PDA

View Full Version : Very Sick Kitty -- Senor Guapo Blanco Gato being PTS today.

Jenn&Dean
09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I just wanted to write a little something about one of my kitties. Although when I moved out of my parents house, I let my mom keep him. He was her heart kitty.

Anyway, onto the story. I was home over the weekend for the holiday, I noticed he wasn't quite himself. I asked my mom how long he had been acting lathargic, she said that she had just noticed the day before. We made him an appointment to see the vet. We took him in, and the vet that looked at him is not our usual vet, but we thought we definitely didn't want to wait until Tuesday after the holiday. The vet examined him and said she thought he just had the flu, she said she had seen many cats the last few weeks with the flu. She gave us some sort of stomach conditioner to give to him to help get the contents of his stomach emptied because we also noticed, while not drinking or eating anything, he was also not using the litter box.

I was around for the entire weekend, including Monday, he just didn't seem to get any better. We were starting to get very worried that it probably wasn't just the "flu".

He went back to the vet Tuesday and they did some blood work. They called yesterday and said that his kidneys were not functioning. To bring him back in, and they were going to drain his bladder, and try to get some fluids in him. The vet said that was successful. So we were hopeful.

We got an update this morning that they noticed he had very labored breathing and was breathing with his mouth open, so they did an X-Ray and the bad news only got worse. They said he has very large tumors in his lungs, thus giving him trouble while breathing. The vet said he cannot say if they are cancer or scar tissue, the vet said he can come home, but will most likely not recover from his sickness, he would continue to be miserable.

I thought to myself, lay around and not eat or drink a thing, and starve to death. What a horrible way to end up.

I talked it over with my Mom, after many tears we decided we will be putting him to sleep today, with heavy hearts. Such a young boy. Only 5 years old. This is hitting me like a ton of bricks. After all, I thought he had the flu. The worst part about it is... I can't be there with him when he goes. I am 200+ miles away. Stuck in my office. :(

I don't know whether I should have an autopsy done to find out what is ailing him, or just let him go. I have never had to put a pet to sleep. In the past they have always just passed on to to old age. I am baffled at this point.

Thank you for reading, and all of the support you guys offer, it is amazing.

I will miss you Blanco-Baby.

Jenn&Dean

lvpets2002
09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
:( Oh I am so saddened to read about you & your mom's baby being so sick.. Yes I do think you both are making the right decision of Letting this sick baby go to the Bridge.. He wont be in any discomforts now.. RIP wittle one & God Spead to the Bridge & be a Angel now.. Bigg Huggss & Prayers for you & your mom in this time.. May your hearts heal soon..

moosmom
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
You did the right thing. I know I can't take it when one of my cats is sick. RIP sweet Senor Guapo Blanco Gato. You were truly loved and will be sorely missed.

krazyaboutkatz
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( You're doing the right thing. I've had to put down 2 of my cats and it never gets any easier.:( It's up to you if you'd like them to do a necropsy(I think that's what it's called). My former vet did one on my RB Pepper for free because he was very interested to see what had caused his sudden decline in health. He never found anything significant. RIP sweet boy.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Karen
09-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Rest in peace, Senor Guapo. Your struggles now are over, and you can breathe again, up at The Rainbow Bridge.

Catty1
09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
{{{{{{hugs}}}}}:

Play at the Bridge, Guapo, with all our dear furbabies that also left us too young.:(:love:

Pinot's Mom
09-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty; 5 is very young, but you're doing what a responsible pet parent has to do, unfortunately. It's the best for your baby.

Godspeed to the Bridge, Senor Guapo Blanco Gato, and Peace to your family.

happylabs
09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
So sorry to hear about your kitty. You are definitely doing the right thing. Having just gone through this on Monday with the Labrador love of my life Casey, it hits close to home.

It is never easy to have a pet put down but I think it would be worse in your case since your kitty is only 5. Casey was 13 and I was prepared, as much as one can be, for her to be leaving me.

Let me tell you, your kitty will not suffer at all. Casey was so peaceful when she was given the shot that I just have this memory of her in my head of her going slowly to sleep. Maybe your kitty and Casey will met up in heaven! Even though Casey was a dog she was a major cat lover! She loved our 4 kitties.

Our thoughts are with you. Please fee free to send me a PM if you like.

Bless you.

Helen/happylabs

RICHARD
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Senor Guapo Blanco is Spanish for Mr Handsome White One.

As a cat dad to my own Handsome Dude, my heart goes out to you.

Prayers to your household and Godspeed to the little one.:(

Jenn&Dean
09-10-2009, 03:19 PM
We just put him to sleep... My Dad is going to pick him up for me and take care of him.

Very sad day for me. Thank you for all your support and good thoughts. I really do appreciate it.

Jenn

phesina
09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
My very deepest sympathy to you and your family on the occasion of this difficult, painful, but kind and loving decision. Senor Guapo is now healthy and free as he settles in by the Bridge to wait for you and watch over you.

Prayers and hugs and a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=9143909

God bless you and keep you.

GILL
09-10-2009, 03:43 PM
We are so sorry too hear this. It is never easy to say good by, but sometimes you have too.It's much better to not have the pain. His life was in love and his memories will last forever.

astrid
09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh dear!! I'm so sorry for your Seņor Guapo, it's so hard to PTS our furry friends, but he's now pain free enjoying eternity.

Big hugs and love to you and your family. RIP Gato Blanco:(

catmandu
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
We are so sorry to hear of your Senor Guapo Blanco , and its so sad when our Cats once spry and lively get older and ill before our eyes, despite our and our Vets best efforts.
Senor Guapo Blanco has been met at the Rainbow Bridge by Our Animal Angel Army and he will dine at the finest International Restaurant in Switzerland .
Senor Guapo Blanco looks magnifico with his wings of Silver And Gold
and will enjoy Paradise and will start searching for a place where he and his family can meet once more in love.
One Fine Day:D

Taz_Zoee
09-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I am in tears as I read through this thread. :( I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. Please give condolences to your mom as well. I also went through this a couple months ago with my heart kitty. And as much as you may not want to believe it, you did do the right thing for him. I still have doubts every once in a while, but its true.

RIP Senor Guapo Blanco Gato, you were loved by several in your short time here.

allmycats
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't know whether I should have an autopsy done to find out what is ailing him, or just let him go.

if you have to let him go for his sake, that takes courage and love on your part. I know how hard that dicision is, I had to have a young cat pts years some ago.

only 5 yeas old, that is very hard, I am so sorry for your grief.:(:(

as for the autopsy, contact the nearest university, or ask your vet about it,sometimes universities will do autopsies for less because they learn from it.

I know that is a morbid thought, but if you can learn what happened to him, maybe it is something to consider.

Medusa
09-11-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm so sorry to read this about Senor Guapo. RIP, dear kitty and peace to your humans. :love:

Anikaca77
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Rest in peace sweet one.

Melissa

Jenn&Dean
09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Thank you guys SOOOOO much. You have been very helpful. I appreciate all the kind words everyone has said.

It being the next day, I know while a difficult decision, I know we made the right one. When I spoke to my Mom after she had him put to sleep, she said there was no way we could let him go on. We have no idea what illness could have made his health decline so quickly. We decided not to have an autopsy done, just to let him be.

I am going home tomorrow to put him to rest, thank you all again. You've made me feel so much better.

I made it through the first day, and now I can look at the brighter side, knowing he has no pain, and he will always be beautiful.

All of you please have a wonderful weekend!

Jenn