PDA

View Full Version : One of the greatest presents EVER!

Casper
09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
A dog that is very near and dear to me is on his way to a happy ending!

Since the first day I started volunteering at the pound there has always been this big, beautiful yellow lab to greet me with all the slobbery kisses I could ever want. I was not sure how long he had been there before I began volunteering, but I have been volunteering for nearly six months now. He has perfect manners (besides not being potty trained) and has always gotten along great with the other dogs, but no one ever adopted him. He is heartworm positive, and that was a turn-off for the few people that inquired about him.

Keep in mind that the pound I volunteer at is a terrible place for any dog to live. We have a great AC officer now, but we receive absolutely no help from the city, therefore having no funds to help animals like I would like. Dogs are lucky to last a month there before getting covered in ticks or succumbing to illness (they also are in danger of being PTS if it gets too crowded). Luckily the AC officer grew very attached to this dog!

Finally.. FINALLY we were contacted by someone we work with in rescue that knew of a lab rescue that would probably take him and another yellow lab at the pound. After seeing their pictures the rescue has agreed to take them in and give HW treatment to my big, yellow friend. I am not a very emotional person, but I still have trouble holding back the tears of happiness when thinking about how this dog is finally getting the second chance he deserves.

This morning both boys were neutered, updated on shots, and given flea dips. They were ready to go this evening so we transported them an hour away to a rescue. Here are a few pictures I took during the ride.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/Biscuits_and_Tea/IMG_3509.jpg
Eventhough he spent more then 6 months at a city pound this picture proves he is still looking good. He is the most beautiful yellow lab I have ever met in person.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/Biscuits_and_Tea/IMG_3507.jpg
He began dosing off while still sitting up. :) He had a long day.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/Biscuits_and_Tea/IMG_3490.jpg
This is the other yellow lab we took, who is quite a bit younger. He has only been at the pound a few weeks so we weren't quite as attached to him, but I am still ecstatic he is getting to go to a rescue, too.

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu247/Biscuits_and_Tea/IMG_3512.jpg
The big guy tried to climb into my lap many times and sneaked us kisses the entire way. He is going to make a very good dog for some lucky person!

Tomorrow they will be headed to a rescue in Memphis, and then will eventually head to the New England area. Apparently dogs have a better chance at getting homes up there.. especially since labs overpopulate these areas so no one wants to adopt them down here.

So, if you don't mind, keep your fingers crossed that the big guy's HW treatment goes well and that both of these guys end up in wonderful, loving homes!

I sure am going to miss seeing that familiar face at the pound, but I know this is the best possible outcome that could have happened. I know he would have eventually wasted away if he stayed at the pound too long. My birthday is Friday and I like to consider this as an early present... seeing a dog that I have grown to love get a second chance is better than just about anything I could have asked for. :)

Karen
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Handsome boys, both of them! I hope his heartworm treatment goes well, and I am sure they will get good homes!

MonicanHonda
09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I definitely agree. I'm not always a fan of labs (mostly because they're popular. LOL! I'm weird) But, he is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Oh my!

Seravieve
09-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I definitely agree. I'm not always a fan of labs (mostly because they're popular. LOL! I'm weird) But, he is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! Oh my!

I agree. I'm not a huge Lab fan.. But he's VERY Handsome! Something about those golden eyes and Big Floppy Ears! Yay!! Good luck!

Taz_Zoee
09-16-2009, 10:44 PM
He is so handsome. He has a unique look to his face, it reminds me of a Vizsla or even a Weimaraner. This is even more so in the last picture.
I am so glad these two beautiful dogs have a promising future ahead of them. :)

happylabs
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, obviously I am a Lab fan! What handsome boys they are. I am so happy they are getting a better chance of getting a home. I guess I am biased having been loved by Casey for 13 years but Labs just have that look about them that is so endearing. I do miss my sweet girl!

*LabLoverKEB*
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm obviously a Labrador fan, as well!;)
I agree that the first dog looks like a lot like a Viszla!

Good luck to both of them in their new, forever homes!:love:

MoonandBean
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Having rescued a puppy from the South (Alabama), I know all to well the fate of most dogs in shelters in the South. That is why I was ecstatic to learn that even Sunny's mother got adopted by being sent to a no kill shelter in Massachussets. I am so happy to hear that these 2 labbies are going to get a chance at finding their furrever homes.

And to any and all dog owners out there...Please spay and neuter your pets. Especially in the South, there is a HUGE overpopulation problem. I am taking this right off of the rescue page where I found my Sunny:

We have dogs here in PA and we also transport dogs for our sister rescue in Alabama. We get WONDERFUL dogs from the south. Every breed and every age. We have an exceptional success rate. The We honestly represent these animals and the adoption fees include spaying/neutering on dogs 6 months or older, heartworm testing, rabies and distemper vaccinations, and worming. We will test them with cats and other dogs for you and we ship them to the Allentown area as well as throughout New England. We have excellent references and an excellent reputation. The adoption fees include $110 transport fee to get the dog to this area as well as $40.00 for a health certificate which is required by law to ship a dog from one state to another. Please go to our Alabama site by clicking on the following link. They are killing 40 to 50 dogs and PUPPIES every week down south. We only pull the very highly adoptable dogs. I promise you, you will be very happy if you choose this option. Bless you for looking to adopt a rescue dog.

Casper
09-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Thank you all so much for the well wishes for these boys. We have asked to be kept up to date on them, so hopefully we can hear an update from them eventually.

I'm not always a fan of labs (mostly because they're popular. LOL! I'm weird)

I totally get what you mean. I used to be that way, but after meeting so many great labs I have grown very fond of the breed. I can actually imagine sharing my home with one someday if the time is right. :)

And to any and all dog owners out there...Please spay and neuter your pets. Especially in the South, there is a HUGE overpopulation problem.
Amen!
The area I live in is a thorough example. Even though the vet in town offers cheap spay/neuterings it still seems to be the last priority for dog and cat owners around here.

cassiesmom
09-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Awwww! and Awwww! Best wishes to these two doggies!

Freedom
09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Aw, what a wonderful story to read just before I head off to bed. What lucky boys! And that first one, the one you've known for 6 months, adorable! I can't imagine him just sitting there that long; won't happen up here!

I am a bit annoyed that they can't get the heart worm treatment started while at your shelter! Good heavens! Well, he is on the road to recovery now and paws crossed he will make it.

If you know the rescue name, you should be able to read about these 2 on their web site in about 2 weeks. (The rescue I am with, the new foster parents are given 2 weeks to learn about the dog and write up the bio.)

blue
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
THats great, 2 great looking dogs off to new and better sittuations.

chocolatepuppy
09-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Good luck to both pups!:)