PDA

View Full Version : New Cellphone

Genny
09-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I want to get a new one cause the one I have is so old and I want one that's more up-to-date and new where you can like get on the internet and download music and stuff on, so what's a cool new phone that's out that ya'll have?? Mine is prob. like the oldest one you could find LOL... I need some kinds to tell my mom about cause she'll be going with me to get the new phone switched over to our account and stuff...so....thanks...

Laura's Babies
09-27-2009, 07:49 AM
The next time I get off of work, I am going to get a iPhone. My daughter has one and it takes the prettiest pictures and does the neatest stuff, the reason I want it is for the GPS, that is what sold me. I can replace my MP3 player, GPS and cell phone with this one gadget and save a lot of room in my luggage. I NEED a GPS that is SMALL that can get me home when I get off the boat out in the middle of nowhere that is always with me..

On my 28 days off, my daughter (and others) can teach me how to use it.

Hellow
09-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I much prefer the T-Mobile G1 (http://www.t-mobileg1.com/) over the iPhone.

Genny
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
An iphone?? sounds cool...can someone tell me what all it does?? THANKS!! ;)

Laura's Babies
09-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Gee whiz, my daughter does nothing but brag about what hers does. She can get on the internet with it, download games, ringtones and stuff. She has games for her grand daughter to occupy her when they go somewhere (she only downloads the free stuff and it has lots free, all you need is a iTunes account.. The GPS will locate where you are when you want a place to go eat and give you a list with addresses of what is nearby and guide you to the one you pick to eat at. (I am hoping it has the same for motels) She can check her email from it and email others.. It has a touch screen so all you have to do is touch the screen on the phone's onscreen keyboard to send texts and emails. Text messages are on the screen when it lets you have a text. Every time I see her she has discovered something new it does that she didn't know about... and like I said, you can download songs to it and use it like a MP3 player with earphones. It will save a lot of room in my suitcase and get me home when I get off out in the middle of nowhere.

Genny
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Cool...I think I want one of those :D How much do they run??

BitsyNaceyDog
09-29-2009, 05:02 AM
The next time I get off of work, I am going to get a iPhone. My daughter has one and it takes the prettiest pictures and does the neatest stuff, the reason I want it is for the GPS...

The newest iPhones (at least I think they're already out, maybe not though) have a 4 megapixil camera, not too shabby for a camera phone.

My husband uses the GPS a lot, especially when he's walking in downtown Orlando, he always gets lost without it.

Moesha
09-29-2009, 06:31 AM
What cell phone carrier do you use? The iPhone is only available on AT&T's network. Each carrier has some different phones and then there are some that work on several carriers. There are the regular phones and then there are the smart phones. The smart phones cost more because you also have to have a data plan to use those different features that they offer.

Laura's Babies
09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
I looked online and they had 2.. One for $99 with a 2 year contract and one for $199 with a 2 year contract. Yea, we have AT&T.

Hellow
09-29-2009, 02:38 PM
then there are some that work on several carriers.

For future reference, those are called "Unlocked phones". :)

Genny
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
What cell phone carrier do you use? The iPhone is only available on AT&T's network. Each carrier has some different phones and then there are some that work on several carriers. There are the regular phones and then there are the smart phones. The smart phones cost more because you also have to have a data plan to use those different features that they offer.

ohhhh....I've got Verizon. What's a good cell that they carry???

Moesha
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
What kind of things would you like to be able to do? For regular phones they have several with a keyboard. Like the EnV series of phones. You can use those to browse the internet or download music. I had the original EnV for over two and a half years. I really liked it, even though I didn't use all of its features. I would still have it, except that it just started turning itself off without warning, even with a full battery. I just got the new Blackberry Tour. It is pretty nice, although it is much more phone than I need or will probably ever use. They have several smart phones. Most of the smart phones require a $30 a month data plan in addition to your regular minute plan. So that can be pretty pricey. Verizon has other regular phones that are pretty sweet too. I have a friend who has the Voyager. It is a touch screen and can do internet and music. Go to www.verizonwireless.com (http://www.verizonwireless.com) and click on phones to see some of the options and some pricing. Most of the phones will probably work with your current package. If you look at the Blackberrys (I assume that is how you would pluralize the Blackberry brand, rather than Blackberries, but who knows) or the smart phone section, remember that those require the data plan package as well. Also, Blackberry is coming out with the updated Storm, the Storm II, next month I think. That is the Blackberry version touchscreen phone. Hope that helped some.

ETA: I think there is an EnV 2 and EnV 3 out now as well as the EnV Touch. My mom has the EnV 2, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at the other versions very closely.

Genny
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I would like to have one that does what Laura's Babies said that the iphone her daughter has does...that sounds cool and I really want one like that ;)

Moesha
09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
The Blackberry Tour has the GPS unlocked. They say that the Blackberry Curve should have the GPS unlocked by the end of the year. I am not sure if the Storm II will have it unlocked or not. It is the touch screen like the iPhone. Most of the smart phones do things similar to the iPhone. You can download applications so that it can do other things that you want it to do as well. They are sort of like small hand held computers that make phone calls too. But they do require the additional $30 a month data package. My brother-in-law has the new Samsung smart phone. I forget what it is called at the moment. It has the Windows operating system. There are a ton of aps that he can get for free to customize it. I've only had my Blackberry for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of downloading Oregon Trail for it. :D

Genny
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Cool, and they're all touch screen right, cause I'm tired of the buttons...mine keep getting stuck and won't type sometimes when I'm writin a text...that's one reason I'm getting a new phone...the other reason i just want one!! :D

Genny
09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
The Blackberry Tour sounds fun, is that what you had/have? I think I should go one day w/ my mom and check it out at the store and ask some questions there...she doesn't really want me to get another phone.. she wants me to get another 'old boring' one like I have now, but I want a new one. I told her I'd be payin for it and she's like well ok whatever I just think you're wasting your money but I really don't think so...oh...and the Blackberry Tour has the internet on it, right?? :)

Moesha
09-29-2009, 08:12 PM
The Storm is the Blackberry touch screen. If you were looking into the Storm, I would definitely wait until the Storm II comes out. The Omnia, I think that's what the Samsung one that my brother-in-law has is touch screen also.

Genny
09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
the Blackberry Tour isn't touch screen?

Moesha
09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
No, the Tour is not touch screen. I didn't want touch screen. My friend first got the Storm and returned it for the Tour. That's why I recommended that you wait for the Storm II if you wanted a touch screen Blackberry. I really like my Tour. You can sync it with iTunes. Something that you couldn't do with the Curve. I don't know what new features the Storm II will have.

Genny
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
oh...I see...would you happen to know when the Storm II is coming out??

Moesha
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't know. I just checked the crackberry forums and they are basically guessing. Some say the beginning or middle of October. Others are suggesting November. You could always do some research and read reviews to get familiar with features of the different phones.

Genny
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Yea...ok...thanks....I appreciate you helping me out with this :) When I get one my mom wants to go w/ me so I think I'll see if sometime this week she'll go and we can check out the phones at the store..and if I don't see something I like maybe wait for the Storm II :D

Genny
09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
:)one more thing i want to ask you, can you get on the internet w/ the Blackberry Tour?? Thanks!!;):)

Moesha
09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes indeed!

Genny
09-30-2009, 09:22 PM
cool, oh and I didn't know this but a friend of mine at work has one and she said that on hers the roller ball gets stuck...i'm not real sure what that is or what she meant..but has that happened to you?

Moesha
09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I am making this post from the blackberry. It is not nearly as easy as using a computer but can be done!

I have had no problems with the rollerball. I have heàrd that it is a different ball than the curve uses. I also heard that there was a bigger problem with some of them when they first came out but that now they fixed a lot of that on the current ones. The fixed ones have a green dot on the UPC code on the box that comes from the store when you buy it. This is my first blackberry so I am not having to unlearn a previous version. I really like my Tour. Go to the store and get a feel for some of them before buying one. Also read some reviews online. That may help you think of some questions to ask here or at the store.

Genny
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
ok, thanks I'll do that. If you don't mind me bothering you if I have anymore questions I'll ask you...lol I really think this phone sounds like the one I might go with...

Moesha
09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't mind at all. Feel free to ask anything you would like to know. I most certainly don't know all the answers, but I can give you information from my experience with jumping in to the world of Blackberry with both feet and no real prior knowledge. It really isn't as intimidating as I first thought it was going to be. It just took a couple of days to get familiar with it. I still could learn something new every day. In fact, I just did. I figured out how to set the alarm! Maybe some others have some suggestions as well.

Genny
10-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Just wanted to make sure..is this the phone you have on this page??

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4866

Moesha
10-01-2009, 05:01 AM
That is it. :cool:

Genny
10-01-2009, 07:05 PM
awesome :) Well actually I went today and talked to someone at Verizon and he showed me all the blackberries and told me lots about them. Right now they actually have a thing going where you buy one and get one free..but you have to sign a 2 yr. contract. I think I'm gonna do that tho...I could give the other phone to my little brother..so yea..looks like I might do that tomorrow :) :) I got to play w/ one of the Blackberry Tours and it was cool. Way dif. from my cell that I'm used to right now but I could get use to it lol

catnapper
10-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I just want to make sure you're aware that Blacberry phone have to have internet access. It will be a minimum of $30 a month per phone, plus your basic minutes, plus texting ,etc. Blackberry gets expensive. Are you or your parents willing to have a 2 year contract for that?

Genny
10-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, I know...they told me about that and Moesha told me about it yesterday too. I'm gonna pay it...my mother has already said she won't. I don't expect her to though since it is for me.

Moesha
10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Both phones have to be activated and have the extra data plan per month and it has to be on your plan. They had the buy one get one free last month when I got mine also. I asked if I could get one and my friend get the free one. Both of them would have been activated. Let wouldn't let us do that. No one else on my plan, who is only my mom, wanted to pay the extra monthly fees for a blackberry. So, I could have gotten a "free" one, but I didn't because of the conditions on the phone. I also could have gotten a free netbook instead of the extra blackberry. Again that required an extra $40 per month for the Verizon internet service with it. Make sure you understand all of the terms before agreeing to anything. I hope if you do get the Tour that you love it. If you do, I'll give you a few hints that I've learned so far that may help you out.

Also, the $30 a month data plan doesn't include texting. So if you have a texting plan now, you'll have to keep that. That's why I said before that it was $30 (plus taxes) in addition to whatever amount you are paying now.

Genny
10-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh....I understand...thankyou :) Sure, I'll let you know if I get it and you could give me some hints--that'd be cool ;)

Genny
10-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Moesha, I ended up getting the BlackBerry Storm. It's pretty cool--just got it today...I haven't done much on it they said to let it charge for like 10 hours and stuff..just thought I'd tell ya

Moesha
10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
You will have to let us know how you like it. My friend got the Storm first. She just couldn't seem to get used to having to click the keys. And she said that she had a hard time judging which key she was pressing. Someone at the store told her that it had taken her about a month to get used to them. I hope you enjoy it!

Marigold2
10-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I just got a new phone as well. I had been with Verzion since the cell phones came out many a moon ago. I felt they were very expensive and my bill kept getting extra charges. Could not wait till my contract was up. One of my coworkers has Alltel, they are being bought out by Verzion so I stayed away from that. I went to AT&T but had terrible service and my work, the building I am in is weird like that. Had the AT&T for two weeks and went over to Sprint. Love it.
I have 450 any time minutes, nights and weekends start at 7 instead of 9 with AT&T and I have unlimited texting. Total cost a month $49.00. My phone slides two ways up and down, have a full keyboard on it. I don't need to have e-mail or Twitter or Facebook, just phone and text, oh it has unlimited pictures too. I think its a great plan with a cool phone.

Moesha
10-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I would consider switching from Verizon, but they are the only option here. Well, except for my local phone company which has terrible plans! For instance, you have free mobile ot mobile with others that have service from them, but only if you are both in the 5 county area that they cover. If either of you are outside of that coverage area, it uses your regular minutes. That's just one of their crazy rules. AT&T won't even let you sign a contract with them if you live in my county. So Verizon it is. At this moment, all my friends and family have Verizon, so it would eat up tons of minutes, if anyone of us tried to switch to someone else.

Genny
10-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Yea it is cool but I've got some questions I wondered if u could answer for ne later. They told me the storm an tour r pretty much the same besides from the touch screen so hopefully you can help me

Moesha
10-11-2009, 07:41 AM
I can certainly try.

I will tell you that the one application I had to get is called Berrybuzz. I couldn't stand it that the Blackberrys only make a noise once, but don't have reminder beeps like when you miss a call or a text message. Berrybuzz allows you to set reminder beeps. I don't know if that is something that bothers you or not. If it is, you can download a 7 day trial version at http://www.crackberry.com (http://www.crackberry.com/). I think the application is $6 if you decide you like it and want to use it.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I may not have the answer for you, but I'll do my best.

Genny
10-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi, here are some of the questions I've got for ya :) You may not be able to answer them since you have a different phone..the guy said they were about the same but I'm not sure. The first thing is that when ever I try to download myspace, rhapsody or AOL IM it won't let me...it will go ahead and make we wait for it to load and then a sign will pop up saying there is unsufficient space on the phone...I don't know what that means..I don't know how to make more space available either :confused:
And also how to I get new ringtones?? What should I go to?? And is it normal for it to take a few seconds longer to load sometimes?? Cause at times it loads just like that and then sometimes it takes a few...
I think I had some more questions but I can't think of them haha so maybe they'll come to me later....thanks Moesha!!

Genny
10-13-2009, 12:43 AM
And how long should the battery life last after you have fully charged it??? thanks!!!!!!

Moesha
10-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Battery life depends on how much and what kind of applications you are using. If you use the internet or GPS, it will go down faster. I have to charge my phone at least every other day. Sometimes every day. Also, I have noticed that it didn't hold the charge nearly as long when I fully charged it in the car or by connecting it to the computer. I've only done both of those things once though. So it might have been a fluke. The man at Verizon told me to charge it in the car only as a last resort. I haven't been able to find anywhere else that someone has said that though. He didn't really tell me why either. But if I am using GPS to go very far, I would have to have it charging in the car, since that does drain the battery more rapidly.

I moved sound files from my computer to the Blackberry, using the Roxio software, to use as ringtones. www.crackberry.com has a section with free ringtones. In fact, that is a very good site to use as a resource. They have forums and a store and many other helpful areas. Check it out.

Do you have a micro SD card for your Storm? That can help with the memory issue. I don't know how much you have on your phone, but it seems strange that it wouldn't hold enough for just myspace or the other things you mentioned. Perhaps the additional SD card would help with that.

As for the freezing up or taking longer to load, the only thing I know about that, is that my friend who had the Storm said that it didn't have as much memory as the Tour and that many people complained about those things with the Storm. I was in the car with her one day when it froze as she was trying to make a phone call. She couldn't get it to hang up. For more specific help with those issues, check out the forums at Crackberry.com. You may find more helpful ideas there. Since I haven't used the Storm myself, I'm not sure what else to tell you about that.

Hope you are enjoying it so far.

Genny
10-13-2009, 09:41 PM
what is a micro SD card??

Moesha
10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Your phone has a slot for more memory. Have you seen a digital camera or an Mp3 player that has a slot for a memory card? Many of them will take an SD card. The Storm takes what is called a micro SD card. It is like a removable storage device.

Genny
10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
HHmmm..I don't think I got one of those. I'm gonna call Verizon tomorrow and talk to them about my phone. I really like it besides not being able to download anything like that on it yet. I was kinda afraid that I wouldn't like the touch-screen cause I text a lot and I didn't know how that would be, but it really does get easier. I'm not as fast on it as I was my old phone but hopefully I'll get better at it lol ;)
Tonight I've been trying to figure out how to get a picture that I've made on my phone to be my screensaver/front screen picture whatever you call it :D but can't seem to get it figured out yet!

Moesha
10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
When you are viewing the picture, click on the "blackberry" key. That's the one with the white dots. Do you have an option to set picture as the home screen or something like that?

Genny
10-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Hey, I tried that and it worked--thankyou very much!! :)