PDA

View Full Version : Baby Common Snapper - gonna foster him! :D

ramanth
09-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Walking back up to the apartment with the dogs, I nearly stepped on a baby snapper curled up in the parking lot.

He was encrusted in dirt, eyes closed, barely moving. I was surprised as it's very late in the year for hatchlings. I didn't want him to die alone or suffer, so I brought him in and placed him in a little tub and about a half hour later he started wobbling around.

His right eye won't open and his left eye opens only a little. Very tiny. Size of a quarter.

My mom thinks it'll be okay to keep him during the winter and let him go in the spring. Or should I just stick him outside and let fate have him.

Whadda think?

*edit* Decided to keep him safe, warm, and fed until next Spring/Summer.

Karen
09-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I'd keep him and feed him and fatten him up over the winter, and then release him next spring once the weather is warm. It's not his fault he was hatched so late in the season - we usually see baby snappers in the spring, but he's very vulnerable at this size. He's a snapper, so it's not like he's gonna "imprint" much on you like a duckling would - they seem to pretty much come with all instructions included.

I suppose, to be responsible, you could call the local Audubon Society ...

ramanth
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I called a friend who has a snapper and he agreed it's very late in the year for a hatchling. Little guy still has his egg tooth and umbilical cord spot. :eek:

He raised his snapper from a baby and gave some good tips and advice. We'll get the aquarium set up. Keep him warm and fat until spring and then let him go. :)

Wish us luck!

Here's Snappy..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0399.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0401.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0403.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0404.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0406.jpg

lvpets2002
09-22-2009, 12:55 PM
:love: Awee hello there Snappy.. Yes wittle one you are a very late blommer.. Yes stay warm & well fed there until spring..

ramanth
09-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Temp home
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0407.jpg

Investigating
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0408.jpg

Submerged
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0409.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/IMG_0410.jpg

Catty1
09-22-2009, 03:52 PM
He is so CUTE!!!!!:D:love:

k9krazee
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Good for you for keeping little Snappy safe for the winter! He's very cute and I hope he thrives in your care! :love:

CountryWolf07
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
How cute is Snapper?! Kudos to you watching over him until spring - You did the right thing. He is SO tiny!

ramanth
09-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks! :D

Medusa
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I :love: PTers!

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Or should I just stick him outside and let fate have him.

Whadda think?

*edit* Decided to keep him safe, warm, and fed until next Spring/Summer.

>shakes head<
:rolleyes:

As if there was really ever a question about him. :p

How many trips out to the parking lot have you made *looking* for siblings?

:D

ramanth
09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
>shakes head<
:rolleyes:

As if there was really ever a question about him. :p

How many trips out to the parking lot have you made *looking* for siblings?

:D

:o I know, I know....

I've made two trips looking for siblings. Not a trace.

Karen
09-22-2009, 05:08 PM
It is possible that he, like Panzer, the baby snapping turtle we raised one year for a while, was "wrong-way turtle" and all the rest of the siblings made it to water safely. Panzer was found in Paul's mom's yard, headed in the only direction that would NOT take him to water.

He lived in a tank with our fish, but tragically died from overeating (we think) when one on the Mollies had babies. The reason we came to that conclusion? That time, we thought she had about six babies ... the next time, though, with no turtle around, she had about 40 ...

ramanth
09-22-2009, 05:13 PM
It's possible! I even wondered it maybe a bird tried to make a snack of him and dropped him in the parking lot.

kokopup
09-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Cute turtle for sure. I think it is probably just a common snapper though. Unless you found yours in the coastal gulf area of the US it is probably not an Alligator snapper. Does it have a built in soft danglie bait looking thing in it's mouth. With baby turtles it is hard to tell the difference but since you live in Michigan I think it is just a plan snapper.

lizbud
09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Poor little critter. I'm glad you found him & decided to keep him/her safe.:)

Karen
09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Cute turtle for sure. I think it is probably just a common snapper though. Unless you found yours in the coastal gulf area of the US it is probably not an Alligator snapper. Does it have a built in soft danglie bait looking thing in it's mouth. With baby turtles it is hard to tell the difference but since you live in Michigan I think it is just a plan snapper.

He's got a far pointier snout than the "regular" snappers I have seen ...

ramanth
09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I have seen adult Alligator snappers here. So they are around. :D

Via Wikipedia:
Alligator snappers are opportunistic carnivores more often at a young age, but are also scavengers. In northern states such as Michigan young hatchlings will live off of plants also, such as water lettuce and other floating grass, shrub, and flower-like organisms. They usually obtain this behavior when food is scarce or when it is early in the summer months.

Mating takes place yearly; early spring in the southern part of their total range, and later spring in the north.

It is possible he's a Common... he just seems more Alligatorish to me. :D

kitten645
09-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I concur with Medusa. I :love: PT'rs! Hearts of gold:love: Thanks for taking care of this wee one.
Claudia

kokopup
09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
While I value wikipedia as a source of information you must realize that it is edited and published by individuals like you and I. All information in Wikipedia is not accurate.

There are instances where the Alligator Snapper was found in Michigan and it was noted as a Nonindigenous occurances.

Interactive maps: Continental US, Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean

Nonindigenous Occurrences: M. temminckii was captured from the Reflecting Pool, in the Mall area of Washington, D.C., in August 1994 (Katz, 1994).

In the St. Joseph River, Berrien County, Michigan, M. Brazo (personal communication 1999) found an alligator snapping turtle in 1999.

In Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, a M. temminckii was observed at Papago Park Ponds in 1987 and 1991 (M. Demlong, personal communication 1997).

A M. temminckii was collected near Elk Grove, Sacramento County, California (Bury and Luckenbach, 1976).

Means of Introduction: Unknown; but in all cases pet releases should be suspected.

Status: Inexplicably, the alligator snapping turtle found in Washington, D.C., was scheduled to be "relocated" to Roosevelt Island or in waters along the George Washington Parkway, D.C., according to Park Ranger E. Broadbent (in Katz, 1994); not established, but still well away from its indigenous range.

Macrochelys temminckii collected from Michigan and California, and observed in Arizona are probably individual releases or escapees, and not known to represent breeding populations.

If you indeed have a Alligator snapper it is really rare. It needs to be reported.

K9karen
09-22-2009, 11:24 PM
You and Andy rock, Kimmy.

Snapper is lucky you found him. I think he's in good hands. He may never want to leave, :p

blue
09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Raise it, and train to protect all your stuffs!

Barbara
09-23-2009, 05:28 AM
I had no idea what an aligator snapper is - so I am glad you posted pics. He/she ( is thre a way to tell that?) is absolutely cute and so lucky to have found you :)

Medusa
09-23-2009, 05:42 AM
My son and friends had better never make fun of me and my rescue escapades again! LOL

cloverfdx
09-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Great save Kimmy :D. He/ she is adorable :love:. Goodluck, hopefully the little one grows up big and strong over the cooler months.

ramanth
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Barbara, it's near impossible to sex at this young. At least, I don't think you could properly probe them when they are this small. :o :eek:

They say boys have fatter tails, but probing is more accurate but should only be done by professionals.

Mary, LOL!!

Found a cool site on the differences between Common and Alligator snappers.

http://www.chelydra.org/common_alligator_snapping_turtle.html

Been trying to find hatchling photos online and so many photos are mislabled (same photo stating it's a Common and an Alligator), I don't have anything to compare too.

But despite the really rugged shell and pointy nose, I think due to his wee long neck, I have a Common. But time will tell I guess. He's still just Snappy to me. :D :love:

ramanth
09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
He's a Common! :D

This story sounds familier. ;)

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/snappy.htm

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/babyphoto.htm#snapper

king2005
10-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd keep him and feed him and fatten him up over the winter, and then release him next spring once the weather is warm. It's not his fault he was hatched so late in the season - we usually see baby snappers in the spring, but he's very vulnerable at this size. He's a snapper, so it's not like he's gonna "imprint" much on you like a duckling would - they seem to pretty much come with all instructions included.

I suppose, to be responsible, you could call the local Audubon Society ...

Karen it is NEVER recommend to do such a thing. Once the turtle is with a human for more then 1-2 weeks, it is permanently a pet & cannot be released. They need to live in the wild from day 1 in order to build up immunities to things in the water. Tap water cannot provide that & releasing him is certain death. Not to mention its more then likely highly illegal to release them & might be even more illegal if he is considered a pest in that area.

If the turtle is being kept over the winter, it needs a permanent home with someone who can house him when he grows into a beast. Not saying he'll be aggressive, as you all know Axle is anything but aggressive *kisses his nose*.

That Common Snapping Turtle can grow to 50lbs+. They need a min of 300gal tank when fully grown. If overfed you can cause it's liver & other organs to prematurely fail due to over use. In captivity you can expect 25-30yrs maybe a little less, maybe much more. Shouldn't be less then 20yrs (unless the turtle has natural issues)! They need a lot of veggies in their diet, meat, organs, & bone. In simple terms a whole mouse/fish/rat (fish being best & more natural. too much red meat isn't good). The owner needs to be prepared for a VERY aggressive pet. They can bite much faster then you can move & they don't let go.

In my opinion you should have left it outside, but moved it to a better area, as most do not make good pets & most people don't/can't take care of one properly as they get too big & too aggressive.

king2005
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM

It's a Common Snapping Turtle. Looks nothing like an Ally Snapper.

king2005
10-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I had no idea what an aligator snapper is - so I am glad you posted pics. He/she ( is thre a way to tell that?) is absolutely cute and so lucky to have found you :)

There are 3 Snappers

Common
Ally
Florida

king2005
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
sorry if I sound rude or anything, but these are my specialty & I have great respect for them. So many are killed for a stupid myth & the numbers are horribly low up here & soon (unless already, haven't looked it up in a while) will be listed as a Threatened species. I had to educate the OSPCA & Toronto Zoo on this species as they didn't know the proper care or much about them. Not to mention the OSPCA didn't know the laws on them. sad eh?