PDA

View Full Version : Forever home!

Glacier
10-04-2002, 11:24 PM
I wasn't on this board when this story began, but I wanted to share it anyway.

This beautiful big malamutt is Summit and for several months she was one of my foster dogs.
http://www.humanesocietyyukon.ca/summit_julysml.jpg

She made it very clear that she was not meant to be a pack dog She was extremely dog aggressive and would escape from her area just to beat up another dog. With nine others around at the time, we just couldn't have that. Goldie would shake every time she saw Summit and Kayleigh suffered an eight inch gash across her neck that needed emergency surgery. After much discussion with the shelter we foster for, it was decided that they would try and find her a one dog home and we would take Delta and Antare (who fit in a pack much better).

I stayed involved with Summit and went to visit and walk her several times a week. I told the shelter that if they ever decided she was unadoptable, I would be the one to take her to that final vet appointment.

Today I went in to walk her at lunchtime. I knew she would want to play in the snow and the shelter administrator asked if I could come back tonight and help send her off to the PERFECT forever home. :D He's young, single, does lots of hiking, no other pets, no kids, big fenced dog run out in the boonies and has even owned another similar dog in the past who is now at the bridge. He showed up at the shelter with a brand new leather collar, leash, treats and toys. Summit filled the back seat of his little car!

It was so great to see her get the wonderful home she deserves. He's promised to keep us updated on her. Have a great life Summit!

ramanth
10-05-2002, 01:25 AM
Horray Summit!!!!! Have a wonderful life! :D

ChrisH
10-05-2002, 06:46 AM
That is just wonderful! :D And she looks so beautiful. :) Thank you for sharing, and please tell us about any updates too.

Rachel
10-05-2002, 08:42 AM
When I started reading this story I was sure it would have an unhappy ending. WOW, what a surprise. How wonderful that even a challenging dog can have another chance. With the one on one attention and unconditional love, Summit's attitude toward other dogs surely can be improved and in due time altered. Congratulations on being a part of this HAPPY BEGINNING of a new life for Summit.

sasvermont
10-05-2002, 08:58 AM
Wow, what a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us! It made my day.

:D

KYS
10-05-2002, 09:31 AM
I am so happy Summit found the right home.
Her new owner knows what he is getting into and
this is a tremendous help.
Sounds like a perfect match with a happy ending. :)

Thanks so much in sharing.

lovemymaltese
10-05-2002, 04:25 PM
What a beautiful dog, love that coat!

tatsxxx11
10-05-2002, 04:29 PM
What a beautiful story, so beautifully told. I don't think I will ever lose that image of Summit and his forever Dad, riding off into the sunset, toys, treats in tow!!:) Wonderful!

Cookiebaker
10-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Wow! That is such a great story!! Another happy camper!! That story just made my day...:D

Cincy'sMom
10-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Glad the story has a hapy end! Enjoy your new home Summit!

Twisterdog
10-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Yeah! That's great news!

Actually, one of my foster was adopted this week, also. Jazz (the most clingy, needy, velcro dog ever!) found a home with a stay-at-home mom who home-schools her daughter. The grandparents also live with them. Perfect for Jazz! :)

I've got ten in the house right now ... and, of couse, poor Sparky in the kennel. :( I don't know if he'll ever find a home.

Just making sure you are not getting down lower than I am ... that simply won't do! ;)

Glacier
10-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Just making sure you are not getting down lower than I am ... that simply won't do! ;)

Still at 11 here LOL, Three fosters and the eight permanent residents..but I think Hubs is thinking about keeping Goldie, one of the fosters. He made some comment the other day about not letting her go to anyone except his father--who I don't think wants a dog right now! She's useless as a sled dog--very bow legged, but she's a doll. Every musher needs a pet too right??:D

Karen
10-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
I wasn't on this board when this story began, but I wanted to share it anyway.
It was so great to see her get the wonderful home she deserves. He's promised to keep us updated on her. Have a great life Summit!

Oh, yay! Congratulations, Summit and her new owner! Gosh she's a beauty - I bet it was love at first sight on his part, hopefully on hers, too. And he hikes - so maybe Summit will hike some summits with him! ;)

P.S. I'm jealous - you have snow already!

Sudilar
10-06-2002, 10:15 PM
So glad Summit found his forever home. He is a gorgeous dog!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-07-2002, 06:15 AM
So glad that Summitt found a forever home! Her new owner and his lifestyle sound perfect for her type. And three cheers for you for taking good care of her and seeing her through to the very end :)

Congrats to Twisterdog's Jazz on finding a new home as well.