PDA

View Full Version : My 6yr old Jacob is not well? Please help..

FloridaChic
09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a wonderful 6 yr old cat named Jacob. He has lost some weight and has just been a lazy cat the last few days. He really isn't eating or drinking much at all. I took him to the VET today and after 273.00 later, I was told that his White blood cell count is 10,000 times more than what it should be. The Vet said everything else is good, but wants to do an X-ray at 250.00, is this right? Then after all of that, he said that maybe it is his teeth, he does need a cleaning, they are bad. Any thoughts out there? I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, thanks so much!

Tammy

columbine
09-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, a high white count can mean any one of a number of things, so the X-ray is probably the best idea because it can rule out some of the scarier ones.

Can we see a picture of Jacob?

Love, Columbine

FloridaChic
09-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks so much, I am going to try to see if the VET will lower the cost for me, I think that the price is a little high, but here is to hoping :)

Jacob is the tabby and Nitro is the black/white cat.
They are both 6 years old, only a couple weeks apart.
We adopted them when they were 4 months old, they were together in a cage since birth (not brothers) and we had to take both, they just loved each other and still do!

columbine
09-26-2009, 10:11 PM
They're both adorable! I hope it's just scuzzy teeth and Jacob's feeling better soon, but definitely better safe than sorry.

Love, Columbine

TommyCat
09-27-2009, 06:09 AM
They are both so cute! Is Jacob eating any better today and drinking water? Maybe a little wet food, like Fancy Feast just to get some water also into him. I remember when my kitty was so sick and wouldn't eat, the Vet said even a little tuna based in water would okay just to get some food in him.

That does sound a little high for X-ray; is it an ultrasound possiblly the Vet would be giving Jacob? I hope the little guy will be okay.

Medusa
09-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Yes, the x-ray fee is excessively high; TommyCat may be right, perhaps it's an ultrasound that the vet mentioned. That price would be more in line then. I sure hope that you get to the bottom of what's ailing your kitty. If it's bad teeth, that's easily taken care of, although if he just needs a cleaning, I can't imagine that it would make him sick. Take it one step at a time, x-ray/ultrasound first, be sure your vet looks into Jacob's mouth, etc., then go from there. Keep us posted and post a pic when you are able. Keep the faythe. :)