PDA

View Full Version : Question

nancys
09-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone - I haven't posted for quite awhile. How is everyone? My cat Monster got out of the house a few weeks ago and was outdoors 3 or 4 days. He was so scared (because he is not an outdoors cat), that it was 3 or 4 days before he would even let me get close enough to pick him up. Anyway he ended up with fleas (yecch). I first bought Flea spray at a discount store, but it didn't seem to be working, so I went to the vet yesterday and bought Frontline spray to use. I sprayed him yesterday and last nite I noticed he was really scratching around his neck. WHY? Is the spray not working? Sorry everyone, but as I told the vet I am freaking out about the flea problem.

Jenn&Dean
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I once had a flea infestation. I got the Frontline monthly application, then I got a flea comb to get off the live fleas. It took quite a while to get rid of them. I would say the better part of two weeks.

I would try to get a flea come... See if that helps.

Good Luck.

Jenn

lvpets2002
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
:) I will agree it takes a while.. I would also start doing some shampooing with the baby.. Get your Vet to get you some Flea Shampoo & also use the Flea Comb.. Fleas can be some toughfees to get rid of.. You will also need to spray every where the baby has been in the house & bedding.. Good Luck
I once had a flea infestation. I got the Frontline monthly application, then I got a flea comb to get off the live fleas. It took quite a while to get rid of them. I would say the better part of two weeks.

I would try to get a flea come... See if that helps.

Good Luck.

Jenn

moosmom
09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
The problem with flea infestation is that unless you get all the ones that have taken up residence in your home via rugs, furniture, etc., by flea bombing the entire place, the flea problem will continue.

You need to flea bomb BEFORE you bring your kitty back into the house. Then put Frontline on him. Otherwise the ones inside your house will be hopping the fur train again.

That's exactly the advice my vet gave me and it worked!!! I had an infestation after I moved into my friend's apartment with my Mollie Rose (then a kitten). The infestation was SO bad, Mollie Rose was anemic and actually could've died. Turns out my friend's dog was covered in them, as was our entire apartment. After spending over $200 for flea bomb stuff and taking the dog to the vet for a very serious flea bath, the fleas disappeared.

GILL
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Moosmom is right. Fleas can multiply at an alarming rate. We too also lost one of babies to fleas. I'm one of the first to get the bites. Now if I even think there a flea in the house, and YOU could bring them in, I round all kids up load them in the trailer and bomb the house. One good thing is the bombs kill all the spiders and centipedes too. The bombs I use we have to be out of the house for over 4 hours. When we come back in each kid goes right to the bath tub for a flea bath. the whole process takes us 9-12 hours. The last time we did it we only had 9 cats, now we are 16.

jenluckenbach
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Fleas are undoubtedly hard to get rid of, but be VERY careful how many and how often you use flea products!!! You want the bugs dead, not your cat.

Also, keep in mind that a flea bite, similar to a mosquito bite, will itch the cat for a while.

catmandu
09-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I use advantage as My Vet sells me the Dog Sized Tubes which work out to a lot less than the Cat Sized per Cat.
I put it on Tubster Panther all the time and that helps keep them down.
I have flea allergies myself and a bite on the ankle itches so much.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anikaca77
09-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree with what everyone is saying but be very careful with the flea bombs, not too long ago I took in a cat who was left in a house where a flea bomb was used nad he was put down, he had other issues before the flea bomb was set off.

I did a lot of research into the flea bomb and they say you should wipe down everything in the house after the flea bomb is set off to avoid any contact of the flea bomb with your pets. I would just do some research online and they will give you helpful tips about how to properly set off a flea bomb.

Melissa

nancys
09-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone. I did read what everyone wrote after I posted a few days and did flea bomb my house. One thing about that though - Mollie & Monster are not outdoor cats and did not want to go back outdoors so I could set it off. I actually think Monster is still mad at me because I put him out. Anyway I have "bombed" my house, sprayed & combed all the babies, scrubbed & cleaned, so I hope the little critters are gone!