PDA

View Full Version : Advice - I'm late :`(

king2005
09-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm just shy of being 2 months late so I'm really starting to freak out (in my head).. I'll be going to the Dr. soon to get checked out so thats not what I need advice on.

IF (I really hope not) I am preg. ummm... how should I tell him, my family, my boss? My good friend is REALLY touchy as she & her hubby have been having no luck at having kids & shes becoming flustered & spiteful towards people who are getting preg & didn't want kids... so I'd have no idea on how to tell her. She wont hate me, but its just another slap in her face & I care a lot about her & her issue.

No worries about abortion I'm not into it esp since my chances are so low to have kids I was told not to have my heart set on any. Which was fine as I'm not really into having kids or being a mother. If it happen, ok, I'll be th ebest mom ever, but if I don't I'm fine with that too.

I'm NOT going to say anything to anyone yet cause I don't know & I don't want anyone to freak out & yell at me, I think me freaking out is 1 too many.. But I've never been late like this. Sure 1 week late is normal, but I haven't had one since the beginning of July :(

I know Trevor will be supportive as hes a HUGE family guy, but I don't think he wanted kids this soon (he's 25), esp this soon in our relationship (2.5 months). So its really bad timing.

On the positive I have a full time job with full benefits & legally have the right to 1yr off with pay. But still :(

This so sucks!

Cataholic
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I would do nothing, tell no one, and go get a pregnancy test to relieve your own mind. If you ARE pregnant, I would make sure you are immediately doing all that you can- eating, vitamins, etc, to give your baby the very best start in life.

I would not begin imagining the next day, month, year, etc, until you know what is going on. Even then, I would take it slowly with distributing the news. There is plenty of time to tell people, you would have another strong 6 months, at least. :)

Go get a pregnancy test.

Husky_mom
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
it should all be fine.. even if it was not planned it all sounds like you have it all set up ;)...

lol..I was gonna say one week is quite on normal happened to me.. I wished i was but I wasnīt ... but two months is more likely you are missy.. hehe.. unless thereīs some medical issue which i hope not...

touchy subject with your friend... but I knwo sheīll be alright.. a lil frustrated but alright....Iīve been frustrated for so long now Iīll just let it be

before you talk to anyone get confirmation by the doctor.. then talk to Trevor... and youīll have time to introduce the news to everyone else..donīt worry...

pomtzu
09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
First of all, I would get a home pregnancy test and see what that indicates, altho I'm not sure that they are 100% accurate. You say you're going to the doctor soon - why are you waiting? You might not be preg at all, and it could be some other underlying medical problem that might need taken care of.

I wouldn't spazz about it till you know for sure if it's a yes or a no.

If it's a yes, then it's a precious gift that you have been given, and you need to approach how you will deal with it. If you didn't want to get preg in the first place - why didn't you take preventative measures? It's too late to close the door after the horse gets out.....:(

king2005
09-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I really do need someone to slap me so I can think properly & calm down...

First of all, I would get a home pregnancy test and see what that indicates, altho I'm not sure that they are 100% accurate. You say you're going to the doctor soon - why are you waiting? You might not be preg at all, and it could be some other underlying medical problem that might need taken care of.

I wouldn't spazz about it till you know for sure if it's a yes or a no.

If it's a yes, then it's a precious gift that you have been given, and you need to approach how you will deal with it. If you didn't want to get preg in the first place - why didn't you take preventative measures? It's too late to close the door after the horse gets out.....:(

Those home tests can be junk, thats why I'm going to the Dr.

Please don't question my preventative methods, thats really not fair as there is only so much that can be done before it becomes permanent & rendered 100% infertile.. thats not my goal, esp since I accept the consequences... but that doesn't mean I have to be thrilled about it. ;)

AdoreMyDogs
09-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Not sure if Canada has Dollar Stores, but go there for a test if they do...they're only a buck and just as good as the expensive full priced ones in the other stores. They're something like 99% accurate so $1 is not a bad price to pay to find out what's going on. They may not be totally accurate, but 99% is close enough to being accurate.

pomtzu
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Those home tests can be junk, thats why I'm going to the Dr.

Please don't question my preventative methods, thats really not fair as there is only so much that can be done before it becomes permanent & rendered 100% infertile.. thats not my goal, esp since I accept the consequences... but that doesn't mean I have to be thrilled about it. ;)

There are numerous effective and safe methods of birth control. I was just giving you my input and opinion, since you did ask. Sorry if I offended you.

king2005
09-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Not sure if Canada has Dollar Stores, but go there for a test if they do...they're only a buck and just as good as the expensive full priced ones in the other stores. They're something like 99% accurate so $1 is not a bad price to pay to find out what's going on. They may not be totally accurate, but 99% is close enough to being accurate.

I saw those once (never again) in a dollar store with my friend. We laughed & took pictures. They looked to be in terrible shape & horrid quality.. to the point of not even being worth a dollar. I would be too scared to trust one of those. They looked like the ones from the rejected bin. Maybe the ones in the USA are better? but my goodness those ones should have been burned! :eek:

wait... maybe they are the 1% sticks? :D ;)

Just posting this is making me feel more relaxed.

sparks19
09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
they may not be 100% accurate... but what do you have to lose by taking one? It might give you some sort of idea before you can get into the doctors.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree, you should buy a home pregnancy test. From what I know of home pregnancy tests, false positives are extremely rare, so if it says you are pregnant, you most likely are. If you get a negative result, you can still go to the doctor to get checked out. I hope things work out for you.

Husky_mom
09-18-2009, 04:24 PM
when I suspected I was preg.. I took a home pregnancy test...
I knew it was positive.. but it was so faint it was almost as a negative one looked like (al least the brand i got showed as negative being tjust like what I got).. anyway went to the doctor to confirm I was positive... blood test.. eek..

keep us posted for any news...

JenBKR
09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
****SLAP**** Better? ;)

Sorry to hear about this. Go and get a home pregnancy test - unless you request a blood test that's what they will probably do at the doctor's anyway. They are very accurate. I'd still see the doctor no matter what the test says, but it's good to know sooner rather than later. As Pembroke_Corgi said, false positives are rare. And of course, keep us up to date! You know you can PM me if you need to talk.

Puckstop31
09-18-2009, 05:57 PM
What everybody else said.

Plus, when Tanya confirmed she was pregnant, we were scared to death. Granted, I had the easy part, but still... We did not think we were ready. But now, its the scariest thing in my life, but it is also, FAR, FAR and away our greatest joy.

Really great things often come when we are scared or expecting things to go wrong. :) (I reckon I need to apply this to my world view.... LOL)

Good Luck!

Sirrahsim
09-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Go get a home test, better yet get 2 or 3. If you are almost 8 weeks LATE and they read negative then you are more than likely NOT pregnant. If any of them are positive, you more than likely ARE pregnant and need to get some prenatal care asap.
Either way, going 8 weeks without a period is not normal for most women. If your periods are usually normal then you need to see a doctor to find out what has messed up your cycle.

Queen of Poop
09-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Go get the darn home test!!!!

They're much better quality these days.

Go, now. We'll wait........

king2005
09-28-2009, 09:34 AM
I took the test last week & it came up negative & the stupid clinic told me to see MY Dr. Great.. i don't have a farken Dr. in this City.

I'm still late & for the past month I've felt weird.. like I'm gonna get my period everyday but it never comes? Its kinda like that feeling you get when your gonna sneeze & it never comes & it drives you nuts & you don't feel satisfied.. well I kinda feel like that, but not in my nose LOL

I'm trying to find a Dr. that speaks english in my area & so far there are a lot of non-English speaking Dr. :mad: I need someone with a slight to no accent cause if it's strong I wont understand them (hearing issue) *pulls out hair*

I'm less stressed now as I feel like I've lifted that huge weight off my shoulders by just talking on here.. but I'm slightly stressed. BUT just encase I upped my veggie intake to up my vitamin intake. I'm not a pill popper unless I have to be. I can eat any food that I need to get the vitamins I require. For 2 I just need to eat more veggies.

I made a HUGE pot of Veggie Soup. Beets, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Squash, & Broccoli. I blended & mixed it all together.. it's really good & full of awesome vitamins! The Sweet Potatoes adds a little sugar to make it more tasty! It's thick just like whipped potato, however it's red cause of the beets lol

I'm not big into processed doo doo food, & I'm allergic to a lot of chemicals, so I should be good to go.. just encase.. but even if I'm not & my body is just playing a trick on me, I eat like this all the time anyways :)

Husky_mom
09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
take another test.. there might be a case of a false negative... maybe your hormone levels are a bit low...

but a blood test should confirm it better... and in case you really are negative the dr. appointment is right in order... you better get yourself checked just to be sure itīs nothing else messing with you period...

king2005
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
take another test.. there might be a case of a false negative... maybe your hormone levels are a bit low...

but a blood test should confirm it better... and in case you really are negative the dr. appointment is right in order... you better get yourself checked just to be sure itīs nothing else messing with you period...

I'll take another test while I hunt for a Dr. another negative is gonna start to freak me out cause so far I'm the ONLY female that hasn't had any sort of "Female Cancer" on my mom's side (just my tree).. soo now I'm starting to worry about that :( My dad's side is Cancer free. His dad had cancer but we gave that to himself & I highly doubt that genetics had anything to do with it. My dad's family only had high blood pressure, BUT once again those individuals did it to themselves.

My grandma had it in her 50's & had EVERYTHING removed, it was bad apparently. Rotting or something
My mom had it in her 30's & had everything removed.
My sister had it when she was 18 but it was only cirvical & she's been clean since.
Me :confused: :( ... so this is one reason I'd be totally cool if I was preg. I'd rather be preg then have cancer & get everything ripped out & be 100% infertile... argg...

Cataholic
09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
In the US, we have health clinics, Planned Parenthood, city clinics, etc. It is a very simple blood test here. Doesn't Canada have something similar? My fear would be that you ARE pregnant and not taking prenatals, or eating properly.

king2005
09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
In the US, we have health clinics, Planned Parenthood, city clinics, etc. It is a very simple blood test here. Doesn't Canada have something similar? My fear would be that you ARE pregnant and not taking prenatals, or eating properly.

I know it's a simple blood test & was kinda shocked they told me to see my Dr. I thought the clinics did that stuff... well the ones on Ottawa did... they also made you pee in a cup too (had to do this to renew medication through a clinic)... I know race can be a big issue here in the city so sometimes its really hard to find a Dr. My last Dr. here in the city was a nightmare! After 1 visit I downright refused to let her near me again, horrid ignorant woman she was! Now that I think of it.. all 5 Dr. I had to deal with here in the city were really bad (dumb, ignorant, down right racist). :(

oh how I wish I was in Ottawa right about now.

JenBKR
09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh Jess, at least the test came up negative. You might want to try another one, and take it first thing in the morning. I'm surprised that the clinic told you to see your doctor too. Do you have any pregnancy clinics in your area? I don't know if it's the same there but I know that we have free clinics where you can get tested and counseling if needed. Good luck ((((hugs))))

king2005
09-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh Jess, at least the test came up negative. You might want to try another one, and take it first thing in the morning. I'm surprised that the clinic told you to see your doctor too. Do you have any pregnancy clinics in your area? I don't know if it's the same there but I know that we have free clinics where you can get tested and counseling if needed. Good luck ((((hugs))))

To be honest, I have no idea. I'll have to look it up tonight.

Karen
09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
There are lots and lots of reasons you might miss a period or three, but going to the doctor is the best thing to do at this point. Many of them do not involve cancer, or pregnancy, but all are good to get checked out, and to know for sure. Be persistent in finding yourself a doc whom you can understand and vice versa, though at this point, even an appointment with someone with an accent who might have an assistant handy to "translate" would be acceptable, just to get an appointment and a diagnosis.

And of course, eating more veggies is always good. I'm jealous, I am allergic to so many veggies now!

king2005
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
There are lots and lots of reasons you might miss a period or three, but going to the doctor is the best thing to do at this point. Many of them do not involve cancer, or pregnancy, but all are good to get checked out, and to know for sure. Be persistent in finding yourself a doc whom you can understand and vice versa, though at this point, even an appointment with someone with an accent who might have an assistant handy to "translate" would be acceptable, just to get an appointment and a diagnosis.

And of course, eating more veggies is always good. I'm jealous, I am allergic to so many veggies now!

If I can't find an English Dr. this week, I'll lower my standards for next week for someone with a bad accent, but friendly.

I don't think I could live without veggies! I love them sooo much! On the 24th I'm going to St. Jacobs with a group of 30~50 & we're hitting the Menanite (SP?) Market. I plan to buy tons of Zucchini, Butter Nut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, & Beets! I'll stock pile all the stuff Digi can eat & will freeze it. I can get 20 MASSIVE Zucchini for 5$ there! Thats a crazy savings! I just hope I get my freezer in time

Asiel
09-28-2009, 02:31 PM
There are many nurse practitioners in your area. Why not try to see one untill you find a doctor. I wouldn't rely on a home pregnancy test if you're not feeling well on top of everything else. If there is an underlying issue it should be looked after as soon as possible.

king2005
09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
There are many nurse practitioners in your area. Why not try to see one untill you find a doctor. I wouldn't rely on a home pregnancy test if you're not feeling well on top of everything else. If there is an underlying issue it should be looked after as soon as possible.

nurse practitioners? What that? :confused:

Karen
09-28-2009, 04:33 PM
A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse who has extra training in the diagnosis and treatment of common medical problems. Often, a nurse practitioner has the all knowledge needed to help someone, and if they do not, they then refer you to a physician, or have one that's also part of that practice see you.

3Catcondo
09-28-2009, 05:09 PM
In my early twenties, I stopped having periods for about 4 mos. I took home pregnancy tests which were negative, so I made an appt w/ my gyno. They did a blood test and it was negative, so she put me on meds to make me start my period again. Never pinpointed why mine stopped in the first place. So it could be just a thing. I wouldn't worry just yet. :)

jennielynn1970
09-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I've been irregular since my teens. Missing 2, 3 and yes, even up to 9 months of my period. The longest was almost 2 years. I didn't go to the gyno regularly, which is my fault, but to me it was great not having my period, lol.

I've had some scares where I thought I might have been pregnant, but all tests came back negative, even at the doctor's office. I'd definitely ask them to run more tests if they can't figure out why you didn't have your period and you are not pregnant. For me, I was diagnosed as having amenorrhea, or something.... I don't ovulate. They said I'll probably never have kids, and at this point, I'm almost 40, that's fine by me. I'd love to have kids, don't get me wrong, but it's ok if I don't.

When I did go to the gyno, I did see the certified registered nurse practitioner. I also see one at my regular doctor's office. I like them very much and would recommend using one if you cannot find a doctor to your liking.

Andie
09-28-2009, 11:59 PM
I've had a hormone imbalance since I was 16 which I've been reassured will correct itself. I can go all year without having a period or I'll have one a year. Which is as wonderful as it's sounds. ;) I'd see the first doctor you feel comfortable with ASAP.

catnapper
09-29-2009, 05:27 AM
They probably asked to see your regular doctor because there are soooo many things to throw your cycle out of whack. Stress. Weight gain (or loss). Hormones. Illness. Not everything has to be related to the "female parts" to make you late. Its just as likely to be something completely different, but affects your cycle.

Glad the test came back negative. Its ok to miss a month - its not ok to ignore it. Find a doctor ASAP to figure out why you missed. I always had irregular cycles but always knew why, so when months went by and I didn't have a period, I didn't worry. Like Jenn, I enjoyed being free! :D :p

Catty1
09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Here's a link from the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons - the Find a Physician page. You don't need the name, of course...try this.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/docsearch/

Nurse Practitioner clinics in ON (they just started this year):

http://www.npao.org/regions.aspx

And....a bunch of pregnancy clinics in Toronto:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&cr=countryCA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=pregnancy+clinics+toronto&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=pregnancy+clinics&hnear=toronto&view=text&ei=CSLCSoyMF4qqsgP3yc3rAg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1

Take care of yourself!:love:

emily_the_spoiled
09-29-2009, 11:27 AM
If nothing else you should probably take a folic acid tablet every day (they are inexpensive and you can buy them at your local pharmac). IF you are pregnant folic acid is extremely important for the development of a babies brain and nervous system. Unfortunately this generally happens in the first 3 months when most women do not realize they are pregnant. (And if you do take them and you are not pregnant there are few sides effects that you need to worry about.)

king2005
09-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Here's a link from the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons - the Find a Physician page. You don't need the name, of course...try this.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/docsearch/

Nurse Practitioner clinics in ON (they just started this year):

http://www.npao.org/regions.aspx

And....a bunch of pregnancy clinics in Toronto:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&cr=countryCA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=pregnancy+clinics+toronto&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=pregnancy+clinics&hnear=toronto&view=text&ei=CSLCSoyMF4qqsgP3yc3rAg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1

Take care of yourself!:love:

Awesome thank you!

That also explains why I've never heard of them, new.

king2005
10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
haven't found a Dr. I like (yes yes I'm picky, can't help it. Really I can't). I did find a really really nice walk-in clinic! The Dr. was so nice, soft spoken. He did the "pee" test & it was negative. So he told me to come back in 30mins to take blood (the lady that does it wasn't in yet). So I went back in 1hr (bad traffic) & I'll know the results on fri. He said when the results come in, we'll go from there.

king2005
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Someone posted the below & then deleted it, but I still want to answer it.. I just removed the names

When I was pregnant with my daughter ***, I had my Dad over for dinner, to tell him the good news.

What I did was put a pillow under my shirt and walked out of the bedroom. All he did was smile. It was a smile I will NEVER forget.

How about doing a home pregnancy test. Put the (hopefully?) positive test in a bracelet gift box and wrap it up to present to him.

Thats a great way to tell your dad. Mine lives 2000km away :(
I told him what was going on last night. He's supportive... so far... I think he's mostly ok with it because I'm not a child anymore. I'm sure if I was 2yrs younger he would have freaked out screaming on the phone as I would have been too young.

Haven't told Trevor yet.. as there is NO proof I am preg. all tests are showing up negative. When I get the results on Fri he'll find out whats been going on.

He was extra cuddly & sweet last night (which is hard to do considering he is very cuddly & very sweet all the time.. he really does treat me like a princess). but I noticed a difference in his actions. I'm positive he knows something is going on & he knows he'll hear about it when I'm ready to share (we're both shy people & not intrusive). I am glad that he's not being forceful in finding out why I was at the Dr.'s all afternoon (twice) yesterday. This whole thing sucks for me big time & him just being supportive in the unknown is really helping me feel good. Well as good as I can feel that is.

My dad is a little worried as he knows our family history, & he agrees being preg is the lesser of the 2 evils. Dad has known that something has been up for a while. He has asked me several time in the past month if I was ok, i seem off, odd, not me. Now he knows.

I also told my really good friend here at work. She took it much better then I thought. She is the prying type but only to people she cares about. If your going to the Dr. she wants to know why & if there is anything she can do, & if support is needed. So when she foundout I was leaving from work yesterday she was worried cause I NEVER leave work & shes never heard me go to a Dr. for being ill before (I'm not the type to get sick enough to take meds or see a dr.). I know the thought is killing her inside that I might be preg, but the chances of being preg are low as the tests are showing up negative & I'm not showing any signs (except weight gain, but I go up n down in weight often) & I believe I'm psychologically "thinking" my errr chest parts are tender cause everyone keeps asking me... so I'm ignoring that one. With my digestive issues my gut is always rumbling so it can be sore, weird, etc often, so I can't take that as a symptom either. Just the lack of my insides falling out monthly.

oh how I miss it! I need it to feel reEnergized.. I feel like a bloated blob

Karen
10-07-2009, 01:47 PM
We'll be thinking of you, and hope the doctor can help you figure out what's happening, and help you feel better.

Daisy and Delilah
10-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Take care and I can't wait to hear what the results are.:)