney.

Three weeks ago, Letterman said, he got in his car early in the morning and found a package with a letter saying, "I know that you do some terrible, terrible things and that I can prove that you do some terrible things." He acknowledged the letter contained proof.

He said it was terrifying "because there's something insidious about (it). Is he standing down there? Is he hiding under the car? Am I going to get a tap on the shoulder?"

A law enforcement official told The Associated Press that the district attorney's office set up the undercover sting operation at the swank Jumeirah Essex House hotel in Manhattan. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation continues.

Police detectives were in an adjoining room with recording equipment and surveillance as Letterman's attorney met with Halderman and discussed terms of the extortion, the official said.

"At one point he told the attorney that he didn't want to have to work for the rest of his life, and the number he came up with was $2 million," the law enforcement official said.

There were two subsequent meetings, with the man given a phony $2 million check at the last one. Letterman joked on his show it was like the giant ceremonial check given to winners of golf tournaments.

He told the audience that he had to testify before a grand jury on Thursday.

"I was worried for myself; I was worried for my family," he said. "I felt menaced by this, and I had to tell them all of the creepy things that I had done."

He said, "The creepy stuff was that I have had sex with women who work for me on this show. My response to that is yes, I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Yes, it would, especially for the women."

Whether they wanted to make the relationships public was up to them, he said.

"It's been a very bizarre experience," he said. "I felt like I needed to protect these people. I need to protect my family. I need to protect myself. Hope to protect my job."

CBS said in a statement that "we believe his comments speak for themselves."

Letterman's "Late Show" has been on the air since 1993. Before that, "Late Night with David Letterman" aired on NBC from 1982 to 1993.

Letterman won't be taping a show Friday. Friday night's show was taped Thursday.

The 2005 kidnapping plot was carried out by a former painter on Letterman's ranch and sought a $5 million ransom. The former painter, Kelly A. Frank, briefly escaped from prison in 2007 before being recaptured.

___

Associated Press writers Colleen Long and Jennifer Peltz and AP Television Writer Lynn Elber contributed to this report.

Daisy and Delilah
10-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I was pretty surprised to hear this story. I hate to sound naive but, David Letterman? I just didn't think he was this type of person, especially since he had a long time girlfriend and she's now his wife.
Ahhhh......we just don't know people do we? :confused:

Grace
10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I think Letterman was wrong in what he did - the affairs(s). But I give him lots of credit for exposing this creep. It takes guts to out yourself in a situation like this.

Catty1
10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
As one person said (paraphrase): 'What Dave did is bad; extortion is evil.'

Here is the clip from the show on October 1st (taped for Friday night):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pP8C-BPC5E&feature=player_embedded#

Haldeman has pleaded not guilty. Of the three meetings held with David, his lawyer, and Haldeman, the last two were taped.

Innocence may be difficult to prove.

The woman allegedly at the centre of the extortion scandal, Stephanie Birkett, lived with Haldeman at one time, and worked on both 48 Hours and Late Night. She found news stuff a bit 'heavy' and moved over to Late Night.

Apparently this happened before Dave was married/dating.

happylabs
10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I think Letterman was wrong in what he did - the affairs(s). But I give him lots of credit for exposing this creep. It takes guts to out yourself in a situation like this.

I didn't see where it actually told when this happened. It may very well have happened before Letterman was married. I agree that he had guts to tell his story on his show like that. I enjoy his show when I can stay up that late.

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Poor Dave, he's a victim....

I wonder how many of his 'friends' turned out to be victims themselves?

Top ten reasons not to date women who work on your show.

10. A comedy bit about black mail attempts really isn't that funny.

9. Sarah Palin's daughter is laughing at you now.

8. No one can keep a secret!!!

7. Your illegitimate kid will hear about this soon.

6. Sarah Palin is laughing at you.

5. Fake two million dollar checks get people in trouble.

4. The couch isn't a cozy as you thought.

3. Karma isn't just a concept, It's a biatch when she shows up in your life.

2. You have to explain 'things' to your wife.

1. The whole Palin family is laughing at you.

I hate paul schaeffer so.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0jfYacp-r4

Catty1
10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Trivia bit here: Paul Schaeffer is from Thunder Bay, Ontario!

Loved the Top Ten list, RICHARD. But I admire Dave for nipping a lot of the flack in the bud, so to speak, by telling it up front. :p;)

http://www.canada.com/Letterman+alleged+blackmailer+arrested/2060132/story.html

Late Show staffer Stephanie Birkitt...reportedly dated Halderman, the alleged blackmailer, and told Halderman of a relationship she had with Letterman prior to his marriage to Lasko. Birkitt is reportedly "mortified" that her ex-boyfriend allegedly used that information to blackmail Letterman.

So Dave was dating his wife-to-be at the time. As reported, they married last March.

Birkitt, a 1997 graduate of Wake Forest University, interned in the writers' department at the "Late Show" in 1996.

Pam
10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Richard you are funnier than David Letterman ever was. :p I have tried to watch his show and it has left me cold. He just isn't funny IMHO and I have wondered how he got where he is today. On those nights when I was able to stay up late, Jay Leno was who I would watch. Now I get to see him earlier these days. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 04:39 PM
The things I learn on PetTalk!

Crime is funny if you don't like the person against whom the crime is committed.

Incest is disgusting unless you don't like the child - in which case it is just to "cash in."

It is funny to call a child illegitimate even if the parents later marry - if you don't like the person.

But you do not call a child illegitimate if you approve of the politics of the parents or grandparents.

White male politicians who are accused of ethical violations are "forgiven." Black female politicians who are accused of ethical violations will "be taken care of."

Very sad indeed!

lizbud
10-02-2009, 05:06 PM

If these affairs happened after his marriage this year, I would be
concerned about his character. (does anyone know when this happened? )

I love him as a comic. Nobody is better, than Dave with witty comments
on his show.

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 05:11 PM
lol, This effer has a show and a 'comedic wit' that will get him out of hot water..

If I was banging around wtih people at work, I would get it both barrels and the Keyboard Cat would play me off.

He's just a rich moron that can hire better lawyers than I can.

moosmom
10-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm glad David came clean. It certainly made him humble. And I'm glad that they arrested that extortionist and suspended him at CBS. I'm not a big fan of David Letterman, but I do give him alot of credit for coming clean on his show. It shows a different side of him I've never seen before, and it made me respect him even more.

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh come on. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Such righteous indignation!

If everyone who fooled around with co-workers was fired the US economy would come to a screeching halt.

Trust me...highly paid - poorly paid - men - women and everything in between.

I have seen nothing to suggest sexual harassment. On the contrary - the woman - who had also dated and lived with the blackmailer is said to be very embarrassed by the whole thing.

It would be interesting to know how many people met their partner at work? Or dated someone with whom they worked?

Show of hands please?

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Speaking of righteous hypocrisy....:D:D:D

Anybody remember this from - not even 30 days ago?

I love the shock and awe of people getting caught living outside the boundaries of Holy Matrimony.
He's a Republican and he didn't go to another country to have his flings.

SHOP AMERICAN!

I forgive him.

Interesting, isn't it? A guy banging the help who is forgiven?

Shock and awe indeed!

moosmom
10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
*raises hand* Wasted 4 years of my life.

Grace
10-02-2009, 05:52 PM
If these affairs happened after his marriage this year, I would be
concerned about his character. (does anyone know when this happened? )

I love him as a comic. Nobody is better, than Dave with witty comments
on his show.

Catty's post above, says it happened before his marriage.

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 06:15 PM
lol, If hge didn't respect his "long time companion" before he was married what could that say about his marriage now?

If a man came to you and told you that he had an affair BEFORE he married you, but while you were together, what would your reaction be?

Aw, ya forgive him and then go check out what the prenuptial agreement says.

Yeah, he nipped it in the bud, had he kept it tucked in to his pants?:o

He wouldn't have to sound like a whining beeyotch, trying to make people laugh about his misfortune and the sad fact that he has to live this one down.

For example.

Someone's kid gets pregnant and you make jokes about the parenting, the girl and the whole pregnancy. Then, you come out and have to apologize for something stupid with your very own reproductive organs.

Let's talk about morals now?

Please, the only difference is that you could afford a room in a hotel and poor Bristol Palin got knocked up in the front seat of the Toyota?

Men are pigs and AHs and we welcome the chance to get away with freebie.

-------------------------

David,
Some people use a method of forgiving themselves where they write down their sins and shortcomings on a sheet of paper, then burn the list.

Grab a piece of paper and a sharp No. 2 pencil and jab the pencil in your forehead and use the paper to clean up the mess.......:rolleyes::eek:

------------------

"I have to protect my family!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

lizbud
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
WOO, are you ever jealous.;) Wouldn't be because he is rich,famous
with a fabulous job & admired by his fans, would it? LOL :D

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Liz...you forgot intelligent and funny!!

Although here is something very funny that our intrepid poster said....

Someone's kid gets pregnant and you make jokes about the parenting, the girl and the whole pregnancy. Then, you come out and have to apologize for something stupid with your very own reproductive organs.

I assume he is talking about Bill O'Reilly? You know the guy who trashed the parents of Brittany Spears on his t.v. show for being "bad parents" and was also accused of sexual harassment by one of his employees? And settled with her.

Oh wait...O'Reilly doesn't make jokes....he is just nasty....:rolleyes: And he never apologized - except with his pocketbook (and probably expensed it....:rolleyes:) Loofah anyone? :D:D:D

Oh...oh....and this is really funny. Do you know what O'Reilly said after he paid the woman millions of dollars?

Yup...he said he paid the money...to protect his family!!!!!! Let's see...a bunch of LOLOLOLOLOL goes here, right?

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 07:26 PM

It has more to do with being a standup guy.:eek:

There is a thing called shame that really factors in to my feelings.

Let's try it this way?

"I was having sex with my staff..."

You effing cretin. He doesn't even have the brains to phrase a little more delicately? I could see a gal who slept with him hearing she was just a 'sex staffer'?

Coime on, who wants to get involved with the star of the show, then hear it was all about whoopee? That's no respect..

Listen to how the 'creepy guy' found out about his affair..

-------------

When I screw up it ain't all over the news...;):D

lizbud
10-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Liz...you forgot intelligent and funny!!

Although here is something very funny that our intrepid poster said....

I assume he is talking about Bill O'Reilly? You know the guy who trashed the parents of Brittany Spears on his t.v. show for being "bad parents" and was also accused of sexual harassment by one of his employees? And settled with her.

Oh wait...O'Reilly doesn't make jokes....he is just nasty....:rolleyes: And he never apologized - except with his pocketbook (and probably expensed it....:rolleyes:) Loofah anyone? :D:D:D

Oh...oh....and this is really funny. Do you know what O'Reilly said after he paid the woman millions of dollars?

Yup...he said he paid the money...to protect his family!!!!!! Let's see...a bunch of LOLOLOLOLOL goes here, right?

I didn't hear about O'Reillys affair, but I don't really follow his exploits.:p

lizbud
10-02-2009, 07:46 PM
It has more to do with being a standup guy.:eek:

There is a thing called shame that really factors in to my feelings.

Let's try it this way?

"I was having sex with my staff..."

You effing cretin. He doesn't even have the brains to phrase a little more delicately? I could see a gal who slept with him hearing she was just a 'sex staffer'?

Coime on, who wants to get involved with the star of the show, then hear it was all about whoopee? That's no respect..

Listen to how the 'creepy guy' found out about his affair..

-------------

When I screw up it ain't all over the news...;):D

Seems to me it wasn't Letterman who chose to talk about what happened
or didn't happen. The guy behind the blackmail letter did. I am glad Dave
didn't cave it to the threat.

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I didn't hear about O'Reillys affair, but I don't really follow his exploits.:p

Well...let me help you out...here's the settlement news...settlement (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7578-2004Oct28.html)

Here's the original complaint...complaint (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/13/entertainment/main649135.shtml)

Bill biggest problem seems to be a VERY bad ...shall we say "bedside manner!":D:D

Oh...and here is what he said about the parents of Brittany Spears...

On the pinhead front, 16-year-old Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant. The sister of Britney says she is shocked. I bet.

Now most teens are pinheads in some ways. But here the blame falls primarily on the parents of the girl, who obviously have little control over her or even over Britney Spears. Look at the way she behaves.

And by the way, the mother, Lynne Spears, has reportedly already sold pictures of the upcoming baby of her 16-year-old for a million bucks. Incredible pinhead.
December 20, 2007

( I wonder how much Sarah Palin was paid for putting her daughter and grandson on the cover of People...in her graduation gown....:rolleyes:)

Catty1
10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I thought RICHARD was referring to what Letterman said about Sarah Palin's daughter...which created quite a kafuffle.

No one is excusing Letterman here, RICHARD - just noting that there was an attempt at extortion. Extortion is nothing great either.

Even after the guy got his "cheque", he still said he might do the book and movie. Remember - this would be a slap at his previous girlfriend as well. But it's ok for him to embarrass HER?

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I thought RICHARD was referring to what Letterman said about Sarah Palin's daughter...which created quite a kafuffle.

No one is excusing Letterman here, RICHARD - just noting that there was an attempt at extortion. Extortion is nothing great either.

Had he conducted himself like a gentleman he would never have had to tried to make an awkward apology/statement in front of a whole studio of people laughing at him.

Having sat in the street, on the curb thinking about "what might have been..." a few times myself?

If you behavbe yourself in the beginning?

You don't have to worry later on?

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I Remember - this would be a slap at his previous girlfriend as well. But it's ok for him to embarrass HER?

Of course it is!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm still thinking he is talking about Bill O'Reilly though.

Who did not conduct himself as a gentleman...while sexually harassing an employee or after he was accused.

If he had he might not have had to pay MILLIONS of dollars to his victim.

Catty1
10-02-2009, 08:45 PM
They also applauded in all the right places. And laughing in the wrong places. Even Letterman asked, "Why do you think this is funny?" Nervous laughter?

He's not the first to have affairs at work, and he sure won't be the last.

The point is - was it right for the accused to attempt extortion? Is he good and Letterman bad? The accused could have gone after a LOT of people among his work colleagues.

It's reported that the accused said in one of the meetings with Letterman and his lawyer that he 'didn't want to work for the rest of his life'. It was also reported that he has to pay his ex-wife some $6,000 a month. Some folks think he snapped.

More here: http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/prosecutors-threats-against-letterman-were-taped-1.1496526

(NB: this article claims Letterman found Haldeman lurking outside his home. Letterman's version - and most reported versions - say he found the package in the back seat of his car.)

RICHARD
10-02-2009, 10:09 PM
They also applauded in all the right places. And laughing in the wrong places. Even Letterman asked, "Why do you think this is funny?" Nervous laughter?

My point exactly!

If you were really sorry?

You'd send out your agent to say you would do a press conference or release a statement later on.

No,
He has to do it as part of his schtick.:eek: So, he acts like an idiot while confessing his 'sins' and the idea that some one wants to black mail him....

And he wants us to pay attention?

He invited the audience into the studio and expected to confess as part of a
segment on a comedy show?

Nope.

I just can't do it..

Catty1
10-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I think he chose the best venue that would reach most of the people he wanted and needed to reach - his show. He was also clear about moving on.

As for the press - this will get all played out during the court proceedings once they get underway.

I think he WAS being more serious than his audience was willing to accept...Letterman audiences are ready to laugh...and that's what they fall back on first.

They sure all shut up with a single gasp when he mentioned "two million dollars."

Edwina's Secretary
10-02-2009, 11:20 PM
My point exactly!

If you were really sorry?

You'd send out your agent to say you would do a press conference or release a statement later on.

When did Bill O'Reilly say he was sorry? Or Duvall. Or Ensign.

How on EARTH would you know how to announce it. For pity sake. Get real.

blue
10-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Why would Mes Palin get paid anything for Bristol being on the cover of a magazine? Bristol was 18 at the time, she would have gotten the money, at the urging of her DBag babydaddy.

Catty1
10-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Let's not overlook Halderman. Assuming he did what he did - did he do a good thing????

It's fine to pick on the participants here, but's let not leave out the alleged extortionist! :D

One more thought on why I think it was better for Letterman to tell his story on his show rather than hold a press conference:

The press have space and time limits. We would have been subjected to sound bites and (biased) editing. Even if Letterman's entire statement appeared in all print media, it would be hard to sense whether he was serious or not.

With him saying it on his show, viewers got the whole meal deal...and with it viral on YouTube, others did as well.

Edwina's Secretary
10-04-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm working on my "Top ten differences between Letterman and O'Reilly." The last one will be....
"when Letterman made a pass he got lucky...when O'Reilly made a pass - he got sued..."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

sasvermont
10-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I can't wait to hear the other side's defense. As the stomach turns. Can you just smell "book deal" .... ???!!!

If Halderman is broke financially, and has moved out of his house, how can he afford an expensive, top notch attorney? Again, book deal? The proceeds would be substantial. I suspect Halderman will not need a ghostwriter or co-author.

How do the state/federal laws deal with allowing inmates to author books while in the slammer?

I see nothing good coming out of this mess. Halderman's family must be horrified. What a way to try to earn $2M.

I could care less who is sleeping with whom, especially within the entertainment world.

Another day, another scandal. :rolleyes:

Catty1
10-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Whole article here:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/10/04/2009-10-04_untitled__4dave04m.html

Excerpt:

An ex-"Late Show" intern unmasked herself Saturday as one of David Letterman's former flings - and sources revealed the randy funnyman keeps a bachelor pad atop the Ed Sullivan Theater.

"I was madly in love with him at the time," said Holly Hester. "I would have married him. He was hilarious."

The NYU alum, who it appears went on to become a top Hollywood producer, told TMZ.com that the relationship started in the early '90s when Letterman called and asked her on a date to the movies.

Interesting how a guy at the residence yelled at the reporters to EFF off...because "we're being offered a lot of money for this s***." Doesn't want to protect his wife or anything. Is he any better than Halderman?

Catty1
10-04-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/top-10-reasons-why-david-letterman-will-survive-his-sex-scandal/article1310953/

Top 10 Reasons why David Letterman will Survive his Sex Scandal

SIMON HOUPT AND ANDREW RYAN

From Saturday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Saturday, Oct. 03, 2009 03:32AM EDT

The late-night talk-show host revealed Thursday night that he was the victim of an extortion attempt threatening to expose his affair with one or more Late Show female staffers. But Mr. Letterman's career isn't headed for the gutter.

10 This is the best-ever Stupid Human Trick

As an investigative producer for CBS News, Mr. Letterman's alleged extortionist, Robert (Joe) Halderman, is intimately familiar with crime and punishment, yet when it came to the blackmail payout, he asked for a $2-million personal cheque, prosecutors say, one of the most traceable forms of currency in the world.

9 He's no Eliot Spitzer

When the one-time New York governor admitted his serial infidelity last year, he did so on a Monday, allowing the story to build through the weekly news cycle. But in discussing his own sins with viewers on a Thursday night, Mr. Letterman got his side of the story out just before the weekend, drastically reducing the number of reporters who will be chasing the story for the next two days.

8 He's the Tylenol of Late-Night Hosts

Experts say Mr. Letterman's mea culpa was textbook crisis management, allowing him to save both his own brand and that of CBS. "He was open, honest, forthright and transparent," said Harlan Loeb, head of the U.S. crisis management branch of public relations company Edelman. "From a reputational perspective, he had a fiduciary duty to CBS, and he made a clear effort to align his remarks with the enterprise risk he created for the company."

7 If the scandal continues, the world economy won't survive

Office workers across North America hit Twitter, Facebook and other social-networking sites yesterday to discuss the scandal, crippling productivity just as the United States announced another 263,000 lost jobs last month. Sure the scandal is good for tabloids, but you can't sell 'em if nobody's got the money to buy 'em.

6 He has friends in high places

If coverage of the affair turns ugly, his pals will rally to his side. Among his closest showbiz buddies: Don Rickles, Billy Crystal, Madonna and, yes, Oprah. The lead guest on Monday's Late Show is Steve Martin, who will undoubtedly help him defuse the situation. And if all else fails, he has the undying support of possibly the most influential man in TV today: Regis Philbin.

5 X ratings make the best ratings

Since the launch of the new TV season in mid-September, Mr. Letterman has steadily bested his late-night competitor, The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, in Nielsen audience ratings, averaging five million viewers during the first week. Mr. O'Brien, meanwhile, is averaging 2½ million. If anything, Monday night's show will likely push Mr. Letterman's numbers past the seven million mark he reached for his mid-September broadcast with U.S. President Barack Obama.

4 Ketchup

Because it goes with everything.

3 Folksy humour makes scandals seem innocent

In making his Thursday-night confession, even Mr. Late Night seemed surprised by the audience response. "Why are you laughing?" he asked his studio audience after revealing details of his "creepy" affairs. He also got big laughs when he said: "If you know anything about me, I am just a towering mass of Lutheran Midwestern guilt."

2 Late-night viewers are more forgiving, or at least sleepier

Remember Hugh Grant? In July, 1995, the British actor chose The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as his first public appearance after his arrest for soliciting a street prostitute in Los Angeles. "What were you thinking?" asked Mr. Leno. Tonight Show ratings soared and Mr. Grant's career resumed (more or less).

1 Come to think of it,

what exactly did he do wrong?

Mr. Letterman's admitted to having an affair with co-workers, and apparently before his marriage to long-time girlfriend Regina Lasko last March. "If it was a consensual relationship, he's not in trouble for sexual harassment," said lawyer Deborah Katz on CNN yesterday. "Poor judgment, undoubtedly, but not legal trouble."

Catty1
10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Kinda insteresting, akshully

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/toplists/lettermans_late_show_body_language/lettermans_late_show_body_language.html

Letterman's 'Late Show' body language

Published: 10/03/2009 04:00:00

BY NICOLE LYN PESCE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

David Letterman's shame and fear were on full display during his televised confession - if you looked closely enough.

Body language experts who analyzed the mea culpa said Letterman did a masterful job of manipulating his tittering audience.

But a series of nervous tics broadcast his discomfort at being unmasked as a philanderer.

The giveaways included:

Too much blinking
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/03/tl_letterman_blink.jpg
"What's normal on TV is between 30 and 50 blinks per minute. ... He was at 60 blinks per minute when he said, 'I have had sex with women who worked for me on this show,' so that's high," said Joseph Tecce, a psychology professor at Boston College. "But he's saying something painful, so that's to be expected, because fast blinking indicates negative feelings."

Tecce said Letterman also became uncharacteristically camera-shy. "He looked down and away a lot," Tecce said. "Gaze avoidance, not looking up at the camera, not looking at your audience, is a pretty accurate indicator of shame, guilt and embarrassment."

Fiddling with his pencil
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/03/tl_letterman_pensive.jpg
"That's a habitual thing, but it also provides a symbolic weapon. He used that to strike out as he was speaking about this man who blackmailed him," said Patti Wood, body language expert and author of "Success Signals."

"When he got to the statement 'unless I give him some money,' he put his hands up toward the audience, and in that second, he was emphasizing the fact that this was an absurd event."

Clasping his hands
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/03/tl_letterman_smirk.jpg
"When he would finish with a difficult statement, he would kind of bring his hands together and hold his own hand over his heart to protect himself and keep himself from being truly vulnerable," Wood explained.

The smirk
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/10/03/tl_letterman_shrug.jpg
"When he's talking about would it be embarrassing if he got caught, his eyebrow is raised dramatically, and he smirks - and that's an indication that he's asking for approval," said Gregory Hartley, author of the soon-to-be-released "Body Language Handbook."

"As soon as the audience starts to laugh, he knows it's okay. ...

"There's a part ... when he picks up his coffee mug after he gives his spiel with what happened, and he exhales, telling us he's thinking, 'Thank God that's over.'"

RICHARD
10-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Age difference = I had my fun you silly twit, lose my number.:D

Catty1
10-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Age difference = I had my fun you silly twit, lose my number.

Well, heck - I guess conversation at the breakfast table was lacking an intellectual partner.

Will leave it at that.... :p:D

RICHARD
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, heck - I guess conversation at the breakfast table was lacking an intellectual partner.

Will leave it at that.... :p:D

"You are too young for me. I'm an old man knocking boots with you.
Thanks, You are dismissed."

As a guy?

I'll have to remember that line should the need arise....:eek::rolleyes::confused:

blue
10-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah consenual sex is much worse then extortion or blackmail.

Medusa
10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Excuse my ignorance but exactly what is it that Letterman did that was "terrible, terrrible"? He had sex w/staff members, that's it? He had a girlfriend then, I get that, so what he did was smarmy and if he was my SO, I would dump him but "terrrible, terrible"? I don't know; it sounds as if perhaps Halderman had something else on Letterman. That doesn't excuse Halderman's attempted blackmail but it seems to me that Letterman could've said "Go ahead and spill the beans. I'm not paying you anything. My girlfriend already knows and the public won't care" unless he had something else to hide. I guess we'll find out during the trial.

Catty1
10-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Mary, the only thing I can think of is that Letterman had control over how the "beans" were spilled...who knows what Halderman would have done? He was talking a screenplay AND a book...and even after he got the cheque, was saying on his way out of the meeting that he might still do a movie.

Halderman sounds like he snapped...he had $40,000 credit card debt and $6,000 a month in child support. It was reported that in the first meeting with Letterman and the latter's attorney that he said he 'didn't want to work for the rest of his life'. It seems only an arrest would have stopped him from doing his own version of events.

I think the extortion attempt was far worse than anything Letterman did (for better or worse, just about 'everyone' does it).

Wait for the trial, that will be interesting.

sasvermont
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I saw an interview this AM - with Halderman's attorney. He didn't let any new information out during the interview and still stuck to his statement that there is much more to the story than what Letterman has had to say. Stay tuned.:confused:

Catty1
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Maybe I am a sick puppy, but there are some fairly clever Top 10 lists coming out now...here's another (though it's a bit more pointed than the first one I posted):

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/705142

10: PLAN YOUR LOCATION

An auditorium may be outside your budget, especially considering how broke you're going to be post-divorce. Forget doing this in a kitchen, restaurant or shed (too many stabbing implements about). Try the living room. I'm pretty sure you can survive a leap through the front window.

9: BRING AN AUDIENCE

Stop moping. You can make a night of it. Tell people that you're going to be hosting a Windows 7 House Party, but surprise guests with pointy hats that read: "Robert Admits His Indiscretions 2009." Your soon-to-be-ex will love it. And a half-dozen witnesses are a great hindrance to violence.

8: TELEVISE IT

Who ever got seriously hurt on TV? Well, Lee Harvey Oswald. But let's remember that he refused to confess. Totally his fault.

Be sure everyone involved is aware that all of this is being filmed. First reason: Safety. Second reason: Video evidence makes future depositions a snap.

7: MAKE THINGS FUN

Remember Dave's first words: "I have a little story. Do you want to hear a story?" Ooh, ooh, a story! Yes, please! What's it about?! Sordid hookups in the back seat of your Dodge Intrepid. Er. All right. But are there any fairy princesses? No, a dominatrix named Groovella doesn't count.

6: WRITE IT DOWN

Letterman referred several times to notes during his monologue. Now, you just want to bang away at talking points here: "Really sorry." "Remember how much we enjoyed being poor when we met?"

5: HIT YOUR KEY WORDS

"Creepy" sounds awful. At the outset, keep saying "creepy" over and over again, as Letterman did. Just when you've got her convinced that you have a secret human-ear collection, drop the good news on her: "Hey honey, I'm only sleeping with your sister."

4: ZINGERS

Self-deprecating humour is a wonderful way to misdirect towering, destructive rage. Try to plant a few jokes between the heartbreaking admissions. "And I said to your sister, if you think that's funny, wait until I take off my pants." Zing!

3: BRING A WINGMAN

Maybe you have a friend who can make reassuring sounds in the background, à la Paul Shaffer. When you mention how frightened you were of your blackmailing stalker, he will mumble, "My, my, my."

Later he may let you sleep in his garage.

2: THANK THE POLICE

Letterman gave shout-outs to every law enforcement officer currently at work in New York state. That sends one important message – I have not broken any civil laws.

1: QUASH FURTHER DISCUSSION

Like Letterman, your last words should be: "I don't plan on saying much more about this topic."

Medusa
10-05-2009, 11:20 AM
My point is that even though what Letterman did was sleazy, it wasn't illegal, so unless Halderman has knowledge of an illegal activity to hold over Letterman's head, I don't see why Letterman felt he needed to protect himself by doing a preemptive strike, so to speak.

Catty1
10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I think if the press had got hold of it first, they would report only bits and pieces (due to time and space restrictions).

Besides, his taped version will save time in court! :p:D

Video of Dave telling the show audience about his wedding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQBtZulOSc0
Keep watching through the commercial break...to hear about the truck getting stuck in mud...etc)

"Top Ten Reasons I got Married"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Ekx-Dcj3Y&feature=fvw

Edwina's Secretary
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I love the defense I heard his attorney give this morning. The blackmail was paid by check - $2 million. The attorney said never in the history of extortion has it been paid by check.

First question...how does he know that?
Second question - Doesn't that mean your client is an idiot in addition to a blackmailer?

Catty1
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Doesn't that mean your client is an idiot in addition to a blackmailer?

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/25.gif

Catty1
10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
This surprises who???? :rolleyes:

Letterman says wife 'horribly hurt' by sex scandal
http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=2069155
Reuters Published: Monday, October 05, 2009

Reuters Talk show host David Letterman apologized on-air on Monday to his wife and staff for his role in a sex scandal. A CBS producer, Robert Halderman, inset, has been charged for an extortion attempt.

NEW YORK -- Comedian David Letterman said on Monday his wife has been "horribly hurt" by revelations of his sexual affairs exposed in an extortion plot against him and he apologized to staff of his popular late-night talk show.

The host of Late Show with David Letterman said in the taping of his Monday show that he will try to patch things up with Regina, whom he married in March after dating for more than 20 years. The two have a 5-year-old son, Harry.

"She has been horribly hurt by my behavior, and when something happens like that, if you hurt a person and it's your responsibility, you try to fix it," Letterman told audiences, according to a statement from his company, Worldwide Pants.

"And at that point, there's only two things that can happen: either you're going to make some progress and get it fixed, or you're going to fall short and perhaps not get it fixed, so let me tell you folks, I got my work cut out for me."

He said he was "terribly sorry that I put the staff in that position. Inadvertently, I just wasn't thinking ahead ... my thanks to the staff for, once again, putting up with something stupid I've gotten myself involved in."

On Thursday, Letterman told audiences he had been victimized in an extortion plot by a man who threatened to write a screenplay or book about "all the terrible stuff" Letterman had done. The talk show host then admitted to having had sexual affairs with women employed by his show.

One day later, Robert "Joe" Halderman, a producer for CBS news program 48 Hours, was indicted on a charge of grand larceny for seeking $2-million in hush money from Letterman. Halderman faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

On Monday, Halderman's attorney Gerald Shargel took to U.S. morning talk shows to proclaim his client's innocence and say that Letterman's version of the story was only one side.

"David Letterman didn't give his (Halderman's) side of the story, David Letterman gave what he wanted the public to know," Shargel said on NBC's Today show.

"He wanted to get out ahead of the story, and that's exactly what he did," Shargel said of Letterman.

Shargel said it was unlikely that Halderman would have sought to extort Letterman by taking a $2-million cheque, because that is not how extortionists normally operate.

He declined to detail what may be his client's defense, but added that the veteran journalist has reported on crime stories for years. "He knows all about cops and wiretaps. And to suggest that he was trapped in an extortion plot is preposterous," the attorney said.

Shargel said he looked forward to questioning Letterman on the witness stand.

Court documents show Halderman owed an ex-wife $6,800 a month in child and spousal support, and authorities have said he is deep in debt.

© Thomson Reuters 2009

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=2069155#ixzz0T6sWxJEB

RICHARD
10-05-2009, 10:02 PM
NEW YORK -- Comedian David Letterman said on Monday his wife has been "horribly hurt" by revelations of his sexual affairs exposed in an extortion plot against him and he apologized to staff of his popular late-night talk show.

Top Ten reasons your life just got a little more difficult...

10.Your wife does not understand that YOU are the victim in the story.

9. You will beat Sarah Palin unto the pages of Playboy because you are a bigger "boob" than she is.

8. Your apology to the staff is geared toward the women you didn't sleep with.

7. You tell your writing staff, "No more sex jokes, I need to reform my image!".

6. You really never had an image.

5. Tripp Palin laughs at you and he's never seen your show!

4. You have to open up your secret apartment above the studio to the hired help.

3. The date on your "private sex life" expired on 10/01/09.

2. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, you can kick yourself in the arse a lot easier!

1. You didn't "poop where you ate", you were only "having sex where you worked"!

Again, this is my obsession/most fave video clip.....

Edwina's Secretary
10-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Too, too, too funny! The usual Law and Order posters now are suspicious that Letterman was unhappy about being blackmailed.

He must have "something to hide" or else why would he go to the police to report a crime.:D:D:D

Blame the victim....of incest, extortion, whatever....

Twisterdog
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Keep it in your pants and you won't have to worry about extortion in the first place, will you now?

I have no sympathy for him. He is a scumbag. Married means married. Period.

Catty1
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, no one here has really said anything about Halderman.

I guess what he did was totally ok? Tearing out a page from his ex-girlfriend's diary to put in the package he left in Dave's car?

Should he be a saint for causing Letterman to fess up?

Here's Dave's apology from last night:
http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?pid=t0lI8Ag_4dfZasp4VQ6tuoYPKCZerp7U&vs=Big%20Show%20Highlights&play=true

And his monologue...worth the 5 minutes...
http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/video/?pid=FzURctJnSbUmseitbSi6EFjNDJaOECiH

Grace
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Keep it in your pants and you won't have to worry about extortion in the first place, will you now?

I have no sympathy for him. He is a scumbag. Married means married. Period.

If you are referring to Letterman, he was not married when the encounters occurred.

pomtzu
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Geeze - I get so sick of hearing of all the politicians and "celebs" having affairs! Who the heck really cares?? :rolleyes: If the truth be known, probably about 75% of all of them do - and just don't get caught - so we never hear about it.

Isn't there anything more news worthy than who's zoomin' who, and who can't keep their pants zippered??? :eek::p:D

Medusa
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
zoomin'

Made me LOL. Just when I think I've heard all the expressions for you-know-what, I hear another one. And I agree w/you, btw. Who gives a fig about whom Letterman is sleeping with except for his wife or his girlfriend or both. :rolleyes: I really don't even care about the politicians' sex lives either except that, unlike celebrities, we have to put our trust in them. Even an indiscretion on their part doesn't bother me too much unless it's someone like Sanford who just disappeared and made up that ridiculous story. Celebrities, though? Who cares. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I have to call you all out on ths one.

THe encounters happened BEFORE he got married.

So, It's o.k. to have a fling when you are not married, but in a relationship?
Again,

If your husband admitted to having a fling while he was dating you, before you got married, you will have no problem with it what so ever?:eek::confused:

I'll have to remember to use my wit, charm and pair of puppy dog eyes to get out of the mess...

I can see me closing the door of my house for the last time and having the music playing in the back ground..

Edwina's Secretary
10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I have to call you on this one.

Ensign
Edwards
Stanford
Craig
Duvall*

All married and except for Edwards....I don't recall your moral outrage over their behavior???

In fact...you "forgave" Duvall.

Different standards?

Or different politics?:D:rolleyes::D

So amusing...

I've said it before - as long as it isn't me, my husband, a child, and is consentual - have sex with whomever you want. Not my business. But please...don't be a hypocrite!

*Duvall - former CA state politician who discussed the intimate details of his sexual activity with two lobbyist - into a live microphone.

RICHARD
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Top ten reasons that pre/extramarital sex will come back to haunt you??

10. Eliot Spitzer paid for sex and got caught!

9. The lesion on your groin matches the one your GF/wife has on her hip.

8. You may have to have that birds and bees talk when your son comes home from 6th grade crying.

7. Uma, Oprah, Uma, Oprah.....Names you'll never yell during that 'special moment'.

6. Wasilla looks like a place to buy vacation property.

5. You'll take your son to a WNBA game and he has sex with a player during half time.

4. Eliot Spitzer isn't laughing at you.....he's guffawing!

3. You realize that the bald headed guy playing keyboard is also kinda creepy.

2. "Love you honey" rings kinda hollow, when you say it?

1. 18 years dating the same woman does get old after a while. Add five of married life and all bets are off!

Catty1
10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
It is as absurd to say that a man can't love one woman all the time as it is to say that a violinist needs several violins to play the same piece of music.
- Honore de Balzac

Maybe it gets old for HER too, RICHARD???;)

RICHARD
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Maybe it gets old for HER too, RICHARD???;)

Get up and change the CD, dammit!

LOL, do I have to do a top ten for DL's Wife too?

Give me a hour or two.:D

Edwina's Secretary
10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Looks like the guy trying to blackmail Letterman is a bit of a piker.

Senator Ensign's blackmailer asked for $8.5 million!!! http://news.aol.com/article/ensigns-ex-mistress-husband-sought-85/700404

I guess when all the parties are married it is worth more???

RICHARD
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Top Ten reasons you may be in trouble with the wife.

10. You bring your 'assistant' along when you go on vacation in Montana with your wife.

9. Paying your assistant 200,000 a year is more expensive that hiring a hooker?

8. The wife doesn't appreciate your sense of humor.

7. Uma, Oprah, Uma, Oprah.....

6. How much is half of ALOT OF MONEY?

5. The next time you hire an assistant? Make sure she doesn't keep a diary.

4. It's only cheating if you are caught.

3. Your wife makes you apologize and you can't help but putting it in a monologue and passing it off as humor.

2. You hide all the Super Glue in the house and sleep with one eye open.

And the Number One reason you may be in hot water with your wife?

1. She asks you to sleep on the couch-in the next state over............

happylabs
10-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Great Top 10 List Richard! Did you make that one up? :D

RICHARD
10-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Great Top 10 List Richard! Did you make that one up? :D

Yes, I do all my own writing.

I don't have the money to hire writers or hooke----ah , assistants!:D;)

lolololol, this poor cat should be paid every time I use that link.:D

RICHARD
10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Come on Dave!

Steve Phillips got caught knocking boots with his intern..that should be worth a few points in YOUR eyes.....Or a few jokes about cheating on your spouse/SO/GF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

Grace
10-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Come on Dave!

Steve Phillips got caught knocking boots with his intern..that should be worth a few points in YOUR eyes.....Or a few jokes about cheating on your spouse/SO/GF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

I think he picked the wrong woman/girl - young enough to be his daughter, btw. Does the phrase fatal attraction ring a bell?

She had calls made to his wife, sent her emails, may have contacted one of his sons.

Edwina's Secretary
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
And not very smart! Read the letter she wrote to his wife and her interesting take on the Catholic Church and divorce....

Phillips (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_espn_steve_phillips_in_bLw9UoSAQJwJLU4ZD XvvDO)

(Photos of her as well...oh my...)

Letterman is looking more virtuous by the day!

RICHARD
10-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Grace,
That broad went to SP's house and crashed into a wall!

Hey,
I saw the potato lady on David Letterman while he had BO on the show,

I could tell Dave and BO wanted to invite her on stage with them...I guess it's too soon for Dave and Barack to mingle with the ladies?:confused::rolleyes:

I think BO is still stinging from the THalia debacle?