PDA

View Full Version : Pit bull happy ending

cassiesmom
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
This was in today's Chicago Tribune. I don't want to start up the good/bad discussion about pit bulls again by posting this - it has been discussed in other threads. I just wanted to share it because it has a very happy ending. I like the point made in the third paragraph from the bottom about when someone hears the words "pit bull". I'm glad the Trib gave the breed such positive coverage today.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-pit-bulls-sw-zonesep04,0,6075615.story

lizbud
09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
A great story. :) Thanks for sharing. This breed was picked to serve
as fighters to earn money for the people who own them, precisely because
of the PB's personality & how much they love to please humans. Ironic isn't
it? I love reading success stories.:)

blue
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for sharing the story, that is great.

Grace
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank for posting this. We've been following the dogs out at Best Friends - and it's nice to see that other organizations are helping these dogs.

cassiesmom
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I was in line at Petsmart yesterday (after I logged out of PT) behind a young man with a pit bull. My first time to see one in person. She was all white except for a few small brown spots. And she had a pink "smudge" on her nose, like she had gotten into mommy's make-up. I've seen pictures of fair colored dogs on PT who have a similar mark. She was a little antsy in line, but there were some kids a short distance away, looking at the fish, and she was watching them. I didn't ask to pet her because she was very interested in the kids - I just said "Hello, white doggie" and she right went back to watching the kids! She wasn't any more antsy than any other dog I've been in line behind. The cashier asked about her, and the man said she was adopted from a rescue program. He said she has a lot of energy, so they have been taking walks at the forest preserve on these nice days. The man was buying her dog food (good dog food) and a new toy. The cashier asked if the dog could have a treat, and the man said no problem but he would prefer to give it to her (I'm not sure why). It could have been any dog on the end of the leash, watching the kids looking at the fish. See, PT'ers, what you've taught me? All dogs of a certain breed can't be lumped together.

Thanks for letting me share,
Elyse

MoonandBean
09-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Aww Elyse, I wish Sunny and I were in line behind you and you could say "hello white doggie" to her too :)

cassiesmom
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I had another interesting dog encounter; may I share again? Here goes. On Monday after work I was in line to pick up dry cleaning. A young man had parked and joined the line after me and his dog was in the car watching for him. I said awww, your dog is waiting for you - and he said, "Isn't she cute? She is a rescue from a raid on a known gang house. There were puppies being raised allegedly for fighting, so they called in animal control. I got a call from a friend who works there and that's how she became my dog. She's a big softie, great with the neighbors' kids." I asked if he knew where the dogs went after animal control and he said that when there are a number of dogs like this, or animal hoarder situations, they contact other shelters who can take the dogs longer-term and evaluate them for placement with families. He said he would like to take her for special classes to become a canine visitor to hospitalized children or elderly people in nursing homes. I thought that was a great story. Thank goodness there was a long line at the dry cleaner so I got to hear it all!

cassiesmom
10-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Aww Elyse, I wish Sunny and I were in line behind you and you could say "hello white doggie" to her too :)

Hi, Sunny, sweetheart! Mmwah! :love:

MoonandBean
10-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Elyse :)

WOof,
Sunny

cassiesmom
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Did anybody else see on Animal Planet the story about the pit bull (I think his name was Rocket) who'd had a leg amputated after an accident and was selected for training to become a canine therapy dog? I didn't see the beginning of it, so I missed how the young man working with Rocket got involved in that program. And I fell asleep before it ended! Did they make it through their training?

Thanks,
Elyse

KYS
01-02-2010, 08:39 PM
lizbud: precisely because
of the PB's personality & how much they love to please humans. >>>>>>>>

I also enjoy reading success stories with feel good happy endings.:)

animal_rescue
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Did anybody else see on Animal Planet the story about the pit bull (I think his name was Rocket) who'd had a leg amputated after an accident and was selected for training to become a canine therapy dog? I didn't see the beginning of it, so I missed how the young man working with Rocket got involved in that program. And I fell asleep before it ended! Did they make it through their training?

Thanks,
Elyse

I just watched that episode last night actually! Pit Bulls and Parolees is one of my favorite tv shows. Sadly no he didn't pass, during the test he was suppose to walk past a dog and ignore it and instead of ignoring him he was trying to sniff him, so he failed. He had done everything else right though and they said they were going to go again after they worked some more.

amberlynn
01-02-2010, 10:32 PM
i own two pits myself and they are the most loyal and loving dogs that i have....they play wonderfully wit the little dogs.....my female has actually saved my life.....they are wonderful breed of dogs but they can be very hard headed and stubborn

apbtmom76
01-03-2010, 07:09 AM
What a great story, actually Cassiesmom your stories were wonderful as well, is always nice to see and hear the good stories, we so very often hear just the bad. I am the owner of 4 APBT's, well 3 full and a APBT/Lab mix, lol and I too can say they are wonderful dogs, I have one that is a certified therapy dog, that goes to the nursing homes, she loves the elderly, they are great at giving hugs, I am going to see about this next school year, setting up a program with the schools to take her in to teach kids HOW to aproach and ask to pet a dog, how to read a dog's body language and such. Keep the positive attitude :D Thanks for sharing :D