PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth saving?

catnapper
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
We're redoing the livingroom floors to either completely refinish the existing pine floors or lay down laminate.

My memory told me that the floors were in terrible shape. Actually, I think the floors are in MUCH better shape than previously remembered (hey, its been 8 years since I last saw them!)

They are solid pine, no knot holes, and very few major gauges.... but there are some serious stains. Like RB Sammie's favorite potty spot in the livingroom.... Oh-my-GAWD! You should have smelled the floor as we rolled the carpet and padding off her favorite area!!! :eek: :eek:

This is the most obvious divot, by the fireplace.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/House/026.jpg

Mystic and Mikey are showing off the spot where hubby demolished a half wall. You can kinda see the outline where the half wall was. You can also see where the Dining Room was previously finished, whereas the livingroom was not.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/House/021.jpg

Water and.... ummmm.... other stains
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/House/028.jpg

Random paint and marks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/House/027.jpg

The Dining room, where the old finish still shows as a halo around a huge area where the finish completely rubbed off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/House/022.jpg

We've found a large floor sander for $45 a day to rent. I don't mind the dust and work (because hubby's going to be the one doing all the work! ;) ). I can only imagine the HUNDREDS of tiny paw prints running through my newly stained floor :eek: or at the very least, the THOUSANDS of cat hairs falling and settling into the stain! :eek:

Soooooo, do you think its worth saving hte pine floor? Or just go the easy route and cover it with laminate?

Pinot's Mom
09-15-2009, 07:50 PM
If they're solid pine - SAND THEM. That being said; have you ever done this? If not, practice with that thing somewhere before attacking solid wood floors; it needs to be done with a light touch.

Grace
09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't know if it's worth saving, but it you do cover it with laminate make sure you really scrub the original. Otherwise those smells might linger and some 4-legged creature might decide to try and cover it up ;)

When our neighbors put in new carpeting, they scrubbed the plywood and I think there is some preparation you can coat the areas with - to eliminate old odors.

catnapper
09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't know if it's worth saving, but it you do cover it with laminate make sure you really scrub the original. Otherwise those smells might linger and some 4-legged creature might decide to try and cover it up ;)

When our neighbors put in new carpeting, they scrubbed the plywood and I think there is some preparation you can coat the areas with - to eliminate old odors.

Oh we're already ahead on that one! We have a gallon of Mr. Clean and a gallon of Simple Solution. :)

Funny thing, Allen's favorite potty spot isn't anywhere near where Sammie's favorite spot was. The carpet pad completely covered Sammie's smell - it wasn't until we removed the old carpet and padding that we were knocked out by the smell.

jennielynn1970
09-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Your floors remind me of my floors.... and I've been thinking about redoing them as well. I still haven't made up my mind, even though it's going to be at least a year or so down the line.

One suggestion, for the stains and smells, look up Bac-A-Zap on line. I've found it works miracles and does a much better job than the Simple Solution and all the other things I've tried. It's used by exterminators and other people who have to clean up biological waste. It is safe to use around animals and is non-toxic. It's $$ but worth it.

Edwina's Secretary
09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
The old house we had in Chicago...one Sunday we decided to pull up the carpet...we found hardwood floors.

We stripped, sanded and stained. It was very hard work (we did the front entry way, hall and stairs.)

Some things I learned....

Do not sit in wood stripper. It hurts.

If the cat (we only had Edwina then) escapes from the room in which she has been "locked" and runs across the wet stripper - she will not like getting her feet washed.

But it WAS worth it!

blue
09-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Go ahead and save it, real hard wood floors are awesome.

Twisterdog
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
OMG ... SAVE THAT BEAUTIFUL FLOOR!!

There is nothing there that is not cosmetic and easily fixed with a sanding and refinishing. You will NEVER regret it.

Cataholic
09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I had my floors redone about 4 years ago, and have had many comments on it! Actually ,it must have been longer, I can't remember what I did with J during that time, though I know where I placed my cats....

Well worth it.

Catherinedana
09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Nononononononooooo! Don't cover them up! I would rip off my foot for floors like that! I have tile floors and I HATE them! We would have to go with laminate because our house was build on a slab. If you sand and stain with what appears to be very minor repairs, you will have the most beautiful floors. Home depot gives workshops on this sort of thing and then you get discounts on the products and tools that you need to rent.

Do it do it do it!

Cathy

smokey the elder
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
There are ways to replace rotted out boards in a hardwood floor; most of your trouble looks to be surface; lots of elbow grease should result in a lovely floor!

Randi
09-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I would definately sand them! They'll look beautiful after. :) If you do, then you need to wash them with a thick solution of soap flakes, and whatever you spill will come off easy. Go ahead and do it!

There's nothing worse looking that laminate.

Catherinedana
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
There's nothing worse looking that laminate.

Except for ugly grey floor tile. . . :(

Freedom
09-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Beautiful! KEEP THEM.

Why not ask some pros in for their estimates, and see what they think, if it can be saved? You don't have to HIRE them after wards!

Keep in mind that the urine stains WILL show, even after sanding. It is up to you how big they are, and the placement. When I had my floors done the beginning of June, I only replaced the one floor which had huge rings on it, all over the place.

AND keep in mind that these floors are true hardwoods, which enhance the home value. Laminate doesn't do that.

Once you sand the floor, make sure to take the time to put down many coats of urethane. That will bead up urine so you have time to dry it before it stains, in future. With laminate, you best pick it up quick, as it will cause the laminate to separate.

Keep the cats locked away for the full time of the project. With the sander, it is LOUD, they are going to be afraid, be sure they are in a safe place and can't get out. For the coating, it smells and they need ventilation so they don't vomit.

catnapper
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh my goodness! Hubby did the first swipe with the sander.... and I hardly recognise the floor! There are a few faint stains, but I'm confident they'll disappear with a darker stain color.

But dust? Good grief! EVERYTHING is coated in dust. EVERYWHERE, even rooms upstairs. Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end.

PayItForward
09-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Yep, but after the dust will be the beautiful wooden floor. :)

Enjoy it :)

Lori Jordan
09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
KEEP IT!! You will dissapoing yourself,Those floors..nothing could replace them.The finished result will be beatuiful..Make sure you update with Pictures!

blue
09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Very cool yall decided to redo it, yall will be very happy with the out come.

My dad had oak hardwood a house or 2 ago, after they sanded and refinished the wood they had a coat or 2 of marine grade polyurathane, I think, put down to seal and protect the floor from scratches and scuffs, and other dings.

sirrahbed
09-18-2009, 02:26 PM
I would be so excited to find real solid flooring and am really excited that YOU are going to try restoring them :D I will look forward to pictures of the process.