PDA

View Full Version : Quoting Etiquette. What annoys you more?

blue
09-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Which type of quoting annoys you more...

The multi quote function or responding to each quote with individual posts?

Sorry, I messed up the original poll. My apologises.

Cinder & Smoke
09-04-2009, 11:20 PM
* NOT repeat every word the original writer posted

I guess I rest my case.

blue
09-04-2009, 11:25 PM
* Excessively LONG "QUOTES" that take up multiple screen-fulls to display! :mad:

A "Quote" for discussion or emphasis should be:

* BRIEF
* Short
* Consice
* NOT too wordy
* Be a SUMMARY of the original poster's important thought
* NOT repeat every word the original writer posted

:)

That can lead to problems. Quotes can be taken out of context is a prime example.

Karen
09-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I find it easier when someone just responds clearly to the points, without having to pull quote after quote.

To everyone - editing someone's text that you quote is completely verboten - forbidden. Completely and utterly. Taking simple sentences out of context can also be misleading and rude.

This is NOT, however, a forum for debates. If you really want to debate things like politics seriously, there are many, many other places to do so. This is Pet Talk, where we should all be kinder than we might be elsewhere, because here we know we are among people with whom we have something basic in common - our love for our pets.

On other matters, it is sometimes best to agree to disagree, or to hold one's tongue.

blue
09-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I find it easier when someone just responds clearly to the points, without having to pull quote after quote.

That can get confusing if one is responding to more then 2 or 3 posts from more then 2 or 3 people.

For the rest of it Im not going to poke the bear.

blue
09-05-2009, 01:51 AM
* NOT repeat every word the original writer postedI guess I rest my case.

So this would be a case of...

editing someone's text that you quote is completely verboten - forbidden. Completely and utterly.

;)

happylabs
09-05-2009, 06:59 AM
I voted for turkey bacon. :D

pomtzu
09-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Turkey bacon got my vote too. That stuff is nasty. It even makes my grandson sick, and he can eat just about anything.........:p

Randi
09-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Me too!

Or like Phred says, if you quote someone, quote only the text that is relevant.

mrspunkysmom
09-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Well if "quote only the text that is relevant " had been offered as a option, I would have chosen that, but in the great scheme of things, the turkey bacon was of more importance. Turkey is great but it doesn't cook the same way as pork or beef. Turkey burgers don't cut the mustard, either, which is too strong for turkey anyway.

Taz_Zoee
09-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Turkey burgers don't cut the mustard, either, which is too strong for turkey anyway.

We ONLY eat turkey burgers in this house. Bruce has experimented and found the perfect way to make them so they aren't dry and gag you. He adds onion, garlic and hamburger seasoning to them. They are YUMMY!!

I voted turkey bacon too. :p

Oh, and as far as the quotes go. I'd say quote only the part you want to comment on........as I did above. :)

allmycats
09-29-2009, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=Karen;2185788]To everyone - editing someone's text that you quote is completely verboten - forbidden. Completely and utterly. Taking simple sentences out of context can also be misleading and rude.QUOTE]

so does this mean we are suppoed to use the whole quote and NOT edit it?:confused: sorry I am just not sure...:confused:

and speaking of quotes...what am I doing wrong? why do my posts have the "quote" word but others seem to have their quotes in a box in their posts??

Lady's Human
09-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Your post above is missing the [/ before then end of the quote tag.

Karen
09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
To everyone - editing someone's text that you quote is completely verboten - forbidden. Completely and utterly. Taking simple sentences out of context can also be misleading and rude.

so does this mean we are suppoed to use the whole quote and NOT edit it?:confused: sorry I am just not sure...:confused:

and speaking of quotes...what am I doing wrong? why do my posts have the "quote" word but others seem to have their quotes in a box in their posts??

No, that means that you cannot use a quote but change its contents - like quoting something that says "then I heard Mr Smith say" and changing it
to be "then I heard Mr Poopyhead say"

do you understand?

It is certainly fine to quote just one sentence, if that is what you are responding to. In fact that's the best thing to do in many circumstances.

allmycats
09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
ok I got it, yeah I understand, thank you!:D

Asiel
09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I went with turkey bacon - I tried it only once and got sick and wasted my whole breakfast.

Catherinedana
09-30-2009, 01:27 PM
The FLock votes for turkey bacon.

I don't eat bacon. . .it gives me massive heart burn.

So does excessive quoting.

Cheers!

pomtzu
09-30-2009, 02:08 PM
.it gives me massive heart burn.

So does excessive quoting.

Yup - reading it once is usually more than enough! ;)