PDA

View Full Version : My poor nephew

catnapper
09-17-2009, 07:03 PM
My nephew lives in Alaska. He works as a welder and has a nice little life. In fact, he just had his first baby this summer.

Well, he decided to go moose hunting. At one point, he turned to his dad and said that he had the feeling he was going to get shot.... he put the safety on the gun, set the gun down and walked away. Something happened and the gun went off. Ammunition meant for a moose shot him. He was hit in the backside. The ammo took huge chunks out of his (ahem) cheeks, as well as taking off most of his left hand. Thankfully, he was with his father, who is a trauma ward nurse. My brother-in-law knew exactly what to do. He saved my nephew's life and all body parts!

He'll have a year-long recovery. He'll also have over 40 operations. They flew him back here to PA for the operations. He's in good spirits.... Hubby went to see him last night, and decided to keep Cameron home with me just in case. Too bad, because I had a tee shirt for Cam with a moose on it that said "Moose on the Loose" :p Hubby told my nephew about the tee shirt and he got a good laugh out of it. :) He just said that he didn't GET to the moose part because he shot himself as soon as they got there! (told you he's in good spirit)

The thing we need prayers for is obviously that the surgeries ALL go well, but also because the invincible "kid" (he's 24) decided he didn't need medical insurance! He said he didn't have the $200 a month it would have cost.... well $200 a month is looking mighty affordable compared to the fortune in medical bills he'll be racking up in the next 12 months! They're investigating the gun, and if there was any defect in the safety, the medical bills won't be a worry.

Karen
09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh, he'll be in our prayers.

jennielynn1970
09-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh my goodness.... I'll be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. Hope he recuperates quickly!

RICHARD
09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I know that scenario!:rolleyes:
Sending out best wishes to him.

Lucky guy.:eek:

jenluckenbach
09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Prayers for nephew.

blue
09-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Wow, I havent seen or heard anything about this on the local news!

I pray he has a speedy and uneventfull, as uneventfull as it can possibly be, recovery.

I really hope it was a defective rifle.

Freedom
09-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Now THAT tale raised the hair on the back of my neck!

He is so lucky he has such a good prognosis.

K9karen
09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
What hospital is he at? I know that the 2 hospitals I've been at, have to give medical treatment, regardless of ability to pay. I don't know what happens after that. Don't ya think, health care for all?

Edwina's Secretary
09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Don't ya think, health care for all?

Amen..Amen!

beeniesmom
09-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Whoa! Glad he's going to be able to tell his grandkids about the time he shot himself in the a$$!
Kidding aside, I hope all his surgeries go well!

Laura's Babies
09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
At least he survived the shot.. Odd he had the feeling but some people have that ability, good for him or the outcome could have been a lot worse. My his surgeries go well and he heal fast!

His good spirits will help him heal faster. I still say when Eddie was burned, he didn't have any idea dying was a option for him and that helped him recover as fast as he recovered. A good outlook means a LOT!

Daisy and Delilah
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
That is an incredible story!! WOW!! Poor guy. Such a freak accident. Thank God he had a qualified medical person with him at the time.

Unfortunately, that's why we need insurance.:( Again, poor guy. I know how he was thinking. My thoughts and prayers are going out to him. :(

lvpets2002
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
:( Oh My Goodness.. How so tragic.. Many Prayers being sent for your nephew.. Good thing his dad knew what to do.. God was looking over them for sure..

*LabLoverKEB*
09-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh my goodness!!:eek:
Your poor nephew! He's sooo incredibly lucky no further damage was done.... I will most definetly keep him in my prayers.:love: