PDA

View Full Version : Humane Society, Pet Shops, or Online Ads?

JohnH
09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
My last pet I got was from the humane society. But they were rather limited as far as selection. I think pet shops charge too much. I have been browsing the pet ads on craigslist.org and classifiedsbyzip.com but not sure if that's the way to go either. Just wondering what others thought about where the best place is to find a new pet.

beeniesmom
09-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Go to the humane society again! They get new animals every day. You can also check petfinder.com and put your zip code in. It tells you what's available in your area.

CountryWolf07
09-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Pet shelter! :)

My dogs were/are from animal shelters, rescue, and classified ad.

lvpets2002
09-25-2009, 11:51 AM
:) Local Pet Shelter or Pet Finder are both good.. My babies have come from both places..

k9krazee
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi JohnH, Welcome to PT!

In my opinion there are two places to aquire dogs.

1) If you're looking for the perfect pet and are not set on a certain breed/look - rescue is the way to go. There are lots of good dogs and puppies of every shape, age and color. I would recommend browsing petfinder.com, breed rescues, animal controls, humane societies, etc.

2) If you are looking for a dog to have a job (sports, conformation, etc), or "need" a specific breed I'd recommend a reputable breeder. This is not a person who has ads on the corkboard of the pet store or vet office. A reputable breeder , in a nutshell, is one who does health testing, titles their dogs, comes with a health gaurantee, and is breeding to better the breed. Generally reputable breeders charge $500-1500, but you get what you pay for.

Petshops are not a place to buy puppies. They're stocked with puppies from puppy mills and back yard breeders, not to mention super expensive.

Backyard breeders (BYBs) are usually the people that sell their puppies in the newspaper. They don't health test, show or attempt to better the breed. They throw together their dog and their friend's dog because they want the experience of having puppies. Puppymills and BYBs are the ones responsible for pet overpopulation, and I suggest you try to steer clear of both.

I don't really have a problem with aquiring dogs from craigslist/classifieds - if somebody is trying to rehome a dog and not selling litters. If somebody is advertising a litter or puppies on craiglist - chances are they're a BYB.

Good luck on the search! Personally, I think there's something special with rescued dogs. :love:

Freedom
09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
What K9Krazee said!

Plus --

If you are looking for a specific breed, every dog breed has a breed rescue. You can google to find them:
bichon rescue
dachshund rescue

Never, never buy a pet at a petstore.

lute
09-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I agree totally with k9krazee!

Never buy from a pet store! Pet stores shouldn't even be an option for getting a pet. I've never seen a healthy dog at a pet store. Even if they look happy and healthy at the store soon after you will find there are genetic issues, behavior problems, etc. The best way to help the pet store puppies is to not buy them. Someday they won't make a profit off the puppies anymore and will stop selling them.

Twisterdog
09-25-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with k9krazee.

Petfinder.com is a great place to start. You can search for a certain breed by location, even gender. So you can get a list of all female beagles for adoption, sorted by the closest to you. Couldn't be easier!

kokopup
09-25-2009, 10:28 PM
There is an exception to your "don't buy from pet shops" rule. We have a local Petco that partners with our local animal rescue to aid in the adoptiion of Dogs and Cats. They usually appear on one of our local network TV news shows as a regular show segment and then are available at Petco for adoption. This has been a very successful program in our area.

MonicanHonda
09-25-2009, 10:43 PM
We actually have a shop that just opened in the mall that only charges adoption fees and they get the dogs from surrounding humane societies. It's a great thing. :)

Karen
09-25-2009, 11:11 PM
We actually have a shop that just opened in the mall that only charges adoption fees and they get the dogs from surrounding humane societies. It's a great thing. :)

That IS a great thing! I wish that type of place were more common! :)

AllAmericanPUP
09-25-2009, 11:28 PM

but does that shop screen their adopters?

blue
09-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Keep an eye on your local forums, I see dogs, cats, even fish on a regular basis needing new homes.