PDA

View Full Version : Crock pot recipes

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
It's getting to be that time of year again, when I break out the crock pot and let it do the work.

I'm looking for some new ideas. I do the old favorites like chill and stews, and I have a couple of chicken and beef dishes that are good, but I'm looking for some new twists, but kept simple.

I have one of my favorite chicken dishes in cooking now. It smells soooo good!!!! :)
Any kind of chicken parts - I used legs today.
Potatoes quartered - no need to peel if you don't want to.
A large family size can of cream of mushroom soup - undiluted.
Parsley flakes, pepper.

Put chicken and potatoes in pot - spoon over the mushroom soup - and season with the parsley and pepper. The soup cooks into a wonderful gravy and the potatoes taste fantastic after cooking in it all day.

I also do basically the same with roast beef - any cut - except use a regular size can of the soup undiluted - and sprinkle an envelope of dry onion soup in it. Again - cook the potatoes in with it too.

So I'm looking for some new chicken or roast recipes (or any other kind of meat) - but kept simple.

Does anyone have any they would like to share?

ETA: I forgot this - for those that don't like mushrooms or mushroom soup - you can use any kind of cream soup. I have used cream of chicken or cream of broccoli too, altho I prefer the mushroom.

caseysmom
09-17-2009, 01:49 PM
That sounds great I am definitely going to try it.

I made a pot of navy beans, chicken tenders and a can of green salsa a few days ago...kind of a white bean chicken chili...it was tasty.

Killearn Kitties
09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Can I ask how big a big family size can of soup is? And if it is condensed, how thick? Would it take the same volume of water again if it were to be used as soup?

Nothing is ever easy when translating recipes from one country to another. :D

Grace
09-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I am so slow - just got my first crock pot last week. So far I have made an Italian Meatball Stew, and Chicken Pot Pie - both were yummy! Right now I have a Cheesy Ravioli Casserole in it.

I bought a couple of crock pot recipe books, and there a a bunch of things I want to try.

kfitzp1
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Try using canned biscuits as dumplings on top for the last 1/2 hour or so for chicken and pork dishes. Just cut each biscuit in 4 pieces and flour them and place on top, yummy.

Randi
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Uhmm, that first chicken recipe sounds yummy, but I'm lost here... I don't even think I can get a can of cream of mushroom soup. I'll try though!

John's sister used to make a delicious soup, she cooked a whole chicken with various things, and in the end added a can of cream of chicken soup. I used to bring a few of those back.

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Can I ask how big a big family size can of soup is? And if it is condensed, how thick? Would it take the same volume of water again if it were to be used as soup?

Nothing is ever easy when translating recipes from one country to another. :D

The family size can is 26 oz.(737g) However if you can't get that, then use two of the regular size cans which are 10.75 oz (305g) each. That little bit less won't make any difference. Nope - I didn't know the g weight - I read it right off the can! :p

It's condensed, and you don't want to add water to those crock pot recipes. If you just wanted it to eat as soup, then you would use the same volume of water as the condensed amount in the can.

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Uhmm, that first chicken recipe sounds yummy, but I'm lost here... I don't even think I can get a can of cream of mushroom soup. I'll try though!

John's sister used to make a delicious soup, she cooked a whole chicken with various things, and in the end added a can of cream of chicken soup. I used to bring a few of those back.

You really can't get creamed soups in Denmark?? :confused: They're a staple in every kitchen here in the U.S.

Randi
09-17-2009, 04:13 PM
pomtzu, years ago I thought I had found a can of it, but it had some horrible Indian spice in it and tasted awful. However, there's a supermarket that now sell American and British products - in fact, we have an American and a British shop in Copenhagen, but the prizes are horrendous! They don't even have my favourite cereal.

Moesha
09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
What is your favorite cereal? And would you like some condensed soup shipped to you? ;)

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
pomtzu, years ago I thought I had found a can of it, but it had some horrible Indian spice in it and tasted awful. However, there's a supermarket that now sell American and British products - in fact, we have an American and a British shop in Copenhagen, but the prizes are horrendous! They don't even have my favourite cereal.

They might have the creamed soups in that shop. Campbell's is the most popular here. Just for an example - I paid $1.92 for the family size can at Walmart, and that's a discount store. The smaller can was around $1.00. It would be interesting to know what you would pay if they carry it.

Indian spice in it - oh yuk - that sounds really nasty! :eek:

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I am so slow - just got my first crock pot last week.

Gosh Gretchen - you lead a sheltered life! :p

I'm on my second one - a 5 quart - the first one just wasn't big enough. They last forever and I don't think they ever burn out.

I used mine so much when I was still working. It was a Godsend - I would just put everything in before I left for work and dinner was ready when I got home. You can really get spoiled by using them. :D

Daisy and Delilah
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Although it's never really crock pot season here in Florida, this is a great idea for a thread!! I can't wait to see and try all the great recipes.:)

Richard, where are you? Richard is a walking culinary expert and chef extraordinaire.:)

jennielynn1970
09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
I got this recipe from my old old Betty Crocker (circa 1973). I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

* 1/4 cup shortening
* 2 lbs beef chuck or beef round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 1 cup sliced onion
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1/4 cup catsup
* 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1 dash red cayenne pepper
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 1/4 cup water
* 3 cups hot cooked noodles

Melt shortening in large skillet.

Add beef, onion and garlic; cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender.

In crock pot, add catsup, Worcestershire, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard, cayenne and 1 1/2 cups water.

Add beef, onion and garlic mixture to sauce.

Cover; simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Blend flour and 1/4 cup water; stir gradually into meat mixture.

Allow to thicken, takes about 1-2 minutes.

Serve over noodles.

Killearn Kitties
09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Thank you Pomtzu, beautifully explained. I must try that one.

I believe Lady's Human is a bit of a crock pot chef himself. Perhaps he will treat us to a new recipe.

Randi
09-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Moesha, that is sweet of you, but I'll try to find some here. It would cost a fortune to send heavy things like that. I'm hoping to travel myself and I usually get some when I do. ;) Imagine the customs opening my suitcase, finding 3-4 packets of cereal! :eek: They'll have a good laugh! :D

The cereal I love is called Kelloggs “Raisin Wheats”, in England. In Spain they’re called “Splitz”, in Luxembourg they’re called “Toppas”. They also come as frosted and plain. They’re all good. You should try them!

My absolute favourite is Jordan’s Country Crisp Four-Nut - they are wheat clusters with 4 kinds of chunky nuts in. Yummy! :p

I find most cereals too sweet.

Sorry pomtzu, we got side tracked here - won't happen again. ;)

beeniesmom
09-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Sounds like Raisin Bran!

Lots of good recipes here!
I too have discovered the crock pot only a year ago.
So far I've made a plain roast with veggie and potatoes and a killer pork BBQ.
It's so easy. I always thought crockpots were only used to keep stuff warm at parties and such!
I may just have to make one of those chicken recipes listed. :)
Even if it's still really hot here in FL. to make a stew, I feel like one. :)

Asiel
09-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Definitely get the crock pot out of storage. I cooked a whole batch of chops with mushroom sauce ,threw in the potatoes and veggies, lots of onions and garlic (I'm still a beleiver that garlic will cure anything) . But I put it all in a huge casserole and shoved it in the oven, the house got so hot I had to turn the furnace off and turn the a/c back on.
Might be a good day for that today. It was -3 when I got up. Fall is here to stay.

Medusa
09-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't own a crock pot; I've decided to wait and see if I get one as a Christmas gift. I do have plenty of good recipes at the ready, though, and here's one I want to try first:

Sausage and Potatoes

1 1/2 lbs. Polish sausage links, sliced 1/2-inch thick
2 lbs. frozen hash brown potatoes
1 can Cheddar cheese soup
1 can milk
1 bunch green onions, sliced
pepper, to taste
garlic, to taste

Combine sausage, potatoes, onions, and seasonings in a well-buttered crock pot. Stir to mix. Whisk together soup and milk. Pour over ingredients in Crockery Pot. Cook on low for about 6 hours.

I'm not sure why it has to cook so long, though. Sausage doesn't take long and the potatoes are frozen but already cooked. Anyhow, I thought that it sounded yummy, rather like a soup.

pomtzu
09-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Mary - that sausage and potatoes recipe sounds good - I have to try that one. I imagine it thickens and isn't soupy.

That would be good for breakfast - like for Christmas morning when you don't have the time to cook. Put it on to cook before you go to bed and it's done when you get up. Nice if you have kids or a houseful of company.

Catherinedana
09-21-2009, 07:36 AM
I am so slow - just got my first crock pot last week.

Me too! I got it on reward points from the credit union that I bank with, believe it or not. I haven't even opened the box yet, but now, with this thread and my mouth watering about those BISCUITS ON TOP (oh my!) I'm gonna have to try it reeeeeeaaaal soon!

Cathy

RICHARD
09-21-2009, 01:23 PM
The best recipes are the ones that you 'wing'.

Pork in the CP is the absolute bestest!:D

Asiel
09-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I love sausages so I'm trying out Medussa's recipe sometime next week, I need all the variety I can get and this sounds easy and delicious.

pomtzu
09-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I love sausages so I'm trying out Medussa's recipe sometime next week, I need all the variety I can get and this sounds easy and delicious.

Just don't do it while you're sleepwalking! :eek: :D :p

slick
09-22-2009, 02:42 PM
1 can milk :confused: How much is one can? Up here milk comes in cartons and jugs - equivalent to a quart or gallon.

RICHARD
09-22-2009, 02:53 PM
:confused: How much is one can? Up here milk comes in cartons and jugs - equivalent to a quart or gallon.

You have to go to the farmer that has special steel cows. They give milk in cans.:confused::D

You fill the empty can of soup w/milk. And the green onions are sliced, not diced!!;):D

sirrahbed
09-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I make a variation of your roast recipe with the onion soup mix, only I use a cup or so of leftover coffee or Coke as the liquid. Veggies can be whatever you have but usually include potatoes, parsnips, carrots and onions. A shake of tapioca or a bit of cornstarch at the last if it needs to be thickened. Fabulous!

Asiel
09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Pomtzu- love your sense of humour....:cool:

Lady's Human
09-23-2009, 04:39 AM
I'll post a fish chowder recipe later....I promise!

Killearn Kitties
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
We came home tonight to the chicken recipe posted first. Very tasty! And you are right, the potatoes are absolutely wonderful.

Randi
09-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I managed to get that can of Cream of Mushroom soup, it's Heinz 400 g and cost almost $4.

Will try that first recipe one of these days. :p Sounds easy and yummy. :)

pomtzu
09-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I managed to get that can of Cream of Mushroom soup, it's Heinz 400 g and cost almost $4.

Will try that first recipe one of these days. :p Sounds easy and yummy. :)

Yikes - that is pricey, since a small (305g) can here runs about $1.00, and even less if it's a store brand and not a name brand.

KK: Glad you liked it. I think the potatoes are the best part of that recipe! I could make a meal just on the potatoes and leave the chicken to everyone else! :D

Karen
09-25-2009, 04:51 PM
I'll post a fish chowder recipe later....I promise!

I miss fish chowder, sigh.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-25-2009, 06:51 PM
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onions
one can cream of chicken soup (mushroom works great too)
16-oz box tater tots

Spray inside of crock pot with non stick spray
Brown ground beef and onions in skillet until crumbly. Drain.

Put beef and onions in bottom of crockpot.
top with soup then with the tater tots

Cover and cook on low 2-3 hours

I love this and make it often. You can also make it in the oven using an 8x8 baking dish. Same ingredients and instructions. Just add more tots. Bake at 350 until tots are brown. Great with shredded cheese sprinkled over the top too.

Our Senior Citizen Meals on Wheels progam serves this too. :D

gini
09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=

KK: Glad you liked it. I think the potatoes are the best part of that recipe! I could make a meal just on the potatoes and leave the chicken to everyone else! :D[/QUOTE]

I made this recipe also but only had cream of potato and cheddar cheese soup on hand so I used those. You are right - the potatoes are wonderful. This is the only dish I have ever made that there were absolutly no left overs. My niece was visiting and she ate it cold and loved it - Ha!

beeniesmom
09-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm making a pork bbq butt in the crockpot tomorrow. :)

1 pork butt 4 or 5 lbs
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
3/4 cups water
1/2 cup bbq sauce
1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Pour the vinegar, water, bbq sauce and liquid smoke into the crock pot.
Rub the butt in olive oil, salt and pepper generously.
Place in the crock pot.
Add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Cook on low for 10 hours.

When done discard the liquid.
Shred the meat with clean hands.
In a large pot, add another 1/2 to 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoon of texas pete hot sauce.
Heat all up and serve on big buns!

pomtzu
09-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm making a pork bbq butt in the crockpot tomorrow. :)

1 pork butt 4 or 5 lbs
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
3/4 cups water
1/2 cup bbq sauce
1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Pour the vinegar, water, bbq sauce and liquid smoke into the crock pot.
Rub the butt in olive oil, salt and pepper generously.
Place in the crock pot.
Add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Cook on low for 10 hours.

When done discard the liquid.
Shred the meat with clean hands.
In a large pot, add another 1/2 to 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoon of texas pete hot sauce.
Heat all up and serve on big buns!

I'll definitely be making this one. Sounds great! :D

gini - the potato and cheddar cream soups sound good too. This chicken and potato recipe is a favorite around here, and I love it because it's so easy and a no-brainer. I don't think anyone could mess it up if they tried! :p

momoffuzzyfaces
09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
This chicken and potato recipe is a favorite around here, and I love it because it's so easy and a no-brainer. I don't think anyone could mess it up if they tried! :p

I even made it last night using a 12.5 oz can of chicken breast. I even just dumped the juice in. I only had one can of regular size cream of chicken soup. It still was yummy!!! :D

Randi
09-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Pomtzu, I used your chicken and potato recipe last night also! :) I used a can of Cream of Chicken and chicken legs. It was yummy - and so easy!

Thanks for sharing it. :)

pomtzu
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
It seems that so far, everyone likes the chicken and potatoes recipe. That's great. I've never met anyone so far that didn't like it.

But I'd like to be going to beeniesmom's today for some of that pork bbq she's making. I can't wait to try that one........:D

Medusa
09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
It's getting to be that time of year again, when I break out the crock pot and let it do the work.

I'm looking for some new ideas. I do the old favorites like chill and stews, and I have a couple of chicken and beef dishes that are good, but I'm looking for some new twists, but kept simple.

I have one of my favorite chicken dishes in cooking now. It smells soooo good!!!! :)
Any kind of chicken parts - I used legs today.
Potatoes quartered - no need to peel if you don't want to.
A large family size can of cream of mushroom soup - undiluted.
Parsley flakes, pepper.

Put chicken and potatoes in pot - spoon over the mushroom soup - and season with the parsley and pepper. The soup cooks into a wonderful gravy and the potatoes taste fantastic after cooking in it all day.

I also do basically the same with roast beef - any cut - except use a regular size can of the soup undiluted - and sprinkle an envelope of dry onion soup in it. Again - cook the potatoes in with it too.

So I'm looking for some new chicken or roast recipes (or any other kind of meat) - but kept simple.

Does anyone have any they would like to share?

ETA: I forgot this - for those that don't like mushrooms or mushroom soup - you can use any kind of cream soup. I have used cream of chicken or cream of broccoli too, altho I prefer the mushroom.

I've cooked this same recipe except w/pork chops and I slice the potatoes. Since I don't have a crockpot, I bake it in the oven in a cooking bag. I use cream of mushroom soup, sliced fresh mushrooms and fresh green beans. So yummy and filling on a cold day.

pomtzu
09-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I've cooked this same recipe except w/pork chops and I slice the potatoes. Since I don't have a crockpot, I bake it in the oven in a cooking bag. I use cream of mushroom soup, sliced fresh mushrooms and fresh green beans. So yummy and filling on a cold day.

Yum - but I'll skip the green beans Mary.:D

I'll have to do a pork roast in the crock pot like that - and maybe add some broccoli instead of the beans.

Next weekend it's corned beef, potatoes and cabbage - I promised my granddaughter. That's another meal that everyone here likes.

jennielynn1970
09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Just made this yesterday, and it's basically whatever I had on hand, and it turned out so darn yummy, I can't tell you.

I took 1/4 of a smoked turkey that had been cooked, and used the meat from it and the broth from cooking it.

Take the broth, put it in the crock pot. Add in a bag of green lentils, a small bag of baby carrots, 3 potatoes cubed, an onion chopped, and a bunch of cilantro chopped. Add about 1 tsp salt (not much since salt from the smoked turkey is already in the broth. Add enough extra chicken broth to cover the veggies.

Let simmer all day long, until the lentils break down and the starches come out and thicken it to a stew like consistency. Add back in the smoked turkey just before serving.

I made home made baking powder biscuits, cut into shapes with autumn cookie cutters (pumpkins, apples, scary cats) and served them with the stew.

shais_mom
09-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I am so slow - just got my first crock pot last week. So far I have made an Italian Meatball Stew, and Chicken Pot Pie - both were yummy! Right now I have a Cheesy Ravioli Casserole in it.

That's so funny - Gretchen. I have 3 crock pots! One is small just for dips etc with one temp- HIGH!
I love my crock pot.
I make all kinds of soups in them. And I've done the biscuits on top for dumplings a few times. YUM!
I would love that cheesy ravioli recipe tho!
I've done Crock pot Pizza - that was ehh - ok - the pasta turned kinda mushy.

Another good one and I think someone mentioned it already but it bears repeating is to do a beef roast topped with a can of coke.
Also - a beef roast with one can of beef broth and one packet of dry gravy is good too and let it cook on low for several hours.
I just really wanted to subscribe to this thread so the ideas keep coming! :)

shais_mom
09-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Just made this yesterday, and it's basically whatever I had on hand, and it turned out so darn yummy, I can't tell you.

I took 1/4 of a smoked turkey that had been cooked, and used the meat from it and the broth from cooking it.

Take the broth, put it in the crock pot. Add in a bag of green lentils, a small bag of baby carrots, 3 potatoes cubed, an onion chopped, and a bunch of cilantro chopped. Add about 1 tsp salt (not much since salt from the smoked turkey is already in the broth. Add enough extra chicken broth to cover the veggies.

Let simmer all day long, until the lentils break down and the starches come out and thicken it to a stew like consistency. Add back in the smoked turkey just before serving.

I made home made baking powder biscuits, cut into shapes with autumn cookie cutters (pumpkins, apples, scary cats) and served them with the stew.

where'd you get Smoked Turkey? Only thing I'm picturing is deli meat and I know that isn't right.

Grace
09-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll post the Cheesy Ravioli recipe tomorrow :)

We loved it :)

orangemm
09-28-2009, 06:14 AM
A tip for the holidays and your crock pot...don't throw out the turkey carcass after your yearly feast. Break it up and cram it into the crock pot, add carrots, onion, celery, a bouquet garni and enough water to cover it.

Cook on high for at least 12 hours; you can leave it in for 24. The aroma is heavenly and at the end you will have a lovely turkey stock to use for soups, stews, etc.

Strain the stock and refrigerate immediately. When completely cool, skim the fat off the top.

Tip: I overfilled my pot and saw liquid bubbling over the top, so I just put a pizza pan under it to catch any overflow.

ETA: if it is bubbling a lot, turn it down to low.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
This thread inspired me to get a crock pot- I had never used one before. I bought one at a thrift store for $5 and so far, I've made this lentil soup:

Ingredients:

* 2 cups lentils
* 4 cups water
* 8 cups vegetable broth
* 1 onion, diced
* 3 stalks celery, sliced
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
* 2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Stir together all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

It actually called for more liquid than my crockpot could hold, so I added less water. It was easy and turned out well. A lot of recipes posted sound really yummy, but unfortunately they probably have too many calories to try right now since I am really trying to lose some weight...maybe if I cut them in half I could try some. Or maybe someone has a good low-calorie recipe?

slick
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Yesterday I made baked beans in my crock pot. Took 12 hours to cook because I didn't bother to par boil the beans - just soaked them the night before. It turned out quite good - although I've had better.

Next weekend I'm going to try that chicken/mushroom soup recipe. :)

beeniesmom
09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
The pork BBQ was the bomb. :)

Grace
09-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Yesterday I made baked beans in my crock pot. Took 12 hours to cook because I didn't bother to par boil the beans - just soaked them the night before. It turned out quite good - although I've had better.

I do baked beans in the oven - 6 hours at 325°. They get soaked overnight and then parboiled. I think they are fantastic, as does my husband. Would be glad to share the recipe - if you're interested.

Randi
09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Is this the kind you use?

http://www.actionebook.com/images/CrockPotRival.jpg

jennielynn1970
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
where'd you get Smoked Turkey? Only thing I'm picturing is deli meat and I know that isn't right.

It's an actual whole smoked turkey that we get from a turkey farm. They smoke the entire turkey. Tastes just like ham, but better for you.

shais_mom
09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
It's an actual whole smoked turkey that we get from a turkey farm. They smoke the entire turkey. Tastes just like ham, but better for you.

hmm I've only ever seen turkey legs smoked in the grocery - will have to check out what I can find.

jennielynn1970
09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Is this the kind you use?

http://www.actionebook.com/images/CrockPotRival.jpg

Rival makes some nice crock pots. Mine looks a lot like that one, but red. They are fantastic for stews and soups. You have to get one Randi!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM

I love lentils and have been wanting an easy crock pot recipe for them. I think I'll try this next weekend. I'm going to use my trusty canned chicken though. Smoked meats always upset my stomach for some odd reason. It sure sounds yummy though. Thanks for sharing!!! :D:love:

momoffuzzyfaces
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
This thread inspired me to get a crock pot- I had never used one before. I bought one at a thrift store for $5 and so far, I've made this lentil soup:

Ingredients:

* 2 cups lentils
* 4 cups water
* 8 cups vegetable broth
* 1 onion, diced
* 3 stalks celery, sliced
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
* 2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Stir together all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

It actually called for more liquid than my crockpot could hold, so I added less water. It was easy and turned out well. A lot of recipes posted sound really yummy, but unfortunately they probably have too many calories to try right now since I am really trying to lose some weight...maybe if I cut them in half I could try some. Or maybe someone has a good low-calorie recipe?

This sounds yummy too. My crock pot is only 3 and half quarts so I'd had to adjust this too.

One thing to make some of the recipes a bit healthier is using Campbells Healthy choice cream of soups. They are more expensive but lower in fat and stuff. :love:

jennielynn1970
09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
hmm I've only ever seen turkey legs smoked in the grocery - will have to check out what I can find.

You could use those too, I suppose. Cook up a bunch of them, get the broth from them, and debone the legs. Use the meat and the broth for soups.

Grace
09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
CHEESY RAVIOLI CASSEROLE

½ tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped onion
½ clove garlic, finely chopped
1 jar (26 ounces) four cheese flavored tomato pasta sauce
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 package (25 ounces) frozen filled ravioli – your choice of fillings. I used cheese.
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley

Spray cooker with cooking spray. In 12” skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in pasta sauce, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.

Place 1.5 – 2 cups of the sauce mixture in cooker. Add ravioli; top with mozzarella. Pour remaining sauce over top.

Cover. Cook on LOW setting 6 hours. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

My cooker size is 4 quarts, and this fits just fine.

Grace
09-28-2009, 06:00 PM
one more -

ITALIAN MEATBALL STEW

1 bag (16 ounces) frozen, cooked Italian style meatballs – thawed
1 cup frozen, small whole onions
½ teaspoon salt
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with Italian-style herbs, undrained

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
2 ½ cups frozen bell pepper and onion stir-fry, thawed & drained
¼ cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)

In 3.5 to 4.5 quart slow cooker, mix meatballs, onions, salt and tomatoes.

Cover; cook on LOW setting 6 hours.

In small bowl, blend flour and water until smooth. Stir flour mixture into stew. Stir in bell pepper and onion stir-fry. Increase heat to HIGH. Cover; cook 15-20 minutes longer, or until stew has thickened and bell peppers are hot. Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.

Killearn Kitties
10-03-2009, 02:14 PM
My stomach thinks my throat's cut waiting on that fish chowder recipe. :p

Karen
10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll *nudge* da brudder! ;)

Killearn Kitties
10-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Karen, you are too good to us! :D

Karen
10-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Karen, you are too good to us! :D

The fish stew is a family specialty, but as I am now - very very sadly - allergic to fish, I don't have a copy handy. Otherwise I'd post it myself!

Fish chowder was always the first course for the Fourth of July celebration, and now is often served at other family events, too!

Lady's Human
10-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Okay, finally, here goes:

(I've been a touch busy trying to save jobs, sorry for the delay)

2 lbs of fish, take your pick, cod, haddock, what have you
3-4 medium onions
6 medium potatoes (Or thereabouts)
8 oz salt pork (Fatback)
1 large green pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 quart light cream or milk (your choice, but cream tastes better)

Check the fish for bones. If you're used to handling fish, it's easy, the bones will normally be in a line along the lower edge of the filet. Cut out the bones.

Cover the fish with water in a pan, cook SLOWLY over low heat. If you cook it fast, the fish will get tough. the fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork and it is opaque.

While the fish is cooking, remove the skin from the fatback and cut the fatback into small pieces. (1/8"-1/4" cubes)
Try out the fatback (cook out the fat). You'll be left with small, crunchy pieces of salt pork in pork fat. drain the fat, put the pork pieces on paper towel to remove the excess grease.

Dice the onions, fry in the fat from the salt pork.

Cut the potatoes into small (1/2") cubes

Dice the pepper

When the fish is done, keep the water, and break up the meat.

Put the fish, fish stock, peppers, onions (Just dump 'em out of the frying pan with the grease when they're done), potatoes, salt and pepper into a crock pot. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the cream, and heat on low until everything's warm.

Serve with the salt pork bits (scrunchions, in New England parlance), salt and pepper to taste. Goes well with common crackers, oyster crackers, just about any plain saltine type cracker.

pomtzu
10-04-2009, 11:43 AM
The fish chowder sounds yummy.

That's pretty much the way I make corn chowder. All the ingredients are the same (except I don't use green peppers) but instead of the fish, I use creamed corn. That's always a great comfort food on a cold winter's day! :)

Asiel
10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Amazing, what a small world.

That's the recipe I've always made, handed down from my mum. The only thing I leave out is the salt pork, the rest is the same. I love fish so we get to eat the chowder pretty often when the cold season starts.

Lady's Human
10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
It's a fairly common recipe along the coast, it's simple, something you can toss in the pot in the morning and forget about until the afternoon.

Anyone claiming that as their secret recipe is being less than truthful. :D

Killearn Kitties
10-05-2009, 06:34 AM
A million thank yous for the fish chowder. It sounds really good. I'm always looking for new ways to do fish, and I haven't tried that before.

This thread should keep me in tasty recipes from now till Christmas! I'm so glad you started it Pomtzu. :D

jennielynn1970
10-05-2009, 07:58 AM
I love this during fall and winter months. I make it for luncheons for at school as well.

Vegetable Jambalya

3 Tbsp. oil
1 c. diced onion
2 zucchini squash diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3.4 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced carrots
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. paprika
1 bay leaf
1 red bell pepper diced
1 greed pepper diced
1 can black eyed peas
28 oz. can plum tomatoes chopped with juice
2 tsp. parsley
3 1/4 c. vegetable broth
1 1/2 c. uncooked rice

Heat oil in large crock pot. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrots. Cook 1 minute longer. Mix in spices and herbs, and peppers, peas, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cook on low temperature 10 minutes.

30 minutes before serving, add zucchini, bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve. Serves 6

Medusa
10-05-2009, 08:08 AM
For 3 1/2 quart crock pot

3 lb. chicken, cut up
1/2 c. chicken bouillon broth
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
3 ribs celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
3 sm. carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 c. packaged biscuit mix
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. parsley flakes

For 5 1/2 quart crockery pot

6 lb. chicken, cut up
1/2 c. chicken bouillon broth
4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
6 ribs celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
6 sm. carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 c. packaged biscuit mix
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. parsley flakes

Wash chicken pieces; cut away excess fat. Place raw chicken pieces in crock pot with largest bony pieces on bottom. Add broth; sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning. Add celery and carrots on top. Cover. Cook 7 to 9 hours on low (31/2 to 4 on high).

Combine biscuit mix, milk, parsley flakes; stir until just moistened. Drop dumpling mixture by spoonfuls (about 8) over steaming chicken; cover, cook on high 30 minutes. (Do not remove the cover during the steaming of the dumplings.)

Serve immediately - when dumplings are at their best.

Makes 4 servings (3 1/2 quart) or 8 servings (5 1/2 quart)

Pinot's Mom
10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
I have been looking for this recipe since the thread started and found it this morning! I've wanted to try it, haven't yet, so if someone gets there before me - post the results! I might do it this weekend...

Fennel Braised with Artichokes

Makes 4 Servings, Prep 10 Minutes, Cook 16 minutes; Slow Cook 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 fennel bulbs, trimmed cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 onion sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (13.75 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
3 tablespoon chopped parsley

1) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook fennel 6 minutes, stirring, or until browned; remove from skillet.
2) Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet; stir in onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in flour until onions are coated. Add wine and boil 2 minutes. Add the broth and tomatoes; simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Coat slow cooker bowl with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Layer half the fennel slices on the bottom, then half the artichokes, then half the onion mixture. Repeat the layers. Cover; cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 6 hours. Sprinkle with Parsley and serve.

Sounds yummy to me!

Grace
10-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Made this for Sunday dinner, with leftovers tonight. It is so yummy good :)

SWEDISH MEATBALLS

2 Jars (12 ounces each) beef gravy
1 pound sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, cut in chunks
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds frozen meatballs – thawed
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

12 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained

Sauté mushrooms in butter until tender. In crockpot, combine mushrooms, gravy, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. Stir meatballs into the sauce. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.

Gradually stir about ½ cup of the hot gravy mixture into the sour cream. Stir this back into the crockpot. Serve over hot buttered noodles.

Serves 8-10

I did cook this in my 4 quart pot, but a 5 quart would probably be better.

jennielynn1970
10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Making this as I type...

Potato Soup

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 large onions
2 cloves garlic, chopped/minced
4 large potatoes
2 c. chicken stock
2 c. water
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. milk
bunch of parsley chopped

Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a crock pot on high, add in the onions and let them get soft. Add in the potatoes, chicken stock, water and parsley and let simmer for about 3-4 hours till all is thick and mushy. Stir in the milk and evaporated milk, heat through, and then serve.

I made this last weekend, and liked it so much, I'm making it again today.

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2009, 11:24 AM
My husband brought one of these slow cookers home a few weeks ago. I have done my best to ignore it. But as we like to be home for the Trick or Treating...we will launch it tonight.

I have copied many of thre recipes here. But there is one thing. I LOATHE tomatoes.

It seems almost all recipes call for tomatoes.

Any suggestions on substitutions? Or more non-tomato recipes?

Medusa
10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
My husband brought one of these slow cookers home a few weeks ago. I have done my best to ignore it. But as we like to be home for the Trick or Treating...we will launch it tonight.

I have copied many of thre recipes here. But there is one thing. I LOATHE tomatoes.

It seems almost all recipes call for tomatoes.

Any suggestions on substitutions? Or more non-tomato recipes?

Try red bell pepper instead of tomatoes. Too, there are lots of good white chili and white lasagna recipes online.

Also, someone told me just the other day that a slow cooker and a crock pot are not synonymous. I don't know because I've never used either one but I'm hoping I get one as a gift this year for Christmas. So I'm not sure if substitutions would make a difference in recipes that are for a crock pot if you use a slow cooker instead.

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
You could try the roast or chicken that I put in post #1. No tomatoes there........ :D

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Try red bell pepper instead of tomatoes. Too, there are lots of good white chili and white lasagna recipes online.

Also, someone told me just the other day that a slow cooker and a crock pot are not synonymous. I don't know because I've never used either one but I'm hoping I get one as a gift this year for Christmas. So I'm not sure if substitutions would make a difference in recipes that are for a crock pot if you use a slow cooker instead.

Maybe the slow cooker doesn't have the ceramic pot??? Maybe you can set actual temps in a slow cooker, where my crock pot is just a high or low setting. Beats me.......:confused:

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
You could try the roast or chicken that I put in post #1. No tomatoes there........ :D

That is my plan. :D

Medusa - it is an 8.5 qt (who does he think we are cooking for and WHERE do we store it...:mad::rolleyes:) slow cooker. It appears to have three or four speeds.

Medusa
10-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Wow, that's huge! But that's a man for ya. ;) I just don't know how crock pot recipes translate to slow cookers. Guess there's only one way to find out, eh?

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow, that's huge! But that's a man for ya. ;) I just don't know how crock pot recipes translate to slow cookers. Guess there's only one way to find out, eh?

I've thought of complaining but then I might have to do the grocery shopping. Life is full of trade offs!;)

I'll let you know how it turns out....

sirrahbed
10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
This thread has been such fun - thank you for starting it Pomtzu! The chicken, potato and mushroom soup is in the crockpot right now and I am waiting for that wonderful smell to fill the house!
Next up I want to try the swedish meatball and noodles that Grace posted - another one for you to try Sara! No tomatoes!
Back when I first got married in 1974, crockpots seemed to be THE THING and I had forgotten how easy they are to use. I now have two of them - one smallish one that probably is for dips and such but it is just right for the two of us.

Keep the ideas coming friends:D

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
That is my plan. :D

Medusa - it is an 8.5 qt (who does he think we are cooking for and WHERE do we store it...:mad::rolleyes:) slow cooker. It appears to have three or four speeds.

Yikes!!! - 8.5 qt????? Did hubby figure on feeding the whole neighborhood? ;)
I have a 5 qt which is plenty big enough to make a meal for 4 - 6. It's a good 15 or 20 years old, and I think that was the biggest they made way back then, but it's still as good as new. I'd like to find an excuse to buy one of the new oval shaped ones since they're great for whole chickens and rolled roasts.

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe the slow cooker doesn't have the ceramic pot??? Maybe you can set actual temps in a slow cooker, where my crock pot is just a high or low setting. Beats me.......:confused:

So is the chicken suppose to be on high or low?

I sure hope it is high....:rolleyes:

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 03:58 PM
So is the chicken suppose to be on high or low?

I sure hope it is high....:rolleyes:

I usually start it on high for a couple of hours, and then turn down to low. Total time about 6 or 7 hours average. Best way to check, is to check the doneness of the potatoes. If they're rock hard to start, of course they are going to take longer.

Cinder & Smoke
10-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Who'da known! :p

Also, someone told me just the other day that a slow cooker and a crock pot
are not synonymous.

So I'm not sure if substitutions would make a difference in recipes
that are for a crock pot if you use a slow cooker instead.

Here''s an interesting article on the subject of the differences
between a Crock Pot and a Slow Cooker >>>

http://www.easy-crock-pot-recipes.com/what-is-the-best-crock.html

<TABLE width=336 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0495201697374524"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; google_ad_format = "336x280_as"; google_ad_type = "text"; google_ad_channel ="0851466489"; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "0000CC"; google_color_text = "000000"; google_color_url = "000000"; //--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/expansion_embed.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/render_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT><INS style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; VISIBILITY: visible; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 336px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; POSITION: relative; HEIGHT: 280px"></INS></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Did you ever wonder what the difference was between a “crock pot” and a “slow cooker”? The answer lies in the type and number of heating elements used.

Most crock pots have heating elements on both the bottom and sides of the crock. Heat surrounds the food bringing it more quickly up to a safe temperature. Crock pot cooking cooks foods slowly at a low temperature - generally between 170<SUP>o</SUP> and 280<SUP>o</SUP> F and has been deemed safe by the USDA.

Some slow cookers have heating elements on the bottom, but none on the sides. This causes the cooker to heat the food more slowly, leading to questions about crock pot cooking (http://www.easy-crock-pot-recipes.com/crock-pot-cooking.html) safety. The USDA recommends using this type of cooker for soups, stews, etc. where the food is small cut.
Crock pots, also known as "slow cookers", are revered for their ability to cook all sorts of foods at a slow, even pace. These units excel at tenderizing pot roasts and other less expensive cuts of meat, which require longer cooking at a lower heat setting. They also do a great job with soups and stews and are versatile enough to prepare specialty dishes such as stuffed peppers or rolled eggplant. Many units are now designed to accommodate whole chickens, oversized roasts, and racks of ribs.

How to Shop for Crock Pots
When selecting a slow cooker, consider how often you will use the appliance and what types of food will be cooked. Will you be likely to transport cooked dishes to friends' homes or other venues? Specialty features translate into increased price so be sure to select a unit that matches your needs. Optional features include removable crock liners, insulated travel cases, signal lights, and extra settings for "keep warm" or "automatic" cooking.

;)
<SCRIPT src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/render_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/render_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);</SCRIPT>

pomtzu
10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
I was going to make fried chicken tomorrow, but since I hate the mess, I think it's going to be crock pot chicken. I don't have any potatoes, so I'll just fix rice to go with it. Maybe toss some frozen broccoli in with the chicken about an hour before it's done. Boy - am I getting to be a lazy cook, or what??? :eek:

Grace
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Made this for the first time tonight, and it is a winner!!

Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup
Easy and delicious! Very thick and hearty! Freezes well! If you overcook, the soup will get even thicker than usual! and turn a little bit of an olive drab color--it will still taste good though!

SERVES 6 -8

* 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed
* 2 cups ham, diced or 1 ham bone (meaty) or 2 ham hocks
* 1 cup carrot, diced
* 1/2 cup onion, chopped
* 1 cup celery, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1 1/2 quarts hot chicken broth

1. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
2. Pour in broth. Do not stir!
3. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone.
4. Remove bones and bay leaf.
5. Serve!

I cooked it on high for 5 hours, and it was great!!

jennielynn1970
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Made this for the first time tonight, and it is a winner!!

Slow Cooker Split Pea and Ham Soup
Easy and delicious! Very thick and hearty! Freezes well! If you overcook, the soup will get even thicker than usual! and turn a little bit of an olive drab color--it will still taste good though!

Ooooooooh! That sounds so yummy!! I love pea soup, and will have to make this one soon!!!! Do you think it will be ok if I substitute smoked turkey for ham?? It should be ok, right?

Karen
12-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I was at Dad's this afternoon, and when I walked it, the kitchen smelled wonderful. He said "Good, huh? It's not done, so I cannot offer you any ..." But I couldn't eat it, anyway, he knows I have odd allergies. In the cooker was turnip chopped into cubes, carrots - sliced, onions and a chunk of chicken. A little salt, pepper and some water, and dinner was on its way!

Grace
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Ooooooooh! That sounds so yummy!! I love pea soup, and will have to make this one soon!!!! Do you think it will be ok if I substitute smoked turkey for ham?? It should be ok, right?

Oh, I think turkey would be great. I also think it could be made without any meat/poultry and be just as yummy :)

Pembroke_Corgi
08-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Can anyone recommend a good brand/model of crockpot? Something fairly large, but not huge...maybe big enough to make dinner for 3 people with one night of left-overs.

I'm in need of a new one and thought I should ask here- thanks!! :)

sparks19
08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
REALLY easy pulled pork

Pork shoulder (bone in and leave it in for cooking)

Root beer (I use diet rootbeer)

Sweet baby rays BBQ sauce (I use the hickory and brown sugar)

put the pork shoulder in, pour in half a bottle of rootbeer so it's about half way up the pork shoulder then on top pour half of the sweet baby rays sauce. cook that for about 3-4 hours. flip it... slather other side with sweet baby rays sauce and cook for another 3 hours until it is falling apart in your hands

Then let it cool enough so you can rip it apart. enjoy. I add a little more BBQ sauce when I make a batch of leftover pulled pork.

EASY but drop dead delicious

pomtzu
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Can anyone recommend a good brand/model of crockpot? Something fairly large, but not huge...maybe big enough to make dinner for 3 people with one night of left-overs.

I'm in need of a new one and thought I should ask here- thanks!! :)

I have a Rival 5 quart that I've had for years. I use it a lot and it's still good as new. If I were to get a new one, I would like one of the oval ones, rather than the round one that I have - chickens and some roasts fit much easier in those. As far as brands, I think they are all pretty much the same, tho some don't have the removable crock.

Asiel
08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Funny, the weather has been cooler the past few days and I was just thinking of that crock pot, anxious to get it out and start making regular meals again. I don't have many recipes, I browse around to see what I can find. The easier the better. I think that chicken recipe of yours will be great for my the first meal when I take it out.

pomtzu
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
A very sweet PT'er who doesn't use a crock pot (thank you, Sandie), sent me a CD last year that she wasn't using. It's called Easy Chef's Slow Cookin' and has an amazing 6000+ slow cooking recipes - everything from main dishes, party drinks, appetizers, desserts, and more. If anyone is a serious slow cooker/crock pot enthusiast, it is available on Amazon, and well worth the money. No more searching the internet - it's all on one little CD.

Pembroke_Corgi
09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I thought I would share a really good recipe! I've made this version of chickpea curry about 100 times, and wanted to try it in the crockpot- it tasted just as good, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Chickpea Curry Ingredients:

2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
(2) 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained
(1) can 14 oz diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1/2 tsp garam masala

Dice the onion and garlic and fry them in the oil until the onions are soft. Add all spices (except garam masala) and stir for about 1 minute. Add onion mixture, drained and rinsed chickpeas, and undrained can of tomatoes to the crockpot and mix well. Leave out the garam masala for now. Cook on low for about 6 hours. About 20-30 minutes before cooking ends, add the garam masala.

It's great with rice or garlic naan bread! My daughter really likes it too.

GrandChester
09-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Im hungry after reading some of these recipes! Im too lazy to read all the posts..I know, shame on me!
I have a friend that ate crock pot mac & cheese at a cookout, she said it was yummy but didnt get the recipe. If any one has made it can you let me in on the recipe! Thanks ahead:)