PDA

View Full Version : I was in a car accident today

wolf_Q
10-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Well, technically it was today, as it happened past midnight last night. My friend, Melissa, and I usually go and do something fun on friday nights. She had driven me to work and picked me up because my car had issues (will explain later). When we got back home, we decided to go out to eat and see a movie. It was almost 8:00 when we left. So after we ate the only movie we could see was the 10:30 show.

After the movie, we drove home...we WERE home, we drove right past my house. But we liked the song on the radio, and we decided to just drive around for a little while longer. We do this quite often....just drive around town listening to the radio, talking etc. I don't know why...

Well, it was dark...probably around 12:30. My city is right up by the mountains, so where we were driving had a lot of hills. We were also in a small, 2-door car that's very low to the ground. The seats are also not the original seats, and are quite close to the dashboard. We were not asleep, not even tired, as I'm used to staying up late (erm...internet addiction).

Well, I'm not even sure what happened exactly...we were driving and I don't think she realized how much of a hill was there. I mean it was almost straight down, with a huge dip. The best part, there was a manhole right there. Not an ordinary manhole either, it was sticking up out of the ground a lot. Like the top of it was straight across but on there was the dip right next to it. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense.

I think we were going a little slower then the speed limit (25) but I'm sure we gained momentum from the hill. I don't know. I just remember seeing that manhole, and Melissa says I yelled something...I don't remember....but it was too late. We hit it HARD. I just remember the car was filled with smoke and I didn't know what was happening. I could hear Melissa getting out of the car, so then I tried....it took me a minute because the doors were locked and I was in a seatbelt. I walked out in a bit of a daze. I felt my face and it was all wet, my nose was bleeding all over.

Melissa was hysterical .....I have never seen her that upset. She was screaming and crying. I know I turned off the radio, turned off the car and got the keys, then I fumbled around and found the cell phone. I went over to the street sign and called my parents and her parents. Some neighbors came over to help and they called the cops. I didn't think her car was too bad at first, as it was just the front grill type thing was crooked, the windshield was cracked (airbag top hit it). But the manhole just ripped the crap out of the bottom of it. There was some sort of fluid all over. I feel so bad because she has only had the car since this May.

Anyway, sorry for the long story there. We're both ok. Her jaw is killing her. And my nose is swollen up and killing me, along with my jaw..few cuts. Because of the air bag. It sounds dumb now thinking that we hit a manhole, lol. But it scared the crap out of both of us, and it was a real eye-opener. If going 25 hitting a manhole can do that to a car, I don't want to see going 55 and hitting another car. Wear your seatbelts, and watch out for manholes. ;)

Karen
10-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Yikes, glad you are both kinda okay - that you injuries are the kind you can recover from!

I have never hit a manhole that was sticking up that far, but I did once (several years ago) hit an unexpected deep pothole - are those only indigenous to the North? - and heard a loud "crunch!" The car seemed okay afterwards, so I kept driving, but the next time I was at my parents' house, my Dad looked was checking out the car, and came back into the house with half a brake shoe in one hand.

"Mind telling me where th rest of this is?" he asked.

"Um, I dunno, oh wait! Could a pothole do that?" I asked.

"Did you hit the brake as you hit the pothole?" "Yeah, I was surprised at how big it was, so was slowing down .."

My brake shoe was eaten by a Massachusetts pothole!

Again, so glad you both are okay - cars are replacable, friends are not!

Rottieluver45
10-05-2002, 01:00 PM
OMG!! I hope you feel alot better soon!I`ve never been a car crash it must have been awfull!

momoffuzzyfaces
10-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Gosh, I'm glad you both weren't hurt worse. I'm sure it was scary!

ChrisH
10-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Thank God you are both ok!
I was in a car crash once, my sister was driving and the car went into the side of a van. I don`t recall what happened because I was knocked out, all I remember was getting in the car to go home and next thing I woke up in hospital. Thank God that we both only had minor injuries but it sure was scary.
Once again, glad you are both ok, and I hope you feel better soon.

anna_66
10-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Wow, that's crazy! I'm glad to hear you are both ok, well, ok as you can be:)
I agree Amy, wear seatbelts, they save lives!

Cookiebaker
10-05-2002, 02:53 PM
I'm so glad that you & Melissa are OK. That is soo scary!! :eek: It shakes you up for a while...I've only been in two very minor incidents and after both of them, I didn't want to drive again. But after a couple weeks back to normal & bombing around town. :p

tatsxxx11
10-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Oh, how awful!! I'm glad you weren't more badly injured than you were!! How frightening!! I hope you both are feeling better today. Thank goodness you had your cell phone with you too! Please tell Melissa that we're all sending you both our love and good wishes for a quick recovery! {{{HUGS}}}

lovemymaltese
10-05-2002, 04:18 PM
Oh my, I am so glad that you are both okay. What a scary experience.

lynnestankard
10-05-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm so pleased your both OK - just the minor injuries that will heal.
Hope neither of you had shock. Just so scary isn't it?
Bit like ChrisH we were in a bad accident once and I woke up in hospital, wondering where on earth I was. Gave me the jitters for ages.
Take good care {{{{Hugs}}}} .

Lynne

Cincy'sMom
10-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Glad to hear you are both okay!

Things you would never suspect, can eally tear up your car! A gitl I dance with hit a curb a few weeks ago and totalled her car. ( She was not hurt) It was one month to the day that she had gotten her license...

Miss Meow
10-05-2002, 07:24 PM
Oh no, how scary. It's dreadful when you know something bad's going to happen but it's too late to change anything. I'm glad you're both alright :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-05-2002, 10:16 PM
That's terrible. I'm glad that you're both alright.

AmberLee
10-05-2002, 10:21 PM
What a shock. So glad that you were not more seriously hurt. Take care of yourself. {{{hug}}}

wolf_Q
10-06-2002, 01:20 AM
Thanks guys. :) Yeah I'm glad we're both ok, but i still feel bad about the poor car. Melissa had been saving up for a long time to get it. :(

I just wish we would have gone home, and it never would have happened.

I'd probably really freak out if I would have woke up in the hospital! It's driving me crazy enough that I don't remember a little bit. Like I remember seeing the dip, and then I remember seeing smoke and getting out. I've lost the in-between. Not that it really matters.

I think the city is going to have to pay the bill for this one. All of the neighbors said there'd been problems with it before, and the cops agreed that it shouldn't be like that.

Well, I have to admit.....I find it rather funny that we hit a manhole. Funny to say, it wasn't funny when it happened. lol.

Kfamr
10-06-2002, 01:57 AM
Richard will be bringing you some tarpoons and pink shorts, as a "Get Well" Card/gift. KayAnn Hopes you enjoy them, *KayAnn Laughs*

...Geezz... now Pet Talk gets to see our weird-o-ness!:D

KayAnn says Everyone stay safe and wath out for them man holes, they jump out at 'cha!

wolf_Q
10-06-2002, 02:10 AM
LOL KayAnn, poor pet talkers......poor Ash! I think we might have really frightened her. Note to everyone else, if I, KayAnn, or Rachel invite you into a chat, please just ignore us lol.

gini
10-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Most of all, I am just happy that you both are alright. It sure does sound like the city should cover your friend's costs to repair the car. I hope that they will.

Hitting a manhole cover..............the imagination runs with the possibilities of very good jokes here.:) :)

Sudilar
10-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Glad you two are ok. The car can be fixed.

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-07-2002, 06:40 AM
Amy, I am glad that you and Melissa walked away from the accident with minor injuries. Thecar can be fixed and it does sound like the city should cover it. What about her insurance?

AdoreMyDogs
10-07-2002, 07:19 AM
Oh gosh how scary. I am glad that it was only the car that was hurt. I know that your friend may be upset, but it is just a car, your health and well-being is far more important.

ramanth
10-07-2002, 09:39 AM
EEK! I'm so glad you guys are okay. I agree with Souraya... sounds like the city should pay for the damages done to your car.

Here in MI when they repave roads, there are times when the manholes are elevated for a short time until they put on the final layer of blacktop. I can see how someone with a low riding car could do a lot of damage.

jackiesdaisy1935
10-07-2002, 10:55 AM
Oh my gosh Amy I just read this post, thank goodness you and Melissa are both O.K. that was so freaky. I'm sure the city will have to pay for everything, including her car. I hope you are feeling much better today and Melissa too.
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

wolf_Q
10-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Well I really think the car is totaled. I've seen pics of it, and there's crap hanging clear down underneath. Melissa says her next car is not going to be so small!! lol. Yeah, she had insurance, so I think it will all be ok. We're still working on getting the city to pay for it, I hope they will!

kingrattus
10-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Glad u 2 r ok.

I have a funny car accident to talk about (it didn't involve me).
My friends older brother had just got his full lisence & not even 1 hour after he was in an accident (he wasn't hurt at all). He drove from Smiths Falls to Perth, about 25KM, drove to our high school parking lot, was speeding, tried to go around a sharp turn, & ended up on parking his car ontop of a bolder (a 3 foot rock). It was put in the school paper & in the local papers. The sad thing is, is that his dad could have cared less & fixed the car ASAP & gave it back to him. Lets just say that kids been in so many accidents its not funny & his dad just keeps fixing the car & not calling the police.

Sudilar
10-08-2002, 10:20 AM
Glad that you and your friend are ok. The car can be fixed. You two are what's important.

HoRsELUvR
10-08-2002, 04:06 PM
oh my gosh!its good you weren't hurt too badly.i hope you'll be ok.