PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Pet for 6th graders

Stenograsaurus
10-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good pet for a 6th grade classroom? My co-worker's daughter wants to get a pet for her classroom. She's concerned with allergies so she doesn't want to get anything hairy like a hamster. The school already has an iguana and a pond with goldfish and a turtle. She had had a beta fish for two years while in college and when it died they had a funeral for it. She said it would be too traumatic for her to have another beta now. So does anyone have any suggestions?

ramanth
10-04-2002, 01:48 PM
I was going to suggest an iguana but she already has one. That really narrows it down since she doesn't want fish or anything hairy. Hmmmm.. a bird maybe?

Sam's My Baby
10-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Maybe a bird! Or maybe you cold have some other type of reptiles, OR u could have frogs or fish!:)

Cookiebaker
10-04-2002, 02:53 PM
finches?? They are lively, low maintenance, easy to care for, etc.

Uabassoon
10-04-2002, 03:28 PM
What about a rat, they aren't as fuzzy as hamsters. WHen I was younger we also had parakeets as class pets.

Nomilynn
10-04-2002, 03:49 PM
We had guinae pigs in my grade four class.. that was fun but the tended to pee everywhere (kids didn't put them back in the cage before bathroom time came up). A bird might be cool too. Would the pet stay in the clas over weekends? If so it needs to be something that can tend to itself overnight and stuff. :D

mugsy
10-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Gross or not, our 6th grade science teacher ordered some Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches and the kids LOVE them. They had babies and the kids fought over who got to take them home. They ended up having like a lottery I think to decide who got the babies!! lol The kids actually carry them around the room on their shoulders. If you're not familiar with them...they don't look like a cockroach. They're about 3 inches long and are brown with segments on them. Last time I checked, no one has had an allergic reaction to them! lol

They also have rats (who, by the way, are really cuddly.

Cookiebaker
10-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Get a bird! A cockatiel, conure, or larger parrot may be a good choice. They make great pets and if the kids get to interact with them, the bird will begin to love kids and they will love it also.

But wouldn't bigger birds also tend to bite?? Take a sixth grader that "accidentally" pulled the tail feather out, and the bird bites out of defense. Also wouldn't it take a long time for a bird to tame to many different little hands??

Stenograsaurus
10-04-2002, 08:22 PM
It would have to be something that could stay in the classroom over the weekend. I think that would rule out a bird. Plus she feels that they're too messy. I like the frog idea. I've never heard of these cockroaches. I'll have to look into that so I can have info. for her if I suggest it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If you can think of any others, let me know.

ownerof3dogs
10-05-2002, 12:04 AM
I would say get a rat. They are the best rodents. They are better then hamsters b/c I've found that they love to be with people and rarely try to run away. And another bonus is they are very smart and don't bite.(the only time they might bite is when you first buy it)

I had a rat named Rocco and he was the best. He even gave my kisses like a dog. and he didn't try to run away I could sit in the living room and let him run around and then i would call him and he'd come running. They really are the best