PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami warning for NZ...

carole
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers, NZ was issued with this warning this morning and it could hit lower north island as early as 9.45 am, please also think of those in American Samoa, who have already been hit by an earthquake of 8.3 and the Tsunami.

We are hoping it won't hit NZ, but we have to be prepared, luckily i am well inland, but i worry for those who are not, most of my family is far enough away i think, although i have no idea just how far a tidal wave can go, as my son and sister live in Auckland, but again they are not close to the sea, so should be ok.

Anyhow it is scarey all the same, and if it happens the cost will be huge,hopefully only financially and no lives will be lost.,because of the ample pre-warning.

The weather has been bad for a few days, lots of heavy rain, thunder, lightening etc, and it is not much better today.

Thanks for listening.

lvpets2002
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
:) I sure hope all will be ok.. Yes I heard this - this morning.. Lots of Prayers being sent.. Keep us posted ok..

Catty1
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Prayers that all can get to safety before the wave hits, if it does!

Randi
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I watched a National Geographic programme just yesterday on Tsunamis through the last century, it was scary. A warning is definately worth listening to! I hope this won't be too bad! The poor people who live near the cost better get their most important things together and go inland. Hope all will be safe!

Take care, Carole! :)

carole
09-29-2009, 03:23 PM
thanks, yes i feel somewhat uneasy today, it is always scarey, I don't want anyone to get hurt and the damage could be devastating to our country, just have to hope that we will get lucky, in the meantime spare some thoughts and prayers for those in American Samoa, who have already been hit by it, poor people.

pomtzu
09-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Scary indeed, but be thankful that you've had plenty of warning, unlike that Christmas Day tsunami of several years ago.

Praying that the damage will be minimal and all your family is safe.

carole
09-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes i totally agree, i am not worried for myself, i am way inland and should be fine, just other people,friends, family,and just NZer's in general, i guess we are way luckier than the people in American Samoa, they had no warning.,still be all the better if it does not arrive.

Hellow
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
American Samoa got hit with a 24? foot tsunami. Hopefully it won't hit NZ like that, if it does at all, which I am hoping for.

Medusa
09-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Prayers that all will be safe.....

caseysmom
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Good thoughts coming your way Carole, I hope all the people of NZ are spared.

phesina
09-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Good thoughts and prayers for you and yours, Carole, and all the people and other critters in the path of the tsunami, wherever they are. May the storm pass without causing further casualties, and may all stay safe.

A candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9265395

Karen
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Prayers coming your way, and prayers for those in American Samoa. I don't think any of us will ever hear tsunami the same way again, after the devastation in the Indian Ocean tsunami of a few years ago.

cassiesmom
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Prayers coming your way, and prayers for those in American Samoa. I don't think any of us will ever hear tsunami the same way again, after the devastation in the Indian Ocean tsunami of a few years ago.

I thought the same thing when I heard this on the news. Prayers for Carole and for those in American Samoa too.

Laura's Babies
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Gee, stay safe! That is scarey as all get out but at least you got plenty of warning.. I saw that on TV tonight and feel so bad for all the people who live in Samoa..

carole
09-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone, we are so fortunate, we were spared, it did hit but was very mild, nothing at all really,thank God,but yes i am so sorry for the people in American Samoa, i see Obama is sending aid there.

Now of course we have the earthquake in Indonesia as well, poor poor people, my heart goes out to them all, keep those prayers going for those poor unfortunate people.

Catty1
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Carole - I am so glad to hear that you and your family, and fellow New Zealanders, are ok.

Prayers for the people in Samoa and Indonesia...it's unimaginable there.

DJFyrewolf36
09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I am glad you are ok! We had an advisory warning about a tsunami all the way here in Oregon. Kind of a wierd feeling even though the water didnt rise over two feet here.