PDA

View Full Version : Update #92 -- Morgan has no more mouth problems.

Moesha
09-12-2009, 06:34 PM
My baby has a big sore in his mouth. I'm not sure if it is an infected tooth or not, but it could be. I finally put together a few things he has been doing. Nothing that by itself indicated anything was wrong. But last night I put them all together and thought something might be wrong with his mouth. I was in bed then. I forgot about it until I was walking out the door this morning. I wish I had looked then, but I didn't look until I got back home around 5. Of course the vet's office is closed until Monday. Is there anything I can do for him to make him more comfortable or help heal before taking him to the vet first thing Monday. The ER vet is over an hour away and if necessary I will take him there, but he hates being in the car. He does eat some although not as much as usual. It bothers him if I look at it too much. So I am trying to leave it alone. My friend has some Clindamyacin left from her dog last week. They are capsules and 75mg each. She is sending them to me tonight. I could open them and give him some of that if I knew what amount would work for him. He usually gets it in liquid form. I don't know what to do. He's 11 years old and diabetic, even though that is controlled with food and not insulin at the moment. I'm planning on leaving to go to Disney a week from Thursday. I don't want to go if my baby isn't feeling better. I know many of you have dealt with mouth problems with your kitties. I've read many of the threads, but of course the information doesn't make as big of an impression when you haven't dealt with it yourself.

columbine
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Guesswork with antibiotics is probably a bad idea - if it is bacterial, expired antibiotics, the wrong kind, or not enough could just strengthen the bugs.

An ice cube in his water might help him numb it by drinking. Is he getting soft food? If he gets kibble, moistening it might help.

Best of luck to both of you! Please keep us posted.

Love, Columbine

Moesha
09-12-2009, 08:12 PM
The antibiotics were prescribed last week so they are fresh. He loves canned food, but if he eats too much of it, more than a teaspoon, he pukes it up. I gave him more earlier, and he puked. I have given him some baked chicken. I wish I had looked in his mouth this morning. I could have taken him in and gotten medicine for him then. :( I feel like such a bad mommy. He still is acting like himself though.

Pinot's Mom
09-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Where exactly is this "sore"? That's of huge importance. I'm serious, PM me; I'll call you.

Maggie

Moesha
09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
It is toward the back of his mouth on the right side. I think it has been bothering him for a little while but I didn't recognize the signs. He's been drooling for a couple of weeks, but only when he is purring. He eats, but not as much as usual. I'm sure that is why.

moosmom
09-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Have they ruled out thyroid? Usually the sore in the mouth is one of the first signs, along with vomiting. Since he is 11, it might be a good idea to rule that out.

I've got 2 senior cats here and worry all the time. Mollie Rose is showing signs of kidney probs. She drinks alot of water and pees alot. I know it's only a matter of time. I've been assured by the vet that she is comfortable (with the held of chlortimeton for allergies) and not in any pain.

Good luck with Morgan and please, keep us posted on Morgan.

Moesha
09-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks moosmom. I'll ask the vet tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure it is a tooth. He hasn't been vomiting regularly. He only did that after eating the larger amount of canned food last night. That is something that he's done for years. In fact, when he went to the vet a few months back because of possible crystals and he had to stay over night. The vet was really concerned and did a full panel blood work on him because he was vomiting then. They were giving him canned food to eat because it was higher in water content. That was the problem. He has eaten this morning and doesn't seem to be in obvious discomfort. He was his usual attention. Every once in a while I will notice him moving his tongue around inside his mouth like he is licking at something. I am leaving now for a few hours. When I get back I may call the ER vet to ask them about the antibiotics. I'm sure they won't give me medical advice over the phone though. So I'll probably only call if he gets worse. Other than that, we'll be making a trip to the local vet first thing tomorrow morning.

moosmom
09-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I'll be curious as to what the vet says.\

Good luck, Moesha.;)

allmycats
09-14-2009, 12:47 AM
did you find out what the sore is?

Moesha
09-14-2009, 06:17 AM
I'll call the vet's office when they open at 8 this morning and take him in first thing.

Medusa
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
I haven't been on PT too much lately but I just want to add my good wishes and prayers that all will be well w/Morgan. I'll wait for a good report. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I hope that everything will turn out okay for him and that it's nothing too serious. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Moesha
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately it is not good news. I am updating from the blackberry, so can't
Go into much detail. Vet looked at it and immediately said, "Oh, Moe. That is a tumor.". He is removing it and doing a biopsy today. I will know more after that. Biopsy results won't be back for 5 days. I will try to tether this thing to the laptop after I am done cleaning this house to do some research and post more here. It does not look good for my baby right now.

Barbara
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh my- isn't it just terrible- you think there is something wrong- but it doesn't make the impression of being all too bad- and then you go- and there it is, a really big scary problem. I hope so much it can be treated. Sending all my best wishes to you and Morgan.

moosmom
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Oh Moesha, I'm sorry about Morgan. Maybe they caught it in time. Please tell us the minute you hear anything.

You need to talk, I'll PM you with my phone number. I have unlimited minutes so I can call you right back.

Pinot's Mom
09-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Moesha, unfortunately that is what I was afraid of, and why I was asking where it was. Let me know exactly what it's called; I may have insight. I'm PMing you.

Moesha
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Thank you guys so much. I really don't deserve your kind words. I have been terrible at posting support for the sick kitties or the ones that have died lately. It's been so hard for me. I've read all the posts and have wanted to respond, but I couldn't make myself. Now here I am on the other end receiving your kind words, and I feel so bad about it.

I knew the second the vet looked at Morgan's mouth that it wasn't going to be good news. First he blurted out that it was a tumor then he tried to go back and retrace his words and mentioned the possibility of stomachtitis. I just know it is the cancer. I don't know if I can bring him home this afternoon. Right now I have a very dear friend going through treatment for ovarian cancer. I will not put my baby through that type of thing. I have also watched as a dear friend of mine had a poodle that they finally put to sleep last week. She was 16 and had kidney problems and dementia. I don't want those kinds of memories of Morgan. He deserves better than that. If there were anything in the world that I could do to fix this or make it all better, I would spend every penny I have. But I fear this is something that will only get worse. I know the vet said 5 days for results, but I don't know if I can bring him home and then have to make that decision to take him back. I'm wondering if when I talk to the vet this afternoon, if he is sure it is cancer, if I should just let Morgan go now. He hates the car rides so much. He knew when I was coming to get him this morning and I found him hiding in the corner. He would still be groggy from the anesthesia. I can't believe I'm actually typing this out. I don't know what to do. I want only the best for my boy. He has had good quality of life up to this point. I don't want him to have to suffer at all. I will update after the vet's office calls. That should be within the hour. Thank you all again.

Moesha
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, they just called. The vet got all that he could out of there. With it being gum tissue, it is hard to get good margins to make sure he got it all. He's still groggy and I can pick him up between 4:30 and 5. Now we wait to get results back. I remember EmeraldGreen and Tiger with their battle and the Transfer Factor. I think Haggis is going through that right now and using TF. Perhaps I'll order some and try that. I just don't want him to suffer at all, but I don't want anyone to think that I'm giving up on him either. I would do anything in the world for my baby. I had them do blood work and they said that looked good. His sugar was a little elevated but that could have been due to stress.

Prairie Purrs
09-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Many healing thoughts for Morgan! I'll be hoping for good test results.

Medusa
09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
We all know that you'll do your best for Morgan; that's a given, so no worries there. We're just so sorry that Morgan is having this issue and that it's so hard on you. Please know that prayers are going up and continuing for you both. Keep the faythe. (((HUGS))) :love:

Moesha
09-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Well we're back home. When I got there they said I could go straight to the back to see him. I met the vet in the hallway, so he came back with me. Morgan was passed out cold in the back of the kennel. As we were talking he must have heard my voice. He was wide awake, crying and trying to get out. He's a funny boy.

He's lost 3 pounds since his annual checkup in May. The vet said he thinks it is probably cancer, but we'll wait for the results to come back from the histopath. He said that there are some "good" gum cancers and some bad ones. Of course they are all bad, but some are worse than others. We'll just wait to see how the tests come back and decide treatment from there. There was no way I could not bring him home today. He was acting so normal and definitely wanted to be with me. So now I guess we make sure he is comfortable and have to decide when his quality of life is not there anymore.

Thanks again to everyone, even those of you that read this and haven't posted. Believe me, I have been there and completely understand.

TommyCat
09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts for Morgan and for you in whatever you decide. It's so difficult making a decision on treatment with cancer for our pets. I lost my 16 year old kitty to cancer last year, so I know what you're going thru with Morgan and trying to do the right thing for him.

krazyaboutkatz
09-15-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this latest news.:( Hopefully the biopsy results will bring some good news and if not then hopefully there will still be some kind of treatment for him to help his quality of life. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. I know you'll do what's best for him. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
09-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Good to hear Morgan is back. Tigris' biopsy results will not be back before 4-5 days so we both are waiting. But Tigris comes home too tonight so at least we have our babies and they are not under immediate threat.
I am totally with you about treatment. I already feel very bad that Tigris needed to have that biopsy but how could I have gone on with not even knowing what he had?

ChrisH
09-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your dear boy.

Moesha
09-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks again.

He is hungry. He cries for food and tries to eat, but his mouth is obviously bothering him. He'll only eat maybe a bite or two. I have a smorgasbord of food out for him to choose from. I'm going to go and get some chicken breasts to boil for him. Maybe he'll be able to eat that and I can use the broth from the chicken to soften his dry food some and entice him to eat a little more of that. I do have pain medicine to give him twice a day. I'm trying to wait a little longer so that he'll sleep while I'm gone. And then his second dosage will be more toward the evening for him to be able to sleep at night as well. I'm also picking up some of the EVO canned food later this afternoon. I don't know what else to do.

Other than the eating problem, he is himself. He came in and sat with me first thing this morning and purred. This is so hard.

Anikaca77
09-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Mo I'm so sorry to hear about Morgan.

Prays are coming your way.

Melissa

Pinot's Mom
09-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Pureed or baby food; he probably can't handle anything else. You might also have to hand (spoon) feed. I know how tough this is - I'm sorry.:(

Thanks again.

He is hungry. He cries for food and tries to eat, but his mouth is obviously bothering him. He'll only eat maybe a bite or two. I have a smorgasbord of food out for him to choose from. I'm going to go and get some chicken breasts to boil for him. Maybe he'll be able to eat that and I can use the broth from the chicken to soften his dry food some and entice him to eat a little more of that. I do have pain medicine to give him twice a day. I'm trying to wait a little longer so that he'll sleep while I'm gone. And then his second dosage will be more toward the evening for him to be able to sleep at night as well. I'm also picking up some of the EVO canned food later this afternoon. I don't know what else to do.

Other than the eating problem, he is himself. He came in and sat with me first thing this morning and purred. This is so hard.

Moesha
09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
He was able to eat a little a/d food that I picked up at the vet's office and also some kitten milk. The vet said that as long as he is drinking he can go a day or so without worrying about food. He is so hungry though. He also said that I could increase his pain medicine from twice a day to every 6-8 hours. It'll just take a few days for that sore in his mouth to heal up. It doesn't seem to bother him, unless he is trying to eat. Thanks for reminding me about the baby food idea. I know I looked locally for plain chicken baby food but couldn't find any. My neighbor has a baby that she feeds only organic baby food. Perhaps I'll ask her if she has any chicken I could get from her. At least he has had some nutrition today, although it hasn't been a lot.

jennielynn1970
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm so sorry to be reading about Morgan's mouth issues! I haven't been keeping up with what is going on in PT with all the summer activities and being away from home, but I'll be catching up as soon as I can with the other threads. I think we all get inundated at times, so I think we all can be forgiven.

I hope that you can find something for Morgan to eat that will not hurt his tender gums. Poor boy. Gerber makes a chicken and chicken broth that Calloway used to love (as well as turkey, beef, ham and veal). There wasn't any onion, garlic or anything else in it, and it was a stage 1 or step 1 bottle I believe.

Tons of get well wishes and gentle hugs and scritchies going out for Morgan.

krazyaboutkatz
09-16-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry to hear that he's in a lot of pain.:( Hopefully you'll be able to find something that he'll be able to eat. I used to buy Beech Nut Turkey & Turkey Broth or the Chicken & Chicken Broth. They're stage one. Good luck. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Moesha
09-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I hate the ups and downs of these roller coasters!

He did well eating this morning. He had some a/d and some EVO canned and a bit of baby food as well. He still couldn't drink much at all. I went by the vet's office and picked up another can of a/d. They are very concerned with what the result is going to be. The vet tech, who has been there for longer than Morgan has been alive, said that it looked really nasty. I think they are all trying to prepare me for the worst. I do appreciate that, but it confuses me. I've had kitties with congestive heart failure and hepatitis before. I did everything I possibly could to help them because there was always a chance of them getting better. There is no chance of Morgan recovering from this cancer, especially if it is the bad kind that everyone is warning me about. He is only going to get worse. I cried all the way home. I just don't know what to do. I don't want him to suffer for a minute, but how do I decide to put him to sleep when he is still acting like my baby boy? I don't think I can.

Then I got home and he is right there at the door to meet me. Then he is up in my lap on his back wanting his belly rubbed. He's purring up a storm and licking my tears away. I did notice that his mouth was bothering him. It had been 9 hours since he had pain medicine, so I gave him some. He HATES that process. I don't even want to put him through that much discomfort, but I will at least until we know what we are dealing with. Then within 5 or 10 minutes he was over at his water bowl drinking like there was no tomorrow! What a relief. I had been making arrangements for my mom to take him in to the vet's office tomorrow to get some sub-q treatment because he just wasn't able to drink, and I couldn't stand shooting the re-hydration concoction in with a syringe. This is going to be such a slow process I am afraid. At least he must be healing inside his mouth. Because even after the pain medicine yesterday he couldn't drink much.

Other than that, he is just like his normal self. He squawks and purrs and follows me around. I don't want bad memories of my baby. I always encourage people to think of the good memories to help them get through the loss of a pet. But looking back at Simone and Olivia, it is those care taking memories that haunt me. This is so unfair. I have faithfully checked his entire body for any odd lump. We had the vet look at everything I found. How in the world could I have missed this huge tumor in his mouth? I feel like I let him down.

Medusa
09-16-2009, 07:05 PM
No, Mo, you didn't let Morgan down. It's easy to miss something like that, especially when you are faithful about looking for such things. It was this time of year last year that I was going through my turmoil w/Puddy. She was having good days and bad and just when I thought it was time to give her release, she'd bounce back and be her old self, if only briefly. All I can say is what everyone was telling me back then: you'll know when it's time. As long as Morgan is not obviously in pain and he's acting like himself, why not enjoy those wonderful, good moments? If you see him slipping away and withdrawing into himself, becoming depressed or if he appears to be in pain, then you'll do the loving thing and help him in the way that he needs it. Please know that my prayers go up for you today and always and we pray w/out ceasing in this household. (((HUGS))) Keep the faythe. :love:

cassiesmom
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Prayers for Morgan, and a candle
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9184144

Moesha
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys. I apologize for dumping my frustrations on you here. I just can't express myself to my friends and family completely just yet.

In other news, Morgan is running around the house like a crazy kitten at the moment. :D I'm trying to stay awake for another hour and a half to give him his pain medicine. I may have to go to bed and then set the alarm clock.

ETA: Now he is wrestling with Aroara. Don't try telling him that he has cancer! If he isn't going to let it bother him, I'm going to try to not let it bother me. Easier said than done though, I know.

Pinot's Mom
09-17-2009, 08:13 AM
We're here, and praying, for both of you. As I've told you, I'm very familiar with your situation; it's nothing you missed, and there's nothing you could have done. My baby Jamara was 18 when she fell prey to Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma, although I didn't know it at the time, it wasn't until later I found out what it was.

Enjoy Morgan, pray it's treatable, cry when you need to and vent on PT. We'll all listen, and many of us have been there. Sending hugs to you and gentle headbumpies to Morgan.:love:

Maggie

Moesha
09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
It is fibrosarcoma. It is an aggressive cancer. Basically we just keep him comfortable until the tumor grows back and then say good bye. The doctor said maybe 3 to 6 months. He isn't eating much food at all. He will devour treats though. I bought some pill pockets, and he LOVES those. He wasn't crazy about the transfer factor in them though. I'm going to keep trying. He ate about half of a capsule. I'm cooking some chicken for him. I will use the broth and perhaps entice him to drink that with some TF in it. Or I may try to see if a pharmacy can compound part of it into something he'd like. I'm not going to torture him with it. I remember Tiger and Barney not enjoying it either. We'll just do our best and enjoy our time together the best that we can. Thanks guys.

Killearn Kitties
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry about Morgan's diagnosis, and I hope he is comfortable for a few months yet. Spoil that boy like crazy. :love:
Please give him a big, big hug from me.

Grace
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm so sorry, Moesha. Will keep you all in my prayers.

Randi
09-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Moesha, I'm so sorry to hear about Morgan. :( I hope you can keep him comfortable and pain free.

Please give him some gentle kisses from me. :love:

(((hugs)))

Pinot's Mom
09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Moesha, I can't tell you how sorry I am. I know it's very hard, and I know you're doing the best you can for Morgan.

You're in all our prayers and thoughts.

(((((hugs)))))

jennielynn1970
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh gosh... not the news you wanted to hear, I know. Poor Morgan.

I hope that things will not get worse, I'll just keep thinking that.

Many prayers going out for you and for Morgan. Gentle hugs and scritchies for him as well.

pomtzu
09-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis. I've been following this thread - hoping for a better prognosis.

My heart breaks for you, as I have been down this same road too many times before. The diagnosis wasn't the same, but the outcome was. Just do what you can for him and keep him comfortable and happy for the time you have left together.

{{{Hugs}}} to you, and a kiss on the nose for Morgan.

Medusa
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Mo, I'm sorry that the diagnosis was the one that you dreaded. Please know that we're w/you all the way and that Morgan and you will always be just a thought away. :love:

moosmom
09-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Mo,

I'm sorry to hear about Morgan's tumor. It's not your fault. How many people do you know that look in their cat's mouths??? I don't.

Keep Morgan comfortable and love him like you've never loved him before. I hope the doctor can give you something to aleviate the pain.

You and Morgan will be in my thoughts and prayers.

slick
09-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I am one of those who reads but hasn't posted much.
First of all, don't beat yourself up. You are doing all you can for your baby and you are a wonderful Meowmie. :love:

I'm so sorry to hear of the diagnosis. :( Wouldn't it be wonderful if our furfamily to live as long as we do??? Saying good-bye is never easy - I know, I've had to make that decision with my RB Speckles.

All I can offer you at this point is lots of prayers and this:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9190444

slick :love:

Moesha
09-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Thank you so much for the candles. They are so touching.
Actually, the vet tech talked to the vet and they did give me something else for Morgan to help with pain. After the surgery, I asked for pain medicine for him and was given torb something. It is a narcotic that the vet said would knock Morgan out. Wrong! But I do think it helps his surgery pain. At first it was every 12 hours then he increased it to every 6-8 hours. Now that he has the cancer diagnosis confirmed, the vet tech asked if Morgan could have Metacam also since that will help with inflammation as well. There are very few pain medicines that they give to cats because of the liver problems. They said that metacam can damage kidneys, but since we are dealing with a cancer patient with a limited amount of time left, he's getting that also. It is the tiniest amount. I don't think it is more than a drop or two at the most. Right now we just want him to eat and drink. I can tell that he is hungry, but he won't eat anything I have offered him, except plain pill pockets and temptations treats. :rolleyes: UNTIL...I remembered that I had a little bit of s/d dry food left from his urine problem episode several months back. He loved that stuff. In fact, he refused to eat his d/m after getting off of the s/d. That's when we switched to the EVO. Anyway, I just put some of that in his bowl and he ate all of it and wanted more. Right now, if he will eat it, I will give it to him. I think I will take him in tomorrow morning to get some fluids and have the vet look in his mouth though. It looks like I may be buying more s/d also. We'll see what the vet says about that. Thanks again everyone!

krazyaboutkatz
09-18-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm so sorry hear about Morgan's diagnosis.:( I hope that the pain meds will make him stay comfortable and that you'll be able to find a food that he'll enjoy eating. You're both in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
09-18-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm so sorry.
Just enjoy how he is right now, wrestling and running like a kitten. Try to build up memories. Morgan has the bestest meowmie and leads a life full of love. He would have developed that cancer under all circumstances- but here he is surrounded of love and the best care that can be provided under the circumstances- that's all that counts.

Medusa
09-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Toward the end w/Puddy, all she would eat was fudgsicles. I gave the gal what she wanted. Maybe you can give Morgan a lick of one occasionally. It might feel cool in his sore mouth. Prayers are continuing for you both.....:love:

Anikaca77
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Mo-

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer. My prays for you and Morgan.

melissa

Moesha
09-18-2009, 05:48 PM
We've finally had a pretty good day. I've finally eaten a couple times today, first time this week. I took Morgan in to be checked and given fluids. He is still very eager to eat the s/d food. The vet said that s/d would be fine, since it is nutritionally balanced enough for it to be his main food. I have enough of it to last for the weekend. If he is still willing to eat that as eagerly as he has been the last 24 hours, I'll buy another bag of it. My mom purchased a bag full of treats and canned food for him today as well. I think the fluids helped him a lot. He just wasn't able to drink enough and was behind in his healing because of that. I'll be happy once his surgery site heals up. The doctor said it was healing but still indicated it looked "yucky", my word not his. Morgan has been with me since I've gotten home, even coming up and taking his nap while I watched TV. I'm trying to live in the moment and not think of the inevitable.

ETA: Well he just ate some Whiskas canned food as well. Again he turned up his nose at the pill pocket with the transfer factor in it. I also finally found some poo in the litter box. It was very runny, although the vet's office did say that could happen due to the metacam. Or it could just be from the surgery and the stressful week. This was his first bowel movement since the surgery on Monday.

Medusa
09-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to live in the moment and not think of the inevitable.

You're taking a good approach and have the right attitude, my girl. I wish you many more happy months w/your special boy. :love:

Prairie Purrs
09-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Sending hugs for you and gentle snuggles for sweet Morgan.

Moesha
09-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks again guys.

Morgan had a good day. I didn't give him pain medicine this morning. He ate and drank well. I stayed home today, and he followed me everywhere Every time I sat down, he was on my lap. He still refused the transfer factor. I tried mixing it in with canned food. He took a few licks and that was that. I tried mixing it with water and using a syringe. It went all over the floor. I'm going to ask pharmacies about compounding it. I'm sure he'll still hate it. Once he is done with the antibiotic and pain medicine for good, I may be willing to make him take one dosage of this a day. If I can find a way to get it in him. It's the only thing that I can do as a treatment. Of course, Aroara scarfed the wet food that had the transfer factor mixed in with it. :rolleyes: Isn't that what EmeraldGreen went through as well?

mrspunkysmom
09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Morgan.

allmycats
09-20-2009, 01:10 AM
I am also so sorry about sweet Morgan.

I hate to sound dumb, but what is "transfer factor"?:confused:

Moesha
09-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Transfer Factor is an immune supplement that I believe Catty1 found when EmeraldGreen was dealing with cancer in her kitty, Tiger. I think there are a couple of other cancer kitties on here that are taking it as well. Since there isn't any effective treatment for the kind of cancer that Morgan has, I thought that I would try the transfer factor to see if it may slow down the tumor's return. It can be taken by humans or animals.Here is one link (http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/tf.htm)that gives some information about it. I purchased the human form for Morgan, since they said that many vets recommended the human dosage for animals that were already sick. It is a rather large capsule. I don't know what form the animal version is.

jennielynn1970
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Just checking in to see how Morgan is doing today. (((((HUGS)))) to you, Moesha, and lovies and scritchies to Morgan.

Anikaca77
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Mo-

I'll keep praying that you will have many good days with Morgan. If you ever need to talk or anything, just let me know.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of Morgan. Hugs & prays,

Melissa

cassiesmom
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Just checking in to see how Morgan is doing today. (((((HUGS)))) to you, Moesha, and lovies and scritchies to Morgan.

Same here and also (((HUGS)))) and lovies too

Moesha
09-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for asking about my babe.

He is doing well today. He's been eating and drinking. Although, I do wish he would drink more. Today is the last day of his antibiotics. He will let me rub his chin and cheeks, but he won't let me look at his gums. When I give him the medicine, I can tell that the roof of his mouth is a bit red. The transfer factor didn't go well this morning. I'll try again before bed. I may try to get one in every other day.

I have a dilemma though. I was supposed to be going to Disney World this Thursday through next Monday. I don't think that I can leave him. It helps that he is doing well, but I think that I would be a wreck thinking about him. I could only go if my sister would be able to come and stay with him for me. He loves her. So, we'll see.

Thanks again for asking about him. He appreciates all the loves being delivered. :D

ETA: We got the transfer factor in him tonight! He DID NOT like it. Afterward he went and hid on a shelf behind a chair. I took a picture of him that I'll try to upload and put on here. He was not happy with me. At least that was the last antibiotic for now.

Barbara
09-22-2009, 05:43 AM
I am sorry to hear Morgan doesn't like his medication. It's always worrying whether you freak them out with the treatment even more:(
Sorry for your weekend. I had a party planned last Saturday (for 2 months) which I cancelled on Wednesday- but I am glad I did it as I could not have enjoyed the preparations. Tigris always was a wonderful party host:(

Good luck for Morgan. I never knew exactly what it meant when they said "He'll tell you" but I know think I understand it better.

Moesha
09-22-2009, 09:35 PM
My sister said she would be available to come and stay with Morgan this weekend. I just don't think I would be able to stand being away from him for 5 days. I go crazy just being gone during the daytime. He is also very happy to see me come home. He always comes over and makes sure to sit with me for quite a while. I don't think I'll be going to Florida. Who knows if we could make it through Atlanta to get there anyway.

In other news, I stopped at Walgreens in the next town north of me and asked if they could compound the transfer factor. I wasn't able to find any in my small town that would. She said that they do compound and took down the specifics about the ingredients. She said she would have to call someone to make sure they could be compounded into a liquid form and would let me know tomorrow. The only problem is that the pharmacy is 40 minutes away. So I will have to drive back over there tomorrow if she can do it. Anything for my baby though. :)

Catty1
09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Great news about the compounding!

I wonder...can the capsule be opened and some of the powder mixed in to good stinky wet food twice a day or something?

Bless your sister! I hope you have a good time.:)

Moesha
09-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Tried it and that was a definite NO from Morgan. Aroara came up afterward and gobbled the food, so at least it wasn't wasted. :rolleyes: I tried mixing it in pill pockets, chicken broth, wet food. The only way I was getting any in him was to mix it with water and use a syringe. Half of that ended up on the floor. Hopefully the compounding will be easier. I asked if she could make it fishy or taste like chicken. We'll see how it goes. I have a feeling he still won't like it. But he doesn't have to have any other medicines at the moment. Hopefully I can get one dosage in him once a day or at least every other day.

mrspunkysmom
09-23-2009, 12:04 AM
I know how you feel. Sam won't let me pill him or trick him into taking medicine. He hid for the last two days if he thought I was trying to medicate him. It was shots at the doctor. It's jsut easier.

Medusa
09-23-2009, 05:39 AM
When Puddy was in her decline, there was a conference that I go to every year and I just couldn't bring myself to go last year. I just didn't want to leave her. (She was in such a bad state that I couldn't have done that to my cat sitter anyhow.) I was glad that I didn't go because, if I had, Puddy would've died while I was gone. So I understand exactly what you're going through, however, I also understand how necessary it is to get away and clear your head for a bit. Our peace of mind is important, too. So, whatever you decide, do so w/a clear conscience. What will be will be. Keep the faythe. :love:

Anikaca77
09-23-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm glad you were able to get some meds in Morgan. It's never easy it seems. I'll keep saying prays that Morgan does well and if you go have a good time.

Melissa

Catty1
09-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I think they can compound the TF in a chicken flavour. if nothing else, it might be easier to mix in food with it being flavoured.

Hugs and prayers for you and Morgan.:love:

Moesha
09-23-2009, 06:50 PM
The transfer factor is going to be compounded in a fish concoction of tuna, salmon and sardines. It has to do something over night, so I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow. Walgreens couldn't/wouldn't do it. The pharmacist called me and after talking to corporate headquarters, they wouldn't allow her to do it since it is an over the counter item. She gave me the name and number for another pharmacy in the same town. I called them and she was very nice and willing to do it. I'm getting 20 of the pills compounded. Let's hope it goes well!

In other news, I have decided not to go on vacation. I thought and thought about it. I know Morgan would be well taken care of by my sister. I just decided that very soon I would be willing to do almost anything to be able to spend 5 more days with him. So, I'm staying home to do that now. :D

Pinot's Mom
09-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Moesha, you're making the right decision regarding THIS vacation; your state of mind would not be in the right place for it. I'm glad you found someone to do the compounding-there's always a way! Good luck, and keep us posted.

Moesha
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
So far so good with the transfer factor! This suspension is really thick! It is in a squeeze bottle, but the pharmacist also gave me a syringe. I was dreading the thought of having to syringe another thing into Morgan. It stresses him out and makes him upset. First I put a squirt of it in a bowl to see if he would just eat it. Nope. Then I got some salmon canned food and mixed it in good and then added a bit more. At first there was just a tentative lick or two. Eventually he ate most of the glob. Then I went back and added a little more canned food. Voila! It's all gone. It sounds like more food than it really was. I just used one of those small Whiskas cans. He ate maybe a third of one total. If he will eat it like this, I will be so happy.

Last night I gave him some of the Metacam because he looked like his mouth was bothering him. I don't know if it did any good. He slept with me for the first time in about a year or more. He used to sleep with me all of the time, but since I've changed where I sleep, he will only take a nap with me in there. He'll come in there in the mornings and lay above me. But last night he came in and laid right next to my side with my arm wrapped around him all night. I could tell he was doing a lot of tongue licking. Not licking anything in particular, just moving his tongue around. This morning I gave him some of the other pain medicine and haven't noticed him doing that today. He's eaten and has had quite a bit of water as well. I may just have to keep giving him the pain medicine. That won't be too bad as long as he keeps eating the transfer factor on his own. I'm not getting my hopes up though. He can be stubborn. hehe At least he had a dosage today. :D

Catty1
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Great!

Just mixing it up with stinky wet cat food does it!

Can't recall how many caps a cat should have per day?

SO glad it is working out so far.:)

Moesha
09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm going to be glad if he will take one capsule a day. I got the human formula rather than the pet formula. I think it says 2 capsules for a person. Since he is only 15 pounds now, I think one for him will be plenty. They said that there hasn't been a case of an overdose. He gets a bit of canned food in the morning and in the evening to supplement his dry food. I think if I can add the TF to one of those feedings, I will be happy. She mixed the suspension so that 2ml has one capsule's worth of transfer factor in it.

Medusa
09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
That sounds promising, Moesha. Better and better......

cassiesmom
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
More prayers and a candle for Morgan...
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9235148

Pinot's Mom
09-24-2009, 09:37 PM
That does sound promising and I'm glad to hear it. Prayers coming! :love:

I'll be out of touch for a little over a week, but I'll check back in when we get home - Good Luck!

Maggie

pomtzu
09-26-2009, 06:27 PM
How's Morgan doing?

And how's Morgan's Meowmie holding up?

You've both been in my thoughts and prayers, even tho I haven't posted here. I'm a little like you I guess - I read but don't post as often as I should......:o:(

Moesha
09-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Morgan is doing well at the moment. He's eaten the transfer factor mixed with food for the last 3 days. He didn't want to eat it today at first, but I just left it down and took a nap. When I woke up, he had eaten it. He's been running around playing with his tunnel and with Aroara this afternoon. So as long as Morgan is doing well, his meowmie is doing well. I tear up every day at some point, but at least I'm eating again. I'm glad that I am here, even though he is doing so well, he would have been fine with my sister staying with him. I just would have been a bag of nerves if I couldn't check on him myself. My other sister and her husband and my mom have been calling and texting from Disney keeping posted on what they are doing. They were at Epcot yesterday and the Food and Wine Festival had just started. They kept telling me about all the different foods they were eating.

Thanks for asking about us. I keep thinking about posting here but basically have the same stuff to say. He's doing well right now. I keep thinking about Haggis and that the vet gave him 2 months to live and that was almost a year ago. I don't want to get my hopes up about that happening for Morgan. I don't know if the Transfer Factor has any effect or not, but as long as he will eat it, I'll give it to him. It surely can't hurt.

Thanks again for the thoughts. We both appreciate them.

krazyaboutkatz
09-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're now able to get him to take the Transfer Factor. Hopefully this will help him and he'll be with you for a long time to come.:) He still remains in my thoughts and prayers.

katladyd
09-27-2009, 02:43 PM
There have been some amazing stories connected with TF. I didn't have much faith in it, but after reading some of the stories on here with cats that have stayed healthy on TF, I'm a believer now. Go, Morgan, go!:love:

Barbara
09-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Good to hear Morgan is fine- that's what we always hoped for Tigris thta he would have some more happy days. Enjoy them :)

moosmom
09-27-2009, 03:06 PM
That's wonderful news!! You have been in my thoughts and prayers, girl.

Moesha
09-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys again. You are such a source of support and I really appreciate that. Especially when so many are dealing with losses of your own. Morgan didn't want to eat the Transfer Factor today. I left it out until he ate his "medicine mush" as I call it. When I came in, somehow a cricket got it as well. He has taken care of that intruder. I am going to have to dog sit for 10 days starting on Wednesday.

I will have to spend the nights away from home, but my mom will be back from Florida to take care of Morgan. Plus I will be here for periods throughout the day to check in on him. I don't know if dog sitting was the right choice or not, but somehow I'll make it work. The people live about 10 minutes from my house. I'm just so not a dog person, but I need this money to help pay for the extra vet bills and food and medicines for Morgan. I'll just be running a bit more than usual. Hopefully Morgan will barely notice a change in the routine.

Catty1
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
As long as Mom makes sure he eats his medicine mush! (I love that phrase), he'll be fine.

And you'll be checking in. Give him some lovins for me.

jennielynn1970
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
So glad to hear that Morgan is doing well and eating the transfer factor. I, too, hope that he doesn't notice much change in the routine when you dog sit. He'll be fine, and you'll be in and out, so I wouldn't worry too much (just the normal amount, lol). Hugs and scritchies to Morgan, and hugs to you too.

Moesha
09-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh I will be home every day to mix up his "medicine mush". I will be definitely be home a lot even when dog sitting. I have a very busy schedule quite often, so hopefully he won't notice much of a difference. I just won't be home at night. He's only started sleeping with me the last few nights. I'm hopeful that it will go well. He's doing quite well at the moment, so that will help me be away. And if I just can't stand it, I'll jump in the car and be home in 10 minutes!

I made a bit of a mistake today. We were getting low on the little cans of Whiskas. Those are what I have been using to mix up the Transfer Factor. My mom usually buys him his canned food. She has done that for all 11 years for him. It is their special thing. She went to Florida with my sister and her husband. So I thought I better go and get Morgan some more canned food. I thought that I would get the canned food with gravy so that it would be easier to disguise the TF. I got it home and opened the first can, salmon and shrimp. It was shredded! Morgan hates shredded! I knew that, but the can didn't say shredded. I just mixed it up anyway. He licked the gravy mostly and left the chunks. Good thing that the TF was a liquid mixed in with the gravy. :D

katladyd
09-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I am so hoping the TF works for Morgan! I'm glad you finally found a way to give it to him! Best wishes!:)

Anikaca77
09-29-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm so glad that Morgan is doing well at the moment. I will continue to say prays for him and for you.

Take care,
Melissa

slick
09-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm glad he's doing better Moesha!!! Medicine mush....LOL :D I have to laugh because I give Max some lactulose mixed in with his wet food but never thought about giving it a nickname. I'll have to think of one. Oh yes, and Max refuses to eat the shredded stuff also. He won't even lick the gravy - just tries to bury it.

Moesha
10-05-2009, 02:13 PM
For the rest of the developments that have taken place, here is a link to Morgan's memorial/tribute thread. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2195659#post2195659)

moosmom
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Moesha,

I am so sorry for your loss. Like I said, take comfort in knowing that she is in a better place, along with Mollie Rose.

RIP beautiful, sweet Morgan. Play hard at the Rainbow Bridge with Mollie Rose and all the beloved pets. See you "One Fine Day".