PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Verizon FIOS ! ? !

Freedom
09-26-2009, 08:21 PM
I signed up to make the switch, I guess it will be alright, lol.

Right now I get all 3 - phone, TV and Internet - from the local cable company. Oh, it is digital cable. I've had that for about 3.5 years. The phone and TV -- with HD -- is fine. The Internet access is really slow, worst between 4 and 6 PM. I am moving all 3. For the TV, all the channels will "move," which will be tough for a start, a big deal for my Dad.

The hardest part will be the email. I don't use Explorer, don't keep my messages on my computer, I use the ISP's server. I do that because I can access it from either the desktop, the laptop, or the library. I'm thinking I should just move to "gmail" so I don't have to keep changing the email side of things. I have a LOT of folders and saved messages. WHAT am I going to do about those, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Will save me $50 per month for the first 6 months, and then $20 per month.

Karen
09-26-2009, 08:40 PM
You can check on the gmail site - some email services are able to be imported into a gmail account:

Importing contacts and mailPrint
If you're switching to Gmail from another email provider, importing contacts and messages from your old email account can help you make the transition without having to do a bunch of housekeeping.

Included:

aol.com
aol.fr
clear.net.nz
cox.net
comcast.net
cs.com
earthlink.net
freenet.de
freeserve.co.uk
gmx.at
gmx.ch
gmx.de
gmx.net
hotmail.com
hotmail.co.uk
hotmail.de
hotmail.fr
Ihug.co.nz ...
and the list goes on.

Freedom
09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh wow, thanks Karen! I am with Cox just now and that IS on the list!

One step in the madness, made easy, lol.

HUGS Karen!

Freedom
09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Well, it turns out that I don't have a gmail account (I could open one).

I already HAVE a yahoo.com email account, so I guess I'll switch to that!

First I will have to export all my addresses from cox.net onto the desktop, Outlook. Then from there I can move it all AGAIN, to yahoo. :rolleyes:

Laura's Babies
09-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I've had the yahoo account for years and I love it. I have the email with my local ISP but yahoo is there to stay now matter what ISP I use. That is what I like best about it. It is also easier to use when I travel.

boomersooner
09-27-2009, 10:04 AM
We've had Verizon Fios for a few years now...ever since it became available. We have it for phone, TV and internet. We love it, and have had no problems. We had DSL with our previous provider but the FIOS was even faster.

Hellow
09-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I cache all of my email messages locally, and I run my own mail server. Lawl.

Cable *is* faster than DSL number-wise, but Cable is a shared-usage form of broadband, and it slows down for everyone depending upon the amount of people using it at one time in your area.