PDA

View Full Version : Fish people, please help! I need to know what kind of cichlid this is, please!

luckies4me
09-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Here are pictures of the cichlid and pleco that were dumped off on my door step. I have no idea what type of cichlid this is. I have searched everywhere online to try to find a picture of one that looks like her, if it is indeed a female. I need to know how to care for her. We just transitioned her and the pleco into a 20 gallon tall tank. We have a 65 we will be putting them in once I get everything moved from my boyfriends over here. Yes, I still need to add more gravel, put a background up and add her rocks. Just waiting for my bf to bring them over. I love love love fish, but I was absolutely not prepared for these guys to be left at my house. I need to know what to put in the tank. I read that cichlids really like places to hide, and like to have rocks in their tanks so we will be adding those. Right now I just threw in what I had laying around, so they had at least something. Heck, I don't even know if rocks are exceptable because I don't know what she is. So I am attaching photos of her in hopes that someone may be able to help me.

She is a beautiful fish. They were in extremely bad shape when I got them. She still isn't 100%. Her color has gotten so much brighter since she's been in my care. They were both left in a ten gallon tank and supposedly had been living in that for 2 years or more!!! I was so scared that putting them in this bigger tank would kill them, so I waited until they got a bit healthier to switch them. I know she will need something bigger, but for now this will have to suffice. She seems a lot happier, actually having room to swim. I really am attached to her. She eats out of my hand and loves to be petted. She gets excited whenever I come near the tank. :D

I stayed up for 5 hours the other night just checking on her to make sure she was OK after adding them to this new tank. I'd just really like to know what type of cichlid she is so I can read up on them and make sure she has everything that she needs. She is still being treated for her infections but overall looks so much better, and you can tell that she is so much happier in this bigger tank. Her appetite has increased dramatically. Right now she is being fed the Hikari pellets, Cichlid Gold. I also give her a couple crickets, flies, and wax worms every now and then. She loves them! Should she be eating smaller fish?

Right now the tank temp is at 75 degress. I'm not sure if this is correct but since adding the heater she has more energy. I just really love this fish, and it would be nice to see her fully healthy and happy. Plus, I'm excited about setting up the tank. Once we get the 65 over here it's going to look awesome! :D

Thanks in advance! I know they are expensive to keep, but like I said, I am attached to her already so no matter what the cost I want to do right by her.

luckies4me
09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Also, she may look OK in these pictures but she isn't healthy like a normal fish. Her scales have problems and she had tons of body fungus when I got her. But she does look much better.

luckies4me
09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
More pictures.

luckies4me
09-05-2009, 02:58 PM
The last picture is how they were left at my house. Can you believe it? OMG it was so much diriter than it looks in the photo too. It had an undergravel filter underneath the rock and when I removed it there must have been about two inches of fish feces. I don't think the tank had been cleaned in months. :( You can see how bad she looked in that photo, and how much better she looks now.

Casper
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM
The thumbnails won't load for me, but she looks to be a Jack Dempsey.
No need to feed her smaller fish. A variety of pellets will do just fine.
Oh, and she will very much appreciate that 65 gallon as 55 gallons is pretty much minimum.

Thanks for taking her in! Cichlids are the best fish in the world... I'm not biased at all! :D

Good luck!

luckies4me
09-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Ya I can't wait to move her into the bigger tank. She is pretty big. Can I put any other fish in with her? What about temp? Should she/he have a friend? I just don't want to shock her. She was in that tiny place for so long. Seriously, I waited up pretty much all night to make sure she was OK after switching her. What about plants and rocks? I've always loved cichlids, just have no experience. I will go look at Jack Dempsey pictures. Thank you!!!:D

Casper
09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Hmm... I still can't get the thumbnails to work, but assuming its a Jack....

Can I put any other fish in with her?
This totally depends on her personality. I have seen jacks that do wonderful in a cichlid community tank as long as its tankmates could hold their own. Since you don't have much experience with cichlids, and since the aquarium is only 65g, I would suggest just letting her have the tank to herself.

What about temp?
I keep my cichlids in the high seventies.

What about plants and rocks?
Cichlids love rocks and caves and such. As for plants... cichlids are notorious for destroying them. Fake plants might be the way to go, but if you want live ones just say the word and I can direct you to some good ones to use with cichlids.

luckies4me
09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Ya she's a Jack alright lol. Just got done reading up on them. Yes, she already uprooted all the live plants I put in there. So I guess my betta will have a really nice planted tank now lol. I would still like to use some type of live plants, so direct away, and thank you so much for your help!!!

Casper
09-05-2009, 04:33 PM
To help with the uprooting you can barricade your plants by surrounding them with rocks large enough so your cichlid can't move them. Make sure the rocks are anchoring the plant's roots. As simple as it sounds, it works for my tanks. I don't have problems with them eating the actual plants, just rearranging the tank.

Here are a few plants that have done well in my cichlid tanks:
Anubias
Java Moss (It varies... some fish love shredding it)
Microsorium (Java Fern)
Echinodorus
Vallisneria
Cryptocoryne

I certainly don't guarantee that you can successfully keep live plants with yours, as some Jacks can be absolute pests when it comes to that....
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

chocolatepuppy
09-07-2009, 08:21 AM
She's a beautiful fish! Good luck with her.:)