PDA

View Full Version : The Chain Of Life

lizbud
09-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Although I think this is a wonderful thing to do for another human being,
I don't know if I could or would do it. Could you?

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090926/LIVING01/909260365/Chain%20of%20kidney%20transplants%20is%20a%20first ?GID=YBHDgEkoY2Pb3oQ6Ef1PzX9NbscpWOJxB9w5GmT7s6c%3 D

Catty1
09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
I think I would - especially when I know who it would save. Like the mom in the article, who has two kids.

I'd be SCARED - but I would do it. And it would be great to be alive to see the other person get better!

Grace
09-26-2009, 07:36 PM
These chains are so wonderful! There was a special series last year about Johns Hopkins, and they did one segment on just this subject. That chain extended from coast to coast - fantastic!

I once took care of a man of 35, who received a kidney from his best friend since 3rd grade. It was such a great experience for all involved.

I would do it.

Karen
09-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I think it is a wonderful idea, but I wouldn't do it, as this household is already short one kidney, and I have seen how much just having one impacts a person's immune system, etc. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, between our house and the one next to us were 6 healthy kidneys between four adults.

Twisterdog
09-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't think I could do that for a stranger. I'd like to be able to say I would, but honestly, I'm not sure. If something went wrong, and I died, I would be leaving my child an orphan and my mother without care. I don't think I would risk that for a stranger.

I would do it for a member of my family.

moosmom
09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
For a family member, in a nano second!!!

For a stranger, in a nano second!! Either way you're taking a chance. Why not allow someone in need have a second chance??

However, because I've had kidney problems since I was a kid, I highly doubt I'd qualify. That's okay though, cuz I'm an organ doner (sp?) on my driver's license and in my will.

slick
09-27-2009, 11:15 AM
I would do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked!!! :love:

lizbud
09-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I think it is a wonderful idea, but I wouldn't do it, as this household is already short one kidney, and I have seen how much just having one impacts a person's immune system, etc. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, between our house and the one next to us were 6 healthy kidneys between four adults.

I don't think you could be a candidate for donor with a compromised
immune sysyem.

Karen
09-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't think you could be a candidate for donor with a compromised
immune sysyem.

Mine isn't compromised, his is. Mine is a bit hyperactive - all my allergies are an "immune system" reaction to the wrong things, but the immune function is great.

I am an organ donor, have the sticker on my license and all. I figure my eyes aren't great, but wearing glasses is far better than being blind!

boomersooner
09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I think it is great what these people are doing, but I wouldn't do it. My daughter only has one kidney....she has no problems, but you never know....If fact, as the doctor told us, there are so many of us probably walking around with only one kidney, but no one finds out until an autopsy.

lizbud
09-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Mine isn't compromised, his is. Mine is a bit hyperactive - all my allergies are an "immune system" reaction to the wrong things, but the immune function is great.

I am an organ donor, have the sticker on my license and all. I figure my eyes aren't great, but wearing glasses is far better than being blind!

Ooops, I meant "you" in the general sense not you specifically.:)

luckies4me
09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm seriously considering donating a kidney to my friend Julie. She is on dialysis three times a week now, for the second time. Her brother gave her a kidney a few years ago, but it failed, and now she is back on dialysis. She is only in her early twenties. :( She has a fistula in her heart and they tried putting one in the bend of her arm but it stopped working. Now she has a huge blood clot. Come to find out (through surgery which couldn't fix it) that the clot leads into her heart. She is on medication (basically rat poison) to help her. Seeing someone like this, especially someone so young just kills me. However, I am not sure if I am even healthy enough to donate a kidney, and it would have to be a match anyway. She is so strong though. She still works! Though only on the weekend. I worry about her. A lot.

Julie is Phil's ex girlfriend (my ex that had Leukemia). My other friend has the same type of Leukemia as Phil (in her twenties as well) as well as two other types of cancer. She had a melanoma taken off her shoulder which left a huge scar, and some other type of cancer. Not sure what the third is and haven't bothered to ask. Phil's best friend Jacob, also had cancer. Not sure exactly what it was though. And I have Lupus...hence the reason I'm not sure about donating. We all live in the same area, so it makes you wonder!!! I've seen my fair share of unhealthy people (not including family members) and it's quite saddening. I would do anything to help save a friend. As far as a stranger, I don't think I could do it. Then there's always the thought of, what if I donate and then something happens to my health. Then what?

Edit- she has Goodpastures Syndrome

Freedom
09-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I would.

I have the organ donor card on my driver's license. And I have registered with the Bone Marrow Transplant organization, so they can find me if there is a match.

Like Candace said, I would be SCARED, but I would do it.