PDA

View Full Version : Please keep Kiri in your thoughts.

Prairie Purrs
09-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Last week, Kiri had a very good checkup. On Monday I woke up to find her sniffling and sneezing. She's spent most of the time since then at the vet's, but even though it appears to be "just" a URI, she's getting worse instead of better.

She's 16 and frail, and she may not be able to shake this off. The thought of losing her is more than I can cope with, especially after losing Hagrid just a month ago and with Gatsby still day-to-day with his urinary tract problems.

Please let my Kiri girl get well. She's got a fragile body, but a fighting spirit.

lvpets2002
09-23-2009, 12:43 PM
:( Oh No Kiri = I am so sorry your sick.. Please get well soon wittle girl.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss.. Keep us posted..

katladyd
09-23-2009, 12:51 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with darling Kiri! Get well soon girl!:love:

Pinot's Mom
09-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Kiri, I know how hard it is to fight that thing you've got, my Mom said that was kind of like what I had, too when I was younger and really tiny in that place I came from. She worries every time I sneeze. I fought it off, and you can, too! Come on, Kiri, all the kitties in the Catmobile gang are pulling for you!:love:
Love,
Pinot

Barbara
09-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Sweet Kiri, I hope that you get over your UTI- your mom needs you!

Anikaca77
09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Prays coming for Kiri, I hope she feels better soon.

Melissa

Killearn Kitties
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Kiri sweetheart, listen to me, I'm talking to you.

We need you to be big and strong, and fight that nasty infection. Meowmie needs you very much. :love: You can do it, lovely girl.

Randi
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Dear Kiri, snuggle up in a warm place with your mom, and get better soon, sweetie! Some loving always helps. ;)

Fister and I are sending lots of good thoughts and kisses. :love:

Medusa
09-23-2009, 05:03 PM
How did I miss this thread, too? I'm sorry to just be catching this. Prayers are going up that Kiri will pull through this quickly, easily and in peace. Keep the faythe. :love:

Prairie Purrs
09-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Thank you all so much.

The vet thinks that Kiri seems a bit more comfortable today than yesterday, but she still isn't eating or drinking on her own. I spent quite awhile with her today, and she's still awfully congested.

I'll have to move her tomorrow from my local vet's clinic to another clinic about 10 miles away because the local vet is going out of town for several days. Maybe she'll improve overnight and I can just bring her home, but I'm not counting on that.

I hope her best friend Kacey will keep watch over her tonight from the RB.

Catty1
09-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Many prayers for Kiri...if she was at home, you could try 'steaming' her in the bathroom.

Come on, Kiri, you are a fighter - stay with your meowmie!:love:

krazyaboutkatz
09-24-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope that she'll start feeling better and will be able to eat and drink on her own very soon. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

kb2yjx
09-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Reminds me of when our Norton had the same thing. We fed him baby chicken food, because it smells....I had a vaporizer going near to him to help with the congestion. I also mix up some liquid gold seal for nose drops and that helped to open him up. If you do not have gold seal, try LITTLE NOSES,, it is sold at the grocery store...Will light a candle for Kiri!! Feel better soon....Sandra

happylabs
09-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Prayers for your sweet kitty.

Moesha
09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I do hope your dear Kiri perks up soon. I didn't see this thread yesterday either. Hugs being sent to you as well. What a terribly difficult time you are having lately.

Prairie Purrs
09-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers for Kiri girl.

The vet says she's about the same this morning. I'll be moving her to another clinic a little later today, so they can keep the fluids going and keep checking her for any complications. I just wish she'd show some sign that the infection is starting to subside.

allmycats
09-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm so sorry about your sick kitty:(

how is she today?

Killearn Kitties
09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Sending good thoughts that Kiri does will with her move. :love:

Prairie Purrs
09-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, the new vet ran tests for everything from brain tumors to pancreatitis and decided that . . . Kiri has a bad URI. Well, at least he's thorough.

She's still not eating, but she has been drinking a little. They're giving her something to try to clear out that congestion, and they'll reevaluate her in the morning.

She's not out of the woods, but if her nose clears up enough for her to want to eat, she should start to get better.

ETA: I had an interesting moment this morning. Last night I asked Kacey to watch over Kiri from the RB and give her some comfort if he could. They were adopted together and loved each other.

I keep my RB kitties' urns, including Kacey's, in a cubbyhole in the headboard of my bed, behind a little sliding door. The door doesn't slide easily. But this morning, that door was open a bit. I'd like to think that Kacey was letting me know that he was on the job.

cassiesmom
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Prayers for Kiri Kitty

Pinot's Mom
09-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Prayers from MD, too! Come on, Kiri! Pinot's with you, and so is Kacey from the Bridge! :love:

kb2yjx
09-25-2009, 07:35 AM
O YES!!! Kacey was letting you know!!!! I will light another candle for Kiri. Hope she is feeling better soon...

Prairie Purrs
09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Kiri isn't getting better (although she isn't getting worse), and the new vet is worried that she may have a drug-resistant bacterial infection. He's not sure she can fight it off.

She's on an IV, and the next couple of days will be very important. I know she's still fighting because she wanted some ear scritches when I visited her this afternoon. But the congestion won't go away, and she has no interest in eating.

I'm just heartsick at this point. The past two months have been a non-stop nightmare.

Catty1
09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh geez...I hope she can fight it off! Is there a vet school at some university your vet could check with to see if there are newer antibiotics?

Major prayers for Kiri and you! :love:

Barbara
09-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Oh no, I hope that this isn't true.
Have you considered simply taking her home. She would at least feel better and could get these scritchies whenever she needs them.

Prairie Purrs
09-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh no, I hope that this isn't true.
Have you considered simply taking her home. She would at least feel better and could get these scritchies whenever she needs them.

She needs the IV support (fluids and medication) if she's going to have any chance, so I have to keep her hospitalized. I wish she could come home, but I couldn't give her the level of care that she needs right now.

Medusa
09-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Oh I'm so sorry that Kiri just doesn't seem to be getting any better. Whatever this is really has a grip on her but we'll keep up the prayers and pump up the volume. (((HUGS))) to you. We know how difficult it can be to see our beloved furkids through a tough illness. Keep the faythe. :love:

K2QC
09-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Ok, not sure how many people here have heard about using ACV (apple cider vinegar) for pets.

This is NOT the clear ACV you buy in the grocery store, it is a "cloudy looking" liquid. I purchase it from my local vitamin store, GNC. There are a couple of brands out there, but GNC happens to carry the Bragg brand.

Anyway . . . I have used it on my two cats to help with their "runny eyes" they have (from time to time). It sounds STUPID . . . but it works. I take a cotton ball soaked in ACV, rub it into the scruff of the neck, then I drizzle a couple of drops on their front paws -- KNOWING, they'll scamper away from me as soon as I release my hold on them, they will go behind a chair somewhere and immediately lick their paws to get the foreign stuff off. Voila -- the cat has ingested the ACV and I didn't have to struggle getting it into them.

Here is an excerpt of a post where ACV was used for URI. I'll post the link to the site I found it on, too.

I'm thinking even though the vet is on the job, could/would it hurt to give ACV a dab????? All that matters is kitty gets better.

[BETTER BUT NOT CURED] 02/07/2009: Janet from Asheville, NC writes: "We adopted 2- 4mos old kittens which had just been fixed and treated with shots. we couldn't ask for better personality sisters but one immediately came down with terrible upper respiratory problems and runny eyes. I'm on day 3 of ACV treatment. It's worse when she wakes up and yesterday morning I almost broke down and brought her to the vet but I did the ACV to the neck and paws and dropped some diluted ACV in her mouth and she became much more spunky within an hour. I also have been putting some colloidal silver in the water and using an eyedropper to give her some ascorbic acid and lysine but I'm not sure if its enough to help. I also put some organic virgin coconut oil on their paws once a day. They seem to enjoy licking that off and the vinegar.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acv_for_cats.html

kb2yjx
09-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I am sad to read your update on Kiri!!! You are right, even though you want your girl at home, she is better at the vet. Mega prayers for you both, and will light another candle!!!

mrspunkysmom
09-26-2009, 10:37 AM
I hope Kiri gets better.

kb2yjx
09-27-2009, 07:42 AM
How is Kiri today?

Prairie Purrs
09-27-2009, 09:43 AM
How is Kiri today?

Thanks for asking about my little girl. She's still at the vet's, and I can't visit her today because the clinic is closed. She'll be watched, though.

Yesterday she was the same. Still not wanting to eat, although she sniffed the food a couple of times. She's obviously uncomfortable, and yet she's still fighting this thing. The vet said that she's been up and meowing on a couple of occasions, and he was encouraged by that. He's going to try yet another antibiotic.

She may have an intestinal disturbance in addition to the respiratory problems--she's got a lot of gas and has vomited a couple of times. I left a message for the vet this morning to tell him that one of my other cats (Gatsby) is showing signs of an intestinal bug, although neither he nor anybody else is having respiratory issues.

I hope poor Gatsby doesn't get a bad case of whatever this is. He's already on antibotics because of his ongoing URI problem, but starting yesterday he hasn't eaten as much as usual, he's thrown up twice, and he's had one bout of nasty diarrhea. Despite that, he's acting like his usual affectionate self, so I'm not frantic yet. If he's not over it by tomorrow, off he goes to the clinic where Kiri's hospitalized to see whether they can figure this out.

krazyaboutkatz
09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm glad that Kiri is still fighting and I sure hope that she'll pull through. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

I'm sorry to hear that now Gatsby is showing signs of illness.:( Do your cats all eat the same kind of food? If so then maybe it has something to do with that. Prayers and positive thoughts are also on the way for Gatsby.

Prairie Purrs
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Do your cats all eat the same kind of food?

No, Gatsby has been eating s/d dry and c/d canned prescription food since early August because of his urinary tract issues. He has his own room, so he doesn't have any access to the other cats' food, and they don't have any access to his. Kiri and the others eat Pinnacle, Merrick, Instinct, and Homestyle. So I don't think that food is the culprit.

So far Gatsby isn't having serious problems. I suppose it's possible that his current antibiotic is causing an upset tummy, but he'd been taking it for several days without any trouble.

kb2yjx
09-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Prayers continue for Kiri, and now will add Gatsby, too!!! HUGS!!!!!!!

Prairie Purrs
09-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Barring a miracle, I'll be letting my darling Kiri go tomorrow. Antibiotics aren't having any effect on the infection, and B-vitamin and steroid injections haven't done anything to stimulate her appetite. She's fought so hard, but she's so tired. I can't ask her to do more.

My sweet tabby girl. I'm just heartsick.

Catty1
09-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear this.

PT Prayers for a miracle...a real miracle. Your poor baby, and poor you.

{{{{hugs}}}}:love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
09-30-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I'll also be praying for a PT miracle. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Medusa
09-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Oh no, I hope it doesn't come to this but if it does, we'll be w/you every step of the way in spirit. You're doing right by Kiri either way. (((HUGS))) :love:

Barbara
09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm so sorry- but you will know whether it is time or not.
Hugs!

Taz_Zoee
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
LES

I am so sorry to hear this. I have only been through this once and I don't know how I'll handle it when I have to do it again (hopefully many years from now).

You and Kiri are in my thoughts. And I hope Gatsby is getting better.

Prairie Purrs
10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
My brave and beautiful tabby girl was PTS late yesterday afternoon. She just couldn't fight anymore. Her passing was extraordinarily peaceful.

I'll post her memorial later today. Right now I need to go cry a little more.

Barbara
10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I am so sorry to hear this :(
Now there will be a tabby reunion at Rainbow Bridge as Tigris and Peony will be standing there with some catnip for sweet Kiri.

Catty1
10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm so sorry. {{{{hugs}}}}

smokey the elder
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm so sorry about precious Kiri.

katladyd
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I am so sorry! I hurts to lose them and that is all there is to it. Know that you have people on this site sharing your pain and wishing Kiri Godspeed to the Bridge.:love::love:

Pinot's Mom
10-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm so sorry about Kiri - I was away last week and didn't see this. :(

I know Kiri is playing pain free at the Bridge and will be waiting for you. Peace to you and all who loved Kiri.

mrspunkysmom
10-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Kiri.

kittykatharine
10-11-2009, 09:17 AM
It breaks my heart to hear about poor Kiri. I am so sorry - at least you know she is reunited with her adopted best friend, and they are together forever. My heart goes out to you and your family.