PDA

View Full Version : Possible fever?

JustineNYC
09-22-2009, 11:34 AM
My little guy Mowglie acted a little funny this morning.

I heard him come charging down the stairs, jet into the kitchen, and jump on top of the cabinets. He has play fits sometimes so I figured thats what he was doing. When I saw him, he was licking himself angrily and scratching at his ears, twitching, etc.

The last time he did this, I ran him into the vet, and he had a fever. They told me the fur twitching, scratching, licking was because he was uncomfortable. Sure enough after a week on antibiotics, he was fine.

Prior to that I tried to touch him and he hissed and started panting. His nose and ears were also very hot.

Anyway, I got a can of cat food to see if he wanted to eat and he came right down to eat and became very nice. Hes eaten twice, and Ive put him up in our bonus room and made it very cool in there.

I also have Clavamox, so I have given him a dose for 12 hours.

Now for the past 2 hours, hes been fine. I went in to check on him and he is swatting the pool balls around on the pool table.

His nose is cool again, his tongue is pink, and he is eating and playing, no more heavy breathing or panting. I guess Im asking if I should just watch him.

I know ears and nose arent the best way to diagnose a fever, but last year, this was the exact way he behaved when he had one.

I recently brought a new lab (whom Mowglie is afraid of) into the home because I started to foster for a local rescue, so Im thinking maybe the fever was brought on by stress.

catmandu
09-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Poor Little Mowglie may be afraid of that big Dog, although Labs have a good reputation as being the most Cat friendly of Dogs!
:love::love:
We pray its nothing serious as we LOVE Little Mowglie at the Found Cat Hotel!!!
:love::love::love:

kb2yjx
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I know this may sound mean, but I think you should NOT foster the dog, if it upsets your cat that much....

JustineNYC
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Unfortunately if I dont foster, the Labs who are healthy, will be put down because there is no room for them. My home is large enough that I have given the cats upstairs (4 bedrooms), and the dogs downstairs. And then at night, when the dog goes in her crate, the cats can go anywhere they like.

None of the labs we pull are aggressive, but some of them have never seen cats because they lived outside and were never socialized.

I dont know what the heck was wrong with him, but hes fine now. Rubbing my leg looking to eat.

kitten645
09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
I happen to agree about the dogs. However, back to topic, I always check my boys nose to see if they are wet and cold. I have had Calvin have a bad reaction to a shot once and he acted much as you say Mowglie did. I think if he seems fine now with the anitbiotic you gave him, he'll be fine. Just watch him and what goes in (and comes out!:rolleyes:) of him.
Claudia

allmycats
09-24-2009, 07:31 PM
:Dglad he's better:D