PDA

View Full Version : Killing of animals as a stylistic device in books and movies

Kirsten
10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
This is something that always makes me cringe. Whenever there's an animal mentioned in a thriller, especially if it's one the "good" character likes, you can almost be sure that at some point in the story, it's going to be killed. Im most cases, the description of this cruelty is very graphic and detailed. So happened in the book I'm currently reading, Stieg Larsson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", where a cat found a horrible death. I had actually planned to see the movie, too; but now I probably won't.

It always hurts my feelings so bad when this happens in a book or movie, and I think there should be warnings on the cover.

What do you think?

I swear if I was an author (and I used to write a bit when I was younger), the animals in my stories would always be safe!

Kirsten

Barbara
10-01-2009, 10:05 AM
I know exactly what you mean.
To show that the bad ones are really bad they start up with having them killing a cat. I have stopped to read several books because of this. It makes me sick.
That may be one of the reasons why I only read nice old-fashioned detective stories like the Mma Ramotswe stories by Alexander McCall Smith.
Whatever is called thriller these days is by far too horrible for me.

Kirsten
10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree. Some of these old-time stories with their subtle horrors can be eerie and entertaining as well.

It seems the killing of animals is something that happens too often in these stories of today. Whenever a pet is mentioned in a thriller, or a crime story, I'm beginning to fear for it - but in most cases, it's going to find a horrible end. Like the cat in the Stieg Larsson story I'm just reading. It's sad, because so far, I really liked the book and couldn't stop reading. But now I need a break! :(

Kirsten

Randi
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
... "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", where a cat found a horrible death.How disappointing - now, I'm not sure I want to read it. Anyway, I heard the second book is better.

Another sad thing is that some people who read such things, or see films with animal cruelty might get some ideas. :(

The books by Alexander McCall Smith that you mention Barbara, I'll definately check out! Can you recommend one of the series rather than another?

phesina
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I can't bear to read things like that.

If I know beforehand there is such an act in a book, I won't read it. If I come across it in a book, I stop reading it and get rid of it. That author/etc. goes on my sh*t list, not to be perused again.

Each time I encounter one of these situations, I wonder WHAT kinds of ideas and attitudes the author has. And I also fear that the reason people do include such acts in books, films, whatever that they are writing/publishing/whatever, is because they've found that it will not hurt the publication's sales. If there were a significant outcry or refusal to purchase against these kinds of "stylistic devices," the publishers might think twice. Maybe? One can hope.

Barbara
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
How disappointing - now, I'm not sure I want to read it. Anyway, I heard the second book is better.

Another sad thing is that some people who read such things, or see films with animal cruelty might get some ideas. :(

The books by Alexander McCall Smith that you mention Barbara, I'll definately check out! Can you recommend one of the series rather than another?

Start with the first one. It's called something like The No1 ladies' detective agency. They are not really thrillers. But the mysteries are all solved and they are absolutely cute.

Randi
10-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks Barbara, I'll see if they have any of them at the library next time. :)

Kirsten
10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
How disappointing - now, I'm not sure I want to read it. Anyway, I heard the second book is better.

Well, actually I liked the story until I came to that particular point. And I was thrilled when I learnt that there's a movie also. But now I don't want to see it.

If there were a significant outcry or refusal to purchase against these kinds of "stylistic devices," the publishers might think twice. Maybe? One can hope.

Good thought, but what can we do? Start a petition or something?

Start with the first one. It's called something like The No1 ladies' detective agency. They are not really thrillers. But the mysteries are all solved and they are absolutely cute

Sounds like something that's worth trying... :)

Kirsten

Medusa
10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm w/you, Kirsten. When The X Files first came to TV, I watched an episode that I call a puppy snuff. I wouldn't watch any subsequent programs because of it. It was gratuitous and it upset me so badly that now if I get wind of an animal in peril in movies or books, I stay away.

Karen
10-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I actually liked that book, Kirsten. Yes, it is upsetting when the kitty is killed, but it is part of the overall story and plot. And such things happen in real life, and that bothers me more than it does in fiction. I wouldn't like it if it was done gratuitously, but I don't think it will ever inspire anyone to do it in real life. People get killed in stories and movies all the time, too. Sometimes there's an outcry against that, but usually it just happens with no comment.

sparks19
10-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I can't say I'm overly bothered by it. it's fiction. Like Karen said this stuff happens in real life ALL the time and that is far more upsetting then jsut reading it in a book. Now when it's in a movie I might close my eyes or look away but it really doesn't ruin it for me.

pomtzu
10-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

We watch t.v. shows and movies all the time, that show people being killed, and for some reason, we have become hardened to this, and it doesn't affect us all that much. True - it's only a movie - but why does an animal being killed in a movie (or book), affect us so adversely?? :confused:

Anybody have any answers?

lizbud
10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I hate the killing of any animal in movies or books. Most of the time, it
is not needed to further the plot. Used purely for shock value.

boomersooner
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Which is why I never read dog or horse stories when I was a kid......

Kirsten
10-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

We watch t.v. shows and movies all the time, that show people being killed, and for some reason, we have become hardened to this, and it doesn't affect us all that much. True - it's only a movie - but why does an animal being killed in a movie (or book), affect us so adversely?? :confused:

Anybody have any answers?

I've been wondering the same, but I haven't found any answers yet.

BTW, re. the "girl with the dragon tattoo"-movie: Have been told today that the killing of the cat is not in the movie.

Kirsten