PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of knives???

pomtzu
09-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I have a bunch of (formerly) sharp knives that I am getting ready to get rid of, however I am reluctant to just put them in my regular trash that goes to a landfill.

Any ideas of how to dispose of them in a safe manner?

Cataholic
09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Are they unable to be re-sharpened? Otherwise, I would somehow bend the tip, or sink them into something.

Randi
09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Sink them into milk cartons - if you have those. ;) You could wrap tape around them too.

Karen
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Rather than getting rid of them, try putting them up on Freecycle in your area, and I bet they will find a new home.

Otherwise, the was to dispose of them safely is to wrap the blade in duct tape, a few layers would do fine.

RICHARD
09-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Would you be interested in sending the to my friend, Norman Bates?

Please?

Norman Bates
c/o Bates Hotel
1313 Blackbird Lane.
Midtown U.S.A.
:rolleyes:;)

pomtzu
09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Most have serrated blades which I can't sharpen
Freecycle is out - bad experience with a weirdo and I won't list my address
Norman Bates - now there's a thought

I'll probably end up wrapping the blades really good, and either putting them in the trash, or maybe in a Goodwill or Salvation Army bin. They could probably get a few bucks out of them.

TamanduaGirl
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Goodwill or other thrift store usually take them.

Maybe take them to a metal recycler.

Freedom
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Ellie, I use Freecycle, I NEVER list my address! I take emails for response, and sometimes I list my phone number (which is unpublished, so no one can back track it to me.)

Sometimes I'll have someone come to the house for a pick up, mostly we meet at the super market parking lot. The stuff is free after all!

As for the knives: Salvation Army / Goodwill sound good. Or call your Town Hall, they will redirect you to the trash collection for your town. They will tell you how to handle it. I call all the time as I am cleaning out my folks' stuff (shhh, don't tell my dad!)

kitten645
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I Freecycle alot and have never had an issue. Did you post your address on the email that was sent out to the group or just to the weirdo? I hope you notified the group moderator? They can take action by banning the person.
Claudia

PS, I wouldn't just throw them in the garbage as they will go to landfill and be there for all time pretty much..wrapped or unwrapped. Someone must be able to use them?

blue
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
You could just throw them at random people.:)

slick
09-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Would you be interested in sending the to my friend, Norman Bates?

Please?

Norman Bates
c/o Bates Hotel
1313 Blackbird Lane.
Midtown U.S.A.
:rolleyes:;)
LOLOLOLOLOL :D:D:D:D Oh Richard....what would we do without you???

RICHARD
09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL :D:D:D:D Oh Richard....what would we do without you???

Better?;):D

If it wasn't for you all?

I wouldn't be funny.

Pam
09-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Otherwise, the was to dispose of them safely is to wrap the blade in duct tape, a few layers would do fine.

I did exactly this when I was throwing out some old knives that my MIL had given me. What would we all do without duct tape? :p:D

Catherinedana
09-09-2009, 09:27 AM
You could just throw them at random people.:)

Or start a knife throwing act. . .there is someone here at my job that I will volunteer as your assistant. . .:p

Did I just say that?

pomtzu
09-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Or start a knife throwing act. . .there is someone here at my job that I will volunteer as your assistant. . .:p

Did I just say that?

:D:D:D:D:D

You should have spoken up sooner. I went the duct tape route.....:eek: