PDA

View Full Version : Big Dogs!

Mallerie23
07-19-2000, 05:22 PM
I have a yellow lab named Allie who I really love! She is really smart, patient, and well behaved (unless she has a partner in crime to run away with.) I'm mostly a big dog person, but i also like my jack russell terrier. what do you think?

rachael_59
07-24-2000, 03:43 PM
i think you are the best person because any dogs purebred or mix small or big but i like mostly is rough dogs because they need exercise and so do i because i am in the womans olympic running team.

Kendall2
07-27-2000, 10:58 PM
I vote for big dogs too. We have 4. Sox is an Aussie/German Shepard mix, Tigger is a Husky/Pitbull mix, Shawna is a full breed Aussie, and Jazzy is a full breed Great Dane. I think that qualifies me for a big dog lover.

Traci
07-28-2000, 03:43 PM
My vote is for big dogs. I really have no reason other than I've always liked the bigger dogs opposed to the small ones. We have a Siberian Husky, Nikko. He is 2 1/2 years old and is such a lover. We don't know what we'd do without him.

karen israel
08-01-2000, 02:53 PM
Yep, even though I miss the days when I could hold Cody, I love the fact that he's a big, 95 lb muscular mix of GR/YL that I can
cuddle or wrestle with (either of us ever
grew up). I'm so thankful that the "him walking me" days are over. I'm passionate about ALL dogs I just like them big and powerful as a matter of preference

Rosiebaby6
08-03-2000, 11:43 AM
I love big dogs too! I have a bernese mountain dog, and she is the love of my life, I don't know why, but I've never liked yappy little dogs.

tsmom
08-03-2000, 01:06 PM
Mostly I've been abig dog fan-and right now I've got a GSD and a 140 lb royy/bloodhound mix. Also 2 bassets, which are big dogs with short legs. But my newest rescue is a mini doxy. There can be said something good for a dog that can curl up on your lap without crushing you.

Chicklet44
08-04-2000, 05:20 PM
Big dogs are grea. when i was a little kid, i had a dog named Fritz who was half golden retreiever, half saint bernard and he was HUGE!! he was the best dog i've ever had.

Michelle
08-07-2000, 08:37 AM
I vote for big dogs. I have raised both big and toy. By far I would rather have a big dog. At the current time I only have a redbone hound Jed that I have had or should I say he has owned for 9 years. lol..... A harlequin Great Dane Mitsy that is 9 months old and is my life.. she is my giant baby..now this pup is so spoilt. I have a Boston Great Dane Male that is awesome. 195 lbs and 1 1/2 years old. Yes I love the great giants..

Muji
08-07-2000, 05:05 PM
Big dogs are great. We currently own a 68 lb greyhound and a 55 lb mutt (she's short but was supposed to be bigger). We were looking at getting an Irish Wolfhound, but were afraid they'd be too much for our daughter. In a few years when our daughter is bigger we'll probably get one.

RottieLover
08-23-2000, 09:55 PM
I love my rottie max, he's about 180 pounds & a big lap puppy.... I don't like small dogs the smallest dog I have is a Pointer/Pit bull mix.

Mouse's Mommy
08-28-2000, 12:42 PM
big dogs are the BEST!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif
my baby, Mouse, is a Weimaraner the first weim I have ever had and he is the most awesome dog I have ever had. He wandered up to my house 2 days after I moved in and has not left LOL not that I mind him staying at all. When he first came up he was full of ticks and fleas and weighted only 48 lbs http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif he was nothign but skin and bones I could count his ribs from 10 paces away. However, one look into those golden eyes and I was hooked for life. He I am a college student struggling to keep food on my own table but I would give anything for my weim, and I learned a few days ago he would do the same for me. I was walking to the post office and he was following me as par ussual, but ussually he stops at the edge of the field near my house and turns back but this day he followed me further. Well the post office is a 2 mile walk down the hyway and I was just walking minding my own buisness when this car swerved from the other side of the road onto the shoulder where I was and this really grundgy looking man jumped out and grabed at me. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif I did not even have time to scream before Mouse tackled the guy. he got a few good bites in before the guy got away and jumped in his car. Another car stoped and helped me but I am sure the guy would have hurt me if Mouse had not been there. He is my hero and I will love and adore him till the day I die. Weimaraners RULE!!

samowen
08-28-2000, 04:18 PM
I think big dogs are the best. I have a 6 stone(40 kg) long haired German Shepherd who is a big teddy bear. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/cool.gif

TigMode
08-31-2000, 05:45 AM
Add one more to the big dog column. Growing up the smallest dog we had was a beagle--who are big dogs trapped in small bodies!--but the rest were boxers, huskies and my baby, a Lab/Irish Setter/Shepherd/Husky mix who looked like a huge black Irish Setter with muscles. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Actually, she looked a lot like a Flat Coat Retriver, but more feathery and pretty like a setter. She broke my heart and passed away in May 99 at the age of 12. My dad was so lost that I went with him doen to the shelter and picked him out a black lab/pit mix who he named Sammy and is just a doll. They guessed he was about 7 months old but that it was hard to really tell because he was so malnourished. That little scrawny 32 pounder had become a big, strong 80 pounder after a year of love anbd kindness.

As soon as my husband and I get a house--knock on wood next fall--our first order of business is adopting a big slobbery dog of our own.

Rottie
09-12-2000, 08:26 PM
I'm a big dog person. I own a GSD and a Rottie. But, I think I could go with a small dog. All dogs are special!

SheltieLover234
09-13-2000, 05:42 PM
I like Big Dogs too There big,lovible,and cuddily I used to have a big German Shepard who we had to put to sleep because of Hip Displeasha at 12 years old

SheltieLover234
09-13-2000, 05:44 PM
The only thing wrong with big dogs are there hip promlems.

Sudilar
09-20-2000, 10:42 AM
Big dogs rule!! I have two rescued German Shepherd Dogs-1 male, 110lbs. and 1-female, 95lbs. I've also owned a Great Pyr and another large-boned GSD!
Su

Albea
10-05-2000, 11:27 AM
Here is one more vote for big dogs.My first Golden Retriever was 90 lbs.My second 85 lbs.
The one I have now is around 70 lbs.Her weight goes up and down depending on how many treats she had the week we go to the vet. I think the bigger they are, the more they believe they are lap dogs.

Bigdogluvr
10-05-2000, 06:01 PM
I love big dogs. In my opinion, little yappin ankle biters are almost worthless. I have 2 dogs, Jake (Doberman Pinscher) and Lucy (Rottweiler). The love and loyalty that those two dogs show are unmatched by anything I have ever seen. They are a pretty good burglar deterrent too. (Would you break into a house where a dobe and a rott lived?) If you are going to own a dog, may as well get one that's good for something.
But no matter how big they get, (Jake is about 90 lbs) they still think they will fit on your lap!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

lhg0962
10-06-2000, 11:23 AM
I sure do love my 2 Golden Retrievers. One is smaller, about 55 pounds, and the other is about 85 pounds! They are so special and loving. This morning, I went to wake up my 10 year old daughter, and there was Lilly with her head stretched across Helen's stomach, sleeping, with Honey at the foot of the bed. They are so protective and wonderful to have around. Yeah for Golden Retrievers! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Coach Carol
10-06-2000, 03:47 PM
My big yellow lab, Paris, was my first big dog - we got him from the pound and a sweeter, mush-face you'd never meet! Unfortunatly, at the grand age of 13 his kidneys failed and this past Sept. 5 we had to put him down - I miss his big bubba face. But, oddly enough - my Mom had a Shih Tzu dropped at her house (she's involved with animal rescue groups) and Nikki came to live with us back in May. My husband, who always swore that he'd never have a yappy, ankle biter is now in love - she's so happy and fluffly and sweet - always talking but rarely barks. I have clients that come to my home and Nikki just snuggles right up to them. With Cheyenne, my Choc. Lab at their feet and Nikki on their lap - we call them the therapy puppies. We'll get another Yellow Lab someday, but in the mean time my two girls help to mend our broken hearts - and they do a wonderful job.

------------------
Carol L. Lambe
Career & Personal Development Coach
Voice: (203) 746-7474
Fax: (203) 746-6883
Email: [email protected]

ownerof3dogs
10-18-2000, 06:32 PM
I also love big dogs I own a 120lb GSD/Akita mix, A Rotty/Alstralian Shphard mix who weights 100lb, and A Rotty/Border collie who weights 60lbs. Yep I love BIG dogs

blue_heeler
10-20-2000, 10:03 PM
I must say I am more partial to the bigger dogs. I have an Australian Shepherd/Blue heeler mix who is just a pup but will get bigger. I would love to have a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff). A Dogue de Bordeaux is the dog from the movie TURNER AND HOOCH. I also like Spanish mastiffs, Great danes, Greyhounds, Pit bull terriers, and Salukis.

Well, gots to go,
~~**RACHEL**~~

G_shepardlover
10-27-2000, 05:14 PM
I have 2 dogs.They are Drake(Lab)and Harley(great dane). But I still think G Spepards are the best!!!!!

Gots Ta Go
****G_Shepardlover****

G_shepardlover
I have 2 dogs.They are Drake(Lab)and Harley(great dane). But I still think G Spepards are the best!!!!!

Gots Ta Go
****G_Shepardlover****

G_shepardlover

Gots Ta Go
****G_Shepardlover****

shais_mom
11-04-2000, 07:43 PM
I went to the Humane Society about a year ago looking for a small dog, when this beautiful red fawn greyhound looked @ me such sweet eyes, my heart melted and 3 days later, she came home with me. She has such a sweet face that even when she is bad I can't be mad @ her!!! My mom can't understand why there is a house pony in her house when she visits! My dad jokes that he always wanted a horse but now he has one that can come in the house.
Shaianne loves to go riding in the car and takes up the whole back seat. She loves visiting grandpa's house and just spending time with grandpa and mom.
I never thought I would have a 65lb greyhound but now I can't imagine life without her!!

strawberry_puff13
11-19-2000, 12:38 PM
A big dog is my absolute favorite kind of dog, especially a Rottweiler and a German Shepherd!
Lara

[email protected]

mugsy
12-01-2000, 07:48 AM
This is Kendall2 in disguise (I'm at work). Since the last time I posted we have inherited yet another dog. We now have five. We added George (a hound mix)to the menagerie. So now Sox, Tigger, Shawna, and Jazzy have another brother. George was dumped in our neighbor's yard and they couldn't keep him because they have a very dog aggressive Amstaff, so we said we would keep him until the owner showed up...guess what? the owner never showed up!! lol So I guess I really do fit in the big dog category...George is supposed to be about 60-80 pounds full grown...he's 4 1/2 months now.

karen israel
12-01-2000, 09:37 AM
Kendall2...I'm telling ya...you are so awesome! I have my my hands full with one big boy..Wow! I really admire you! You must be a GREAT mom!

Kendall2
12-03-2000, 04:17 PM
Thanks karen for the vote of confidence, sometimes I question my sanity, but I wouldn't trade any of the 5 for anything, even when George eats my clothes and my shoes and and and!!! lol

nick
12-23-2000, 06:18 AM
Without doubt,the king of the dog kingdom is the English Mastiff.As a gift betwwen royalty in days gone by someone one said,"The English Mastiff is to the dog kingdom what the Loin is to the cat,and all others fall beneath it".The worlds heaviest dog is a English Mastiff and weighs a hefty 19 stone,As a pet you could not wish for a more loyal dog,both playful ana friendly,it is not as tempermental as other Mastiff breeds,yet would protect its owner with its life you could not wish for a better dog,yet everyone would think this about there dog!

ownerof3dogs
12-23-2000, 11:09 AM
what is a stone equal to in pounds?

Karen
12-23-2000, 12:40 PM
A stone equals 14 pounds, so a 19-stone dog is 226 pounds! Though I once knew a male St. Bernard, Baron, who beat that - he was a little pudgy, and was almost 300 pounds!

KYS
12-23-2000, 01:08 PM
posted by Karen:
A stone equals 14 pounds, so a 19-stone dog is 226 pounds! >>>>>>>

I have a co-worker with a mastif.
She weighs 200 lbs and is still growing
and growing. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif