PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve - phone call solicitations

gini
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a diabetic niece so I was happy to donate to the American Diabetes Association in her name. Little did I know what the result be.

I receive mail from them every week - "a reminder" "have you forgotten" and so forth.

But the latest is maddening. I receive a call from them every single day. I have stopped answering the phone calls after I realized who was calling.

The phone number is 410 774 8230. I am on the do not call list - but charities can still get through.

These are hard times and many charities are really hurting. But I feel any money that I donated has been turned over to their solicitation department and not to research for a cure.

Cinder & Smoke
09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
But the latest is maddening. :mad:
I receive a call from them every single day.
I have stopped answering the phone calls after I realized who was calling.

The phone number is 410 774 8230.
I am on the do not call list - but charities can still get through.

I called that number ...
It answers with a recording ... listen to it for 30 seconds and it asks if you'd
like to be REMOVED from their call list ...
Punch the correct response number, then at the prompt enter YOUR phone that you don't want them to call.

I can't guarantee success; but it's worth a try.

Grace
09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Phred's suggestion should work. During the election process last year, we got a call like that from McCain. I called the number back, and got the recording. Left my number - never received another call.

As for the rest of it, call the American Diabetes Association and firmly state you do not want them to share your address and/or phone number with ANYONE!!

I had to do this with another charity. It's a darn shame these places don't ask you if you want to opt-in, rather than making you opt-out.

Edwina's Secretary
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
When I donate to any non-profit I tell them if I receive more than solicitation a year I will not ever contribute again. Sometimes it works...:rolleyes:

But what really concerns is...my parents are elderly. My mother is a sucker for non-profits. Especially ones that send her something - like these nasty little blankets (good for donating to animal shelters though..!) or the cards.

My sister goes to visit them twice a day - they take care of her dog while she works. She offered to get the mail for them each day (mail box is at the bottom of the hill.) She then screens out all the solicitations.

When I visited last month I did it with her. "This is our third request!" shouted one mailer. Sounds rather frightening if you are elderly!:mad:

finn's mom
09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I always try to donate anonymously. I don't like receiving phone calls for things like that.

gini
09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I called that number ...
It answers with a recording ... listen to it for 30 seconds and it asks if you'd
like to be REMOVED from their call list ...
Punch the correct response number, then at the prompt enter YOUR phone that you don't want them to call.

I can't guarantee success; but it's worth a try.

I will try this - but there is a blog about it and people are saying it doesn't work - they still call. If you answer the phone no one is there. Thanks, Phred

I never - ever donate over the phone. Usually those are just phone banks and they get a percentage of what you donate if you do donate over the phone.

You wouldn't mind too much but there seems to be a charity for every day of the week and it gets old.

I have found that the do not call list DOES work - it has even stopped some of the faxes I was getting selling insurance. All they did was use up a huge amount of toner and those little cartridges aren't cheap!!

Grace
09-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I never - ever donate over the phone. Usually those are just phone banks and they get a percentage of what you donate if you do donate over the phone.

We never do either. When anyone calls, soliciting, I interrupt them and tell them to mail it. Then I hang up. That may be rude, but I didn't invite them into my space.

Randi
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Gini, that is SO annoying and very rude of them! :mad: I can certainly understand you're P O! I still get calls for John's company (which of course was closed years ago) from people who are trying to sell things.

What a friend of John's did to one company, was to send a fax with one word on each page late one evening. Can you imagine the pile of fax paper covering the floor the next morning. :D He never heard from them again.

RICHARD
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Talk to George Agdgdgwngo, He may be able to help you.

You just need a sort code and account number.;)

Asiel
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I get at least two calls a week from solicitors but I hang up on them. We donate to the charities of our coice and never to phone solicitations. I tried to get my number off the lst and it seems to have made it worse instead of better, so I don't think it works at this end.
As for the diabetes collections they are calls from people who pick up the stuff and them sort it to sell from a Value Village store so I don't donate to them anymore and as you say, after my first doantion they become almost unbearable with their calls.

happylabs
09-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I have caller ID now and I never answer the phone if I do not recognize the number. I am on the "Do Not Call List" too and I rarely get any solicitations, not even from charities. I guess they have all figured out I am too poor myself to contribute. I give all my charity money to my kitties! :D

Cinder & Smoke
09-11-2009, 02:27 PM
"This is our third request!" shouted one mailer. :mad:

"Only" three? :rolleyes:

One very important point to remember with the telephone solicitors >>>

I never - ever donate over the phone.
Usually those are just phone banks and they get a percentage of what you donate
if you do donate over the phone.

Rarely, if ever, are the phone solicitors "employees" of the charity ...
they work for third party solicitors whose only business is to call folks
and beg for money in the name of the charity who hires them.

And you won't believe just how LITLE of your donation is sent to the charity;
nor how MUCH of your donation is pocketed by the soliciting agency.
Just ASK 'em next time --- they're required to tell you if you ask ---
ASK what percentage of your donation is passed to the charity.
You won't like the answer you hear. :(

The real Cake Frosters are the law enforcement scams ... If I have time I ""play"
with them for as long as they'll fall for it ...

Usually starts with "HI, this is (slurred last name) "WITH your local police dept ...
"WE're" calling for (some project I never heard of - like ballistic shields for
the patrol car tires) and NEED your help."

He's already in trouble, but doesn't know it ...
I ask just WHICH 'local police dept' is he calling for?
* Oops1 "YOUR local police dept"
> What's it's NAME?
* Oops2 "Uhhhhhh ... BCPD" (We have NO local PD - only the County Sheriff)
> That's interesting ... when did that department form?
* Oops3 "Uhhhhhh ... let me check on that ..."
* Oops3 cont'd: ""Uhhh, they're working with the 'local sheriff on this".
> Cool - WHICH 'local sheriff'?
* Oops4 "Uhhh, the sheriff in Ma, Maa, M, 'Moaning' county"
> Are you trying to say "Mahoning" county?
* Oops5 "YEAH, that's it ... moaning county ... We just talked to "your sheriff"
> What's his name?
* Oops6 "Uhhh, well, *I* didn't talk to him; but "we" check with him most every day."

After about 5 minutes they start to get the hint that bucks are gonna be tight ...
one guy just blurted out "Are you going to Donate or not?"

I laughed and said I'd give him 2 cents for the entertainment value of his call;
then asked to be removed from their call list.
"Already done that!" was the reply - followed by **CLICK**!

phesina
09-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh, that's a good one to keep in mind for the next time I get one of those "cop" calls!

gini
09-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I never thought of having "phun" with them - but usually these are during work hours - and I just don't have the time or inclination.

I love the way they act like "you" have taken up "their" valuable time if you won't donate.

There is always the "give me your phone number and I will call you back"
that usually gets a quick hang up of the phone.