PDA

View Full Version : New Dogs!! More pix #6 & #7

Taz_Zoee
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
No not mine.
Ok, my brother and his family have been talking about getting another dog since Boo passed away back in May. We had an adorable Lab mix puppy at the shelter I volunteer at. They drove about two hours down here to get her only to have someone else adopt her right when they got there. Because the people at the shelter wouldn't hold her or even let ME adopted her for them. :mad: So they spent their day driving for nothing. :(
While they were on their way down I called my mom and told them and she said they could have the dog she has there. I laughed and kept talking. Then she said it again. And I said Pepsi (her dog) is glued to her hip and that wouldn't work. She said "I'm not talking about Pepsi". WHAT?!?! :eek: That morning she heard cars honking and slowing down in front of the house. They live out in the country. So her and Pepsi went down the driveway to see what was going on. She found a small white dog (she says poodle, but it doesn't sound like a poodle) walking along the side of the road. She was filthy dirty but her nails were painted pink.
My niece came over and helped give her a bath and my mom is still debating on if she even wants to return her to her owners, since they obviously didn't take very good care of her. She was covered with fleas and we think she might have been rolled under a car. She had grease on her back and a burn on her head. So she's still debating on what to do with her. Right now she calls her "the little dog". My dad said to name her Coca-Cola because they already have Pepsi. But she's white not brown. So I thought Sprite. :) But we'll have to see what happens with her. I'm requesting pictures of her to post here, I haven't even seen her yet!

Anyway, my brother and his family went today to a shelter to look at some puppies. And here is what they came home with.
Please meet Abbie...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/Taz_Zoee/2009/Dogs/CA855_14513522-1-pn.jpg
And her brother Jake...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/Taz_Zoee/2009/Dogs/CA855_14513481-1-pn.jpg

These are the pictures from the shelters website. They are 7 weeks old (not sure why they let them go so early) and their mom is a black lab. No clue what dad is. I say German Shepherd from the looks of Abbie at least.
So these are Zoee and Taggarts new cousins!! :D :D I'll post more pictures when they send me some. I've been requesting them ALL day!! LOL

cassiesmom
09-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Abbie and Jake are adorable! Bless your mom and niece for helping little Sprite.

K9karen
09-07-2009, 09:28 PM
OOOWEEE! Your bro adopted 2 dogs? Well! Bless that family! Abbie and Jake are ador-a-ble! They're gonna have the busiest household! And your mom and Pepsi are angels! Ya know, there's a book that I got years ago called "Saving Sprite" (something like that), who was white and their other dog was Pepsi! So you did a good job naming "the little dog". I loved this post!

lute
09-08-2009, 08:18 AM
WOW! Two puppies at once! Good luck to your brother and his family!

That's so nice of your mom and niece to help Sprite! Idk if it's a good idea to not look for her owners. What if she has been missing for a long time and she is not normally in that condition.

happylabs
09-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Oh my goodnes. I'll take the second one! Soooo cute.

Taz_Zoee
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I suggested to my mom to keep an eye out if anyone is posting that they are missing a dog. If the person that is missing her really wants her back they'd make an effort. Plus, she'll probably see if she is chipped.

I have attached a couple more pix of Abbie and Jake. Photobucket wasn't being nice this morning so I had to attach.

I thought they were crazy for getting TWO puppies too. But they have older children so there are basically 3 adults and a 15 year old in the house. That should make things easier.

Taz_Zoee
09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
It's official, the dogs name is Sprite!! :D They are going to take her to see if she is chipped and they are on the lookout for missing dog posters or ads in the local paper.
I'm working on getting her picture from my phone so I can post it here. I'd like to know what you guys think she is, breed wise.

I figured it out sooner than I thought. I've attached her picture below. :) What do you think her breed is?

Husky_mom
09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
puppies are fun... Jake is a heart breaker.. or should I say melter..

I really do hope if Sprite has owners that they look for her.... I´d be crazy if anyone got Queeq and decide to keep her.. but then again I´m looking...

Sprite looks poodle-ish... and sort of Bichon-ish... I think

chocolatepuppy
09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh my gosh! What cute puppies! Abbie and Jake! :D (I like the name Jake.;)) Brave people taking on two puppies.:eek: Thanks for sharing them with us, we will expect updates.;) Sprite looks like a Poodle to me.

Seravieve
09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Abbie and Jake are ADORABLE! They're so lucky to get to be together growing up. That will be lots of fun! Sprite looks like a poodle to me too. Looks very similar to my dad's miniature poodle.

Taz_Zoee
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I thought poodles had longer muzzles though. Am I wrong? Where's Pam when we need her???
There was just a poodle in ARF this past Saturday and he had the long nose. This dog is not a puppy, she is an adult dog. She hasn't been to the vet to determine her estimated age yet, but my mom knows she's not a puppy.

K9karen
09-08-2009, 11:07 PM
That's so funny that you should mention our Poodle Pro Pam! I immediately thought of her too! :D

Sprite's story reminded me of how Pam got Ripley! Dirty and disheveled.... lost or disgarded? Anyway, truly, I hope your mom gets to keep her if nobody claims her. If her nails were painted, maybe she got loose and travelled a long distance. In any case, I hope Sprite's owners get good vibes that Sprite is safe and well taken care of.

Pam
09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought poodles had longer muzzles though. Am I wrong? Where's Pam when we need her???

Here I am! :) Oh my gosh.....puppies and a poodle/poodle mix! How precious they all are!! My co-worker adopted two sheltie puppies at the same time. She just couldn't decide between them. She said it was very easy to housebreak them and they learned "manners" :) quickly. Even though they are littermates their personalities are like night and day. It will be interesting to see how these two develop. :) Very very cute!

Now for the question of Mz. Sprite... ;) A shaved muzzle looks longer! If her face was shaved she would, of course, look more like a poodle. :p Even when my dogs were puppies they never really looked like poodles until I shaved their faces. :p How is that for an unscientific assessment? LOL! You could check her tail. Most poodles have had some docking done to their tails. I believe they remove about 1/3 of the original tail but I just can't remember. Is there anything resembling a pom on the end of her tail? I think she was probably loved and cared for at one point (her painted nails). I can't help but think that someone is grieving. Ripley was a mess but it was unclear how long he had been on his own. I am guessing it was quite a while since he was very thin and the gals at the shelter said he needed to put on a few pounds, which I happily helped him do. He was bony and weighed 11 lbs. when I got him and has sort of set his own weight at 14 lbs. which the vet says is good. I say all of that just to say that it is possible for a dog to be on their own for a while which I think Ripley was due to his skinny condition. :( Then again, on the other hand, he was not neutered, and anyone with any brains would have had him neutered. :mad: It will be interesting to see if she is chipped and has been spayed. I wish everyone well though!!!

P.S. Back to the original question.....white poodles and black poodles have the "wooliest" fur. Given the fact that Sprite is not very wooly she may be a mix. Then again if she is very young she may not have her adult wooly coat yet. Hard to say!

Taz_Zoee
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Ahhh, thank you Pam!! :D
Yeah, my mom said she has a long tail, actually. And that her fur is big soft curls. I will get more specific details of her once I see her in person.
I will be going to my parents on the 24th of this month. So I will get to finally see these three pups. My brother lives right next door to my parents. I will make sure to get pictures of them to post for you. And I will also post pics of the puppies regularly so you can watch them grow. :)

Pam
09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Ahhh, thank you Pam!! :D
Yeah, my mom said she has a long tail, actually. And that her fur is big soft curls.

I am thinking more of a bichon then but we need to ask Freedom for the specifics on that! ;) I will look forward to updates as the puppies grow up! :)

robinh
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Does she have freckles under her curls? Under their fur/hair a bichon's body has irregular shaped peachy spots. She looks a lot like my Kirby. Wish I knew how to post a picture of him.

Taz_Zoee
09-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Does she have freckles under her curls? Under their fur/hair a bichon's body has irregular shaped peachy spots. She looks a lot like my Kirby. Wish I knew how to post a picture of him.

I'm not sure about this. I'll have to ask my mom tomorrow, or wait until I see her myself (this is if she is still there a couple weeks from now).

Yes, Pam, we'll have to get Sandie to weigh in on this too. :D Because Bichon is the first thing I thought of. Maybe she's a Bichon/Poodle mix. :confused:

Freedom
09-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh my, adopting sibling puppies, your brother is a great animal person I suspect! Those 2 are really adorable, and I am glad to hear we will get periodic photo updates as they grow.

Spritz is a cutie, I am pleased your mom and Pepsi rescued her from the road! :eek: She does look bichon with the halo eyes and the muzzle, she looks lots like my Lacey.

I'd love to see more of her. Bichons vs. Poodles: Bichons have short legs in comparison to their body, and a stocky, square body build. Poodles have longer legs and a sleek body build, along the lines of a Greyhound or Whippet. And as Pam mentioned, the tails are usually docked on poodles. Bichon tails curl up over the back and have long plumes, but that depends on age and the cut given too.

Whatever she is, she is adorable!

Oh as for the pink nails: My RB Ozzy was neglected in the home he was in when I picked him up. Non the less, the 8 year old painted his nail blood red. :rolleyes: So that fact that the nails were painted, that alone doesn't mean much to me.

cloverfdx
09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Cute puppies, you Brother is going to have twice the fun and training of raising two pups ;). The first pup looks like my Clover did as a baby.

I still don't understand why people think it is fine to keep stray dogs, just because they look 'neglected'. The dog could have been missing for months, stolen etc. I hope the out come for the little dog is good, and that there is a family out there missing her.

Taz_Zoee
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks Sandie! I will get better pictures if she's still there in a couple weeks. :)

Cute puppies, you Brother is going to have twice the fun and training of raising two pups ;). The first pup looks like my Clover did as a baby.

I still don't understand why people think it is fine to keep stray dogs, just because they look 'neglected'. The dog could have been missing for months, stolen etc. I hope the out come for the little dog is good, and that there is a family out there missing her.

I call my brother the Dog Whisperer. He has a way with dogs that is amazing. Yeah, more of a challenge with two puppies. He's used to older dogs. :)

They are not keeping her unless she is not claimed. They will see if she is micro-chipped and look for any lost dog posters or ads. I told them (and asked my nieces to help) to make posters. They will do what they want. I can't force them to do something. And actually the only thing about her that would classify as neglect was she was covered with fleas. She's not too skinny or sickly.
And you're right she could have been stolen. And might be FAR away from her original home. How do we know? We just have to see if anyone in the area is looking for her. My parents are not horrible people that would keep her if she has owners. They want what's best for the dog. If she needs a home, she's got one.