View Full Version : Mary Travers - RIP

Grace
09-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I loved their music -

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72

By JAY LINDSAY
The Associated Press
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:27 PM

BOSTON -- Mary Travers, who as one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary helped popularize such tunes as "Puff (The Magic Dragon)" and "If I Had a Hammer," died Wednesday after battling leukemia for several years. She was 72.

The band's publicist, Heather Lylis, says Travers died at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut.

Bandmate Peter Yarrow said that in her final months, Travers handled her declining health with bravery and generosity, showing her love to friends and family "with great dignity and without restraint."

"It was, as Mary always was, honest and completely authentic," he said. "That's the way she sang, too; honestly and with complete authenticity."

Noel "Paul" Stookey, the trio's other member, praised Travers for her inspiring activism, "especially in her defense of the defenseless."

"I am deadened and heartsick beyond words to consider a life without Mary Travers and honored beyond my wildest dreams to have shared her spirit and her career," he said.

Mary Allin Travers was born on Nov. 9, 1936 in Louisville, Ky., the daughter of journalists who moved the family to Manhattan's bohemian Greenwich Village. She quickly became enamored with folk performers like the Weavers, and was soon performing with Pete Seeger, a founding member of the Weavers who lived in the same building as the Travers family. . . . . .

Continued in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/16/AR2009091603576.html)

K9karen
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I always wanted her hair. We sang *Puff the Magic Dragon* all through school, being as cool as we could. I'm sure she'll still be singing and entertaining. RIP, Mary Travers.

moosmom
09-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Mary T. was a wonderful, caring, classy lady. I have followed PP&M since I was a kid. I am shocked and very sad that we lost a great human being. I wonder what will happen to the group now that Mary is gone. They were like a family.

RIP sweet lady. Your beautiful voice will live on forever.

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 09:34 AM
This is so sad to hear. I loved everything that PP&M did.

I especially loved one of their albums geared toward younger children - simply called Peter, Paul & Mommy. My kids just loved it when they were little and would play it over and over. I still have it in my collection, even tho I have no way to play it. :(

Freedom
09-17-2009, 09:37 AM
She had a long battle with that leukemia.

RIP Mary, you will be missed by so many.

Pinot's Mom
09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Indeed, she will be missed. I have seen PP&M a few times; beautiful harmonies. I was on the way to work this morning when I heard.

RIP, Mary, you were a beautiful voice and a beautiful soul.

Grace
09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Blowin in the Wind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4g_1VoGw4&feature=related)

Daisy and Delilah
09-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Rest In Peace Mary :(

I'm sure heaven is aglow with beautiful music ever since you arrived. I have alot of wonderful memories from back in the days of PP & M. Some of my all time favorite songs that I'll never forget. You will be missed, Mary.:(

momcat
09-20-2009, 04:45 PM
The world has lost an extraordinary voice and an exceptional human being. I've been a Peter, Paul and Mary fan since they began in the early 1960's and have seen them in concert a few times.

Since hearing of Mary's passing, one thing has been in my mind. I always watch their PBS specials. I can still see Mary sitting in a big, comfortable chair singing "For Baby For Bobbie" to her granddaughter who was snuggled up next to her. The unconditional love between them was a beautiful thing to see.

In my mind Peter, Paul and Mary will be remembered as icons of contemporary music. They appealed to all generations, the audience at their concerts spanned all age groups from the young to the old because they had so much to offer.

Rest in peace, Mary. While you will be missed by many, your voice and your music will continue to share your message and your beautiful voice. Thank you for countless hours of enjoyment and your extraordinary music :love: